Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

SNL General Discussion Thread

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-21, 12:14 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 80 Likes on 66 Posts
re: SNL General Discussion Thread

Arguing Affirmative action for Asian dudes, I like where this thread is going.
Old 07-14-21, 07:03 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 842 Likes on 687 Posts

Originally Posted by Paff
I don't think time off the show has anything to do with it. I don't know where Carvey lives, but if it ain't NY I'm doubting he wants to travel to Manhattan several Saturdays during the season. And I'm also betting he wants more money than Lorne or NBC is willing to shell out.

Maybe or since he was so good at impressions Lorne might think it would make the younger SNL stars uncomfortable and ruin their growth on the show or the equivalent of bringing back John Elway to take over Drew Lock's job.

Old 07-14-21, 09:33 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,263 Likes on 900 Posts

On a related note, I thought it was odd that they never had Alec Baldwin back on in 2021 to thank him for coming on to play Trump over and over. I know some Trump Haters also hated his impression, but it seems like Baldwin was doing SNL a solid. Let Lorne shake his hand, and let Baldwin take a bow.
Old 07-15-21, 02:52 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Trump was out of office so maybe they did not want to bring back those Trump memories.
Old 07-15-21, 07:52 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,241 Likes on 1,720 Posts

Originally Posted by JeffTheAlpaca
Maybe or since he was so good at impressions Lorne might think it would make the younger SNL stars uncomfortable and ruin their growth on the show or the equivalent of bringing back John Elway to take over Drew Lock's job.
I dunno, Lorne didn't seem to mind Maya Rudolph taking over a show or two...
Old 07-15-21, 08:59 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 443 Likes on 314 Posts

It won't surprise me to see Alec back at some point as host or reprising that role. I hear he will be reinstated as guest host in August.
Old 07-16-21, 04:09 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 126 Likes on 99 Posts

Originally Posted by Count Dooku
How much you wanna bet this was part of his submission package?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B9qTB6beAOk

Hilarious! Listen to that audience roar!!
Performers don't have a submission package,they are simply listed on the ballot with name/photo

And while the above isn't funny at all his titanic iceberg sketch
is one of the most popular from SNL last year

I'd agree with you about Beck Bennett is talented but he just hasn't really had that big breakthrough viral moment. And largely because of how much stuff he does with Kyle Mooney he often is seen as a duo with him so they cancel each others chances out of getting any kind of emmy noms ever
Old 07-16-21, 05:51 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by AaronHernandez
Performers don't have a submission package,they are simply listed on the ballot with name/photo
You are correct. Nominations are based on a ballot vote from the nominees' peer group (performer vote for performers). In Yang's category, 240+ performers submitted themselves for nomination, and Yang was one of the top 8 finalists.

At the same time, when performers submit themselves for nomination, they must also upload a video file containing the work for which they want to be considered. These videos are the ones watched by the final level of voters that choose the winner.

The Academy asks for volunteers among the members to judge the nominees and choose the winners in each category. The volunteer judges are grouped by peers, but everyone votes in the outstanding program categories. In decades past, judging panels met in Los Angeles and watched all of the nominated shows and performances in a two-day marathon. Rod Serling, the man behind the "Twilight Zone" series, devised the judging panel idea in the 1960s, when he was president of the academy. He and others wanted to make sure that the judges actually watched the nominees, rather than just voting for their favorite individuals.

In 2000, the Academy decided to allow members to volunteer to watch tapes of the nominees in their own homes and on their own schedules. This meant that more people could vote in the final process; television critics and others had criticized the former voting procedure, saying that only older people with more time on their hands would volunteer to participate in an inconvenient, time-consuming judging process. Opponents of the new, more relaxed judging process say that there is no guarantee that the voters will watch the tapes. Essentially, the members are on the honor system, and the volunteer voters mail their ballots to Ernst & Young for tabulation.
Old 08-06-21, 08:46 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Some articles starting to come out about the next season. It appears Loren Michales wants to retain as many cast members for the next three years to hit the 50th season.

Cecily Strong is talking about bowing out though, she is one of my favorites so I would hate to see her go.
https://nypost.com/2021/08/05/cecily...for-season-47/
Old 08-06-21, 04:49 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by jpcamb
Some articles starting to come out about the next season. It appears Loren Michales wants to retain as many cast members for the next three years to hit the 50th season.
I haven't read any articles but it is an intriguing situation. In the past, there would be a turning of the page with the cast and the show would need to go through a rebuilding period. Is Michael's just looking to ride things out fro three more years to get to 50 and go? If that's the case then it makes sense that he has no interest in beating the bushes for new stars. I wonder if NBC is ready to be done with SNL in 2025?
Old 08-06-21, 08:42 PM
DVD Talk Legend

No way it is a institution and will last for eternity.

I hope McKinnon stays.
Old 08-06-21, 09:39 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3,545 Likes on 2,254 Posts

Cecily Strong is talking about bowing out though, she is one of my favorites so I would hate to see her go.
https://nypost.com/2021/08/05/cecily...for-season-47/
I’m not sure she’s got movie star power but out of all the female cast members in recent years, I can see Strong as being the most successful with her own TV series.
Old 08-06-21, 09:56 PM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 7,132 Likes on 4,840 Posts

Originally Posted by GoldenJCJ
I’m not sure she’s got movie star power but out of all the female cast members in recent years, I can see Strong as being the most successful with her own TV series.
I take it you haven't watched Schmigadoon yet?
Old 08-06-21, 10:06 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Aidy Bryant had Shrill which lasted 3 seasons and it would be hard to replace her and Strong, McKinnon, and Davidson if he leaves even though he not utilized a lot on the show but he has done several movies.
Old 08-06-21, 10:07 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3,545 Likes on 2,254 Posts

Originally Posted by Decker
I take it you haven't watched Schmigadoon yet?
I haven’t. I thought it looked pretty bad. Maybe I just proved myself wrong.

I’d like to think she’s got a hit series in her at some point*

*I haven’t followed Schmigadoon ratings. Is it a hit or not?
Old 08-07-21, 10:46 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 260 Likes on 202 Posts

I wouldn't mind if McKinnon stuck around if they could maybe cut back on her usage. She's good, but it seems like they feel the need to try and shoehorn her into every sketch, and when she does she seems to spend half the time trying to crack up her cast mates. I actually think she could do well to maybe make a movie or some Funny or Die sketches re-teaming her with Dan Levy. They work well together in their commercials.
Old 08-11-21, 09:46 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Ouch, was watching a show and Vanessa Bayer is now doing commercials for Casper Mattresses. I really liked her on SNL sad she has not had much of a career since she left.

Fixed it. Coffee-deprived brain...

Last edited by jpcamb; 08-11-21 at 10:34 AM.
Old 08-11-21, 10:29 AM

Ouch, was watching a show and Vanessa Bryant is now doing commercials for Casper Mattresses. I really liked her on SNL sad she has not had much of a career since she left.
Vanessa Bayer

Vanessa Bryant

Old 08-11-21, 12:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Ouch, was watching a show and Vanessa Bayer is now doing commercials for Casper Mattresses. .
Well, she is pretty fucking pale.
Old 08-11-21, 07:03 PM
DVD Talk Legend

She had done several movies and guest spots on Will and Grace and other sitcoms and is creating and starring in a new Showtime series in development so I would not say her career is in the toilet.

Old 08-15-21, 10:17 AM

Yikes.

Former SNL cast member Horatio Sanz has been accused of grooming and sexually assaulting a minor

By Elizabeth Joseph and Liam Reilly, CNN

CNN)Comedian and former "Saturday Night Live" cast member Horatio Sanz is accused of grooming and sexually assaulting a 17-year-old in 2002, according to a lawsuit filed in New York on Thursday.

The plaintiff -- referred to as Jane Doe -- chose not to disclose her identity in the filing because, according to the lawsuit, she was a minor at the time of the alleged non-consensual sexual contact.
In 1999, when she was 14 years old, the alleged victim "started posting on various online websites, message boards and chat rooms about SNL," the lawsuit says. In January 2000, Sanz and one of his colleagues emailed the girl, and thereafter Sanz "began his process of grooming Plaintiff," including an October 2000 in-person meeting after a taping of the show, according to the lawsuit.
Sanz is accused of engaging with the minor on AOL Instant Messenger in 2001 and steering those "conversations to discuss sex, sexual experiences, sexual activities, sexual fantasies, (and) masturbation" with the then-16-year-old, and "continued to solicit inappropriate photographs" of her.

In May 2002, the lawsuit alleges Sanz sexually abused the then-17-year-old by "kissing her, groping her breasts, groping her buttocks, and digitally penetrating her genitals forcibly and without Plaintiff's consent" at and after SNL parties.Sanz's attorney, Andrew Brettler, denies the claims made against his client, referring to them in a statement as "categorically false."The lawsuit -- which requests a jury trial in New York County Supreme Court because it seeks damages in a sum that exceeds the limits of all lower courts -- also names NBCUniversal and SNL Studios as defendants, as Sanz is their former employee. The lawsuit alleges both NBC and SNL "permitted and enabled" Sanz to groom and harm the girl.
NBC does not comment on legal matters, and Lorne Michaels, SNL's show creator, did not respond to CNN's request for comment.
Old 08-15-21, 03:32 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3,142 Likes on 2,128 Posts

Depending on how this shakes down, Conan might get the Tonight Show back.
Old 08-15-21, 04:04 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Josh-da-man
How many different ways can a 13 word sentence be misguided?
Old 08-15-21, 04:55 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 260 Likes on 202 Posts

Originally Posted by Josh-da-man

Huh?
Old 08-15-21, 04:58 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 57 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by Count Dooku
. I wonder if NBC is ready to be done with SNL in 2025?
No way. SNL is now just as iconic as the Tonight Show, it will never be cancelled.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.