DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   TV Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk-14/)
-   -   CSI: Vegas (CBS) (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk/653037-csi-vegas-cbs.html)

Shannon Nutt 10-11-21 01:57 PM

Re: CSI: Vegas (CBS)

This didn't do well in the ratings...I wonder if it will even see a Season 2. Maybe it's better suited for Paramount +?

DJariya 10-11-21 02:07 PM

Originally Posted by Shannon Nutt (Post 13996264)
This didn't do well in the ratings...I wonder if it will even see a Season 2. Maybe it's better suited for Paramount +?

Honestly you can’t compare 2021 ratings to when CSI was in its hey day. More people watched it live back then. It’s ratings are pretty on par with SWAT and that’s in season 5 now.

CBS also sold this to many international markets. And people are going to watch this on Paramount +.

Koby 10-11-21 02:14 PM

Ended up checking this out anyways and enjoyed it. Episode one leaves off with a pretty nice hook to get you to return for the next episode. Nice to see several of the old cast again. The original CSI gang was always my favorite.

I'd prefer this be one or two short seasons and done tbh. I don't think I'll stick around if ends up being 24 episode seasons for like 3+ seasons. The nostalgia of having the old gang around again only will last so long... and I doubt Petersen will be around much.

DJariya 10-11-21 02:27 PM

Originally Posted by Koby (Post 13996275)
Ended up checking this out anyways and enjoyed it. Episode one leaves off with a pretty nice hook to get you to return for the next episode. Nice to see several of the old cast again. The original CSI gang was always my favorite.

I'd prefer this be one or two short seasons and done tbh. I don't think I'll stick around if ends up being 24 episode seasons for like 3+ seasons. The nostalgia of having the old gang around again only will last so long... and I doubt Petersen will be around much.

It's a 10 episode season as I mentioned earlier.

Koby 10-11-21 02:50 PM

Originally Posted by DJariya (Post 13996285)
It's a 10 episode season as I mentioned earlier.

I know this and said I preferred it this way. However that doesn't mean they won't end up trying to make extended multiple seasons after.

MrX 10-11-21 05:22 PM

I thought it was good, but probably wouldn’t have bothered watching it if Sara and Grissom weren’t back.

I watched the original, but checked out during Danson’s run.

DWilson 10-11-21 06:29 PM

Originally Posted by Koby (Post 13996301)
I know this and said I preferred it this way. However that doesn't mean they won't end up trying to make extended multiple seasons after.

Clearly, they're setting up for a possible continuation of the series. If it does well, it'll come back. If Peterson enjoys himself, he'll be back.

Michael Corvin 10-12-21 10:40 PM

Thought this was a fine reintroduction to the series. It also felt reinvigorated after having a decent break since the original ended. Having just marathoned most of the original over the last year, after a few seasons it felt one case was always stronger than the other. Both cases in this one were interesting. However it felt more like a Langston era vibe as it was lacking the levity Sanders or Hodges always brought to the mix. Seems like Matt Lauria's character might head that direction but he was pretty serious throughout with only a glimmer of humor. Hard to get a read on the rest of the cast thus far. The ME felt a little too cartoony, so we'll see how that goes.

I liked that they kinda glossed over Sarah just stepping back in saying, "they needed the help" and not putting up some writers roadblock to create tension with the old vs new cast.

Anyway, off to a good start, IMO. Looking forward to more Grissom next episode. I wish they would have brought Greg back though just to have more than Sarah and Grissom tying back to the original show. Brass being retired and blind doesn't count.

d2cheer 10-13-21 07:14 AM

Hmmm...I thought it was just a little too cute/cocky in how flippant it was on certain things. Didn't like the first episode, I get they need to "set it up" but meh.

Don't care for the new editions at all so far.

Only 10 episodes I can stick with it. We will DVR it and watch when nothing else is on.

Hopefully some other cameos in the future episodes.

DJariya 10-26-21 02:09 AM

I'm now caught up through the 3 episodes that have aired. Really good having Grissom back starting with episode 2. I always enjoy Petersen's presence and his one-liners.

I suppose this David Hodges arc is going to be the backdrop storyline during the cases of the week.

I did notice Grissom's condition when he had trouble focusing and thought Uh Oh. But they addressed it quickly in the last episode and he says he has some kind of land sickness.

Also, the main cast is really small. It's Roby, Folsom, Rajan and the coroner aside from Grissom and Sara. I think that's good. CSI's cast did get really bloated in the later seasons. And the new coroner is apparently an apprentice to Robbins.

johnnysd 10-26-21 05:34 PM

Originally Posted by DJariya (Post 14003048)
I'm now caught up through the 3 episodes that have aired. Really good having Grissom back starting with episode 2. I always enjoy Petersen's presence and his one-liners.

I suppose this David Hodges arc is going to be the backdrop storyline during the cases of the week.

I did notice Grissom's condition when he had trouble focusing and thought Uh Oh. But they addressed it quickly in the last episode and he says he has some kind of land sickness.

Also, the main cast is really small. It's Roby, Folsom, Rajan and the coroner aside from Grissom and Sara. I think that's good. CSI's cast did get really bloated in the later seasons. And the new coroner is apparently an apprentice to Robbins.

Yeah the size of the cast is just right. I have enjoyed all the episodes so far. I like that they aren't creating fake conflicts or corporate political stuff just a group of investigators who like each other and like what they are doing. I mean it's not must see TV but maybe a bit better than I expected.

Michael Corvin 10-26-21 07:16 PM

CSI's cast was bloated from the beginning, it just got even bigger as time went on. From the first season you had,

Grissom
Sara
Catherine
Warrick
Nick
Sanders
Brass
Doc Robbins
David Phillips

Then you rotate in the occasional lab rat, Hodges getting most of the attention, and you have almost 10 regulars right from the start. This cast is pretty slim by comparison but that's okay as it means more screen time for Grissom.

story 10-26-21 08:04 PM

I don't watch any of these shows but saw a preview commercial for the next episode on CBS and a character asked the Grissom character why he was really back at CSI, but they cut it off before William Peterson could break character and say, "Money."

Cardsfan111 11-18-21 11:56 AM

Everyone still engaged with this? I'm enjoying the storyline with Grissom/Sara, etc, but not as invested in the weekly case. As it was pointed out, I'm glad the run for this is 10 episodes so a conclusion is coming soon.

DJariya 11-18-21 12:02 PM

I'm through episode 5. I didn't care much about the case with the CSI boss and the FBI guy who likes her working on with the plane crash. But, you know cases of the week are hit or miss sometimes. I do like how it's going with the serialized story with Grissom and Sara.

Jorja Fox just tweeted a few days ago that she finished her last ADR session for the show, so she's definitely wrapped for the season.

Noonan 11-18-21 12:05 PM

I'm enjoying it more than I expected. Probably because there's no one in the new cast who I find annoying.

Michael Corvin 11-18-21 06:32 PM

Originally Posted by DJariya (Post 14013929)
I didn't care much about the case with the CSI boss and the FBI guy who likes her working on with the plane crash.

I didn't think he was a very good actor. He kinda brought down every scene he was in and took Newsome with him in the scenes they shared.

Koby 11-18-21 07:25 PM

I'm still enjoying this. Love seeing the old crew, and "most" of the new crew has been a nice addition.

d2cheer 11-19-21 07:24 AM

Originally Posted by story (Post 14003408)
I don't watch any of these shows but saw a preview commercial for the next episode on CBS and a character asked the Grissom character why he was really back at CSI, but they cut it off before William Peterson could break character and say, "Money."

What a clever response for a show you don't watch. Yeah work for free...typical.

Michael Corvin 11-19-21 08:41 AM

Yeah pretty dumb drive by comment. Peterson is an Executive Producer, so he gets paid whether he's on screen or not.

ben12 11-19-21 11:02 AM

He probably gets a little extra for acting, though.

Adam Tyner 11-21-21 02:05 PM

I just found out that there's a character on the show named Adam Tyner! I was friends with showrunner Jason Tracey in high school, and he talked about naming a character on Burn Notice after me, so I'm thinking this might not be a coincidence.

Cardsfan111 11-21-21 02:25 PM

Very cool! I see the character's name in the cast list. Was his name mentioned in an episode?

DJariya 11-22-21 01:37 AM

Originally Posted by Adam Tyner (Post 14015381)
I just found out that there's a character on the show named Adam Tyner! I was friends with showrunner Jason Tracey in high school, and he talked about naming a character on Burn Notice after me, so I'm thinking this might not be a coincidence.

Here's the actor who's playing "you" ;)

https://www.imdb.com/name/nm0657314/?ref_=ttfc_fc_cl_t9

I don't recall the character and he's supposedly in 4 of the 10 episodes.

DJariya 12-15-21 03:11 PM

https://deadline.com/2021/12/csi-veg...aa5dee56334940

Renewed for a 2nd season, but William Petersen will not return.

Jorja Fox may return, but it's unclear right now.

I did read they may look into other CSI leads like Danson, Caruso or Sinise as possible new additions should Petersen not return.