DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   TV Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk-14/)
-   -   CSI: Vegas (CBS) (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk/653037-csi-vegas-cbs.html)

DJariya 02-10-20 12:23 PM

CSI: Vegas (CBS)

https://deadline.com/2020/02/csi-eve...ox-1202854248/

CSI event series in the works.

Some original cast members including William Petersen may return.

It will be set in Las Vegas.

johnnysd 02-10-20 12:43 PM

Re: CSI: Crime Scene Investigation (CBS) -- Series Thread

Originally Posted by DJariya (Post 13685789)
https://deadline.com/2020/02/csi-eve...ox-1202854248/

CSI event series in the works.

Some original cast members including William Petersen may return.

It will be set in Las Vegas.

I figured it would be brought back at some point. If Petersen is in it I would probably watch

d2cheer 02-10-20 02:24 PM

I was hoping that would be the reason for the bump!! I am down if Petersen is aboard. Not at all if he is not. This could really work as a 6-8 part mini or just a couple of 2 hour movies.

Michael Corvin 02-10-20 03:42 PM

I'm in... but I still haven't caught the finale. I was caught in the middle of a move at the time and couldn't DVR it and eventually just forgot all about it.

I was thinking the other day that it was past time for a new series.

Shannon Nutt 02-11-20 06:43 AM

No William Petersen, so sale. ;)

DJariya 08-10-20 11:51 AM

https://deadline.com/2020/08/csi-eve...ns-1203007603/

William Petersen and Jorja Fox are now officially in negotiations to star in this event series. I guess if all goes well, this could air by next Spring.

CBSCSI event series has been quietly moving forward, I have learned. William Petersen and Jorja Fox are in negotiations to star in CSI: Vegas, which serves as a sequel to the mothership CSI series, CSI: Crime Scene Investigation. Casting is under way for four new characters who will join Petersen’s Gil Grissom and Fox’s Sara Sidle. Petersen also is expected to serve as an executive producer. Although CSI: Vegas has not been officially ordered, its filming is eyed to begin in the fall when COVID conditions permit for Hollywood production to safely resume.

PerryD 08-10-20 12:32 PM

Here is a recent image that I googled of them from Nov 2019

https://cimg9.ibsrv.net/gimg/dvdtalk...b2505e7318.jpg

Michael Corvin 08-10-20 09:10 PM

Awesome, definitely down for some more CSI Vegas. I just started a rewatch. I'm about halfway through season 2. Such an amazing procedural.

TheMovieman 08-10-20 10:51 PM

:thumbsup:

DJariya 02-12-21 02:42 PM

https://deadline.com/2021/02/csi-veg...ot-1234692773/

Paula Newsome, Matt Lauria and Mel Rodriguez have been cast as leads in CSI: Vegas, which is nearing a formal straight-to-series order at CBS, I have learned.I hear William Petersen and Jorja Fox are finalizing their deals to star in CSI: Vegas, which serves as a sequel to the mothership CSI series, CSI: Crime Scene Investigation, reprising their roles as Gil Grissom and Sara Sidle, respectively. While billed as an event series, I hear CSI: Vegas, from writer Jason Tracey (Elementary), CBS Studios and Jerry Bruckheimer TV, could become an ongoing series running for multiple seasons.

With CSI: Vegas, the most watched drama series of the 21st century, CSI, opens a new chapter in Las Vegas, the city where it all began. Facing an existential threat that could bring down the Crime Lab, a brilliant team of forensic investigators must welcome back old friends and deploy new techniques to preserve and serve justice in Sin City.

No details about Newsome, Lauria and Rodriguez’s characters are being revealed.

I hear Newsome will play Maxine, the new head of the Vegas Crime Lab. A former basketball coach, she is a top-flight scientist and a leader in the field of genetics. Recently divorced, she struggles with her son’s opioid addiction.

Lauria is believed to be playing Josh, a Level III CSI who is typically the lead investigator on cases, and has a knack for crime scene reconstruction. Vegas born and bred, he comes from a family of small-time crooks and scammers.

He played a different character, Agent Matthew Pratt, in a three-episode arc on the mothership CSI series.

Rodriguez is said to be playing Hugo who took over as Head Medical Examiner three years ago. He has an endless fascination with the bodies that find their way onto his slab, and the morgue is his happy place. Rodrigues previously guest starred in an episode of CSI: NY (character name: Al McGrath).

As Deadline revealed last February when the potential CSI followup was in preliminary stages of deal-making and development, the original idea was for the event series to debut in October 2020, marking the 20th anniversary of the mothership series’ premiere. That plan was thwarted by the coronavirus pandemic-related production shutdown.

Tracey executive produces CSI: Vegas with JBTV’s Bruckheimer, Jonathan Littman and KristieAnne Reed as well as CSI creator Anthony E. Zuiker and CSI: Cyber alum Craig O’Neill. Peterson and his long-time producing partner Cynthia Chvatal, who exec produced the original series, are expected to return as executive producers on CSI: Vegas.

CSI: Crime Scene Investigation followed a team of crime-scene investigators for the Las Vegas Police Department as they used physical evidence to solve murders. The original cast included Petersen, Marg Helgenberger (who is currently a series regular on another CBS series, All Rise), Fox, George Eads, Gary Dourdan and Paul Guilfoyle. Petersen was succeeded by Laurence Fishburne as CSI’s leading man. He in turn, was followed by Ted Danson. Petersen left CSI in Season 9. Fox departed as a series regular in Season 8. She remained a recurring guest star for the next four seasons, rejoining the cast as a series regular at the start of Season 12.

Created by Zuiker, CSI: Crime Scene Investigation bowed out in 2015 after 15 seasons, having launched a $1 billion franchise for CBS that spanned four series; CSI and spinoffs CSI: Miami, CSI: New York and CSI: Cyber.

Newsome recently recurred opposite Henry Winkler and Bill Hader on the first season of Hader’s HBO comedy series Barry and on the NBC drama Chicago Med. She is repped by BRS/Gage Talent Agency and attorney Darrell Miller.

Lauria has been filming director Michael Morris’ feature To Leslie and can be seen starring opposite Juno Temple in Sky TV’s original series Little Birds. Kingdom alum Lauria was recently seen starring in Season 2 of CBS All Access’ Tell Me A Story and in Channel 4’s Traitors. Additionally, Lauria played Hailey Steinfeld’s love interest in the first season of Apple TV+’s Dickenson. He is repped by Principal Entertainment LA, WME and Ziffren Brittenham.

Rodriguez was most recently a series regular on the Showtime series On Becoming a God In Central Florida opposite Kirsten Dunst. He was also seen opposite Anne Hathaway in Dee Rees’ The Last Thing He Wanted for Netflix. Additionally, Rodriguez recently voiced Officer Colt Bronco in the Disney-Pixar animated feature Onward. He is repped by UTA and Abrams Entertainment.

Michael Corvin 02-13-21 08:21 AM

:up: I started rewatching the series a few months ago. I'm midway through season 6. Such an amazing series that holds up really well.

I hear Newsome will play Maxine, the new head of the Vegas Crime Lab. A former basketball coach, she is a top-flight scientist and a leader in the field of genetics. Recently divorced, she struggles with her son’s opioid addiction.

:rolleyes: Do. Not. Want.

CSI worked best when it's focused on cases and not extra-curricular activities/issues with the leads. Warrick's gambling problem was dumb, Sara's drinking problem was dumb, Nick dating a stripper who ended up getting murdered was dumb, Catherine's daughter issues were dumb and Brass's daughter issues were also dumb. The only personal drama that worked was Grissom's hearing loss because it added something to his character instead of detracting from it.

Runaway 02-13-21 11:03 AM

I'm curious if the "event series" is just a shorter season of CSI or a more serialized version.

DJariya 02-13-21 11:11 AM

Originally Posted by Runaway (Post 13890299)
I'm curious if the "event series" is just a shorter season of CSI or a more serialized version.

It will likely be a 10-13 episode season. I think after Petersen did almost 200 episodes of this show for about a decade that he would not want to commit to the traditional 22-24 episode season anymore.

Runaway 02-14-21 04:42 AM

Originally Posted by DJariya (Post 13890305)
It will likely be a 10-13 episode season. I think after Petersen did almost 200 episodes of this show for about a decade that he would not want to commit to the traditional 22-24 episode season anymore.

It still remains the question if it is going to be a straight up procedural or if they mix it up. I wouldn't do a one case per season, but perhaps a big case that is strechtes over all episodes and the classic cases.
Something like Nate Haskell could be told in 10-13 episodes in one season instead of 10 episodes strechted out over 3 seasons.

I would be a little bit underwhelmed, if it's just 10 more episodes with no change at all. The X Files did that and while I enjoyed seeing the characters again and some of the episodes where pretty good, it was too much of the same old same old.
You don't have to change it up like Picard, I still want to see what I liked about the original, but little modernization couldn't hurt.

In any case seeing William Petersen in a leading role is a win. He hasn't acted on screen a lot since he left CSI and even his last supporting role in Manhattan dates back 5 years.

johnnysd 02-14-21 12:33 PM

Totally up for this. Not all shows hold up well. As an example GOT is not really as good as we remember it being. But CSI (the original) holds up great. Would think it will be popular.

DJariya 03-31-21 03:46 PM

https://deadline.com/2021/03/csi-veg...5364/#comments

CSI:Vegas officially picked up for next season. Wallace Langham will also return as David Hodges.

DJariya 03-31-21 03:54 PM

Press Release
CSI: VEGAS,” A NEW DRAMA FROM CBS STUDIOS AND JERRY BRUCKHEIMER TELEVISION, IS COMING TO CBS IN THE 2021-2022 BROADCAST SEASON

“CSI” IS BACK!

Sequel to the Global Hit

“CSI: Crime Scene Investigation,”

One of the Most-Watched Drama Series of the 21st Century

Original “CSI” Stars William Petersen and Jorja Fox Reprise Their Roles

The New CBS Original Series Will Star Paula Newsome, Matt Lauria,

Mel Rodriguez and Mandeep Dhillon

CBS announced today it has given a series order to CSI: VEGAS, the sequel to the Network’s global hit “CSI: Crime Scene Investigation,” one of the most-watched drama series of the 21st century. Original “CSI: Crime Scene Investigation” stars William Petersen and Jorja Fox will reprise their roles as Gil Grissom and Sara Sidle, respectively. Produced by CBS Studios and Jerry Bruckheimer Television, the new CBS original series will star Paula Newsome, Matt Lauria, Mel Rodriguez and Mandeep Dhillon. Original CSI star Wallace Langham will also return to the series as David Hodges.

CSI: VEGAS opens a brand new chapter in Las Vegas, the city where it all began. Facing an existential threat that could bring down the Crime Lab, a brilliant new team of forensic investigators must welcome back old friends and deploy new techniques to preserve and serve justice in Sin City.

“Twenty-one years ago, we launched ‘CSI’ and watched in awe as this new cinematic series launched an entire genre and became a groundbreaking juggernaut that still has global resonance today,” said Kelly Kahl, President, CBS Entertainment. “We are thrilled to welcome the next generation of forensic criminalists to the ‘CSI’ brand and unite them with the legendary characters from the past who we still love, including the extraordinary Billy Petersen and Jorja Fox. Crimefighting technology has advanced dramatically over the last several years, and combined with classic ‘CSI’ storytelling, we can’t wait to watch this new ‘CSI’ team do what they do best: follow the evidence.”

“I’m excited to be bringing back the ‘CSI’ franchise to all our fans who have been so loyal to us for all these years,” said Jerry Bruckheimer. “And to be back in Las Vegas where it all started over 20 years ago makes it even more special. We’ve enjoyed working on this project with CBS and look forward to welcoming back Billy, Jorja and Wallace as they join a new group of talented actors in CSI: VEGAS.”

Jason Tracey will serve as executive producer and showrunner for CSI: VEGAS. Uta Briesewitz will direct the first episode and serve as executive producer (initial episode only). Jerry Bruckheimer, Jonathan Littman, KristieAnne Reed, Anthony Zuiker, Carol Mendelsohn, Ann Donahue, Craig O’Neill, William Petersen and Cindy Chvatal also serve as executive producers. The series will be produced by CBS Studios in association with Jerry Bruckheimer Television, and distributed internationally by ViacomCBS Global Distribution Group.

Created by Anthony Zuiker, “CSI: Crime Scene Investigation” premiered Oct. 6, 2000 on CBS, and aired for 15 seasons, completing 335 episodes. It earned six Emmy Awards and 39 Emmy nominations. The drama originally starred William Petersen, Marg Helgenberger, Gary Dourdan, George Eads, Jorja Fox and Paul Guilfoyle. The franchise also included “CSI: Miami” (2002-2012); “CSI: New York” (2004-2013); and “CSI: Cyber” (2014-2016).

“CSI: Crime Scene Investigation” was the most watched drama series in the world for seven years between 2006 and 2016*. “CSI” was one of the most watched drama series franchise globally in the past 20 years.

Michael Corvin 03-31-21 05:19 PM

Bummer, no Nick Stokes, Greg Sanders or Catherine Willows? Not even in smaller parts? That's a shame.

DJariya 03-31-21 05:23 PM

Originally Posted by Michael Corvin (Post 13913908)
Bummer, no Nick Stokes, Greg Sanders or Catherine Willows? Not even in smaller parts? That's a shame.

Marg already has a job on another CBS show called All Rise. And the last I remember Catherine now works for the FBI.

Vipper II 03-31-21 05:31 PM

Originally Posted by Michael Corvin (Post 13913908)

With any luck Liz Vassey will make an appearance or two.

DJariya 03-31-21 05:47 PM

Originally Posted by Vipper II (Post 13913918)
With any luck Liz Vassey will make an appearance or two.

Someone asked her about this on Twitter and she said it's unlikely. But I don't think she's ruling it out. I don't even recall how they wrote out her character Wendy.

Michael Corvin 03-31-21 09:59 PM

Originally Posted by DJariya (Post 13913910)
And the last I remember Catherine now works for the FBI.

I don't recall how most of their stories ended up but it would be easy enough to have a case that brought the FBI to town.

DJariya 03-31-21 10:19 PM

Originally Posted by Michael Corvin (Post 13914043)
I don't recall how most of their stories ended up but it would be easy enough to have a case that brought the FBI to town.

Anything is possible. I’m sure depending on availability they will try to bring in some other familiar faces.

DJariya 05-03-21 03:57 PM

https://deadline.com/video/leverage-...-date-imdb-tv/

Paul Guilfoyle will return as Jim Brass for 2 episodes.

It's up to the Mod if he feels up to doing it or not, but I was thinking since this new incarnation of CSI is now called "CSI: Vegas" maybe the new news about the series in this thread should be spun off into it's own thread now?

It's basically post #196 and on.

Michael Corvin 05-03-21 04:29 PM

Good to hear Brass will be back. He's old enough to be retired by now though(actor & character), so I guess it makes sense he wouldn't be on full time.

DJariya 05-19-21 01:16 PM

Re: CSI: Vegas (CBS)

CBS posted some production stills from the Pilot of CSI Vegas today

and it will air Wednesdays at 10pm after Survivor and Tough as Nails

Jorja Fox posted this last week. I guess they are shooting some of it in Vegas

DJariya 05-19-21 04:01 PM

Promotional feature with some footage from the Pilot. Petersen and Fox are interviewed.

From the way it looks, Grissom and Sara look like supporting characters.

johnnysd 05-21-21 01:06 PM

Originally Posted by DJariya (Post 13935660)
https://twitter.com/CSICBS/status/13...059027456?s=20

Promotional feature with some footage from the Pilot. Petersen and Fox are interviewed.

From the way it looks, Grissom and Sara look like supporting characters.

Totally up for this. Unlike most here I actually don't mind procedurals. l

DJariya 05-21-21 01:09 PM

With Grissom being a supporting character this time, it probably means Petersen won't have to appear in every episode like he did in the original run.

And it looks like this is a full fledged 22-24 episode season from the schedule and not a limited or event series. Fine with me.

The CSI IP is a moneymaker for CBS and I'm sure many stations around the world are happy this is back. Hell, a 6 year hiatus after a 15 season run is a nice long break.

Michael Corvin 05-22-21 06:16 AM

Originally Posted by johnnysd (Post 13936432)
Totally up for this. Unlike most here I actually don't mind procedurals. l

CSI is probably the only procedural I'm down for more of.

Runaway 05-22-21 08:25 AM

If it is not an event series, it's not for me. I'm just not into procedural anymore and I stopped watching CSI when Ted Danson took over in Season 12.

Koby 05-22-21 04:23 PM

Yeah I was willing to watch this when I thought it would be some mini-series bringing the old cast back... but now that it seems it'll be a full on ongoing series likely for another 10 seasons or something... I've lost all interest and won't even bother watching a single episode.

DJariya 07-12-21 02:54 PM

Premieres October 6th. On the 21st anniversary of the original show premiering

DJariya 07-22-21 11:42 AM

TheMovieman 07-23-21 04:13 PM

Looking forward to this. Hope it's good.

DJariya 08-22-21 04:37 PM

https://www.tmz.com/2021/08/22/csi-s...orking-on-set/

William Petersen hospitalized after falling ill on set. But the report says he has been released from the hospital.

Michael Corvin 08-22-21 06:18 PM

I wonder if this show will fall under the original CSI show page on Hulu or if it will be listed as a new show.

DJariya 08-29-21 05:02 PM

The first full trailer

tommyp007 08-29-21 05:18 PM

Hell yes. I'm in.

DJariya 08-30-21 01:07 AM

Here's the official HD 16:9 trailer from YouTube for those who hate Twitter embeds.