Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

Girls5eva (now on Netflix) - EP: Fey/Carlock, S: Phillips, Bareilles, Goldsberry, Pell

Community
Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Girls5eva (now on Netflix) - EP: Fey/Carlock, S: Phillips, Bareilles, Goldsberry, Pell

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-21, 08:27 AM

Received 4,979 Likes on 3,366 Posts

When a one-hit-wonder girl group from the 90’s gets sampled by a young rapper, its members reunite to give their pop star dreams one more shot. They may be grown women balancing spouses, kids, jobs, debt, aging parents, and shoulder pain, but can‘t they also be Girls5eva?

The series stars Grammy® Award-winner and Tony® and Emmy® Award-nominated singer Sara Bareilles, Grammy and Tony Award-winning actress and singer Renée Elise Goldsberry, Emmy® winning “Saturday Night Live” mainstay and comedy icon Paula Pell, and New York Times Best-Selling author, actor, activist, writer and host Busy Philipps. Meredith Scardino serves as creator and executive producer for the series. Jeff Richmond, Tina Fey (Little Stranger, Inc.), Robert Carlock (Bevel Gears), David Miner (3 Arts Entertainment), Eric Gurian (Little Stranger) also serve as executive producers.
Old 05-06-21, 07:22 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,978 Likes on 2,831 Posts
re: Girls5eva (now on Netflix) - EP: Fey/Carlock, S: Phillips, Bareilles, Goldsberry, Pell

Apparently Vanessa Williams has a part in this. Although it's not listed in her IMDB

Old 05-09-21, 09:34 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 833 Likes on 678 Posts
re: Girls5eva (now on Netflix) - EP: Fey/Carlock, S: Phillips, Bareilles, Goldsberry, Pell

Old 05-09-21, 09:41 AM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,989 Likes on 4,744 Posts

Has anyone watched this yet? Doesn’t look great to me but I am a big Sara Bareilles fan, so maybe I will give it a shot.
Old 07-27-21, 01:55 PM

Originally Posted by Decker
Has anyone watched this yet? Doesn’t look great to me but I am a big Sara Bareilles fan, so maybe I will give it a shot.
I just checked it out. I dig Bareilles. For coming from music, she is a pretty decent actor and seems to kinda channel Fey here a bit. The show was pretty funny, but nothing amazing.

I've seen Renée Elise Goldsberry in a bunch of things, but never thought to look up her age. My mind was blown to see she is 50 years old. She looks like 15-20 years younger than that and better than everyone on this show.
Old 07-27-21, 04:46 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 278 Likes on 165 Posts

My wife and I are 3 episodes in and while it's nothing mindblowing, it's a cute funny show. Goldsberry was my reason for watching, I'm a huge fan of hers since Hamilton and Altered Carbon. Woman has some serious talent in everything.
Old 04-06-22, 01:09 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 321 Likes on 262 Posts

Was on the AV Club site and I see that this show was indeed renewed (if I saw this news before today, I had forgotten about it), yay! Really fun show, and I look forward to watching this in one weekend, or weekly, depending on its release schedule.
Old 04-08-22, 03:18 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,091 Likes on 865 Posts

This is pretty good in the 30 Rock / Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt vein.
Old 04-09-22, 09:38 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,005 Likes on 693 Posts

Originally Posted by RichC2
This is pretty good in the 30 Rock / Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt vein.
I felt about this show the way I did with UKS - as it went on I was getting more and more tired with it and my interest level dropped.
It's weird that I felt that way about this show as it was only 8 episodes - but it just felt like it's run it's course halfway through.
Old 04-12-22, 11:19 AM

Old 02-15-24, 01:44 PM

Re: Girls5eva (now on Netflix) - EP: Fey/Carlock, S: Phillips, Bareilles, Goldsberry, Pell

The members of the late ‘90s girl-group Girls5eva – Dawn, Wickie, Summer, and Gloria – have reunited and recorded a new album, Returnity, so it’s time for the next logical step: a comeback tour. With no plan, tour manager, or venues secured, the ladies pile into a van and hit the great unknown, doing their damnedest to promote their album and get back on top. In the process, Girls5eva will grapple with life on the road, see their relationships tested, play a billionaire’s birthday party, sow their oats, confront parents they believe held them back, cross paths with the biggest pop star on the planet, and question if they really want “the big time” again. Will Girls5eva fast-track their comeback and sell their tour documentary in the process? Or will the road destroy them?

Girls5eva premieres March 14 on Netflix, with Seasons 1 & 2 plus a brand-new Season 3.
Old 03-16-24, 07:03 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 321 Likes on 262 Posts
Re: Girls5eva (now on Netflix) - EP: Fey/Carlock, S: Phillips, Bareilles, Goldsberry, Pell

Watching season 3 now and I find this show to be such an easy binge. There are some funny bits such as the girls staying at a Fort Worth's Marriott Divorced Dad Suitelets, and the hotel having a vending machine that dispenses pre wrapped birthday presents.