TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

The Story of Late Night 5/2/2021 CNN Series

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-21, 08:19 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 729 Likes on 594 Posts
The Story of Late Night 5/2/2021 CNN Series

I already set my DVR

I still want that Leno and Letterman interview which we never got.

Hope this does not end in August if it keeps getting delayed by breaking news.

The Story of Late Night is a six-part docuseries, produced by Cream Productions, that will take viewers on a journey through late-night television’s most memorable moments. Spanning a more than 60-year history of engaging with, adapting to and influencing our rapidly changing society, late-night television has grown into a thriving entertainment phenomenon and vitally important cultural institution.

The docuseries features archival footage of late-night legends such as Johnny Carson, Jay Leno and David Letterman, alongside interviews with today’s popular comedic voices including, Jimmy Fallon, Jimmy Kimmel, Chelsea Handler, Trevor Noah, Conan O’Brien, Seth Meyers, James Corden, Amber Ruffin, Desus & Mero, Whoopi Goldberg, W. Kamau Bell, and many more. Behind-the-scenes decision makers including Lorne Michaels and Jeff Zucker are also featured giving their first-hand accounts of an entertainment medium that changed the face of television forever.

https://cnnpressroom.blogs.cnn.com/2...-sunday-may-2/

Old 04-27-21, 08:21 PM

Received 1,933 Likes on 1,141 Posts
Re: The Story of Late Night 5/2/2021 CNN Series

Are we really still talking about this? I mean, hasn't everything that can be said been said? Did they also get a time machine, too?
Old 04-27-21, 09:43 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 34 Likes on 33 Posts

Thanks. Their docs are usually pretty good...when they actually air. I think that Soundtracks one they did, produced by The Rock, only aired one or two episodes then kept getting pre-empted for breaking news and never finished airing. At least I never saw the rest of it. For some reason they don't seem to replay them often if that happens.
The following users liked this post:
JeffTheAlpaca (04-27-21)
Old 04-27-21, 10:06 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Those decade series and the movie series produced by Tom Hanks that aired on CNN were always great and this will probably be the same though Hanks is not involved.
Boondock Saint (04-28-21)
Old 05-04-21, 09:45 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I liked what I saw so far.

Did not know a lot about Jack Paar except his name.

It would be hard today for Carson to play the middle and people would probably force him to take a side or have a strong opinion or it would seem he was out of touch.
John Pannozzi (07-12-21)
Old 05-05-21, 09:20 AM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,228 Likes on 4,250 Posts

Originally Posted by JeffTheAlpaca

It would be hard today for Carson to play the middle and people would probably force him to take a side or have a strong opinion or it would seem he was out of touch.
Have you ever heard of a late night host named "Jimmy Fallon"?
Old 05-05-21, 06:50 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Fallon leans Democratic. He does not have Republicans on his show.
Old 05-05-21, 11:58 PM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,228 Likes on 4,250 Posts

Fallon leans Democratic. He does not have Republicans on his show.

Old 05-06-21, 12:56 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Letterman had Trump on his show multiple times.

I don't get why Fallon took so much grief for that Trump interview.

Everyone knows he is not Mike Wallace and it was not going to be a scorching interview.

Kimmel had Mike Lindell and George W. Bush in the past month.
Old 05-06-21, 07:51 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 90 Likes on 70 Posts

I disagree as there are a large segment of people like me who don't want any partisan politics in their late night TV. Now there is a segment of people that want politics mixed with their late night, and that is what all of the hosts are going for (except Conan and Fallon as they are the least political). They forget that 1/2 of the country tuned out, so they are only going after 50% of the market between all of them. I have slowly tuned out of late night in the past 10-12 years as I could see it starting to change. Once Trump became President a guys like Kimmel turned super-partisan (he rarely touched politics before Trump), than is when I turned out and don't watch any Late Night anymore. I think Greg Gutfeld has a LateNight show on FoxNews, but that would be just as annoying as Colbert, Meyers and Kimmel as all of his humor would play to other sheep in this country.

As for Carson, he was very smart with his political humor. He would not shy away from politics as I remember he hit Dan Quayle every night in his monologue in the late 80's, so you think he was a Democrat. But I remember his last year before retiring, he would bury Bill Clinton (during the 1992 primaries) just as bad, so then you thought he was a Republican. He would hit Carter, Reagan, Bush, etc. He was just trying to make everyone laugh and whoever was the Politician Du Jour was the victim. That's not the case today, as they are all clearly biased.

I have no problem with a late night host mixing political humor with their show, as political satire is some of the funniest stuff around. The difference is the Late Night host profess their partisan bias and don't shy away from it. Jimmy Kimmel pretty much said on a CBS interview a few years ago that he could care less if Trump voters tune out. Meyers said it was his duty to expose Trump and use his show for that platform. That's not political satire, that's partisan politics. I think Carson would survive today because he understood the difference, the Late Night hosts these days have blurred the lines.
JeffTheAlpaca (05-06-21)
Old 05-17-21, 07:43 PM
DVD Talk Legend

They covered the successor to Carson and next week more Leno vs Letterman.

Maybe if Letterman was more of the company guy and did not bad mouth the suits he would have gotten the Tonight Show.
Old 07-11-21, 07:10 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 929 Likes on 779 Posts

Do CNN series ever go to a big streaming co with their shows? Wondering if this will go somewhere. I know there is CNNgo, but strangely, only has 3/6 episodes.
Old 07-11-21, 07:17 PM
DVD Talk Legend

You had your chance to watch it when it aired every Sunday night.

Maybe it is on HBO Max.
Old 07-12-21, 08:14 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,102 Likes on 798 Posts

Originally Posted by mcnabb
I disagree as there are a large segment of people like me who don't want any partisan politics in their late night TV. Now there is a segment of people that want politics mixed with their late night, and that is what all of the hosts are going for (except Conan and Fallon as they are the least political). They forget that 1/2 of the country tuned out, so they are only going after 50% of the market between all of them. I have slowly tuned out of late night in the past 10-12 years as I could see it starting to change. Once Trump became President a guys like Kimmel turned super-partisan (he rarely touched politics before Trump), than is when I turned out and don't watch any Late Night anymore. I think Greg Gutfeld has a LateNight show on FoxNews, but that would be just as annoying as Colbert, Meyers and Kimmel as all of his humor would play to other sheep in this country.

As for Carson, he was very smart with his political humor. He would not shy away from politics as I remember he hit Dan Quayle every night in his monologue in the late 80's, so you think he was a Democrat. But I remember his last year before retiring, he would bury Bill Clinton (during the 1992 primaries) just as bad, so then you thought he was a Republican. He would hit Carter, Reagan, Bush, etc. He was just trying to make everyone laugh and whoever was the Politician Du Jour was the victim. That's not the case today, as they are all clearly biased.

I have no problem with a late night host mixing political humor with their show, as political satire is some of the funniest stuff around. The difference is the Late Night host profess their partisan bias and don't shy away from it. Jimmy Kimmel pretty much said on a CBS interview a few years ago that he could care less if Trump voters tune out. Meyers said it was his duty to expose Trump and use his show for that platform. That's not political satire, that's partisan politics. I think Carson would survive today because he understood the difference, the Late Night hosts these days have blurred the lines.
couldn't care less