Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

The Falcon and the Winter Soldier (S1E04) -- "The Whole World is Watching" -- 4/9/21

Community
Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

The Falcon and the Winter Soldier (S1E04) -- "The Whole World is Watching" -- 4/9/21

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-21, 01:06 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: The Falcon and the Winter Soldier (S1E04) -- "The Whole World is Watching" -- 4/9/21

Maybe it's just me but I like this better than WandaVision
Old 04-14-21, 01:39 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 275 Likes on 207 Posts
Re: The Falcon and the Winter Soldier (S1E04) -- "The Whole World is Watching" -- 4/9/21

I’m reasonably entertained, but it is not a show that will get me interested in discussing it at length. When it’s over, I’ll remember the basics for whatever is the next Marvel movie and it’s on to the next show.
Old 04-14-21, 01:53 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,156 Likes on 902 Posts

I’m mostly enjoying the show. I like Sam and Bucky as well as Zemo.

John Walker’s Captain America is interesting. It was obvious from the get go that he would eventually turn into a villain. I’ve liked his gradual turn, and am looking forward to seeing the fallout after what he did at the end of this episode.

To me the weakest aspect of the show by far are The Flag Smashers. I just don’t care about any of those characters. Just not very interesting villains if you ask me.
Old 04-14-21, 01:54 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 917 Likes on 677 Posts

This has turned out to be a great case study on content's "style" and how people view it. It's showing us that a serialized show that isn't rooted in mystery/edge of your seat curiosity on what happens next don't work well. If there's no big secret to work towards, you're better off making a case of the week procedural.
Old 04-14-21, 02:03 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 487 Likes on 286 Posts

I see what you're saying, but I also just don't think it's executed all that well. There isn't a "style" to this show. The writing is very on the nose, and the performances are OK. To me there's no hook to this show other than it's a Marvel production. I feel obligated to watch it so I stay current on the MCU, but that's about it.
Old 04-14-21, 05:47 PM

Received 4,584 Likes on 3,103 Posts

Old 04-14-21, 07:42 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 913 Likes on 773 Posts

Originally Posted by spainlinx0
What is the mystery story exactly? Who is the broker? That does not strike me as some great mystery.
what show are you watching? Bc it ain’t TF&WS. Three guys digging and going to different locales to track these super soldier terrorists and find the origins and making of serum and how much of it is out there and eventually stopping it all, finding and actually talking to the super-soldier young girl. The Broker didn’t even occur to me until you mentioned. This is a straight forward story you have all the answers to already type show? Bravo. I guess nothing left for you to see.
Old 04-14-21, 07:45 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 366 Likes on 266 Posts

Cap bashing that guy with the shield felt like the first time they had to hold back because it is Disney. I remember we had the discussion about this in the Infinity Wars thread a few years back.
Old 04-14-21, 08:59 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 696 Likes on 430 Posts

While I find a lot of New Rockstars delivery a bit over-excitable and occasionally too cutesie-poo, I find this take about how much of this show was rewritten, reshot, and redubbed to remove a global virus subplot [thanks COVID-19] to be fascinating.

It always felt (to me) that there was something... missing here. The Flagsmashers agenda alone is a bit anemic to carry the show. The new Captain America subplot is a lot more fascinating to me. But still not enough to carry the show. But a global pandemic woven in as well? Hmm...
Old 04-15-21, 10:09 AM
Administrator

Received 1,068 Likes on 621 Posts

Originally Posted by OldBoy
what show are you watching? Bc it ain’t TF&WS. Three guys digging and going to different locales to track these super soldier terrorists and find the origins and making of serum and how much of it is out there and eventually stopping it all, finding and actually talking to the super-soldier young girl. The Broker didn’t even occur to me until you mentioned. This is a straight forward story you have all the answers to already type show? Bravo. I guess nothing left for you to see.
I would count it as more of a "procedural" or "spy thriller" than a strict mystery, for what it's worth, in the same way that I would not call James Bond films mysteries. We do know that Sam will eventually get the shield and the drama primarily comes from examining power structures and those affected by them, versus figuring something out.
The following users liked this post:
spainlinx0 (04-15-21)
Old 04-15-21, 10:12 AM
Administrator

Received 1,068 Likes on 621 Posts

Originally Posted by Hokeyboy

It always felt (to me) that there was something... missing here. The Flagsmashers agenda alone is a bit anemic to carry the show. The new Captain America subplot is a lot more fascinating to me. But still not enough to carry the show. But a global pandemic woven in as well? Hmm...
Maybe that's why it's felt underwhelming. I think the show needs more of a deep dive into some of its plot threads. I'm wondering if Sam will act as a third party in the last few episodes to say, "Yeah, you guys can't all be running around just doing whatever you want, like this."