Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

The Falcon and the Winter Soldier (S1E04) -- "The Whole World is Watching" -- 4/9/21

TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

The Falcon and the Winter Soldier (S1E04) -- "The Whole World is Watching" -- 4/9/21

Old 04-09-21, 03:08 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 931 Likes on 693 Posts

Sam, Bucky, and Zemo get closer to the Flag Smashers, while both Karli Morgenthau and John Walker make choices they can't undo.

Whoah. Probably the best episode of the season. That took a really dark turn.
Spoiler:
Battlestar gets killed and then "Captain America" snaps and commits cold blooded murder.

Last edited by dex14; 04-10-21 at 08:41 AM.
Old 04-09-21, 04:17 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 39 Likes on 28 Posts
Re: The Falcon and the Winter Soldier (S1E04) -- "The Whole World is Watching" -- 4/9/21

That final shot 😳
The following 4 users liked this post by The Antipodean:
DJariya (04-09-21), IBJoel (04-09-21), majorjoe23 (04-09-21), story (04-11-21)
Old 04-09-21, 04:25 AM

Received 33 Likes on 28 Posts
Re: The Falcon and the Winter Soldier (S1E04) -- "The Whole World is Watching" -- 4/9/21

Zemo is an excellent character. I feel like I need to rewatch Civil War to remember what he did before this series. Plus, there's a one hour Zemo cut of Zemo dancing at the club (from last weeks' episode, I think) on youtube, which is magnificent.

New Captain America is a tool. Wyatt Russell has one of the most punchable faces. I'm hoping this redemption arc with Bucky ends with him taking the shield and becoming the next Captain America one we are rid of John Walker. Also probably my favorite episode so far.
Old 04-09-21, 07:04 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 46 Likes on 38 Posts

Strong ep.

Love Karli as a character, and all the various conflicts made for a much more riveting watch for me than last weeks "action-packed" installment.
Old 04-09-21, 09:47 AM
Administrator

Received 214 Likes on 153 Posts

That last shot is truly great a work of art. Reminds me of a piece of street art I saw in Belfast.

I did have an issue with the constant use of the word "supremacist" when they mean "authoritarian".

Definitely a lot stronger than last week's episode. It was great seeing the Dora Milaje handing US Agent his ass.
Old 04-09-21, 10:58 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 198 Likes on 140 Posts

So I guess it begs the question, did Walker take use the serum or was it just him being super amped over the death of Battlestar? I only ask because bullets can penetrate super soldier skin, it would stand to reason that USAgent using the shield the way he did would have decapitated or cut that guy in half. I liked how the shot mirrored Steve using the shield over Tony from Civil War.

Also can't get over the mannerisms Russell has from his dad. Same tone and delivery.
Old 04-09-21, 11:30 AM

Received 9 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by devilshalo View Post
So I guess it begs the question, did Walker take use the serum or was it just him being super amped over the death of Battlestar? I only ask because bullets can penetrate super soldier skin, it would stand to reason that USAgent using the shield the way he did would have decapitated or cut that guy in half. I liked how the shot mirrored Steve using the shield over Tony from Civil War.

Also can't get over the mannerisms Russell has from his dad. Same tone and delivery.

Did you see him kick a guy across the room, bend a steel bar in half (after which Falcon says "What did you do?) and jump out a 2nd/3rd story window and land on a car?
That was not just being "amped"
The following 6 users liked this post by blairwitchfan:
B.A. (04-15-21), Deftones (04-11-21), IBJoel (04-09-21), lopper (04-14-21), VinVega (04-11-21), Why So Blu? (04-09-21) and 1 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 04-09-21, 11:30 AM
Administrator

Originally Posted by devilshalo View Post

He took it. That's why he was able to bend the pipe and Sam yelled "what did you do?" The shield basically functions however they need it to in any given scene.
Old 04-09-21, 11:32 AM
Administrator

Originally Posted by blairwitchfan View Post
Did you see him kick a guy across the room, bend a steel bar in half (after which Falcon says "What did you do?) and jump out a 2nd/3rd story window and land on a car?
That was not just being "amped"
It's also a nice play on their conversation earlier. "Imagine how many people we could have saved that day [if we were super soldiers]". He took the serum, but couldn't even save his best friend.
The following 2 users liked this post by IBJoel:
B.A. (04-15-21), tanman (04-13-21)
Old 04-09-21, 12:15 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 198 Likes on 140 Posts

Originally Posted by IBJoel View Post
He took it. That's why he was able to bend the pipe and Sam yelled "what did you do?" The shield basically functions however they need it to in any given scene.
I forgot about that 3" pipe he bent... I just kept thinking.. one chop with that shield should have more than done the job on that poor dude.
The following users liked this post:
IBJoel (04-09-21)
Old 04-09-21, 02:00 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 355 Likes on 294 Posts

The show's a slog to get through but the last 5 minutes was awesome. It's about fucking time something actually happened.
spainlinx0 (04-09-21)
Old 04-09-21, 04:19 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 197 Likes on 117 Posts

I’m surprised at the love. The writing on this show is fucking childish. That conversation between Sam and Karli was amateur hour. The last 5 minutes of the show were good, but man, this is not a good show overall.
The following 3 users liked this post by spainlinx0:
bunkaroo (04-09-21), Hokeyboy (04-09-21), Why So Blu? (04-09-21)
Old 04-09-21, 07:06 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 168 Likes on 115 Posts

While I loved the final 15 minutes, the "one man's terrorist is another man's freedom fighter" chat between Sam and Carli was... so dopey. The Wakanda Warriors were great but a bit fan servicey. They didn't need to be there, other than to remind us that Bucky was freed from his programming there (that opening was pretty powerful) and that Wakanda exists.

The last shot though... damn.

In conclusion, this was the best episode of the series but I'm still in the Like but not Love camp.
The following 2 users liked this post by Hokeyboy:
B.A. (04-15-21), tanman (04-13-21)
Old 04-09-21, 07:08 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I'm also thinking this might have been better suited as a feature film than a 6-episode miniseries, but of course that depends on how the final episodes play out.
IBJoel (04-10-21)
Old 04-10-21, 02:57 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 208 Likes on 154 Posts

This episode felt a bit like the series as a whole so far: kinda uneven. When it worked, it really worked, and when it doesn't, it feels a bit clunky. But that ending was really strong. With all those cameras going, I can't imagine Walker being the authorized Captain America for much longer. I'm still trying to figure out Walker a bit. Is this all just a PTSD thing? At times, it plays more like he's on something. That character just oozes desperation in so many ways.
Old 04-10-21, 09:19 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Why So Blu? View Post
The show's a slog to get through but the last 5 minutes was awesome. It's about fucking time something actually happened.
Agree. For my taste, too much time is spent on Zemo, freckle-faced girl and the new Captain America, and there aren't enough jokes to keep the overall tone fun like in the MCU films. Every time I hear the name Battlestar I can't help but think of Battlestar Galactica. I wonder if Walker will willing give up the shield or if he'll go on the run when the government tells him he's done. Anyway, these 6 hours so far feel like a stall tactic to get from Point A (Steve as Captain America) to Point B (Bucky or Sam as Captain America).
Why So Blu? (04-10-21)
Old 04-10-21, 09:30 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 199 Likes on 146 Posts

I wonder if this show would have been better received had it aired prior to Wandavision like it was supposed to.
At least in my mind a standard was set that FaWS can’t hope to achieve. Either that or I’m burned out from the mystery and breadcrumbs from wandavision that never paid off.
I really want to enjoy this. I think there’s a good show in here, but something isn’t grabbing me. I’ve always liked Zemo and Bucky is one of my favorite MCU characters.
I hope the last two episodes will come around.
Old 04-10-21, 11:13 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 73 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by Joe Schmoe View Post
Agree. For my taste, too much time is spent on Zemo, freckle-faced girl and the new Captain America, and there aren't enough jokes to keep the overall tone fun like in the MCU films. Every time I hear the name Battlestar I can't help but think of Battlestar Galactica. I wonder if Walker will willing give up the shield or if he'll go on the run when the government tells him he's done. Anyway, these 6 hours so far feel like a stall tactic to get from Point A (Steve as Captain America) to Point B (Bucky or Sam as Captain America).
It's not that kind of show, it's a cold war spy show, not a comedy/supernatural show. There aren't going to be a lot of jokes here.

I thought the recent episode was great.
B.A. (04-15-21)
Old 04-10-21, 11:46 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 931 Likes on 693 Posts

Marvel put out a 1 hour loop of the Zemo dancing club scene.

In case you want to annoy your family.
Old 04-10-21, 12:23 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 208 Likes on 154 Posts

Originally Posted by Toddarino View Post
I wonder if this show would have been better received had it aired prior to Wandavision like it was supposed to.
At least in my mind a standard was set that FaWS canít hope to achieve. Either that or Iím burned out from the mystery and breadcrumbs from wandavision that never paid off.
I really want to enjoy this. I think thereís a good show in here, but something isnít grabbing me. Iíve always liked Zemo and Bucky is one of my favorite MCU characters.
I hope the last two episodes will come around.
I agree with you. WandaVision set a high standard, and while I think this show would still have its detractors, I think the overall sentiment would be more positive.

Originally Posted by Eric F View Post
It's not that kind of show, it's a cold war spy show, not a comedy/supernatural show. There aren't going to be a lot of jokes here.

I thought the recent episode was great.
Then why has it felt like they're going for a buddy comedy vibe?
Old 04-10-21, 12:29 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 88 Likes on 57 Posts

Originally Posted by clckworang View Post
This episode felt a bit like the series as a whole so far: kinda uneven. When it worked, it really worked, and when it doesn't, it feels a bit clunky. But that ending was really strong.
That's where I'm at as well, the detours around Europe just weren't particularly interesting to me. Looks like they're back in Louisiana next wk - and finally a 60min (so really 50min) runtime! These last few episodes could really be awesome and finish this series off strong.
Old 04-10-21, 02:56 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by clckworang View Post
I agree with you. WandaVision set a high standard, and while I think this show would still have its detractors, I think the overall sentiment would be more positive.

Then why has it felt like they're going for a buddy comedy vibe?
It has the same tone as Captain America: Winter Soldier to me. Some lighthearted moments but mostly Cold War spy stuff.
The following 2 users liked this post by Eric F:
B.A. (04-15-21), IBJoel (04-10-21)
Old 04-10-21, 03:07 PM
TGM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 100 Likes on 69 Posts

still gotta think The Falcon ends up getting the super serum somehow by the end of this show... they've just proven a human Captain America is useless.
VinVega (04-11-21)
Old 04-10-21, 03:26 PM
DVD Talk Legend

The show was never supposed to be a "Buddy Comedy", but Disney+/Marvel kind of hyped that aspect of it a lot more than it actually applies. Almost as if they were selling a Tango & Cash-styled rivalry whilst on a spy caper of sorts. There's really not that much of it in the show and most of that "comedy", quite frankly, doesn't land at all. It's forced.
Old 04-10-21, 05:44 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by TGM View Post
still gotta think The Falcon ends up getting the super serum somehow by the end of this show... they've just proven a human Captain America is useless.
It's symbolic. People know Sam Wilson is Falcon, an Avenger, and a friend of Cap's.

There are no more super serum doses anyways.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.