TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

WandaVision (S1E09) - “The Series Finale” - 3/5/21

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-21, 04:06 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 606 Likes on 437 Posts
Re: WandaVision (S1E09) - “The Series Finale” - 3/5/21

Originally Posted by rocket1312
So can someone explain to me what Agatha's plan was all along? I dozed off a bit when they were having their sparkle fight and I don't know if I missed anything. Or maybe it was explained in an earlier episode and I forgot? I get that she wanted Wanda's power, but how did she think she was going to do that? By switching up sitcom decades and annoying her with a stork?
Looks like you slept through much more then that one scene
Old 03-06-21, 04:11 PM

Received 4,661 Likes on 3,156 Posts

Evans just seems happy to be at the dance.

Old 03-06-21, 09:56 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 971 Likes on 678 Posts

Originally Posted by Abob Teff
Sometimes people are just looking way too hard for references ... OMG, look, four people!
I think this reference matches. One, it's Disney and superhero Disney at that. And two, during the Halloween episode they actually had the Incredibles up on the movie marquee. So yeah I think this particular scene was a purposeful homage.
Old 03-06-21, 10:04 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

So can someone explain to me what Agatha's plan was all along? I dozed off a bit when they were having their sparkle fight and I don't know if I missed anything. Or maybe it was explained in an earlier episode and I forgot? I get that she wanted Wanda's power, but how did she think she was going to do that? By switching up sitcom decades and annoying her with a stork?
Explained earlier in the previous episode. Agatha was drawn to the Hex that Wanda created on her own by the sheer power of it all. Immediately set up shop and blended in for reconnaissance since she didn't know what she was dealing with. She said she was trying to nudge her from her ridiculous fantasy gently first by screwing with her fantasy, then setting doubts in Vision's mind, then finally sending Fietro and then, when Monica showed up, stealing her kids and luring her to her lair so she could speed up the process. Once she found out she was the Scarlett Witch and she had chaos magic she knew what she was dealing with and there was no further need for blending in. Her ultimate goal was to absorb her powers because, "That's her thing". She didn't switch up sitcom decades and didn't (or did she to pull her from her fantasy?) have anything to do with the stork.
Old 03-06-21, 11:06 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

‘WandaVision’ Failed to Deliver Things That Were Never Promised to Me

For two months now, I’ve gone on Twitter after episodes of WandaVision, and everyone has been speculating about what’s to come. The astrophysicist that Monica Rambeau (Teyonah Parris) mentioned? That has to be Reed Richards because a new Fantastic Four movie is in the works. Sure, they haven’t even finished a script and director Jon Watts is still working on Spider-Man: No Way Home and a major piece of casting like that almost always leaks out in some form, but I was promised by the Internet that John Krasinski would play Reed Richards, which of course means that his real-world wife Emily Blunt was also being cast as Sue Storm aka The Invisible Woman. The Internet said so, and because Monica said the word “astrophysicist” that means Fantastic Four. Twitter told me so.

Also, because Wanda (Elizabeth Olsen) is dealing with magic, that also means Doctor Strange (Benedict Cumberbatch) has to show up. We know that Olsen is part of the cast of Doctor Strange in the Multiverse of Madness, and so Doctor Strange had to appear in WandaVision. That’s not even a question; the only question is when Cumberbatch was making his cameo appearance so that we could get ready for the next Marvel movie. Even though it’s not next and doesn’t even come out until 2022, we need some kind of teaser. If you don’t tease the next Marvel thing, then what are we even doing here?

So imagine my utter rage and disappointment when WandaVision turned out to be a grief drama. UGH. FEELINGS. If I wanted to watch Elizabeth Olsen in a TV series about grief, I would watch Sorry for Your Loss, which I haven’t, but I’m just saying it’s an option. But my superhero shows are supposed to be about giving me more superheroes. It’s supposed to be a teaser machine where instead of enjoying the current narrative, I need to be sold on the next narrative. What does Wanda’s emotional state possibly tell me about whether or not Mephisto is going to come along later?By treating Wanda’s story as one about grief, loss, and healing, Marvel denied me the chance to connect my comic book knowledge to the movies. Do you think we read comic books for fun? NO. We read them so we can amass a bunch of knowledge about storylines and then feel secure that we’re ahead of the curve when the movies come along to repeat those storylines. I haven’t been burned this badly by Marvel since The Mandarin turned out to be just an actor in Iron Man 3. Why would you play with my expectations, Marvel? To surprise me? To bring me joy? The only joy I feel is when my fan theories are proved correct so that people know I’m smart.

I don’t watch Marvel stuff to feel feelings or to think about my emotions or consider my place in the world or my relationships with others. I watch them for two reasons: 1) To acknowledge comic books (the more obscure the better, so as to reward my efforts), and 2) to tease future Marvel projects at the expense of the one I’m currently watching. We all know that the best part of Avengers: Age of Ultron is when Thor (Chris Hemsworth) goes on his vision quest because that clued us into the Infinity Stones even though stones had already been mentioned the previous year in Guardians of the Galaxy. I also think we can all agree that Iron Man 2 is the best Marvel movie because it does so much heavy lifting in setting up future Marvel movies. And in my opinion, there has not been a better Marvel scene than the one in Thor where Hawkeye (Jeremy Renner) is in a bucket to introduce us to Hawkeye.

WandaVision denied us all of these great kinds of moments that were not promised by the show in any way, but they were promised to us by the fandom, which is obviously more important than the thing they’re supposedly a fan of. If you’re not listening to the fans, then what are you even doing? Crafting a story with a strong character arc to explore a universal emotion that resonates deeply with the viewer? Who wants that?! Looking back at WandaVision, all I see are a bunch of missed opportunities. Instead of using the series to introduce the X-Men, they just turned it into a gag about a guy named Ralph Bohner, which, while objectively hilarious, did not support my fan theory, so the show failed. WandaVision made me look foolish, and all entertainment must support my ego.

I really hope that Marvel learns from the errors they made with WandaVision. We can’t allow studios to enable creators to entrust their audience with emotions and thematic resonance. The whole point of an interconnected superhero universe is to abandon the main plotline as soon as it gets to selling us on the next thing in the interconnected superhero universe. Rather than selling us on Fantastic Four or Doctor Strange 2 or the arrival of mutants—things that we have already been sold on and will watch no matter what—WandaVision was about feelings and characters and that’s just unacceptable. I do not watch superhero movies and shows to think and feel. I watch them so that my fandom is affirmed, and being a fan means always looking ahead to the next thing rather than spending time in the present. Now if you’ll excuse me, I need to start theorizing about when we can expect Chris Evans to make a cameo in The Falcon and the Winter Soldier.
https://collider.com/wandavision-pro...gEdnBy83V4gito
Old 03-06-21, 11:56 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 278 Likes on 210 Posts

Kind of sucks for all the people in the town. A lot. Would have been nice to give them more of a wrap up other than staring at Wanda who, instead of leaving in disgrace, gets a warm welcome from Monica and flies away. Especially the "co-stars", give them like one minute of reflection at least. The boss from episode 1, I expected him to at least appear in some other manner in other episodes. I expected a little more on that element since in episode 4 the researchers were painstakingly identifying every single person. In a sense, they went through a "blip" of their own, lost their lives for weeks, and then their experience is tossed aside. Monica, who got blipped herself is basically like "lol everything is good Wanda, I would have done the same to bring my Mother back."

One thing I will appreciate is that for the most part, the "real world" stuff was actually pretty serious. There was comic relief, but there weren't the typical Marvel movie jokes that would try to make fun of the situation and have Kat Dennings ask for popcorn while watching the show or something stupid like that.

Last edited by bluetoast; 03-07-21 at 12:04 AM.
Old 03-07-21, 12:50 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 993 Likes on 701 Posts

Originally Posted by tanman
Explained earlier in the previous episode. Agatha was drawn to the Hex that Wanda created on her own by the sheer power of it all. Immediately set up shop and blended in for reconnaissance since she didn't know what she was dealing with. She said she was trying to nudge her from her ridiculous fantasy gently first by screwing with her fantasy, then setting doubts in Vision's mind, then finally sending Fietro and then, when Monica showed up, stealing her kids and luring her to her lair so she could speed up the process. Once she found out she was the Scarlett Witch and she had chaos magic she knew what she was dealing with and there was no further need for blending in. Her ultimate goal was to absorb her powers because, "That's her thing". She didn't switch up sitcom decades and didn't (or did she to pull her from her fantasy?) have anything to do with the stork.
Ok. I misunderstood the decades glitching in the later episodes as being Agatha's doing, but I realize I was probably wrong about that. The other stuff I was all pretty clear on, but I still don't see how nudging Wanda out of the fantasy really did anything to help her achieve her goal. Maybe I'm just let down after the "it was Agatha all along" reveal because really it wasn't "Agatha all along". She ultimately didn't mean a whole lot to the story. In fact I'm not even sure what the story was in the end other than making the Scarlet Witch name official and setting up Dr. Strange 2 and the new Vision. It certainly didn't feel like Wanda actually came to terms with her grief. In fact it seems like things are even worse now. But maybe I'm misreading the post credit scene.

In the end I was underwhelmed. I loved the sitcom stuff and anytime Wanda and Vision were together, but the outside the bubble stuff was mostly death and yet again everything has to devolve into a big cgi fight, whether it was thematically appropriate or not. And I know it's been discussed a bunch already, but the "they'll never know how much you sacrificed" bit was nauseating.
Old 03-07-21, 01:23 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,711 Likes on 1,064 Posts

That Collider piece is SPOT FUCKING ON.

People who wanted Dr. Strange or Cthon just completely missed the deeply emotional story about a woman coming to terms with her grief and ultimately choosing acceptance. The scenes toward the end with her saying good night to her children knowing they would disappear and then having to watch Vision “die” again were incredibly moving.

I can’t wait to watch the whole thing again.
Old 03-07-21, 05:24 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Draven
That Collider piece is SPOT FUCKING ON.

People who wanted Dr. Strange or Cthon just completely missed the deeply emotional story about a woman coming to terms with her grief and ultimately choosing acceptance. The scenes toward the end with her saying good night to her children knowing they would disappear and then having to watch Vision “die” again were incredibly moving.

I can’t wait to watch the whole thing again.
I'll correct you just a little bit and add the qualifier that the people who were mad they didn't get Dr. Strange and Cthon completely missed the story. I think it was okay to look into things and theorize and pick up on easter eggs but if you end up being disappointed and disliking the series just because that stuff didn't happen then that's too bad. I do feel bad for the people that really got suckered in to it though. It was easy to do with 30 minute YouTube breakdowns of why this big bad will show up and what this smudgy little icon means. It's hard not to get wrapped up. But I'm glad to say that at least, unlike say Lost for instance, most of the hype was fan generated. Besides a few tweets from cast members the creative staff didn't purposely drum up the whole mystery box thing. In fact I think the last week a lot of them were trying to do a bit of damage control with the expectations from the viewers. It's really hard to tell but I hope there weren't that many people that genuinely didn't enjoy it because they thought such and such would happen.

The ironic thing is one of the common complaints about the MCU is that they are always setting up the next movie. My opinion is that the MCU does a good job of weaving little threads and dropping bread crumbs without sacrificing whatever story they are telling at the time. That's one of the reasons the end of the credit stingers work so well is they separate themselves from the main story.
The following users liked this post:
Boondock Saint (03-07-21)
Old 03-07-21, 10:37 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 245 Likes on 156 Posts

Agatha's presence in Westview seems to be the biggest unacknowledged issue in the series. DId she live in Westview and was caught up in Wanda's madness? Did she sense what was going on and enter the hex? She seemed jealous of Wanda's powers and wanted them for her own, so maybe she had been shadowing Wanda for a while. Was Agatha "snapped" by Thanos.

Looking forward the the next Dr. Strange movie even more now. The relationship between Agatha's "magic" and Strange's "sorcery" should be interesting to see.
Old 03-07-21, 12:19 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 231 Likes on 159 Posts

So do we have confirmation that this was the Series Finale or was that simply just the title of the episode and this was actually the " Season Finale ".
Old 03-07-21, 01:04 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,704 Likes on 2,662 Posts

So this Friday for those interested will be a Making of special.
Old 03-07-21, 02:03 PM
Banned

Received 1,000 Likes on 666 Posts

Old 03-07-21, 03:26 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 564 Likes on 414 Posts

Originally Posted by Jason
Agatha's presence in Westview seems to be the biggest unacknowledged issue in the series. DId she live in Westview and was caught up in Wanda's madness? Did she sense what was going on and enter the hex? She seemed jealous of Wanda's powers and wanted them for her own, so maybe she had been shadowing Wanda for a while. Was Agatha "snapped" by Thanos.

Looking forward the the next Dr. Strange movie even more now. The relationship between Agatha's "magic" and Strange's "sorcery" should be interesting to see.
Sounds like you missed a few episodes because Agatha's presence was acknowledged and explained. She is a powerful witch who sensed hex magic when Wanda created the hex bubble so she entered the hex and played along with Wanda's sitcom so she could see how powerful she actually was. Once she saw how powerful she was she kept pushing Wanda to unleash her full power so she could take for her own. She didn't live in Westview previously that's why she wasn't able to be identified by SWORD like they did the other residents.
Old 03-07-21, 05:25 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 78 Likes on 57 Posts

Originally Posted by candyrocket786
So do we have confirmation that this was the Series Finale or was that simply just the title of the episode and this was actually the " Season Finale ".
There are no current plans for a season 2 or follow up of any kind outside of her appearance in the next Dr Strange film.

So yes, ep 9 was the series finale.
Old 03-07-21, 07:38 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 456 Likes on 314 Posts

Originally Posted by bluetoast
There was comic relief, but there weren't the typical Marvel movie jokes that would try to make fun of the situation and have Kat Dennings ask for popcorn while watching the show or something stupid like that.
Oof, I hate to inform you then, that Kat was, in fact, eating popcorn while watching one of the episodes.

Edit: Or maybe it was potato chips. I'm not going to chase it down to confirm:

Old 03-07-21, 09:41 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by TheBang
Oof, I hate to inform you then, that Kat was, in fact, eating popcorn while watching one of the episodes.

Chips.

And double oof because it was clearly product placement for baked Lays.

And triple oof because it was leveraged as a joke where Darcy is asking Jimmy if he wants any (meaning chips) and Jimmy goes on about how he thought about having kids (since they were just talking about Wanda and Vision having a baby).

Ugh...how dare they inject a sense of humor, fun and a bit of character moments in the show. It needs to be super serious. No jokes!
IBJoel (03-08-21)
Old 03-08-21, 03:33 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

"Am I Mephisto?"

spainlinx0 (03-08-21)
Old 03-08-21, 05:16 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 259 Likes on 152 Posts

Originally Posted by tanman

‘WandaVision’ Failed to Deliver Things That Were Never Promised to Me

https://collider.com/wandavision-pro...gEdnBy83V4gito
Sorry tanman, I normally enjoy your posts, especially in Covid threads, and no offense intended, but fuck this article. I’m tempted to print it out and wipe my ass with with it. Heaven forbid people UNDERSTANDABLY speculate over Evan Peters casting and the bullshit spewed by Bettany and the actress that played Rambeau (“When I, well … I can’t wait to see what y’all’s reaction is when you learn who the aerospace engineer is,” Parris said. “Everything about this show excites me. There are so many little surprises, things you don’t expect. So, in keeping with the theme the show has already set up, I’m always excited.”).
I think we’re completely justified in being annoyed by stunt casting that amounted to a dick joke and the handful of actors that had to go and spread their little nuggets of fuckery to get people expecting things that were never going to be part of this show.

And wtf is up with the Skrulls? I never read Secret Invasion, but I thought the Skrulls were the bad guys who infiltrated the govt, leading to the Kree joining our side. But in the MCU the Skrulls don't really seem to be villains even though they’re still infiltrating positions. Are the Kree bad in the MCU rather than the Skrulls?
MysterioMan007 (03-11-21)
Old 03-08-21, 05:40 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 850 Likes on 558 Posts

So was the aerospace engineer supposed to be the Skrull?
Old 03-08-21, 07:31 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 427 Likes on 291 Posts

Great season, great finale, enjoyed it all. I would have loved more X-Men stuff, but I wasn't expecting this for an end credit scene

story (03-10-21)
Old 03-08-21, 07:55 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 976 Likes on 707 Posts

How were things left with Agnes? She's still in character but the rest of the town isn't anymore? How will that work?
Old 03-08-21, 07:59 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 742 Likes on 544 Posts

Interesting talk with Matt Shakman on the Fatman Beyond podcast with Kevin Smith.

The "kick-ass" line was not intentional...
Old 03-08-21, 08:53 AM
Administrator

Received 1,075 Likes on 625 Posts

Originally Posted by Tom Banjo
And wtf is up with the Skrulls? I never read Secret Invasion, but I thought the Skrulls were the bad guys who infiltrated the govt, leading to the Kree joining our side. But in the MCU the Skrulls don't really seem to be villains even though they’re still infiltrating positions. Are the Kree bad in the MCU rather than the Skrulls?
In the comics, both the Kree and the Skrulls (and the Shi'ar, for that matter) are "bad guys", but all of them have various factions that help or hurt Earth's heroes. The Kree aren't in Secret Invasion in the comics (minus probably some of the "Secret Invasion: [insert subtitle]" extraneous books), but likely will be in the show/movies.

My guess is that the show will be scaled way back, anyways, as the comic had world-altering implications (Norman Osborn becomes the leader of SHIELD's successor, Hank Pym being a Skrull, etc) and I can't imagine they do the whole, "vast conspiracy where your favorite characters are not actually your favorite characters" plot across a whole slate of films. Could be way too confusing.
Old 03-08-21, 09:06 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 278 Likes on 210 Posts

Originally Posted by TheBang

Damn didn’t notice that. Okay, at least they didn’t have her sipping on some empty soda cup and having Randall Park pissed because he couldn’t hear.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.