Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

WandaVision (S1E09) - “The Series Finale” - 3/5/21

TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Old 03-05-21, 02:07 AM

Received 1,059 Likes on 720 Posts

The events of WandaVision come to a head, and the destinies of all who took part are determined.

Last edited by dex14; 03-05-21 at 05:01 AM.
Old 03-05-21, 02:51 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 827 Likes on 616 Posts
Re: WandaVision (S1E09) - “The Series Finale” - 3/5/21

Just finished it. It was good, but it was pretty straightforward. Nothing really surprising at all. And there was no cameo. Bettany was right, he just acted opposite himself. It was really wrapping up this story with Wanda emerging as the Scarlett Witch. Wanda was also finally coming to terms with her grief and accepting that her family and this make believe town wasn’t real.

There are two post credit scenes, The first one I assume is a tease for Captain Marvel 2. The second one I’m not really sure what that meant.

But overall it was a fun ride for the last several weeks. Marvel and the writers did a good job developing Wanda Maximoff and making her a sympathetic tragic hero,

Last edited by DJariya; 03-05-21 at 03:00 AM.
Old 03-05-21, 02:58 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 72 Likes on 50 Posts

The second one most likely leads into
Spoiler:
Dr. Strange 2
Old 03-05-21, 04:23 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 235 Likes on 141 Posts

I found this frustrating and disappointing. Evan Peters was reduced to a dick joke.
The following users liked this post:
VinVega (03-05-21)
Old 03-05-21, 04:30 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 72 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by Tom Banjo View Post
I found this frustrating and disappointing. Evan Peters was reduced to a dick joke.
So much potential.... completely wasted.

....and Viz 2.0??? That's it?
Old 03-05-21, 04:34 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 56 Likes on 46 Posts

Wow does Olsen look good in that Scarlett Witch outfit. Hubba hubba.

I found it a satisfying finale. At first i was scratching my head as Bettany had mentioned working with an actor in the last episode that he has been wanting to for some time, but then dawned on me its just against himself. Funny.

Nice nod to Blade Runner on the cinema billboard during the first post credit scene.
Old 03-05-21, 05:10 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 43 Likes on 36 Posts

Sheesh. Tough crowd.

It fully stuck the landing for me.

Resolved all the plot points in a fashion that was consistent with how the characters were established up to that point- yet at the same time, what it left unresolved, or ambiguous, were things that can either be revisited later or not.
Spoiler:
The inconclusive ultimate fate of white Vision didn't materially affect the main story. His little plot thread had enough of a resolution for this story.

The only point I didn't dig was
Spoiler:
The director of a powerful, independent agency immediately being put into cuffs on the word of one agent from a separate agency (who disobeyed authority ). The show didn't need that kind of cheesy, throwaway satisfaction moment.

Otherwise, I was fully sated, while still looking forward to seeing the rest of this character's arc in the next DS movie.

Most importantly, for me, the series finally paid off the potential that was always there with these (two) characters all along, but never fully exploited in any of the previous films.

It embellished the relationship that I wanted to see that was only really hinted at, and also gave a more profound sense of closure- while again, still leaving hope that maybe that's not all there is for
Spoiler:
Bettany/Viz in the MCU.

As someone who was complaining a decade+ ago about the skittishness of live action properties to be more faithful to the original costumes for these kinds of characters, the show was enormously satisfying on that production design level.
Wanda's original costume was integrated well, and her final Scarlet Witch incarnation, with headpiece, was great to see too. This series has been all win for me, and one of my absolute favorite MCU outings yet.
It's almost to beat IW/EG in how well they paid off all the set up that came before them- but I enjoyed this almost as much- and even more on a purely cathartic, emotional level.
Wonderfully executed by all involved.

I just wish the episode scores were priced more realistically as I loved Becks work- especially the early up tempo lounge material. Ten minutes of score for $12 per download is total BS though.

One last thing- I had a major hit of deja vu watching the second coda. Not just the audio and visuals, but flashing forward to the inevitable conversations about it. Spooked me.
The following 2 users liked this post by Paul_SD:
B.A. (03-07-21), tanman (03-05-21)
Old 03-05-21, 05:54 AM

Received 1,059 Likes on 720 Posts

I'm satisfied. My biggest takeaway is giving two great actors, who were somewhat in the background, a chance to flesh out their characters more and show their acting talents. If all these Disney+ shows can do that, I'm cool.

But man... did this cast fuck with us in interviews. That's the downside of weekly episodes. Sure... it is fun to discuss and theorize, but some people build things up so much and their expectations can't be met or are let down that something didn't happen. Am I let down? No. Am I surprised some stuff did not happen? Yes. But, from everything we've been told so far, this seems to be Part 1 of a continuing arch.

Olsen in the SW costume...
The following 3 users liked this post by dex14:
B.A. (03-07-21), Deftones (03-05-21), tanman (03-05-21)
Old 03-05-21, 07:27 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 235 Likes on 141 Posts

I fell victim to it as much as anyone, but the hype train went off the rails with this. Bettany was a big part of it, as was the Evan Peters stunt casting that caused all the multiverse/X-Men speculation. Those two things combined with weekly hype was the problem. I didn’t put much stock into the Fantastic Four speculation that others did, but from what I’ve seen on Reddit that for sure played a role in the disappointment that many have felt. I would have been a lot more satisfied if this had been a binge. The Evan Peters stunt casting would have still thrown me, but it would have been like 90 minutes of inner speculation vs 3 weeks. And they could still technically make that work... I can easily see the Peters Quicksilver making a dick joke out of a fake name. He could be Woo’s inside man that was never revealed.
So yeah, I guess I can concede that part of the problem wasn’t so much with the episode itself, but with all the baggage I brought into it. It’s certainly got me tempted to wait and binge Falcon & Winter Soldier, but I doubt I’ll have the self control.
Old 03-05-21, 07:41 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 270 Likes on 208 Posts

I liked it a lot, they made it very obvious there wasn't going to be any kind of big revelation a couple weeks back and it's been a fun ride regardless.
tanman (03-05-21)
Old 03-05-21, 07:49 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 160 Likes on 110 Posts

Thematically, the finale did what it had to do and left us with a satisfying ending. Are there still a ton of questions? Absolutely. But the story wrapped up well and set up some interesting paths for these characters to grow.

The hype was a burden, no doubt. Everything from Fantastic Four, X-Men, the Multiverse, Dr. Strange, you name it. I think many who feel disappointed fell victim to the hype train (I certainly did, a little). But taken for what it is, and not would it could have been, WandaVision succeeded with 9 episodes of thrilling, unique, and touching television.
The following 2 users liked this post by Hokeyboy:
Paul_SD (03-05-21), VinVega (03-05-21)
Old 03-05-21, 07:53 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 299 Likes on 205 Posts

I really liked the season finale even if I had too high expectations for the season finale due to all the rumors and Disney purchases over the past several years. Still, the show is clearly laying the groundwork for the next phases, including the hint of House of M and Secret Invasion
Spoiler:
As Agnes said during the battle, the Scarlet Witch is going to destroy the world, which is what she did during House of M.

I'm glad Agatha is being kept around as she's the mentor for Wanda in the comic books

I'm glad Vision still around and he will certainly come back at some point.

Since Hayward had mentioned that the Sokovia accords are still active, I imagine Wanda and Vision are fugitives once again. I'm guessing there's no Avengers as of right now.

As for Peter's Quicksilver, there still the whole Doctor Strange multiverse film to explore that possibility of him coming back. Speaking of which, Strange should have had a cameo on this show. I mean, he's the Sorcerer Supreme, and the one that should be aware of magic powers being misused around the world, as he said in Thor: Ragnarok, yet he was nowhere to be found.
VinVega (03-05-21)
Old 03-05-21, 08:11 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as Groucho AND Bandoman/Death Moans, Iowa
Received 139 Likes on 94 Posts

The Visions fight be like

The following 3 users liked this post by majorjoe23:
Deftones (03-05-21), IBJoel (03-05-21), tanman (03-05-21)
Old 03-05-21, 08:36 AM

Received 32 Likes on 27 Posts

In terms of what it was going for, having Wanda work through her grief, it was great. For all the hype thrown in by the actors/makers of the show, it was a bit of a disappointment. Mostly the Evan Peters character for me fell flat. But the show ended on a fun episode. I don't know much about the comics or the Scarlet Witch in general, so it was nice to finally have her get her own chance to shine. Elizabeth Olsen did a great job and I can now fully appreciate her character. It was a good show. I'm glad I watched it, even if there were certain disappointing aspects of it.
Old 03-05-21, 08:55 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 67 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by RichC2 View Post
I liked it a lot, they made it very obvious there wasn't going to be any kind of big revelation a couple weeks back and it's been a fun ride regardless.
Thats my take too.

I watched too many Nerdist videos talking about these big introductions that could come. I was waiting for Mephisto and The X Men. Got new Vision. And a Skrull in the end credits. Ha.
Old 03-05-21, 08:55 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Elizabeth Olsen in that costume though
Old 03-05-21, 08:58 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 177 Likes on 127 Posts

I’d be lying if I said I wasn’t a tad bit disappointed due to all the hype built in my head. I think this show is a prime example of why it’s not always beneficial to have read the comics.
My friends who have no comic knowledge, had no expectations and didn’t pick up on the red herrings that ended up being nothing.
That being said, I still loved this show and I’m sad it’s over. I hope we get to see more Vision as I really liked Bettany in the role. It seemed like he legitimately enjoys playing the part.
Old 03-05-21, 10:40 AM
Administrator

Received 199 Likes on 142 Posts

I thought it was... pretty bad? The bro-mance/romance stuff of the MCU has never clicked with me, because the media is so plot-driven that I have a tough time caring when there are much larger themes that get ignored/stakes to worry about. I'm also not a big fan of magic stuff in general (Harry Potter works for me because it's got a pretty clear allegory and Doctor Strange I like because it was more transcendentalist). The early episodes were a cool way to play around with the medium and its history, but once you take that away, I'm just sort of bored.

Also, what happened to White Vision? I thought the implication was that Hex Vision now had control over his original body, but then there was Wanda and Vision's tearful goodbye. So did that just not get addressed? Did I miss it? Is White Vision just presumed out there, somewhere? Wouldn't he want to get back with Wanda?

Other Questions:
-Does Monica retain her powers without the Hex?
-So Monica called in an astrophysicist just to bring her the Armadillo from Armageddon?
-I guess Nick Fury is not associated with SWORD and is just doing his own thing?

Things I did like:
-Vision's talk with himself
-Phil Bohner
-Darcy's entrance

Last edited by IBJoel; 03-05-21 at 10:52 AM.
Old 03-05-21, 11:24 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by IBJoel View Post
I thought it was... pretty bad? The bro-mance/romance stuff of the MCU has never clicked with me, because the media is so plot-driven that I have a tough time caring when there are much larger themes that get ignored/stakes to worry about. I'm also not a big fan of magic stuff in general (Harry Potter works for me because it's got a pretty clear allegory and Doctor Strange I like because it was more transcendentalist). The early episodes were a cool way to play around with the medium and its history, but once you take that away, I'm just sort of bored.
I don't see the difference. The clear allegory here was Wanda's journey through the various stages of grief (mostly denial), and her longing for a loving family life after losing her parents, her brother, and the love of her life -- hence all the sitcoms parodied were family-based. And the magical elements were no different than Potter's wizards zapping each other around with wands.
Also, what happened to White Vision? I thought the implication was that Hex Vision now had control over his original body, but then there was Wanda and Vision's tearful goodbye. So did that just not get addressed? Did I miss it? Is White Vision just presumed out there, somewhere? Wouldn't he want to get back with Wanda?
We don't know what happened to White Vision. He's out there somewhere processing his memories/existence, I'm assuming. Hex Vision was a manifestation of Wanda's memories powered by her lingering Mind Stone energies, and could not really exist separate from her or the Hex. All he did was show White Vision how to access his memory files.

Other Questions:
-Does Monica retain her powers without the Hex?
Yes. Darcy made it clear that Monica's genes were permanently being rewritten every time she crossed the Hex threshold, giving her her powers.
-So Monica called in an astrophysicist just to bring her the Armadillo from Armageddon?
Admittedly, that was underwhelming.
-I guess Nick Fury is not associated with SWORD and is just doing his own thing?
SWORD is a separate entity from SHIELD, and Fury's hanging out up in space anyhow... prepping for the Secret Invasion, I suppose.
IBJoel (03-05-21)
Old 03-05-21, 12:01 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 246 Likes on 180 Posts

I’ve been saying for a few weeks now that people were going way too off the deep end with theories. It started when the rumor that the last three episodes were an hour each and that turned out untrue. Bettany’s nervous reveal on GMA that he was just trolling about the guest star was pretty hilarious and accurate as someone genuinely trying to put the cat her let out of the bag. They confirmed it in the show though with the Agatha all along which turned out to be particularly true.

I loved it. I didn’t expect it to have such an emotional gut punch. That was an incredibly sad ending to the series. I’m more mad there isn’t a Wanda movie or second season or one last wrap up show. I know Dr. Strange 2 will be the continuation of this story but this story won’t be the main story. I think I would be happier if they didn’t tease us with that last stinger and the “mom help” dialogue. That brought up some B4 induced bad feelings. At least we know this isn’t the last we’ll see of the Scarlett Witch.

The following 3 users liked this post by tanman:
Hokeyboy (03-05-21), IBJoel (03-05-21), The Antipodean (03-05-21)
Old 03-05-21, 12:06 PM
Administrator

Originally Posted by Hokeyboy View Post
I don't see the difference. The clear allegory here was Wanda's journey through the various stages of grief (mostly denial), and her longing for a loving family life after losing her parents, her brother, and the love of her life -- hence all the sitcoms parodied were family-based. And the magical elements were no different than Potter's wizards zapping each other around with wands.
Right, but... That stuff is both immediately obvious to viewers, but not directly addressed by the characters until like, last week. And they don't need a big fight at the end that really has nothing to do with Wanda's grief processing. Frankly, the story shouldn't have a "villain" at all, besides Wanda herself. I think having Agatha Harkness and SWORD Director cheapens the impact of Wanda's emotional journey and allows the writers to gloss over the fact that what Wanda did was SUPREMELY messed up, even her solution to Agatha in the end is "strip her of her free will". I get that they want to have Wanda confronted with her lack of control, but instead she could just realize what she's done and go seek help, which is a much more grounded and relatable way of telling that story.

It's the same issue I have with Civil War: Instead of reflecting on heroes' mistakes and the obvious allegory for the US's foreign policy (thereby making it applicable to the real world), they shift to "gotta save my bro and stop the bad guy". It's so adolescent. Yes, I realize that may come off as a silly critique of the superhero genre, but I wouldn't have such a problem with it if the more nuanced story wasn't RIGHT THERE. I've got zero problem with the Avengers movies, because they're basically just spectacle with some tacked-on message at the end. They don't try to be anything else. And I love Winter Soldier and Black Panther, because they actually DO go into those heavier themes and make the villains/external conflict representative of them.

We don't know what happened to White Vision. He's out there somewhere processing his memories/existence, I'm assuming. Hex Vision was a manifestation of Wanda's memories powered by her lingering Mind Stone energies, and could not really exist separate from her or the Hex. All he did was show White Vision how to access his memory files.
Ah, thank you. I thought I had missed something.

SWORD is a separate entity from SHIELD, and Fury's hanging out up in space anyhow... prepping for the Secret Invasion, I suppose.
I know it's a different organization, I just assumed that Fury had switched to SWORD, given where he was at the end of Far From Home and SWORD's purpose in the comics. I guess he could still be part of SWORD. Probably will be answered in Secret Invasion, like you said.

Last edited by IBJoel; 03-05-21 at 12:12 PM.
The following 3 users liked this post by IBJoel:
Crocker Jarmen (03-05-21), Hokeyboy (03-05-21), spainlinx0 (03-05-21)
Old 03-05-21, 12:08 PM
Administrator

Originally Posted by tanman View Post
I’ve been saying for a few weeks now that people were going way too off the deep end with theories. It started when the rumor that the last three episodes were an hour each and that turned out untrue. Bettany’s nervous reveal on GMA that he was just trolling about the guest star was pretty hilarious and accurate as someone genuinely trying to put the cat her let out of the bag. They confirmed it in the show though with the Agatha all along which turned out to be particularly true.

I loved it. I didn’t expect it to have such an emotional gut punch. That was an incredibly sad ending to the series. I’m more mad there isn’t a Wanda movie or second season or one last wrap up show. I know Dr. Strange 2 will be the continuation of this story but this story won’t be the main story. I think I would be happier if they didn’t tease us with that last stinger and the “mom help” dialogue. That brought up some B4 induced bad feelings. At least we know this isn’t the last we’ll see of the Scarlett Witch.
Haha I've been going through Voyager and Vision's talk with "himself" gave me big time Seven of Nine/Data/Doctor vibes.

EDIT:

Last edited by IBJoel; 03-05-21 at 12:17 PM.
The following 3 users liked this post by IBJoel:
Big Boy Laroux (03-05-21), tanman (03-05-21), Why So Blu? (03-05-21)
Old 03-05-21, 12:23 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by IBJoel View Post
Right, but... That stuff is both immediately obvious to viewers, but not directly addressed by the characters until like, last week. And they don't need a big fight at the end that really has nothing to do with Wanda's grief processing. Frankly, the story shouldn't have a "villain" at all, besides Wanda herself. I think having Agatha Harkness and SWORD Director cheapens the impact of Wanda's emotional journey and allows the writers to gloss over the fact that what Wanda did was SUPREMELY messed up, even her solution to Agatha in the end is "strip her of her free will". I get that they want to have Wanda confronted with her lack of control, but instead she could just realize what she's done and go seek help, which is a much more grounded and relatable way of telling that story.
Wanda is the real villain here, and I think they showed this well. She enslaved and mentally tortured an entire town as the process of dealing with her grief. Agatha Harkness is certainly an adversary of sorts, but she didn't create the conflict; Wanda did. Agatha used the conflict to determine whether or not Wanda was the Scarlet Witch, to absorb her powers (either to save the world, or for her own benefit, or both), and eventually offering to help her understand her powers and potential (admittedly as a last-ditch effort to save herself). She's far from altruistic but I don't quite think she's evil, or even the villain.

She's also slated to appear in Doctor Strange 2 so I don't think her story and relationship with Wanda is far from over (and the comic storylines confirm this, although I wouldn't be beholden to any of those at this time).

Heywood was the mustache-twirling government bad guy, but he was small potatoes in the end. He couldn't defeat Wanda. Neither could Agatha. Or Monica. Wanda "had to defeat herself"... cliche as it is, it makes thematic sense. She had to move into acceptance, not only of Vision's death, but of what she did to the people of Westview.

I think Marvel handled this really well. The DCEU would have taken that final conflict and kept all the flashbang action and CGI overload, but without any of the character moments and emotional resonance. I say that very sadly, as a DC fan.
The following 2 users liked this post by Hokeyboy:
Paul_SD (03-05-21), tanman (03-05-21)
Old 03-05-21, 12:28 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 44 Likes on 34 Posts

It was good overall and the series grew on me. But as someone who does not read the comics, I have to say the last post-credit scene was confusing as heck to me.
Spoiler:
Is that a Skrull holding Wanda /Scarlet witch captive while she learns from the book or is that somehow Wanda watching herself?

Old 03-05-21, 12:30 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 25 Likes on 14 Posts

That was a fantastic finish... Olsen was great in this series.

Give me more... =)

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.