Constantine Getting Younger In New Dark Reboot From Bad Robot, HBO Max

TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Old 02-18-21, 05:33 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 30 Likes on 27 Posts

https://www.syfy.com/syfywire/consta...-robot-hbo-max

CW’s Arrowverse and a series of films produced by Warner Bros. Animation, a new version of DC ComicsJohn Constantine is now heading to HBO Max. Citing unnamed sources, both Deadline and Variety are reporting that J.J. Abrams’ Bad Robot is developing a Constantine series with WarnerMedia for the streaming service.

The new series would not be connected to The CW’s Arrowverse shows and the eponymous hero will not be reprised by Matt Ryan ... or Keanu Reeves, for that matter. Instead, this show will focus on a younger version of the trenchcoated paranormal investigator and exorcist and be played by a non-white actor (who has yet to be cast). "Fledgling writer" Guy Bolton has penned the pilot and plans to set up the writers’ room next month, according to Deadline. Representatives from HBO Max declined to confirm or comment on the media reports.

The series would be directly connected to the Justice League Dark series that Bad Robot is also currently developing for HBO Max. Rather than the conventional heroes found in the Hall of Justice, Justice League Dark is DC Comics’ team of paranormal heroes and antiheroes who tackle the paranormal problems and supernatural threats that Aquaman and The Flash would rather not touch. In addition to Constantine, the squad’s lineup has included Zatanna, Swamp Thing, Deadman, Detective Chimp, Man-Bat, Traci Thirteen, Nabu, Upside-Down Man, and Blue Devil, among others.

Originally appearing in DC Comics’ The Saga of Swamp Thing issue #37 in 1985, then later heading up his own comic book series Hellblazer in 1988, Constantine is a London-based chain-smoking warlock and occult detective who hunts down demons while of course battling his own (because metaphors).

The character was first portrayed in live action by Reeves in the 2005 film, Constantine. Ryan then played him in the NBC series, Constantine, which ran for one season between 2014 and 2015. Ryan then reprised the role in The CW series Arrow and DC’s Legends of Tomorrow, as well as animated films such as Justice League Dark, Constantine: City of Demons, and Justice League Dark: Apokolips War.

Constantine and Justice League Dark are part of Abrams’ and Bad Robot’s $500 million mega-deal to create films, shows, games, theme parks, and other media for WarnerMedia between now and 2024. In addition to these two shows, Abrams is also developing Overlook, a horror-thriller based on Stephen King's The Shining; and Duster, about a getaway driver for a crime syndicate in the 1970s Southwest, also for HBO Max.

Old 02-18-21, 05:42 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 888 Likes on 751 Posts
Re: Constantine Getting Younger In New Dark Reboot From Bad Robot, HBO Max

Sounds real good. I’ve loved the animated Constantine in the JL: Dark movies and liked Reeves movie. Never saw series.
Old 02-18-21, 09:30 PM
Suspended

Received 101 Likes on 87 Posts

The NBC series was terrible and was the movie.

Hard pass especially since it’ll be caving to 2020 demands.
Old 02-18-21, 09:52 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,357 Likes on 922 Posts

Originally Posted by Gizmo
Hard pass especially since it’ll be caving to 2020 demands.
I.e. casting a minority in the role...
Old 02-19-21, 12:13 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 111 Likes on 74 Posts

I love the Reeves Movie.
Old 02-19-21, 12:13 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 225 Likes on 154 Posts

No Matt Ryan...

Then don't fucking bother..

He was excellent in Apokolips War.
Old 02-19-21, 11:12 AM
Suspended

Originally Posted by Deftones
I.e. casting a minority in the role...
i.e. Yes. Things can be the same and not everything has to race/gender swap from White/Man into something else. That’s not progress, that’s pandering. It’s what 2020/2021 is good for.

just waiting for a Family Matters reboot to have a white cast and get attacked, while a black cast Wonder Years is accepted. Sad.
Old 02-19-21, 12:22 PM

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Gizmo
i.e. Yes. Things can be the same and not everything has to race/gender swap from White/Man into something else. That’s not progress, that’s pandering. It’s what 2020/2021 is good for.

just waiting for a Family Matters reboot to have a white cast and get attacked, while a black cast Wonder Years is accepted. Sad.
Because there are so few sitcoms featuring white families, you poor oppressed member of the majority.
The following 2 users liked this post by xraybies:
Deftones (02-19-21), majorjoe23 (02-19-21)
Old 02-19-21, 01:51 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,432 Likes on 913 Posts

I'm not sure why that's so 2020. I remember bitter complaints in 1989 because Harvey Dent was played by a Black man in Batman.
The following users liked this post:
majorjoe23 (02-19-21)
Old 02-19-21, 01:55 PM
Suspended

Originally Posted by xraybies
Because there are so few sitcoms featuring white families, you poor oppressed member of the majority.
Not everything has to be changed/altered. A few protests shouldn’t change that - and it won’t.
Old 02-19-21, 02:37 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 178 Likes on 111 Posts

The fact that they're already ruling out white actors while not having cast the role is a sign of pandering, not the fact that they're going to change the race of the character. Just shows that they have no interest in casting the best actor for the role. People can make little snarky comments about "oppressed member of the majority" all they want, but Constantine has a fanbase who doesn't want the character changed. I hated the Keanu Reeves version, too, mostly because he was not that close to the original character. I'm all for diversity, but shoehorning it in because you want to follow a trend isn't going to make your show better. I like the Matt Ryan version, but he's been hampered by bad writing and material to work with. At this point, I think it's best to give someone else a shot with the character. But instead of changing races of existing characters, try to give us a show revolving around Cyborg, John Stewart,or Static Shock...or something. Black Lightning is on, but it's...not good. I guess we will have to wait and see...
The following users liked this post:
Gizmo (02-19-21)
Old 02-19-21, 03:56 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,677 Likes on 1,847 Posts

Originally Posted by Nick Danger
I'm not sure why that's so 2020. I remember bitter complaints in 1989 because Harvey Dent was played by a Black man in Batman.
I was pissed when they replaced Billy Dee Williams with Tommy Lee Jones in the third Batman movie. I was also disappointed Tim Burton and Michael Keaton didn't finish out the trilogy; I was fine with Jim Carrey as the Riddler, though.

Old 02-19-21, 03:58 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,748 Likes on 1,093 Posts

I'm in. (No shock there). I love all versions of Constantine. Multiverse Biiiiiiitch.
Old 02-19-21, 04:00 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,748 Likes on 1,093 Posts

Originally Posted by MysterioMan007
The fact that they're already ruling out white actors while not having cast the role is a sign of pandering, not the fact that they're going to change the race of the character. Just shows that they have no interest in casting the best actor for the role.
Awwe. Maybe this new guy is a really good actor.