Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

WandaVision (S1E01/E02) - "Filmed Before a Live Studio Audience" / "Don't Touch That Dial" - 1/15/21

Community
Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

WandaVision (S1E01/E02) - "Filmed Before a Live Studio Audience" / "Don't Touch That Dial" - 1/15/21

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-21, 12:13 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 650 Likes on 450 Posts
re: WandaVision (S1E01/E02) - "Filmed Before a Live Studio Audience" / "Don't Touch That Dial" - 1/15/21

Originally Posted by Troy Stiffler
That's why I thought maybe she was on a stage in a Sword or Shield facility. There are trailer clips that show a border fabric of some sort..
Well, I wasn't sure how far we should get into trailer footage when discussing these episodes, but I took those clips to be the edge of Wanda's reality distortion field.
Old 01-16-21, 12:48 PM
DVD Talk Legend

re: WandaVision (S1E01/E02) - "Filmed Before a Live Studio Audience" / "Don't Touch That Dial" - 1/15/21

So, going more into clips from the trailers and the making-of featurette...

Spoiler:
There's a few clips of the edge of Wanda's reality distortion field, and there's one shot of the beekeeper crawling through a tunnel/tube (sewers?) exiting the field, and it's still a beekeeper suit.

What if the suit is just normal beekeeper suit? What if what makes him special is that he's surrounded by bees? Think of the bees buzzing around him like dozens of tiny little minds. They're too tiny for Wanda to control, but too numerous for Wanda to get around/through and mind control the person in the middle. The sort of "hive mind" mentality of the bees may also be a factor, linking their minds together like a web. The bees are acting like a force field, blocking Wanda's mind control powers. The beekeeper outfit is to just keep him from being stung by the bees.
Old 01-16-21, 01:31 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 309 Likes on 231 Posts

I think we should think of this show as Wanda's vision. The WandaVision title is a play on that. Just my opinion as to where this is going.
The following users liked this post:
candyrocket786 (01-17-21)
Old 01-16-21, 05:08 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 32 Likes on 26 Posts

Definitely in for where this is going. I enjoyed these 2 episodes - thought the homage to the old sitcoms was done very well, with some great writing.

I bet this played as very strange for people that have no concept of the characters.
Old 01-16-21, 05:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 460 Likes on 373 Posts

I enjoyed the first two episodes but the second one much more since it has more hints and clues than the first one. I think the way the show has been set up, a rewatch will be necessary to go back and see where all the hints and clues has been laid out.
Old 01-16-21, 06:12 PM

Received 57 Likes on 34 Posts

Well, that was...something.

Ep. 1: They did a great job recreating a 50s style sitcom, but the plot was dull, and the laugh track only emphasized the lame "jokes". Not a great start.

Ep. 2: Loved the intro! Much better, and it did kind of feel like a lost episode of Bewitched. Elizabeth Olsen is adorable, and I liked the chemistry with her and Bettany here.

Like others said, there was too little of the mystery with such a short season. Hope they pick up the pace. It's cool seeing something creative like this, though.
Old 01-16-21, 06:35 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 275 Likes on 207 Posts

I disagree with the thoughts that this show should pick up the pace, and the "slow burn". I accept it as a sitcom, with some underlying reason for everything happening. I'm down with that. I have a feeling that this is going to divide people like the Mandalorian threads all over again.
Old 01-16-21, 07:40 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 216 Likes on 155 Posts

Love it so far! I love the risk taking and creativity. These are 25min episodes, lol... get over your pacing issues. They've already broken into color, I'll guess they break into whatever the real world is in Ep7.
Old 01-16-21, 08:59 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,743 Likes on 1,889 Posts

Originally Posted by Jay G.
I think Wanda has created a delusion, but it's not "in her own head," she's actually projected the delusion into reality.
That's what I suspect as well.

So far, the movies haven't really gotten into Scarlet Witch's reality altering abilities from the comics. This is probably it.

I have also heard that (casting)
Spoiler:
Evan Peters is in this. I wonder if he isn't going to play Quicksilver from the Fox X-Men films. Since the MCU is going to be getting into the "multiverse" in this phase, we might see Wanda bring her brother back by tapping into another universe and pulling him out. (Peters was the better Quicksilver.)

Much like how it looks like they're going to be making a "Sinister Six" in the Spiderman films by pulling out characters from the previous Spiderman flicks like Doctor Octopus and Electro.

I'm not entirely sold on the concept, though. Seems like something that could get really messy really fast, and dilute what was once a really focused, cohesive universe.

Old 01-16-21, 10:19 PM

Received 1,922 Likes on 1,133 Posts

I really liked this. I admit, I grinned quite a bit at the 50s and 60s tropes and thought they played well with what we know of Wanda and Vision as characters with something to hide in this context. Yeah, I'm quite intrigued by the mystery being set out here, fascinating stuff. I'm purposefully not watching the trailer and am avoiding spoiler images and writing to the best of my ability, I'm really looking forward to the unfolding.

I don't know enough about Marvel comics to know if this is a thing, but during the second episode's theme song, the way they kept repeating "WandaVision" sounded like "One Division." Is there a group known as "One Division" or something like that? Is the title itself a clue?
Old 01-17-21, 01:12 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,156 Likes on 902 Posts

The two episodes were definitely something. I knew to expect something completely different, and I liked the homages to classic era sitcoms. Olsen and Bettany are fun to watch. Just not sure what to really make of anything yet. From what I’ve heard though it sounds like things pick up more in episode three.

I have to wonder what a more casual fan thinks of this. Even as someone who’s familiar with the comics and a vague idea of the storyline some are thinking may have inspired the show (House of M) it’s still weird. Interesting for sure, but weird nonetheless.

Looking forward to seeing how things unfold though.
Old 01-17-21, 02:38 AM
Banned

Received 376 Likes on 295 Posts

That was interesting. I agree that Elizabeth Olsen (especially isn’t the pant suit) is just stunningly beautiful here. Kathryn Hahn just nails it here, she’s great in pretty much everything.

Did anyone think the voice that was asking Wanda, “Who did this to you?” sounded like Clint?
Old 01-17-21, 03:35 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 79 Likes on 57 Posts

Originally Posted by Eric F
That was interesting. I agree that Elizabeth Olsen (especially isn’t the pant suit) is just stunningly beautiful here. Kathryn Hahn just nails it here, she’s great in pretty much everything.

Did anyone think the voice that was asking Wanda, “Who did this to you?” sounded like Clint?
It was Randall Park reprising his role from Ant-man and the Wasp. I’m betting he and Darcy are trying to save Wanda from S.W.O.R.D.
Old 01-17-21, 06:31 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Fist of Doom Jr
Ep. 1: They did a great job recreating a 50s style sitcom, but the plot was dull, and the laugh track only emphasized the lame "jokes". Not a great start..
To be clear, the first episode was filmed in front of a live audience, so the laughter in response to the jokes was genuine, not canned laughter.

For episode 2, there's maybe a chance the opener in the bedroom was still in front of a live audience, but after that they shifted the style to single camera, so the laugh track must be canned laughter, or at least recorded after the fact.
Old 01-17-21, 07:48 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 194 Likes on 159 Posts

The kids and I watched it last night. Very intriguing. So many questions. Can’t wait for the next ep!
Old 01-17-21, 10:42 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 82 Likes on 70 Posts

Originally Posted by The Antipodean
I have to admit to being fairly underwhelmed. The sitcom schtick got very old very fast for me, and while Olsen and Bettany are quite game, this doesn’t “feel” much like the same characters at all. I hope the actual plot picks up speed as this just felt like a lot of wheel spinning to drag the Dick Van Dyke/Bewitched homage out over two episodes. Hope it improves.
Yeah, that's where I am. I actually turned it off a few minutes after the 'commercial break'. (I admit I did like noticing at least 2 clues to 'something else'.)
I like parodies, I like homages, I like alternate takes, I like classic sitcoms. I didn't like this. Maybe the laugh track was just so obnoxious (since very few programs I watch have one), even though I'm sure it was supposed to be. If that was actually solely audience laughter, then there must have been a guy just off stage with a huge sign saying "LAUGH DAMMIT!" because the jokes and references weren't that funny. Then again, I don't think Family Guy is funny at all, and clearly a lot of people think "HA HA HA POP CULTURE REFERENCE OR MASHUP OMG I'M LMFAO!"
I'm fine with TV tropes, about seven were crammed into the first ten minutes. (And then I watched the time travel episode of Summer Camp Island, which did the time travel trope excellently and humorously.)
This felt like a slightly tilted carbon copy of Bewitched where Darren can turn intangible. The boss and the boss's wife were straight out of those shows so that's at least good casting/acting.
I'll finish watching at least the first episode but so far I'm sorely disappointed.

If this is the kind of show where you have to be intimately familiar with Series 3, Issue 152 from 1983 to 'get the joke/reference', or that takes three or four episodes to really get going, it won't have me with it.
I probably fall into 'casual fan'. I've watched maybe half the MCU movies and I've only recently started reading Marvel comics again. (Reading through Civil War now!) I did read about half of the Vision miniseries or whatever it was.
This is a nine episode, half hour program - it can't take three episodes to 'get good' in this media landscape. And if it's a slow burn, fine, but it needs to at least smolder until then. I can always read the Wikipedia entry in a few months to get caught up if the show isn't worth it.
I can definitely see the reality-bending potential, which might be due to Wanda or due to an external force, but so far it's just not that fun getting to that point.
I hate to be Negative Man (sorry to mix universes!) but I was really looking forward to this, and honestly, so far it's about at the level of Call Me Kat in my opinion.
After finishing at least the first episode I will come back and edit/add if anything changes.

If I accept it as a 'slow burn', it needs to offer some more fuel.
If I accept is a straight sitcom, it needs to be....funny. And not annoying.

I'm in the mood to go watch Pleasantville now.

Edit:
OK I finished watching episode 1. It got much more tantalizing in the last couple minutes, which made the first fifteen or so minutes unfortunately painful. It's now moved to 'provisional' and I'll definitely watch at least E2. I hope they tone down the 60s sitcom angle, there's a lot that can be done in the 'escape into TV' space, if that's where it's going.

Does anyone remember the Video Jack comic? I think it was only 6 issues, not sure if planned or cancelled, but Jack was a TV addict who got sucked into a TV realm. Lots of show parodies and homages.

Last edited by tonyc3742; 01-17-21 at 11:14 AM.
Old 01-17-21, 10:50 AM
Dan
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,186 Likes on 837 Posts

I'm enjoying it. I hope they don't actually reveal too much about what's going on, as all the necessary hints seem to be there.
Old 01-17-21, 12:21 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 483 Likes on 319 Posts

I've only seen a few Marvel movies (the first Avengers and Iron Man, and the Dead Pool movies and Ant Man) so I'm likely not the target audience for this. So I enjoyed the first two episodes simply on the level of a re-creation of I Love Lucy and Bewitched type shows. Looking forward to seeing them do 70s and 80s and 90s.

And I love the toaster/watch commercial guy who looks like Peter Lorre!
Old 01-17-21, 01:08 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Disney+ has a new series called Marvel Studios LEGENDS that are basically brief recaps of MCU characters up to this point. They've started with two shorts, one for Wanda, one for Vision, presumably to get people caught up with the characters for the show.
https://www.disneyplus.com/series/ma...s/7YmtoS60RMH6

They've been pushing the series on the service for the past few weeks.
The following users liked this post:
B.A. (01-18-21)
Old 01-17-21, 01:14 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Crocker Jarmen
And I love the toaster/watch commercial guy who looks like Peter Lorre!
Ithamar Enriquez, it looks like he's done mostly guest roles on various TV shows:
https://www.imdb.com/name/nm2439800/
Old 01-17-21, 02:26 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 234 Likes on 138 Posts

Originally Posted by Mondo Kane
"Sword" is involved (Who are more in league with Shield) The Sword logo is seen on the little helicopter.
And seen at the end of episode 1 next to whomever was watching the "sitcom" universe on the monitor.
Old 01-17-21, 02:32 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,641 Likes on 2,613 Posts

Originally Posted by tonyc3742
Maybe the laugh track was just so obnoxious (since very few programs I watch have one), even though I'm sure it was supposed to be. If that was actually solely audience laughter, then there must have been a guy just off stage with a huge sign saying "LAUGH DAMMIT!" because the jokes and references weren't that funny. Then again, I don't think Family Guy is funny at all, and clearly a lot of people think "HA HA HA POP CULTURE REFERENCE OR MASHUP OMG I'M LMFAO!"
I'm fine with TV tropes, about seven were crammed into the first ten minutes. (And then I watched the time travel episode of Summer Camp Island, which did the time travel trope excellently and humorously.)
This felt like a slightly tilted carbon copy of Bewitched where Darren can turn intangible. The boss and the boss's wife were straight out of those shows so that's at least good casting/acting.
I'll finish watching at least the first episode but so far I'm sorely disappointed.

There was no laugh track. The 1st episode (in the behind the scenes feature I posted a page back) was filmed in front of a live studio audience.
Old 01-17-21, 03:31 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by DJariya
There was no laugh track. The 1st episode (in the behind the scenes feature I posted a page back) was filmed in front of a live studio audience.
The term "laugh track" seems to have been co-opted to mean audible audience laughter of any type. I stopped fighting it, and instead make the distinction between "live studio audience" and "canned laughter."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Laugh_track
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Studio_audience
Old 01-17-21, 04:12 PM
DVD Talk Legend & 2021 TOTY Winner

Received 746 Likes on 370 Posts

Every show that is filmed in front of a studio audience also has manipulation of the laughter. If it didn't get the laugh that they want, they "sweeten" it. If it gets too much and it overlaps the next line, they cut it out.
Old 01-17-21, 04:13 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,020 Likes on 630 Posts

Does one preclude the other? Isn't it possible that canned laughter was added in post-production to 'enhance' the studio audience reactions?

ETA: ninja'd by Obi-Wan Jabroni

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.