Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

Star Trek: Discovery (S3E13) -- Season Finale -- "That Hope is You Part 2" -- 1/7/21

Community
Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Star Trek: Discovery (S3E13) -- Season Finale -- "That Hope is You Part 2" -- 1/7/21

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-21, 03:44 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,819 Likes on 1,132 Posts
Re: Star Trek: Discovery (S3E13) -- Season Finale -- "That Hope is You Part 2" -- 1/7/21

Wow what the fuck show are you watchin'? You must have special subtitles on that give a whole different narrative.
The following users liked this post:
Bandoman (01-14-21)
Old 01-13-21, 07:11 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 68 Likes on 58 Posts
Re: Star Trek: Discovery (S3E13) -- Season Finale -- "That Hope is You Part 2" -- 1/7/21

They kind of fucked up on the "made sense once you got there" part.
Old 01-13-21, 08:41 PM
Admin

Received 466 Likes on 306 Posts

Michael has her moments. The battle to get back the ship was solid. I think Tilly and the doctor show more leadership than Michael at times. It still bugs me how emotional she is for someone who lived on Vulcan for so long. It's not a woman thing, it's a Star Trek universe thing. I think Book is a cool character. I didn't have a big problem with him manipulating the spore drive. Some of the special effects like the warp core detonation and the lift chase scenes looked really cool. It might have hit home as an episode if we lost one of the good guys. We didn't even lose the robot who saved the day. He got rebuilt. Michael just doesn't seem like a captain. I think Tilly is more balanced and suited for the role, but she just gave it up so easily. Someone was complaining about Detmer, but I think she's kind of cool actually. The crew that broke out and tried to save the ship was pretty bad ass. This is not the best Star Trek because of the plot and writing, but it's good enough to keep watching.
Old 01-13-21, 09:00 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 165 Likes on 118 Posts

I think I'm finally done. This season had its moments (mostly anything NOT involving Michael) but the logic holes and the show's continuing insistence on bludgeoning us to care for the characters that outside of one of two they haven't even developed in the past three seasons are just doing me in. Please remind me how many times the crew in TNG weepily said "I love you all" before facing certain death dozens of times? Never, because it doesn't really fit with the whole vibe. Michael being promoted to Captain despite her constant failing upwards was kind of the last straw for me. Whenever S4 comes out unless reviews indicate a massive change in approach I'm out.
Old 01-15-21, 07:06 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 917 Likes on 677 Posts

Did I hear the Admiral mention Voyager during the battle?
Thos19 (04-06-21)
Old 01-15-21, 12:13 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,101 Likes on 797 Posts

Originally Posted by Noonan
Yeah, but they use those names over and over on new ships.
Old 01-15-21, 12:22 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I think at this point I'd prefer a show which is just Book and his Queen going off on adventures every week. Doesn't seem like he'll be leaving the main cast anytime soon though.
Old 01-15-21, 12:39 PM
TGM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 401 Likes on 250 Posts

i cannot wait for Captain Pike to save us
Old 01-15-21, 01:50 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,410 Likes on 1,033 Posts

Originally Posted by Noonan
Yes, NCC-74656-J

There was also the USS Nog, Eisenberg class, in honor of Aaron Eisenberg (Rom on DS9) and I think there was a Le Guin for Ursula K.

Old 01-15-21, 03:16 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

milo bloom (01-15-21)
Old 01-15-21, 05:38 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I think Howard Roark would like to have a stern conversation with the head of Starfleet ship design.
Old 01-16-21, 11:57 AM

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

Not a terrible show, and somewhat entertaining despite the main character that keeps getting shoved down our throats. I'll admit I only watch it because of nostalgia of past star trek shows.
Pike and the eventual Georgio spinoffs can't come soon enough.
Old 01-16-21, 06:36 PM
Banned

Received 376 Likes on 295 Posts

I just watched the finale- didn’t Michael have a limp from a stab wound? She was running all over the place and jumping between turbo lifts, and I was all

Was ok but quite a lot of it didn’t make sense to me. Why didn’t Gray show up in the Discovery’s holo if he appeared in the crashed ship’s one?

Old 01-17-21, 11:09 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Eric F
I just watched the finale- didn’t Michael have a limp from a stab wound? She was running all over the place and jumping between turbo lifts, and I was all

Was ok but quite a lot of it didn’t make sense to me. Why didn’t Gray show up in the Discovery’s holo if he appeared in the crashed ship’s one?
The crashed ship holo system had been designed to work with the orphaned Su’Kal to keep him company and educate him. It had apparently grown beyond its programming and took on telepathic abilities (apparently the same telepathic abilities that broadcast Su’Kal’s grief outward to create The Burn). It felt Adira’s mental lock on Gray and decided that personality was important enough to create an avatar for.
Giantrobo (01-18-21)
Old 01-17-21, 11:27 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by milo bloom
The crashed ship holo system had been designed to work with the orphaned Su’Kal to keep him company and educate him. It had apparently grown beyond its programming and took on telepathic abilities (apparently the same telepathic abilities that broadcast Su’Kal’s grief outward to create The Burn). It felt Adira’s mental lock on Gray and decided that personality was important enough to create an avatar for.
Ok. Technology took on telepathic abilities. Makes sense to me.
Old 01-17-21, 11:53 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Eric F
Ok. Technology took on telepathic abilities. Makes sense to me.
And some people were complaining that tech had not developed enough in 1000 years!
Old 01-17-21, 05:28 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Count Dooku
And some people were complaining that tech had not developed enough in 1000 years!
Well, now that I think about it, wasn't one of the androids in Picard able to perform a Vulcan mind-meld or something? (which I also thought was pretty stupid at the time)
Old 01-17-21, 09:56 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I guess the implication is that telepathy is just another form of energy change and once you can identify and isolate it, you can make technology that can read it and adapt to it.

Keep in mind that Star Trek’s universal translator (going all the way back to TOS) was said to read brain waves to help understand context. After that, holo-technology that can read brain waves to creat characters isn’t that much further along.

And if I can sidetrack yet another thread with The Black Hole, that movie also featured a robot that could communicate with a telepathic human. So it’s not like it’s a new idea in science fiction.
Old 01-18-21, 01:02 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

I think Howard Roark would like to have a stern conversation with the head of Starfleet ship design.

I saw someone say Apple designed the ships. When I heard that I figured Floating Nacelles are the AirPods of Star Fleet.
Old 01-18-21, 01:05 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by Kennyx
Not a terrible show, and somewhat entertaining despite the main character that keeps getting shoved down our throats. I'll admit I only watch it because of nostalgia of past star trek shows.
Pike and the eventual Georgio spinoffs can't come soon enough.

Sigh...the show was always pushed with Michael being the star and focus. Get over it.
Old 01-18-21, 01:15 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Giantrobo
Sigh...the show was always pushed with Michael being the star and focus. Get over it.
I assume it's just jarring to some fans, not having the captain (until now) be the "main" character.
Old 01-18-21, 04:07 PM
DVD Talk Legend

We've known from the start that Michael was intended to be the star and the main character, and hell, even when I would write-up fanfic scenarios for new Trek shows in my head, I had the idea to focus on the First Officer and watch them rise to captain. so it never felt like a crazy concept to me.

The problem is that Michael isn't that great of a character. Her concept is neat and could have been something really special, but with Fuller abandoning the show so early, I think the rest of the showrunners have struggled with how to make her journey a credible one.
If they had done a better job of using the characters around her to bounce off of her and see how she grows, it would have been better, plus we would have gotten more development of the bridge crew like Detmer and Owo. It was especially annoying to have Airiam given all her character development in the episode she died in. It was a pretty good story, but didn't hit as hard since we barely knew who she was from the previous season.
Old 01-18-21, 04:33 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by milo bloom
We've known from the start that Michael was intended to be the star and the main character, and hell, even when I would write-up fanfic scenarios for new Trek shows in my head, I had the idea to focus on the First Officer and watch them rise to captain. so it never felt like a crazy concept to me.

Old 01-19-21, 12:09 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 961 Likes on 668 Posts

I am not opposed to hugs or crying or any demonstrations of emotion, but I don't think the show has done anything to earn them and have them work as meaningful.

By design, DISC sets itself up to tell serialized narratives and juggles multiple storylines, such that the episodes are very plot heavy.
Also, the show is very, very action heavy with almost each individual episode presenting a existential threat to the ship/Federation/galaxy that must be overcome.
As a result, DISC has never taken the time (again by design) to spend episodes on characterization.

It was a great delight (to me) when they paired Tig Notaro and Anthony Rapp for scenes. There characters have personalities and their scenes play as if they have a real relationship that goes beyond plot-necessary interactions.

So this season, the show kept asking us to have some investment in the bridge crew. I don't have any idea who any of these people are. I know who Detmer is because they decided to say her name over and over again in multiple episodes, and there was a lot of concern about her health --and that never went anywhere. But other than that, I just know her as the pilot with implants on her head. And even though I have watched every episode of the show (and have a decent memory) I have no recollection of how she got those implants. I don't know the name of the Black female Ops officer, and it appears that she and Detmer are close friends because they sit next to each other all the time.

The point is when DISC wants to push big emotional moments on me, it never works because I don't know any of these people as characters, so they all might as well be glorified extras emoting all over the place, and who gives a shit about that.
THIS. So much this. I'm really not hate watching STD but they sure aren't making it easy. Point is that I WANT to get to know the bridge crew but there has been zero character development for them. I have no idea who any of them are and some of them have been on the bridge since the Shenzhou. (That how the pilot with the implants got her implants). Instead we got a ten minute sequence of a ridiculous look at what the turbolifts look like on the inside. Seriously that was so ridiculous. Why would they even design it with so much space to have them zipping along like that. You can tell they are taking the total opposite theory in design from previous Star Trek series. Everything used to be designed with a purpose either to utility, culture, or technology. Now it's like, "hey lets remove the nacelles from the ship." Why? "Because it looks so cool bro!"
Old 01-19-21, 12:17 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 961 Likes on 668 Posts

Originally Posted by Giantrobo

OMG WTF are those abominations? They're not even completed. Just basic shapes.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.