Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

Star Trek: Discovery (S3E13) -- Season Finale -- "That Hope is You Part 2" -- 1/7/21

Community
Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Star Trek: Discovery (S3E13) -- Season Finale -- "That Hope is You Part 2" -- 1/7/21

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-21, 01:14 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,640 Likes on 2,613 Posts

THAT HOPE IS YOU, PART 2 — Season finale. As the Emerald Chain tightens its grip and the mystery of the Burn is finally solved, Burnham and the crew have one last chance to save themselves – and the Federation.

Written by Michelle Paradise. Directed by Olatunde Osunsanmi.

This was renewed for a 4th season and they have already begun production. No ETA yet when it will air.
Old 01-07-21, 10:31 AM
Enormous Genitals

Location: a small cottage on a cul de sac in the lower pits of hell.
Received 583 Likes on 335 Posts
Re: Star Trek: Discovery (S3E13) -- Season Finale -- "That Hope is You Part 2" -- 1/7/21

I know there are many who don't like this show, or elements of it, but I thought this was fantastic. I got all emotional.

Spoiler:

"She is a Queen!"

Lt. Sahil!

Capt. Burnham! I know many don't like her, but I was choked up at the end anyway.
Old 01-07-21, 02:02 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Re: Star Trek: Discovery (S3E13) -- Season Finale -- "That Hope is You Part 2" -- 1/7/21

I was the opposite. Rolling my eyes again and again. When in a group, the round robin dialog was painful. When did Discovery become the Tardis .... bigger on the inside. The size relationship between the bridge and the ship disappears when they use a lift. Too much fantasy and not enough science.
Spoiler:
Don't risk the lives of your primary characters unless you are prepared to kill them off.
... And they all lived happily every after.

Old 01-07-21, 02:41 PM
Enormous Genitals

I did think
Spoiler:
they were going to kill off Owokesun
Old 01-07-21, 04:02 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 34 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by Ayre
I was the opposite. Rolling my eyes again and again. When in a group, the round robin dialog was painful. When did Discovery become the Tardis .... bigger on the inside. The size relationship between the bridge and the ship disappears when they use a lift. Too much fantasy and not enough scienc
Even though I liked the epsiode overall that was the on thing that didn't make any sense. Is this the Tardis now? The lift area made zero since.
Old 01-07-21, 04:23 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,366 Likes on 928 Posts

It was ok. Nothing spectacular about it. Hopefully they come up with some better plots/villains for next season.
Old 01-07-21, 04:34 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 34 Likes on 30 Posts

Still, on the fence about no one figuring out what caused the burn in 130 years yet when Discovery arrives, they not only figure it out in a few weeks they also find a huge supply of dilithium to likely last a very long time (I bet it's thousands of years worth if it's an entire planet) They have to have something to do. It's fine just a little odd.
Old 01-08-21, 12:44 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,815 Likes on 1,131 Posts

Originally Posted by Bandoman
I know there are many who don't like this show, or elements of it, but I thought this was fantastic. I got all emotional.

Spoiler:

"She is a Queen!"

Lt. Sahil!

Capt. Burnham! I know many don't like her, but I was choked up at the end anyway.

Agree 100%. Awesome ep. Lotsa feels and fun. I'm in more positive Disco groups and listening to Disco podcasts and people loved it.
The following users liked this post:
Bandoman (01-08-21)
Old 01-08-21, 01:27 PM
Enormous Genitals

Which podcasts do you listen to, Robo?
Old 01-08-21, 03:28 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Which podcasts do you listen to, Robo?
Star Trek Discovery Pod

Star Trek Discovery Podcast Featuring Picard and Lower Decks
Old 01-08-21, 04:25 PM
TGM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 401 Likes on 250 Posts

such a god damned mess.

so is Saru done or what?
Old 01-09-21, 12:55 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 100 Likes on 80 Posts

Wow, that was like seriously painful to watch. One of the worst episodes of Start Trek and maybe the worst episode of Discovery. I just think I will skip it in the future "The Adventures of Polyanna Burnham the most important person in the galaxy" is just nor for me. Maybe my least favorite character in all of television. I want to claw my eyes out every time she does the crying thing. At least we have the Pike Star Trek to hopefully save the day.

Also this show has zero balls. Zero.
Old 01-09-21, 10:20 AM
TGM
DVD Talk Legend

It is 3 seasons in and I feel like I don't know any of the bridge crew at all, and don't really care to get to know them.

Chubby Redhead was a cute little novelty piece until they made her more of a main character.

Stamets might be a reason to watch in the future especially if he hates Burnham but he went from a whiney bitch, the tolerable, back to a whiney bitch again.

I like the doctor.

I also like the real life story of the actor in the floating wheelchair. I suspect he'll be added to the crew. He has ALS in real life.

I like that they finally updated the uniforms although I hate the look of them.

The inner workings of the turbolift was beyond mind boggling terrible. Reminded me of that awful sequence in the droid factory in Attack of the Clones.

Burnham sucks.
Old 01-09-21, 11:13 AM

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

I thought "The Burn" was badly done. It could have been interesting but to find out it was caused by a child getting angry, a child that had somehow become genetically modified to react to sub-space. Then at the end it is revealed that Booker can somehow emulate the species DNA so he can use the spoor drive. I know it is fiction but they could at least keep it somewhat plausible.. Also, can they go ten minutes without people hugging everyone?
Old 01-09-21, 12:49 PM
TGM
DVD Talk Legend

and is there any more of a "woke" show on TV than this?

I mean, OK, diversity, I get it but...it's so in your face, it should be turned into a drinking game.
Thos19 (04-06-21)
Old 01-09-21, 01:30 PM
Premium Member

Received 700 Likes on 466 Posts

Originally Posted by TGM
and is there any more of a "woke" show on TV than this?
Supergirl is on par if not higher.
Deftones (01-09-21)
Old 01-09-21, 02:25 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,101 Likes on 797 Posts

^ Discovery is a caffeine buzz. Supergirl is a cocaine binge.
Kdogg (01-09-21)
Old 01-09-21, 05:08 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by marka351
I thought "The Burn" was badly done. It could have been interesting but to find out it was caused by a child getting angry, a child that had somehow become genetically modified to react to sub-space. Then at the end it is revealed that Booker can somehow emulate the species DNA so he can use the spoor drive. I know it is fiction but they could at least keep it somewhat plausible.. Also, can they go ten minutes without people hugging everyone?
I thought it was because Book is an empath with a connection to nature he is able to communicate with the spore drive. Book spoke to the systsm like him and his brother did on their planet.

Its dna that helps Stametts.

And why do you guys care that there are hugs on this show? Its a great part of this show in that it shows that this is a family that cares about each other. I guess trekkies just want gadgets and pew pew pew....

Last edited by Giantrobo; 01-09-21 at 05:14 PM.
Old 01-09-21, 06:23 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,101 Likes on 797 Posts

Originally Posted by Giantrobo
And why do you guys care that there are hugs on this show? Its a great part of this show in that it shows that this is a family that cares about each other. I guess trekkies just want gadgets and pew pew pew....
I am not opposed to hugs or crying or any demonstrations of emotion, but I don't think the show has done anything to earn them and have them work as meaningful.

By design, DISC sets itself up to tell serialized narratives and juggles multiple storylines, such that the episodes are very plot heavy.
Also, the show is very, very action heavy with almost each individual episode presenting a existential threat to the ship/Federation/galaxy that must be overcome.
As a result, DISC has never taken the time (again by design) to spend episodes on characterization.

It was a great delight (to me) when they paired Tig Notaro and Anthony Rapp for scenes. There characters have personalities and their scenes play as if they have a real relationship that goes beyond plot-necessary interactions.

So this season, the show kept asking us to have some investment in the bridge crew. I don't have any idea who any of these people are. I know who Detmer is because they decided to say her name over and over again in multiple episodes, and there was a lot of concern about her health --and that never went anywhere. But other than that, I just know her as the pilot with implants on her head. And even though I have watched every episode of the show (and have a decent memory) I have no recollection of how she got those implants. I don't know the name of the Black female Ops officer, and it appears that she and Detmer are close friends because they sit next to each other all the time.

The point is when DISC wants to push big emotional moments on me, it never works because I don't know any of these people as characters, so they all might as well be glorified extras emoting all over the place, and who gives a shit about that.
tanman (01-19-21)
Old 01-09-21, 08:17 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,410 Likes on 1,033 Posts

Finally watched, an entertaining end to the story, if not completely logical or well planned out. I don’t hate the idea that Sa’Kul caused the burn because he was genetically in sync with the dilithium and his grief caused The Burn, it just feels more like a nuWho plot. I can’t help but think that maybe a little more technobabble explaining it all could have helped me be more engaged.

And I wasn’t surprised at all to see Michael given the center seat. Bryan Fuller started her out as First Officer and I think it’s clear he meant for her to be put through the meat grinder on the way to the center seat.

As for the bridge crew, seeing them get to be a strike team trying to retake the ship was actually pretty fun and a good bit of character building.

And I have to admit to feeling a hitch in my throat when Gray realized he wouldn’t be seen anymore. I look forward to him and Adria being explored more. But I was expecting that lullaby to play a part in the resolution.
Old 01-10-21, 01:45 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

It was worth it to see Sahil meeting with Vance.
The following 3 users liked this post by Giantrobo:
Bandoman (01-11-21), lisadoris (01-10-21), milo bloom (01-10-21)
Old 01-11-21, 07:48 AM
Enormous Genitals

I get the criticism, but I get the feeling that if TOS came out for the first time today (with updated SFX, of course) people would hate Kirk.

My only complaint was that Space Elphaba wasn't a great baddie.
Old 01-11-21, 01:10 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

I get the criticism, but I get the feeling that if TOS came out for the first time today (with updated SFX, of course) people would hate Kirk.

My only complaint was that Space Elphaba wasn't a great baddie.
I though she turned out to be a good baddie with some interesting layers. But I can see where most didn't like her.

Old 01-11-21, 02:17 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,410 Likes on 1,033 Posts

This season's plot was partially inspired by a le Guin story

https://trekmovie.com/2021/01/10/an-...very-season-3/

n the early conversations, the [Ursula K. Le Guin] short story [The Ones Who Walk Away from Omelas] came up, which is a very famous science fiction story. And at the heart of that story is a child, which is centered around a village. It’s not exactly a one-to-one analogy, because our story is different. But it was an inspiration. When we got the idea that this was actually all caused by a child. I think that came out of the instinct that we wanted the answer to be something you didn’t see coming or didn’t expect, but made sense once you got there. In order for that to work, you have to know where you’re going and you have to plant flags along the way that the audience is either consciously or unconsciously taking in, so that when you get to that reveal, you realize, ‘Oh, it all added up to something.

We knew that there was going to be a dreamworld. We knew that it was his own version of The Matrix. We didn’t know exactly what it would look like, and it took a full season to actualize it and the rules and the logic for it. But we knew from the beginning that that’s where we wanted to go.
That helps, a little, but le Guin is not starships and phasers and green women kind of science fiction. She has written some wonderful works, of course, but would not be the first person I think of to inspire a Trek story.
Old 01-13-21, 02:11 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 100 Likes on 80 Posts

Originally Posted by milo bloom
This season's plot was partially inspired by a le Guin story

https://trekmovie.com/2021/01/10/an-...very-season-3/

That helps, a little, but le Guin is not starships and phasers and green women kind of science fiction. She has written some wonderful works, of course, but would not be the first person I think of to inspire a Trek story.
Lol, the entire concept is dumb, and didn't make sense when we get to it. Seriously, sometimes I do think studios need to step in. These season was beyond abysmal and such a wasted opportunity. More than that though it was incredibly SAFE. The federation didnt turn evil or disappear, no its just hiding, which seems like no one notices because all their stuff is antique, but the Federation still has a bunch of planets under it's banner, Seriously?

Let;s make a Kelpian !! And he'll create the burn because he's sad and frightened!!...seriously wtf?

Let's make Burnham even less likeable, more narcisistic, more of a polyanna, and let's make sure the crew loves her even more despite her showing she does not in reality give one fuck about them other than as a tool to whatever agenda she has and has never once even show a bit of leadership just an incredible insistence on going solo and rogue.

My god this season sucked.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.