DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   TV Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk-14/)
-   -   SNL 10/17/20 (S46E03) -- H: Issa Rae, MG: Justin Bieber (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk/651564-snl-10-17-20-s46e03-h-issa-rae-mg-justin-bieber.html)

Goldberg74 10-17-20 04:27 PM

SNL 10/17/20 (S46E03) -- H: Issa Rae, MG: Justin Bieber
 
Issa Rae is hosting and Bieber is popping in again.



Season 46 (2020-2021)

GoldenJCJ 10-17-20 09:47 PM

Re: SNL 10/17/20 (S46E03) -- H: Issa Rae, MG: Justin Bieber
 
Itís usually the musical guest that Iíve never heard of. Now itís the host.

Coral 10-17-20 09:57 PM

Re: SNL 10/17/20 (S46E03) -- H: Issa Rae, MG: Justin Bieber
 

Originally Posted by GoldenJCJ (Post 13825518)
Itís usually the musical guest that Iíve never heard of. Now itís the host.

Yeah... 99% of the time I've heard of the host, and probably only 70% of the time for musical guest.
Never heard of this host and I'd like to forget the musical guest.

DJariya 10-17-20 10:14 PM

Re: SNL 10/17/20 (S46E03) -- H: Issa Rae, MG: Justin Bieber
 

Originally Posted by GoldenJCJ (Post 13825518)
It’s usually the musical guest that I’ve never heard of. Now it’s the host.

She has a series on HBO called Insecure, which no one watches here, that’s been on 4 seasons and is fairly popular. And she was on The Lovebirds on Netflix. And she was on a lot of the NBA playoff advertising.

I’m not saying she’s so popular and you’re out of the loop. :lol: but she has slowly emerged in the last 4 years and is getting bigger roles and more notoriety.

GoldenJCJ 10-17-20 11:56 PM

Re: SNL 10/17/20 (S46E03) -- H: Issa Rae, MG: Justin Bieber
 
^ Yeah, I looked her up on IMDB when I first opened this thread. Literally the only thing Iíve seen her in is the 2 minute trailer for Lovebirds. :lol:

Decker 10-18-20 12:50 AM

Re: SNL 10/17/20 (S46E03) -- H: Issa Rae, MG: Justin Bieber
 
That wasn't great.

I guess I kind of liked the 80s cocaine wife bit maybe?

Paff 10-18-20 01:38 AM

Re: SNL 10/17/20 (S46E03) -- H: Issa Rae, MG: Justin Bieber
 
Hey! A Melissa Villasenor sighting!

Decker 10-18-20 01:52 AM

Re: SNL 10/17/20 (S46E03) -- H: Issa Rae, MG: Justin Bieber
 

Originally Posted by Paff (Post 13825591)
Hey! A Melissa Villasenor sighting!

One line of dialogue! :lol:

JeffTheAlpaca 10-18-20 05:56 AM

Re: SNL 10/17/20 (S46E03) -- H: Issa Rae, MG: Justin Bieber
 
Maybe she knew if she skipped this season she could have been fired or replaced,

Guess no new episode next week?

It seems the show before a break or the 3rd consecutive show are usually the weakest when it comes to laughs.

Red Dog 10-18-20 07:55 AM

Re: SNL 10/17/20 (S46E03) -- H: Issa Rae, MG: Justin Bieber
 

Originally Posted by GoldenJCJ (Post 13825518)
Itís usually the musical guest that Iíve never heard of. Now itís the host.

Same here.

Terrible episode.

Decker 10-18-20 08:56 AM

Re: SNL 10/17/20 (S46E03) -- H: Issa Rae, MG: Justin Bieber
 
I mean sheís on a well-received prestige HBO Comedy series and was nominated for both Best Comedy Series and Best Actress in a Comedy Series Emmys last month. And she starred in a pretty good theatrical Rom-Com that ended up on Netflix due to the pandemic. Sheís hardly an unknown.

Coral 10-18-20 10:44 AM

Re: SNL 10/17/20 (S46E03) -- H: Issa Rae, MG: Justin Bieber
 
Meh episode.

I thought the host did well. She had a decent monologue and I don't know if she wrote it, but her delivery of the jokes was good. Good in some skits as well.

Cecily Strong nowhere to be found.

Josh-da-man 10-18-20 11:04 AM

Re: SNL 10/17/20 (S46E03) -- H: Issa Rae, MG: Justin Bieber
 
Michael Che is probably going to get fired for that "NBC: We have a type" joke. :lol:


https://cimg3.ibsrv.net/gimg/dvdtalk...ca99653a30.jpg



cultshock 10-18-20 11:15 AM

Re: SNL 10/17/20 (S46E03) -- H: Issa Rae, MG: Justin Bieber
 
That was pretty funny. :lol: Unfortunately most of the show was kind of bleh IMO.


kefrank 10-18-20 11:28 AM

Re: SNL 10/17/20 (S46E03) -- H: Issa Rae, MG: Justin Bieber
 

Originally Posted by Decker (Post 13825627)
I mean sheís on a well-received prestige HBO Comedy series and was nominated for both Best Comedy Series and Best Actress in a Comedy Series Emmys last month. And she starred in a pretty good theatrical Rom-Com that ended up on Netflix due to the pandemic. Sheís hardly an unknown.

I don't think anyone was saying she's an unknown - just that they didn't know who she was. These days, popular entertainment is so fragmented across various subscription services that it's not uncommon for something that is popular by the numbers to be completely missed by a whole segment of people who don't happen to subscribe to the right service. Gone are the days of all the "known" entertainers being from a handful of broadcast networks that everyone gets.

Coral 10-18-20 11:38 AM

Re: SNL 10/17/20 (S46E03) -- H: Issa Rae, MG: Justin Bieber
 
BTW, Mikey Day's Trump Jr. look needs an update.... he's had a beard for the last 2 years.

The Questyen 10-18-20 12:25 PM

Re: SNL 10/17/20 (S46E03) -- H: Issa Rae, MG: Justin Bieber
 

Originally Posted by Coral (Post 13825655)
Meh episode.

I thought the host did well. She had a decent monologue and I don't know if she wrote it, but her delivery of the jokes was good. Good in some skits as well.

Cecily Strong nowhere to be found.

I wonder how many times on these forums you've questioned whether a male host wrote their own monologue.

windom 10-18-20 01:30 PM

Re: SNL 10/17/20 (S46E03) -- H: Issa Rae, MG: Justin Bieber
 

Originally Posted by JeffTheAlpaca (Post 13825609)
Guess no new episode next week?

Adele Adkins is hosting with musical guest H.E.R.

dex14 10-18-20 02:28 PM

Re: SNL 10/17/20 (S46E03) -- H: Issa Rae, MG: Justin Bieber
 
:lol: Adding her last name is confusing. Just Adele.

Coral 10-18-20 06:34 PM

Re: SNL 10/17/20 (S46E03) -- H: Issa Rae, MG: Justin Bieber
 

Originally Posted by The Questyen (Post 13825704)
I wonder how many times on these forums you've questioned whether a male host wrote their own monologue.

Not sure... you'd have to do a search. I know I wondered to myself many times if the non-comedian host wrote their own monologue.... especially if it's somewhat funny... because, ya know, they're not comedians. I think you're barking up the wrong tree here and I don't appreciate your insinuation.

Red Dog 10-18-20 06:51 PM

Re: SNL 10/17/20 (S46E03) -- H: Issa Rae, MG: Justin Bieber
 

Originally Posted by kefrank (Post 13825676)
I don't think anyone was saying she's an unknown - just that they didn't know who she was. These days, popular entertainment is so fragmented across various subscription services that it's not uncommon for something that is popular by the numbers to be completely missed by a whole segment of people who don't happen to subscribe to the right service. Gone are the days of all the "known" entertainers being from a handful of broadcast networks that everyone gets.

Well said.

I assume she is known to some degree - otherwise she wouldn't be hosting SNL.

I was simply saying I had no idea who she is, which is irrefutable. I don't watch every single show on HBO (I don't even have HBO) nor do I follow the Emmys.

kefrank 10-18-20 07:16 PM

Re: SNL 10/17/20 (S46E03) -- H: Issa Rae, MG: Justin Bieber
 

Originally Posted by Coral (Post 13825854)
Not sure... you'd have to do a search. I know I wondered to myself many times if the non-comedian host wrote their own monologue.... especially if it's somewhat funny... because, ya know, they're not comedians. I think you're barking up the wrong tree here and I don't appreciate your insinuation.

To be fair though, Issa Rae is a comedic actress and writer who basically made her way into the entertainment industry with her own original content on Youtube. I have no idea if she wrote her monologue and I'm not joining in any particular insinuation, but given who she is, my default assumption would be that she wrote it herself or at least did so collaboratively.

JeffTheAlpaca 10-18-20 07:25 PM

Re: SNL 10/17/20 (S46E03) -- H: Issa Rae, MG: Justin Bieber
 
I guess they will take a break the following week since it is Halloween.

I will have extra time to catch up on my shows with the extra hour from switching back to standard time :)

dex14 10-18-20 07:48 PM

Re: SNL 10/17/20 (S46E03) -- H: Issa Rae, MG: Justin Bieber
 

Originally Posted by JeffTheAlpaca (Post 13825875)
I guess they will take a break the following week since it is Halloween.

I will have extra time to catch up on my shows with the extra hour from switching back to standard time :)

You continuously seem to miss the OP which lists that there will be episodes the next two weeks.

Goldberg74 10-18-20 08:05 PM

Re: SNL 10/17/20 (S46E03) -- H: Issa Rae, MG: Justin Bieber
 

Originally Posted by dex14 (Post 13825883)
You continuously seem to miss the OP which lists that there will be episodes the next two weeks.

Yup, several sources slate an ep for 10/31.

How much worse will 2020 be if there isnít a sketch with David S. Pumpkins in it?!?!!

The Halloween show is always a highlight for me.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:27 AM.


Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.