Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

Lovecraft Country (HBO) -- From EP Jordan Peele and J.J. Abrams -- Premieres 8/16/20

Community
Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Lovecraft Country (HBO) -- From EP Jordan Peele and J.J. Abrams -- Premieres 8/16/20

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-20, 01:58 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 259 Likes on 152 Posts
Re: Lovecraft Country (HBO) -- From EP Jordan Peele and J.J. Abrams -- Premieres 8/16/20

I thought it was pretty good so far. The book had an unusual format in that the story was told as 4 or 5 short stories or novellas that were connected and continued the overarching story. Each story had a different main character, but it was all characters we’ve seen already in this first episode. Anyway, this episode only covered a portion of the first story so I’m not sure where the other poster further up is getting that this has already adapted a lot of the book. There’s a lot of story left, but I have to wonder if it’ll really tell these stories from the other character’s POVs (if they’re all told at all) or if they get reworked to include more of Atticus in each one.
Old 08-21-20, 04:54 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 144 Likes on 99 Posts
Re: Lovecraft Country (HBO) -- From EP Jordan Peele and J.J. Abrams -- Premieres 8/16/20

Originally Posted by GoldenJCJ
I’m also ashamed to admit that up until the movie that was released a couple years ago I didn’t know anything about green books and up until this first episode of LC, I had never heard of “sundown towns/counties”.
James Loewen wrote a book on Sundown Towns that fairly comprehensive. I recommend it.
Old 08-21-20, 02:07 PM

Received 100 Likes on 80 Posts

Originally Posted by lisadoris
James Loewen wrote a book on Sundown Towns that fairly comprehensive. I recommend it.
When the Watchmen aired, I thought the Oklahoma massacre was incredibly over the top and unbelievable, but then I googled it

Then in this show, I googled Sundown towns and the Green book and was far less surprised to find it real too.

Gives one some perspective about how deeply racism is embedded and how whitewashed history is. I do not want to see it in every show I watch but to be honest I am glad it was included in these shows to wake me up a bit.
Old 08-21-20, 06:05 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,742 Likes on 1,889 Posts

Originally Posted by Paff

But yeah, I've seen the racism in some stories, no doubt. You take a great story like The Rats in the Walls. Pretty scary, moody, and atmospheric. But seriously, Howie, did you have to name the black cat.....well, I'm sure you can guess. Could have named it "Midnight", or "Shadow", but no, he went with....that.
I sort of remember reading that, when he was a child, he had a black cat named "****** Man," and that's where the cat's name in the story came from.

Most of Lovecraft's most virulent racism is in his letters; he was a prolific letter-writer.

His racism was of a brand that he basically considered any person not descended from England or Northern Europe to be subhuman. He had little use for Jews, Russians, or Italians, considering them to be racially inferior.

He was, for a time, married to a woman who was a Russian Jew, though he justified this by believing that, by marrying him, she elevated her status above the "mongrel" that she was.

A sampling of Lovecraft's views on race and ethnicity... (Spoilered for length.)

Spoiler:

It is an ironical truth, that those foreigners who most desire to become thorough Americans, are generally those who are least fitted for amalgamation out of reverence to his vaterland; but the greasy Jew from Russia impudently assumes a pseudo-Americanism to which his race does not entitle him. In considering matters of this sort, the student must free himself from tons of sticky sentimentalism about “broad humanitarian ideals”, “America the land of equality”, “down with the race prejudice”, and other nonsense of like tenor. The question is; do Americans desire to remain a vigorous, clean moraled Teutonic-Celtic people; or do they desire to transform their country into a sordid, amorphous chaos of degradation and hybridism like imperial Rome? Jews, Italians, Slavs and their like must somehow be segregated or gotten rid of before they rise to taint the better classes. ––from a letter written October, 1916.

A Jew is capable of infinite nastiness when he seeks revenge, & I believe I shall have ample grounds for making [Isaacson] the hero of a spirited Dunciad. I can almost predict his line of attack. He will call me superficial, crude, barbaric in thought, imperfect in education, offensively arrogant & bigoted, filled with venomous prejudice, wanting in good taste, &c. &c. &c. But what I can and will say in reply is also violent & comprehensive. He will ask why I am an advocate of war, yet am not at this moment in the British army. I shall not stoop to explain that I am an invalid who would certainly be fighting under the Union Jack if able, but shall have plenty to say about the decadent cowardice responsible for the propagation of peace ideas. Peace is the ideal of a dying nation; a broken race. Isaacson belongs to a stock wholly broken & emasculated by two thousand years of cringing at the feet of Aryan masters. But I, thank the Gods, am an Aryan, & can rejoice in the glorious victory of T. Flavius Vespasianus, under whose legions the Jewish race & their capital were trodden out of national existence! I am an anti-Semitic by nature, but thought I had concealed my prejudice in my remarks concerning Isaacson. I showed him every consideration in my article, carefully saying that I attacked not the man, but the ideas. However, if Jerusalem wishes to start trouble, he will find in me a new Titus, eager to inscribe on my eagles the triumphant legend IVDAEA CAPTA! I might here remark that my anti-Semitism is not entirely due to blind prejudice. The Jews are fundamentally Orientals, whilst the rising civilization of the world is Western—Teutonic—Anglo-Saxon. The struggle between the East & the West dates back to Marathon & Salamis, & it is the West which has ever represented progress & superior culture. The Jew is an adverse influence, since he insidiously degrades or Orientalizes our robust Aryan civilization. The intellect of the race is indisputably great, but its nature is not such that it may be safely employed in forming Western political & social ideas. Oppressive as it seems, the Jew must be muzzled. ––from a letter written August 10, 1915.
In 1903-4 I had private tutors, but in the autumn of 1904 I mingled with the world once more—to the extent of entering Hope St. High School. Here I was confronted for the first time with cosmopolitanism. Slater Avenue school is public, but it is rather a neighborhood affair, with most of its pupils drawn from the old families. But Hope Street is near enough to the “North End” to have a considerable Jewish attendance. It was there that I formed my ineradicable aversion to the Semitic race. The Jews were brilliant in their classes—calculatingly & schemingly brilliant—but their ideals were sordid & their manners course. I became rather well known as anti-Semitic before I had been at Hope Street many days. ––from a letter written November 16, 1915.
It is a mistake to allow Jews to mingle with Aryans as social equals. I have never been forced to do this, & at high school I drew the colour line at Jews as well as negroes, though of course there is no racial comparison between the two classes of undesirables. ––from a letter written November 25, 1915
It is difficult to be patient with the political idiots who advocate the relinquishment of [the Phillipines] by the United States, either now or at any future time. The mongrel natives, in whose blood the Malay strain predominates, are not and will never be racially capable of maintaining a civilised condition by themselves. ––From an article in the United Amateur, June 1916
The whole U.S. negro question is very simple. (1) Certainly the negro is vastly the biological inferior of the Caucasian. (2) Therefore if racial amalgamation were to occur, the net level of American civilisation would perceptibly fall, as in such mongrel nations as Mexico–& several South American near-republics. (3) Amalgamation would undoubtedly take place if prejudice were eradicated, beginning with the lowest grades of Jews & Italians & eventually working upward until the whole country would be poisoned, & its culture & progress stunted. (4) Therefore the much-abused “colour line” is a self-protective measure of the white American people to keep the blood of their descendants pure, & the institutions & greatness of their country unimpaired. The colour line must be maintained in spite of the ranting & preaching of fanatical & ill-informed philanthropists. ––from a letter written January 18, 1919.
The genius of a few individuals is never an index of collective racial capacity. In spite of all the Booker Washingtons & Dunbars we can see that the negro as a whole has never made any progress or founded any culture. We cannot judge a man sociologically by his own individual qualities; we have the future to think of. Two persons of different races, though equal mentally & physically, may have a vitally different sociological value, because one will certainly produce an incalculably better type of descendants than the other. We must see that the best retain social & political supremacy, in order that our best traditions may be preserved. Therefore, to me, racial prejudice is not irrational or unexplainable; nor in any way unjustifiable. It has awkward phases, but its benefits immeasurably outweigh its disadvantages.
I certainly hope to see promiscuous immigration permanently curtailed soon—Heaven knows enough harm has already been done by the admission of limitless hordes of the ignorant, superstitious, & biologically inferior scum of Southern Europe & Western Asia. ––from a letter written Demember 13, 1925.
Now the trickiest catch in the negro problem is that it is really twofold. The black is vastly inferior. There can be no question of this among contemporary and unsentimental biologists—eminent Europeans for whom the prejudice-problem does not exist. But, it is also a fact that there would be a very grave and very legitimate problem even if the negro were the white man’s equal. For the simple fact is, that two widely dissimilar races, whether equal or not, cannot peaceably coexist in the same territory until they are either uniformly mongrelised or cast in folkways of permanent and traditional personal aloofness. No normal being feels at ease amidst a population having vast elements radically different from himself in physical aspect and emotional responses. A normal Yankee feels like a fish out of water in a crowd of cultivated Japanese, even though they may be his mental and aesthetic superiors; and the normal Jap feels the same way in a crowd of Yankees. This, of course, implies permanent association. We can all visit exotic scenes and like it—and when we are young and unsophisticated we usually think we might continue to like it as a regular thing. But as years pass, the need of old things and usual influences—home faces and home voices—grows stronger and stronger; and we come to see that mongrelism won’t work. ––from a letter written in January, 1931.
It is possible that the economic dictatorship of the future can work out a diplomatic plan of separate allocation whereby the blacks may follow a self-contained life of their own, avoiding the keenest hardships of inferiority through a reduced number of points of contact with the whites…No one wishes them any intrinsic harm, and all would rejoice if a way were found to ameliorate such difficulties as they have without imperilling the structure of the dominant fabric. It is a fact, however, that sentimentalists exaggerate the woes of the average negro. Millions of them would be perfectly content with a servile status if good physical treatment and amusement could be assured them, and they may yet form a well-managed agricultural peasantry. The real problem is the quadroon and octoroon—and still lighter shades. Theirs is a sorry tragedy, but they will have to find a special place. What we can do is to discourage the increase of their numbers by placing the heaviest possible penalties on miscegenation, and arousing as much public sentiment as possible against lax customs and attitudes—especially in the inland South—at present favouring the melancholy and disgusting phenomenon. All told, I think the modern American is pretty well on his guard, at last, against racial and cultural mongrelism. There will be much deterioration, but the Nordic has a fighting chance of coming out on top in the end.
Living side by side with people whose natural impulses and criteria differ widely from ours, gets in time to be an unendurable nightmare. We may continue to respect them in the abstract, but what are we to do when they continue to fail to fulfil our natural conception of personality, meanwhile placing all their own preferential stresses on matters and ideals largely irrelevant and sometimes even repugnant to us? And don’t forget that we affect alien groups just as they affect us. Chinamen think our manners are bad, our voices raucous, our odour nauseous, and our white skins and our long noses leprously repulsive. Spaniards think us vulgar, brutal, and gauche. Jews titter and gesture at our mental simplicity, and honestly think we are savage, sadistick, and childishly hypocritical. Well, we think Chinamen are slimy jabberers, Spaniards oily, sentimental, treacherous, backward, and Jews cringing. What’s the answer? Simply keep the bulk of all these approximately equal and highly developed races as far apart as possible. Let them study one another as deeply as possible, in the interest of that intellectual understanding which makes for appreciation and tolerance. But don’t let them mix too freely, lest the clash of deep and intellectually unreachable emotions upset all the appreciation and tolerance which mental understanding has produced. And above all, don’t get led off on a false trail through observing the easy comraderie of a few cosmopolitan intellectuals and aristocrats in whom similar manners or special interests have temporarily overridden the deep wells of natural feeling ineradicable from the bulk of each of the divergent race or culture groups represented.
The population [of New York City] is a mongrel herd with repulsive Mongoloid Jews in the visible majority, and the coarse faces and bad manners eventually come to wear on one so unbearably that one feels like punching every god damn bastard in sight. ––from a letter written November 19, 1931.
As for [the Nazis’] much-advertised and hysterically condemned Jew policy––there is something to be said for one phase of it. Of course it is silly to ban Jewish books, to impose disabilities on Germanically cultured Jews, or to assume that––biologically speaking––a dash of Semitic blood unfits one for Aryan citizenship. That is generally conceded. But after all, there is a very real and very grave problem in the presence of an intellectually powerful minority springing from a profoundly alien and emotionally repulsive culture stream, defying assimilation as a whole, and using its keen mentality and ruthless enterprise to secure a disproportionate hold on the mental and aesthetic life of a nation. ––from a letter written May 29, 1933.
By the way—it’s hardly accurate to compare the Jewish with the negro problem. The trouble with the Jew is not his blood—which can mix with ours without disastrous results—but his persistent & antagonistic culture-tradition. On the other hand, the negro represents a vastly inferior biological variant which must under no circumstances taint our Aryan stock. The absolute colour-line as applied to negroes is both necessary & sensible, whereas a similar deadline against Jews (though attempted by Hitler) is ridiculous.
What we can’t forgive the Jew is not the tone of his prayers or the size of his nose, but the fact that he is willing to survive under the conditions he accepts. Being weak may not have been his fault—but it is his fault that he is alive and not free and dominant. It we were as weak as he, and could not fight our way to self-respect, we would perish utterly—taunting our foes, virile and unbroken, as the last man fell.
Nothing but pain and disaster can come from the mingling of black and white, and the law ought to aid in checking this criminal folly. Granting the negro his full due, he is not the sort of material which can mix successfully into the fabric of a civilised Caucasian nation. Isolated cases of high-grade hybrids prove nothing. It is easy to see the ultimate result of the wholesale pollution of highly evolved blood by definitely inferior strains. It happened in ancient Egypt–and made a race of supine fellaheen out of what was once a noble stock. ––from a letter written July 30, 1933.
Virtually all the great department stores of New York (except Wanamaker’s) are solidly Jewish even when they deceptively retain the names of earlier Aryan owners; & a clear majority of the large shops of other sorts are, as well. These Semitic merchants are clannish & touchy to the very limit, & will arrange to withdraw all their advertising at once whenever a newspaper displeases them. And, as Mencken has pointed out, their grounds of displeasure are limitless. They even resent the frequent use of the word “Jew” in the news, so that papers speak of “East Side agitators”, “Bronx merchants”, “Russian immigrants” &c. Let any N.Y. paper try to refer to these people in the frank, impartial, objective way a Providence or Pittsburgh or Richmond paper would, & the whole pack of synagogue-hounds is after it—calling down the vengeance of heaven, withdrawing advertising, & cancelling subscriptions—the latter a big item in a town where 1/3 of the population is Semitic in origin & feelings. The result is, that not a paper in New York dares to call its soul its own in dealing with the Jew & with social & political questions affecting them. The whole press is absolutely enslaved in that direction, so that on the whole length & breadth of the city it is impossible to secure any public American utterance—any frank expression of the typical mind & opinions of the actual American people—on a fairly wide & potentially important range of topics. Only by reading the outside press & the national magazines can New Yorkers get any idea of how Americans feel regarding such things as Nazism, the Palestine question (in which, by every decent standard, the Arabs are dead right & both England & the Jews intolerably wrong), the American immigration policy, & so on. This is what I mean by Jewish control, & I’m damned if it doesn’t make me see red—in a city which was once a part of the real American fabric, & which still exerts a disproportionately large influence on that fabric through its psychologically impressive size & its dominance both in finance & in various opinion-forming channels (drama, publishing, criticism, &c.). Gawd knows I have no wish to injure any race under the sun, but I do think that something ought to be done to free American expression from the control of any element which seeks to curtail it, distort it, or remodel it in any direction other than its natural course. ––from a letter written November 8, 1933.
I’m more interested in keeping the present 300-year-old culture-germ in America unharmed, than in trying out any experiments in “social justice” … Some people may like the idea of a mongrel America like the late Roman Empire, but I for one prefer to die in the same America that I was born in. Therefore, I’m against any candidate who talks of letting down the bars to stunted brachycephalic South-Italians & rat-faced half-Mongoloid Russian & Polish Jews, & all that cursed scum! You in the Middle West can’t conceive of the extent of the menace. You ought to see a typical Eastern city crowd—swart, aberrant physiognomies, & gestures & jabbering born of alien instincts.
“I hardly wonder that my racial ideas seem bigoted to one born and reared in the vicinity of cosmopolitan New York, but you may better understand my repulsion to the Jew when I tell you that until I was fourteen years old I do not believe I ever spoke to one or saw one knowingly. My section of the city is what is known as the East Side (nothing like New York’s East Side) and it is separated from the rest of the town by the precipitous slope of College Hill, at the top of which is Brown University. In this whole locality, there are scarcely two or three families who are not of original Yankee Rhode Island stock — the place is as solidly Anglo-American as it was 200 years ago.

Over on [Providence’s] West Side, it is very cosmopolitan, but the East Side child might as well be in the heart of Old England so far as racial environment is concerned. Slater Avenue school was near my home, and the only non-Saxons were ***********s whose parents work for our families or cart our ashes, and who consequently know their place. Imagine, then, my feeling on entering high-school and being confronted with the offscourings of Judea! True, some of the Jews were intelligent; in fact, there were some very brilliant scholars among them; but how could a child used to other children like himself find anything in common with hook-nosed, swarthy, guttural-voiced aliens? Repulsion was instinctive—I never denied the mental capacity of the Jew; in fact, I admire the race and its early history at a distance; but association with them was intolerable. Just as some otherwise normal men hate the sight or presence of a cat, so have I hated the presence of a Jew. Then, all apart from this instinctive feeling, I very soon formed a conviction that the Oriental mind is but ill adapted to mingle with the Aryan mind—that the glory of Israel is by itself. Oil and water are both desirable, but they will not mix.

And the more I study the question, the more firmly am I convinced that the one supreme race is the Teuton. Observe the condition in the British Isles. The English are wholly Teutonic, and therefore dominant. The southern Scotch and eastern Irish are also of that blood — they certainly surpass their fellows to the north and west. The Welsh, who have no Teutonic blood, are of little account. Had it not been for the Teutonic infusion at the beginning of the Dark Ages, southern Europe would have been lost. Who were these early French kings and heroes that founded French civilization? Teutons, to a man! It was the Teutonic might of Charles Martel that drove the Saracen Semite out of Gaul. Who were the Normans? Teutons of the North. It is pitiful to me to hear apostles of equity pipe out that other races can equal this foremost of all — this successor to the Roman race in power and virility.”
"The crazy thing is not what Adolf [Hitler] wants, but the way he sees it & starts out to get it. I know he’s a clown, but by God, I like the boy!" –Letter from Lovecraft to Donald Wandrei, November 1936
Old 08-21-20, 09:14 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 949 Likes on 723 Posts

Lovecraft also wasn't a fan of women either, something many screenwriters and casting directors have had to deal with when adapting his work for film; there's often ZERO female characters.
Old 08-21-20, 09:53 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3,211 Likes on 2,071 Posts

I’m starting to think this Lovecraft guy was kind of a dick.
Old 08-23-20, 09:30 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,192 Likes on 918 Posts

New episode was epic! Loved the music placement including one artist that came out of left field, but rocked. From next week's preview seems like the storylines are expanding out. As if episode 1 & 2 are part of an arc and the next arc begins next week.
Old 08-23-20, 11:00 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I didn’t think the second episode was as strong as the first but it’s certainly an interesting show.

It felt like a stupid character decision to be caught out in the woods after dark considering what Atticus has just experienced the night before. I was glad to see the mansion go down at the end. I was worried the story would keep them there for an extended period and I was already tired of it with just this one episode.
Old 08-23-20, 11:18 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 366 Likes on 266 Posts

Whitey On The Moon during the ritual was pretty great. It was the first time I heard the song. And it took a little extra concentration to listen and pay attention to what was happening. Caught me off guard.
The following users liked this post:
Giantrobo (09-01-20)
Old 08-24-20, 03:59 AM

Received 100 Likes on 80 Posts

Originally Posted by GoldenJCJ
I didn’t think the second episode was as strong as the first but it’s certainly an interesting show.

It felt like a stupid character decision to be caught out in the woods after dark considering what Atticus has just experienced the night before. I was glad to see the mansion go down at the end. I was worried the story would keep them there for an extended period and I was already tired of it with just this one episode.
Yeah that was almost inexcusable. A lot happened in the hour though
Old 08-24-20, 12:56 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,640 Likes on 2,613 Posts

So I watched both episodes last night.

1st episode, loved. Loved that it started out as a period drama and then BOOM!! It goes full up horror.

2nd episode. Hmmm. I was watching pretty late and maybe I was a little tired, but it was really strange. I guess it tries to go a little more into the mythology, but to me they just crammed in so much stuff into that hour. I could barely keep up with everything going on. Then Leti dies, is resurrected and then Uncle George ends up dead at the end. Not sure I quite get everything that happened with Tic. So Tony Goldwyn's character is now dead I assume? It felt a little all over the place.

I was amused when they opened with the Jeffersons theme.
Old 08-24-20, 01:45 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Troy Stiffler
Whitey On The Moon during the ritual was pretty great. It was the first time I heard the song. And it took a little extra concentration to listen and pay attention to what was happening. Caught me off guard.
I realized after the poem (which really took me away) that I had barely paid attention to anything on the screen and it was important to the plot. So mebbe too distracting? Had to back up and rewatch that part. But good stuff.

googled the poem/song--it came up before I'd even finished typing Whitey lol....

Last edited by adamblast; 08-24-20 at 02:26 PM.
Old 08-25-20, 09:23 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 34 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by adamblast
I realized after the poem (which really took me away) that I had barely paid attention to anything on the screen and it was important to the plot. So mebbe too distracting? Had to back up and rewatch that part. But good stuff.

googled the poem/song--it came up before I'd even finished typing Whitey lol....
All of the anachronistic stuff like this song and "Movin On Up" are doing more to pull me out of the story than enhance it. It's the 1950s, not the late 60s/early 70s. That being said I'm still enjoying the ride although like I've said before I would be totally lost if I hadn't read the book. And the best stuff is yet to come.
Old 08-25-20, 02:59 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Never read any of Lovecraft himself, I found his prose style next to impossible. I haven't admitted that before, but I don't feel as bad about it now that I know what a racist asshole he was.

I've seen most of the movie adaptations, which are generally so loosely based that you'd never know when two are based on the same story. Jeffrey Combs was a local high-school acquaintance, which also half-explains why I'm a DS9 partisan.

Last edited by adamblast; 08-27-20 at 04:28 PM.
Old 08-25-20, 03:51 PM

Received 99 Likes on 82 Posts

Solid second episode, but agree not as strong as the first. I had to rewind several scenes in the mansion to figure out what was what exactly. The fact that they wound up in the woods after sundown again seemed pretty foolish. Sad ending to the episode with Uncle George.
Old 08-25-20, 03:54 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,742 Likes on 1,889 Posts

Originally Posted by mugwump
All of the anachronistic stuff like this song and "Movin On Up" are doing more to pull me out of the story than enhance it. It's the 1950s, not the late 60s/early 70s.
Yeah, that stuff bugs me, too. And the Marilyn Manson song. It just seems really out of place. Breaks the suspension of disbelief and pulls me out of the scene.

"Whitey's on the Moon" seemed really odd because more of a spoken word poem, and it almost felt like part of the scene, and all I can think about is how this series takes place about fifteen years before Apollo 11.

Old 08-26-20, 10:23 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 28 Likes on 19 Posts

I'm kind of liking it. I love Vance, he's always great. The main character is fine, but I don't like Smollett. She reminds me of Ola Ray in Michael Jackson's "Thriller", especially when she screams. Annoying.
I really enjoyed seeing my neighborhood in the first episode. In Chicago, they took 3 blocks of 18th street and turned it into the 1950s. I walked around the area when filming finished and what a treat to see it.
lisadoris (08-28-20)
Old 08-30-20, 09:54 PM
DVD Talk Hero

The opening (tonight's episode) had a weird segue that threw me off in how it showed the passage of time from the end of last week's story arc. I thought the episode was cool and reminded me of 13 Ghosts.
Old 08-31-20, 01:01 PM

Received 259 Likes on 152 Posts

Here’s a bit of local-ish news from my state.

https://www.cbs42.com/news/local/lov...sundown-towns/

These areas are north of Birminham, and frankly I think they’re STILL considered sundown towns to an extent. Most of my life I’ve heard people only half-jokingly say “Don’t let the sun set on your black ass in Walker County.” Walker Co. is one of those places pretty much everyone from AL knows about, not in a good way.
Old 08-31-20, 02:34 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 483 Likes on 319 Posts

I liked this episode the best so far. The drama of the neighbours was horrifying, and played perfectly into a "haunted house" story.

I also thought the visual effects were a huge step-up from the cartoonish CGI in the first episode.

Saw this on twitter and was really creeped out/bummed out:

Spoiler:

Emmett Till

Old 08-31-20, 03:07 PM

Received 32 Likes on 26 Posts

Wow - wonder if he'll be mentioned again, or if that was just the one scene. Kudos to the show for incorporating that - he was indeed from Chicago. I did not recognize the tie, so didn't catch it.

I also liked this episode - the show is going with an anthology series feel, while keeping the main characters across the stories (and an underlying mystery across all of them). I haven't read the source material, but from what was mentioned above, seems to be what the book did as well.
Old 08-31-20, 03:37 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Once I figured out where this episode fit in the timeline (I spent the first 10-15 minutes thinking it was a flashback or alternate timeline) I enjoyed it the best of the first 3 episodes. Of course, I find haunted house stories a lot scarier and more interesting than satanic cult stories.

The Emmett Till connection is spooky. I wondered if they would expand on that kid’s story after the Ouija board scene.
Old 08-31-20, 07:10 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 144 Likes on 99 Posts

I thought maybe the kid was a connection to Emmett Till considering the anniversary of his death was this past week but I wasn't sure.

The rough ride the cops put Leti through in the episode made me think of Freddie Gray.
Old 09-02-20, 08:48 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,815 Likes on 1,131 Posts

"Whitey on the moon" poem talks about how with all the suffering going on in the world white people have the luxury of spending time thinking about getting to the moon. Or in this case "going back to Eden" where all the white men can rule again and live forever.
The following 2 users liked this post by Giantrobo:
Bandoman (09-03-20), The Questyen (09-02-20)
Old 09-02-20, 10:38 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Giantrobo
"Whitey on the moon" poem talks about how with all the suffering going on in the world white people have the luxury of spending time thinking about getting to the moon. Or in this case "going back to Eden" where all the white men can rule again and live forever.

Giantrobo (09-03-20)

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.