Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

Lovecraft Country (HBO) -- From EP Jordan Peele and J.J. Abrams -- Premieres 8/16/20

Community
Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Lovecraft Country (HBO) -- From EP Jordan Peele and J.J. Abrams -- Premieres 8/16/20

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-20, 11:43 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,640 Likes on 2,613 Posts

From showrunner and executive producer Misha Green, HBO's new drama series LOVECRAFT COUNTRY debuts SUNDAY, AUGUST 16 (9:00-10:00 p.m. ET/PT) on HBO and will be available to stream on HBO Max. Based on the novel of the same name by Matt Ruff, the ten-episode series follows Atticus Freeman (Jonathan Majors) as he journeys with his childhood friend Letitia (Jurnee Smollett) and his uncle George (Courtney B. Vance) on a road trip from Chicago across 1950s Jim Crow America in search of his missing father Montrose (Michael Kenneth Williams). Their search-and-rescue turns into a struggle to survive and overcome both the racist terrors of white America and monstrous creatures that could be ripped from an H.P. Lovecraft paperback.

PRINCIPAL CAST INFORMATION:
· Abbey Lee as Christina Braithwhite
· Aunjanue Ellis as Hippolyta Black
· Courtney B. Vance as George Black
· Erica Tazel as Dora Freeman
· Jamie Chung as Ji-Ah
· Jamie Neumann as Hillary
· Jonathan Majors as Atticus Black
· Jordan Patrick Smith as William
· Jurnee Smollett-Bell as Letitia "Leti" Dandridge
· Mac Brandt as Lancaster
· Michael K. Williams as Montrose Freeman
· Tony Goldwyn as Samuel Braithwhite
· Wunmi Mosaku as Rudy Dandridge

This premieres Sunday on HBO. It's a 10 episode season. Peele and Abrams' production companies helped produce this show.

The showrunner worked on the WGN America series Underground, which hardly anyone watched.

Old 08-15-20, 12:10 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,741 Likes on 1,889 Posts
Re: Lovecraft Country (HBO) -- From EP Jordan Peele and J.J. Abrams -- Premieres 8/16/20

I'm in. Looks good. Also read a few of Matt Ruff's books and enjoyed them, but I don't think I've read this one.

I do sort of wish that, in the promotional material, they would have left all of the monsters and overtly supernatural stuff in order to lull the audience into thinking it was just another drama... and them BAM! the monsters show up.
Old 08-15-20, 12:40 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts
Re: Lovecraft Country (HBO) -- From EP Jordan Peele and J.J. Abrams -- Premieres 8/16/20

Originally Posted by Josh-da-man
I'm in. Looks good. Also read a few of Matt Ruff's books and enjoyed them, but I don't think I've read this one.

I do sort of wish that, in the promotional material, they would have left all of the monsters and overtly supernatural stuff in order to lull the audience into thinking it was just another drama... and them BAM! the monsters show up.
They’re probably trying to reach the largest audience they can. I know I’m going to watch because of the Lovecraft element and not so much for the racial injustice theme. If I wanted the latter I’d just watch cnn.
Old 08-15-20, 04:47 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 192 Likes on 165 Posts

Agreed. As long as it is a honest portrayal of life for minorities in the 50s, and not a thinly veiled social agenda from the show runner or writers, it should be good.
Old 08-15-20, 05:39 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3,210 Likes on 2,071 Posts

I’ve got the series set to record. I need something to watch on Sundays now that Perry Mason is over.

This could be awesome or it could be shit. I trust Abrams for the most part though and Courtney B. Vance has been good in everything I’ve seen him in.
Old 08-15-20, 05:46 PM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,200 Likes on 4,227 Posts

Originally Posted by Barth
They’re probably trying to reach the largest audience they can. I know I’m going to watch because of the Lovecraft element and not so much for the racial injustice theme. If I wanted the latter I’d just watch cnn.
Originally Posted by ~~ PAL ~~
Agreed. As long as it is a honest portrayal of life for minorities in the 50s, and not a thinly veiled social agenda from the show runner or writers, it should be good.
That doesn't sound like HBO to take a beloved IP and shift the focus to racial injustice and social issues.
Spoiler:

Old 08-15-20, 07:42 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by Decker
That doesn't sound like HBO to take a beloved IP and shift the focus to racial injustice and social issues.
Spoiler:

Right and I believe Showtime may have done the same thing with their latest take on Penny Dreadful? The new version is my only experience with the story but I would call it a drama about society and racial issues as the leading theme throughout. I’ve read previous versions of Penny Dreadful are completely different.
Old 08-16-20, 12:00 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 34 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by Decker

The book is itself an allegorical examination of racism and injustice in the US in the post WWII years so it would be kind of weird if they omitted that. Think "Green Book" but better (at least the book) and with a mystical element.
Old 08-16-20, 09:41 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,192 Likes on 918 Posts

That was a fucking badass first episode!
Old 08-16-20, 11:10 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Yeah, that was pretty awesome. The last 15 minutes or so was bananas!

I went in knowing almost nothing about the show. I was a little surprised the first episode unfolded as fast as it did. I’m surprised they made it to Ardham so soon. I was expecting them to be on the road a lot longer.

Either way, I had a blast with the first episode so I’m in for the series (unless it shits the bed like The Outsider did on the next few episodes).
Old 08-17-20, 12:17 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 483 Likes on 319 Posts

Episode went fast. Tons of great stuff, but the last fifteen minutes seemed too True Blood kind of silly, especially compared to how strong the previous hour had been.

Will definitely watch next week's episode.
Old 08-17-20, 10:44 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 45 Likes on 37 Posts

Whoah...slow but necessary set up for first 45 and then all hell breaks loose!

Loved it and will be tuning in....
Old 08-17-20, 11:20 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 34 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by GoldenJCJ
I was a little surprised the first episode unfolded as fast as it did. I’m surprised they made it to Ardham so soon. I was expecting them to be on the road a lot longer.
It seems like they burned through half the book in the first episode in terms of timeline but I'm expecting a lot of flashbacks to fill in the gaps. It really glossed over much of the intro stuff and I would've been lost if I hadn't read the book.
Old 08-17-20, 12:02 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,815 Likes on 1,131 Posts

This show has an Official Podcast like Watchmen and Chernobyl.
Old 08-17-20, 12:07 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by Barth
Originally Posted by ~~ PAL ~~
Considering Lovecraft was a well known racist it may be hard to separate the two. Though I've seen many of you try.

H.P. Lovecraft was a virulent racist. How ‘Lovecraft Country’ confronts his legacy

Last edited by Giantrobo; 08-17-20 at 04:01 PM.
Old 08-17-20, 02:43 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Were blerds a thing in the 1950s?
Old 08-17-20, 04:01 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Were blerds a thing in the 1950s?
Don't know about it being a "thing" but Da Blacks love Nerds things too. Always have..

Old 08-17-20, 04:47 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 100 Likes on 80 Posts

Well that was kinda awesome. Wasn't really expecting the last 15 mins, it was just crazy. It is a horrible thought that Sundown towns and the Green book Vance uses are historical fact, even scarier that some of these towns might still exist. Just crazy
Old 08-17-20, 09:28 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by johnnysd
Well that was kinda awesome. Wasn't really expecting the last 15 mins, it was just crazy. It is a horrible thought that Sundown towns and the Green book Vance uses are historical fact, even scarier that some of these towns might still exist. Just crazy
The poem by H. P. Lovecraft that was referenced in the episode was also real:

https://www.themarysue.com/racist-lo...try-explained/

(Difficult to find a link containing the text because the word in the link will trigger the filter at DVDTalk.)
Old 08-18-20, 12:39 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 272 Likes on 201 Posts

Was this show supposed to be entertaining? I sure didn't find it entertaining watching a group of black people being harassed and abused for an hour. Then it turns into some kind of crappy monster movie? It looks like it's just going to be more of the same for the rest of the show.
Old 08-19-20, 02:09 PM

The poem by H. P. Lovecraft that was referenced in the episode was also real:

https://www.themarysue.com/racist-lo...try-explained/

(Difficult to find a link containing the text because the word in the link will trigger the filter at DVDTalk.)
Wow that's awful.
Old 08-19-20, 02:10 PM

Originally Posted by windom
Was this show supposed to be entertaining? I sure didn't find it entertaining watching a group of black people being harassed and abused for an hour. Then it turns into some kind of crappy monster movie? It looks like it's just going to be more of the same for the rest of the show.
I thought it was entertaining myself if a bit uncomfortable. I think the show will really grow and not just be more of the same going forward. It comes off as a little preachy and over the top until you realize it is kind of realistic.
Old 08-20-20, 03:22 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

The title plus what I know of Lovecraft's horror...and racist views... let me know what we'd be dealing with on some level in this series. Funny how some didn't see it comin' or are now scared the latter will continue to be a thing in the series.
Old 08-20-20, 07:57 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Giantrobo
The title plus what I know of Lovecraft's horror...and racist views... let me know what we'd be dealing with on some level in this series. Funny how some didn't see it comin' or are now scared the latter will continue to be a thing in the series.
Of course I’ve heard of H.P. Lovecraft but I’ve never read any of his books. I’m not even sure I’ve seen any movies based on his stuff so I’ll admit that I had not idea he was a flaming racist. Considering the time period he lived, I guess I’m not surprised but I went into this show almost blind so I didn’t really know what to expect.

I’m also ashamed to admit that up until the movie that was released a couple years ago I didn’t know anything about green books and up until this first episode of LC, I had never heard of “sundown towns/counties”.

The following users liked this post:
Giantrobo (08-21-20)
Old 08-21-20, 01:30 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 949 Likes on 723 Posts

I've read a lot of Lovecraft, but I haven't seen too much of his racist views, or it's possible I just missed them. His writing is pretty chewy, and I don't always follow what he's saying. Like his one sentence paragraphs (with probably a good 40-50 words in a sentence) just describing something.

But yeah, I've seen the racism in some stories, no doubt. You take a great story like The Rats in the Walls. Pretty scary, moody, and atmospheric. But seriously, Howie, did you have to name the black cat.....well, I'm sure you can guess. Could have named it "Midnight", or "Shadow", but no, he went with....that.
The following users liked this post:
Giantrobo (08-21-20)

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.