DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   TV Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk-14/)
-   -   Raised by Wolves (HBO Max) -- Sci-Fi series from EP Ridley Scott -- Premieres 9/3/20 (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk/651080-raised-wolves-hbo-max-sci-fi-series-ep-ridley-scott-premieres-9-3-20-a.html)

DJariya 08-12-20 06:09 PM

Raised by Wolves (HBO Max) -- Sci-Fi series from EP Ridley Scott -- Premieres 9/3/20

Raised by Wolves

From Executive Producer Ridley Scott, Raised by Wolves centers on two androids tasked with raising human children on a mysterious virgin planet. As the burgeoning colony of humans threatens to be torn apart by religious differences, the androids learn that controlling the beliefs of humans is a treacherous and difficult task.

This is a 10 episode season.

Ridley Scott directed the 1st episode.

Josh-da-man 08-12-20 07:22 PM

Re: Raised by Wolves (HBO Max) -- Sci-Fi series from EP Ridley Scott -- Premieres 9/3/20

Looks really meh.

To be brutally honest, after Prometheus and Alien Covenant, I don't trust Ridley Scott to deliver anything watchable.

Why So Blu? 08-12-20 08:13 PM

Re: Raised by Wolves (HBO Max) -- Sci-Fi series from EP Ridley Scott -- Premieres 9/3/20

Looks good. Reminds me of I Am Mother and Oblivion, with some space vikings thrown into the mix. Ridley Scott also directed 2 of the episodes, his son, Luke Scott, also directed 3 episodes.

johnnysd 08-12-20 09:53 PM

I am getting tired of the whole artificial life/android rogue AI thing to be honest

milo bloom 08-13-20 09:37 AM

I'm interested.

I think we need to keep aware of AI and it's implications. I have no interest in having to do a Butlerian Jihad.

cowtown 08-13-20 11:39 AM

Originally Posted by milo bloom (Post 13788425)
I think we need to keep aware of AI and it's implications.

Totally agree, but it's not going to look like any TV series.

It's going to be extremely brief and violent as the AI singularity hits, and then kills humanity by accident or because of noncompatible goals. Like in Ex Machina, but global. Or galactic.

OK, that's not guaranteed, but I won't sound so crazy if you read this:

As far as this show, it looks like the androids are just another stand-in for the superhero-vs-evil archetype that people just can't seem to get enough of today... Maybe there's more to it than the preview shows. I'll give it a try.

Why So Blu? 08-24-20 11:16 AM

Holy shit!

OldBoy 08-24-20 11:29 AM

holy shit that looked amazing! the production value is off the charts and looks gorgeous. that must have cost a few doubloons...

Geofferson 08-24-20 11:41 AM

Agreed, this looks pretty good. Now, will there be any Alien easter eggs? ;)

Eric F 08-24-20 11:54 AM

I'm not going to watch any of these shows until HBO starts offering them in 4k.

OldBoy 08-24-20 11:58 AM

Originally Posted by Eric F (Post 13794328)
I'm not going to watch any of these shows until HBO starts offering them in 4k.

well, then you'll be missing out on some good shows with what i am sure will be ample discussion afterwards...

milo bloom 08-24-20 12:45 PM

OK, looks good, but now I'm not sure I like the idea that the android caretaker is a bad guy.

OldBoy 08-24-20 02:57 PM

Originally Posted by milo bloom (Post 13794379)
OK, looks good, but now I'm not sure I like the idea that the android caretaker is a bad guy.

didn't look that way to me. just looked like she was protecting the kids she raised and grew with. she was ravaging against the people who want the real human kids. protecting them. i didn't see her as a bad guy at all.

Deftones 08-27-20 09:51 PM

Fairly favorable review of 1st episode (and 2nd and 3rd): https://www.ign.com/articles/raised-...x-spoiler-free

Decker 08-27-20 10:09 PM

Looks good, I'm interested.

Koby 08-28-20 06:33 AM

I'm down to check the show out once it drops.

OldBoy 09-03-20 09:46 AM

this is out today. 71% on RT.

Why So Blu? 09-03-20 10:22 AM

First 3 episodes are live.

OldBoy 09-03-20 10:30 AM

why does RT show all premiere today?

Why So Blu? 09-03-20 10:42 PM

Watched the first 3 episodes and this show is fucking hardcore! Loved it.

Finisher 09-06-20 12:00 AM

Some good shit right here. Look, Ridley may not always land the best material but his eye for visuals is always top tier. Ridley + Dariusz Wolski (dp who shot Dark City and first two episodes here) = godlike, epic visual storytelling.

dex14 09-06-20 12:31 PM

Good to see some greatness left in Ridley. The first episode was really well done. It’s a shame MAX isn’t offering 4K HDR because this show would really pop.

Barth 09-06-20 03:50 PM

I loved the first three episodes. As mentioned, the visuals are top notch. Definitely excited for more and hope it remains solid.

Dr. DVD 09-07-20 09:01 AM

Watched the first episode last night. I agree that the visuals are top notch, but that's pretty much a staple of anything made by Ridley Scott. In fact, that's about the only thing I still find appealing about his work, as I found the characters , acting, and writing a little lackluster. I liked the "father" character, but other than him I found all of the other characters droll and boring. The "mother" character comes across as a shizophrenic android.

OldBoy 09-07-20 05:32 PM

saw the first 2 eps. pretty damn good. the production value as i've mentioned is amazing and must cost so much, but it all looked real good and Mother seems good, but i dunno. really good dynamic with Father who seems to have his own agenda (perhaps stopping Mother?). really good show and can't wait to see where it goes...