Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

The Wonder Years (ABC) - from EP Fred Savage and Lee Daniels - premieres 9/22/21

Community
Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

The Wonder Years (ABC) - from EP Fred Savage and Lee Daniels - premieres 9/22/21

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-21, 07:22 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 917 Likes on 677 Posts
Re: The Wonder Years (ABC) - from EP Fred Savage and Lee Daniels - premieres 9/22/21

This show is so good. Dule's band singing the OG theme this past week was great.

This is Us has me spoiled though; I want this show to also have segments with Cheadle and his family in more recent times.
Old 10-15-21, 05:17 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts
Re: The Wonder Years (ABC) - from EP Fred Savage and Lee Daniels - premieres 9/22/21

The show is definitely growing into itself but I'll agree 100% with movieguru. The show is totally missing a solid opening tune.
The following users liked this post:
Boondock Saint (10-15-21)
Old 10-21-21, 12:10 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I finally had time to watch the pilot. I was (and still am) a fan of the original show. I was close to Kevin Arnold's age as well when it aired.

I thought the premise of a different point of view for the 60s sounded promising. I think that they set it up to be decent. While watching the pilot and seeing that there was a brother in Vietnam, I thought that was going to be the new show's take on the pilot of the old show. But so far, there is no real "Winnie" in the kid's life, so I totally expected bad news to be from Vietnam, though it makes sense for it to be what they did. I'm sure that the war will play into the show like it did with the original one.
Old 05-06-22, 07:54 PM
MrX
DVD Talk Hero

Received 259 Likes on 195 Posts

Fred Savage was fired as EP after an investigation into inappropriate conduct.

https://deadline.com/2022/05/fred-sa...ct-1235018451/
Old 05-06-22, 07:56 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,365 Likes on 927 Posts

Sad to see Fred Savage is an asshole.
The following 2 users liked this post by Deftones:
John Pannozzi (05-30-22), Norm de Plume (05-30-22)
Old 05-06-22, 11:23 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,640 Likes on 2,613 Posts

That does suck if he was an ass and verbally abusive to his crews. No one deserves to be treated like that in the workplace.

I dealt with some really awful people who were my bosses early in my career in TV who cursed me out and made me feel really small and worthless. It kills morale and ruins your self esteem. Took me years to regain my confidence after that chapter of my life.

I hope he doesn’t get “canceled” but does get help if he has anger issues. I know making TV is hard and there are deadlines, but working on a TV show should not be a shitty experience.
John Pannozzi (05-30-22)
Old 05-07-22, 10:49 AM
MrX
DVD Talk Hero

Received 259 Likes on 195 Posts

Hope it doesn’t hurt it’s chances at being renewed, I’ve enjoyed it.

They tied this version with the original a few episodes

Spoiler:
The oldest brother was with Winnie’s brother when he was killed in Vietnam
Boondock Saint (05-07-22)
Old 05-07-22, 08:07 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

^ interesting. We still have a handful to watch to finish up. It's good, but just not at the top of the must watch list.
Old 05-07-22, 10:39 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by DJariya
That does suck if he was an ass and verbally abusive to his crews. No one deserves to be treated like that in the workplace.

I dealt with some really awful people who were my bosses early in my career in TV who cursed me out and made me feel really small and worthless. It kills morale and ruins your self esteem. Took me years to regain my confidence after that chapter of my life.

I hope he doesn’t get “canceled” but does get help if he has anger issues. I know making TV is hard and there are deadlines, but working on a TV show should not be a shitty experience.
When ever something like this gets out, I don't believe people should assume the accused is an asshole and abusive, etc. These days the world revolves around people's feelings, which are subjective. Last week it was Bill Murray, this week Savage and next week will be someone else.
Old 05-09-22, 07:19 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 917 Likes on 677 Posts

Outside of the Savage drama, anyone else still enjoying this show? It's one of my favorites now. I wish they played the full theme song every week rather than only on occasion.
Old 05-30-22, 01:10 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 290 Likes on 215 Posts

Originally Posted by Noonan
Outside of the Savage drama, anyone else still enjoying this show? It's one of my favorites now. I wish they played the full theme song every week rather than only on occasion.
I'm liking it. At first I thought it was a cheap stunt to capitalize off the original show's name, but this show really stands on it's own. I'm glad they don't try and rehash similar stories and have the show focus on the lead kid and his "Winnie Cooper". The only downside is I don't feel they fully capture the nostalgic feel of the late 1960's like the original show did. I wish they would have gave it an old school theme sequence and theme song like the original to really give it a retro feel.
Old 05-30-22, 07:19 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 143 Likes on 98 Posts

I love the show and I'm so happy that Savage's behind the scene's drama didn't tank a second season.
Old 05-30-22, 09:51 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Well we have rounded a corner and it's now Must See TV for us. I know exactly when it happened too. It was the episode, "I'm with the Band," where Dean loses first chair sax. The story, the humor and the cast just really gelled for the first time that episode, from the main cast to the supporting cast, that episode was just perfect. We're a handful of episodes past that one and it seems like everyone has just slipped into their roles perfectly since that point. So kudos to the cast and especially the writing staff for giving them some solid material to work with.

We still have a handful left, but am looking forward to getting to them. I thought for sure that a family show like this would be a one-and-done in our crumbling and hate filled world where every show has to have mean spirited characters, so I'm super happy ABC picked it up for another season. It truly is a breath of fresh air in the TV landscape. Who would have thought, given it's a remake of such a revered classic.

Originally Posted by movieguru
The only downside is I don't feel they fully capture the nostalgic feel of the late 1960's like the original show did. I wish they would have gave it an old school theme sequence and theme song like the original to really give it a retro feel.
I can agree with that, but on the flipside should it be? A black family growing up in Montgomery, Alabama in the late 60s may not have the same nostalgia as white middle class America did. Then again, I'm a middle aged, genX, middle class white guy so I may be way off base. Someone more in the know would have to chime in. I do like how they brush on racism (side glances, weird looks and vibes, etc.) without it drowning out the family aspect of the show. The door is there for them to get heavier too which would also be interesting.
Old 05-30-22, 06:04 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Michael Corvin
Well we have rounded a corner and it's now Must See TV for us. I know exactly when it happened too. It was the episode, "I'm with the Band," where Dean loses first chair sax. The story, the humor and the cast just really gelled for the first time that episode, from the main cast to the supporting cast, that episode was just perfect. We're a handful of episodes past that one and it seems like everyone has just slipped into their roles perfectly since that point. So kudos to the cast and especially the writing staff for giving them some solid material to work with.

We still have a handful left, but am looking forward to getting to them. I thought for sure that a family show like this would be a one-and-done in our crumbling and hate filled world where every show has to have mean spirited characters, so I'm super happy ABC picked it up for another season. It truly is a breath of fresh air in the TV landscape. Who would have thought, given it's a remake of such a revered classic.

I can agree with that, but on the flipside should it be? A black family growing up in Montgomery, Alabama in the late 60s may not have the same nostalgia as white middle class America did. Then again, I'm a middle aged, genX, middle class white guy so I may be way off base. Someone more in the know would have to chime in. I do like how they brush on racism (side glances, weird looks and vibes, etc.) without it drowning out the family aspect of the show. The door is there for them to get heavier too which would also be interesting.
Well, I was thinking more along the lines of making the them look like it was shot using Super 8 home video film complete with artifacts flickering in the video as well as the choppiness from the less frames per second used with that type of film. When my parents got married, they purchased one of these cameras and made a number of home movies with the same type of playback quality. Seeing that in the original show's theme instantly made someone think of the 1960's. The new show just kind of jumps right into the story without having the theme as a reference point. The theme music feels more modern, unlike the original, and doesn't make me think of the 1960's.

When the original show first came out, there was only twenty years separating present day from the era depicted on the tv screen. We are much more far removed from that now with 53 years separating the story from the present day. A slight nitpick, but the present day narrator should sound much more like a man in his late 60's then someone in their 30's or 40's. I'm guessing they did that to keep it similar to the original, but the narrator's voice and attitude feels a bit too much off with what his true age should be.

While this series shows a black family in Montgomery, Alabama in the 1960's, this family appears to be much better off and more educated than the average black family in that era and in that part of the country. They touch on racism a bit in this show, but it would probably be much different if the family was less affluent.
Old 05-30-22, 10:20 PM

Received 45 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by movieguru
When the original show first came out, there was only twenty years separating present day from the era depicted on the tv screen. We are much more far removed from that now with 53 years separating the story from the present day. A slight nitpick, but the present day narrator should sound much more like a man in his late 60's then someone in their 30's or 40's. I'm guessing they did that to keep it similar to the original, but the narrator's voice and attitude feels a bit too much off with what his true age should be.
Don Cheadle will be 58 this year, so he’s not too far off.
Old 05-31-22, 09:39 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Dvdlovr24
Don Cheadle will be 58 this year, so he’s not too far off.
He's still younger and sounds more youthful. It feels like they are trying to keep it similar to the narrator in the original show. But the narrator in that show should sound like he was in his early to mid thirties because that was how old he should have been at that time. It's just a minor thing though and I like the show.
Old 05-31-22, 12:06 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

This will probably be unpopular but I think Cheadle is the weakest part of the show. Not to say he's bad but maybe he's just not a good voice actor. He needs to emote more. Everything is too monotone in a "I'm just reading this dialog for a paycheck" kind of way.
Old 08-10-22, 09:19 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Second star to the right and straight on 'til morning.
Received 1,077 Likes on 676 Posts

Fred Savage's Wonder Years Reboot Colleagues Allege Sexual Harassment and Assault: 'His Eyes Would Go Dead'

Dark new details surrounding Fred Savage's abrupt firing from ABC's reboot of The Wonder Years are surfacing.

On Tuesday, The Hollywood Reporter published accounts of six female crew members alleging sexual harassment by Savage, 46. The story details the series of events leading up to the women sending a complaint to Disney and speaking to a human resources executive about their concerns with Savage's behavior toward women on set.

Per the report, the group of women are claiming they "saw two very different sides of Savage: a charismatic, seemingly supportive colleague and a far darker, angrier alter ego." They also claim he "could flip to the latter persona in an instant and in such moments, one says, 'His eyes would go dead.'" But one woman said he never behaved this way in front of actors or executives, who would only "see his absolute perfect, best face."

One former female employee described an encounter she said she had with Savage when she joined the crew for a night out at a local bar. Upon exiting the stall of the women's restroom, she claimed Savage was waiting for her. He allegedly proceeded to push her against a wall and "put his mouth on mine very forcefully." She was able to thwart his advances and leave, later ignoring an apology text from him on the matter.

Representatives for ABC did not immediately respond to PEOPLE's request for comment, but Savage did issue a statement to THR: "Since I was 6 years old, I have worked on hundreds of sets with thousands of people, and have always strived to contribute to an inclusive, safe and supportive work environment," it read.

"It is devastating to learn that there are co-workers who feel I have fallen short of these goals. While there are some incidents being reported that absolutely did not and could not have happened, any one person who feels hurt or offended by my actions is one person too many," the statement continued.
Old 08-11-22, 05:24 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 799 Likes on 567 Posts

"Striven."

Jeez, it's just hard to picture Savage as a sexual predator.
Old 08-12-22, 04:54 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 116 Likes on 92 Posts

Originally Posted by Norm de Plume
"Striven."

Jeez, it's just hard to picture Savage as a sexual predator.
I believe the original wonder years was cancelled because of what him and Jason Harvey did to some female crew members.

No wonder his acting was so good as a Professor who sexually harasses Topanga on Boy Meets World.
Old 08-12-22, 10:31 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,101 Likes on 797 Posts

I believe the original wonder years was cancelled because of what him and Jason Harvey did to some female crew members.
I'll just quote what wikipedia says

The Wonder Years wrapped its sixth and final season in May 1993. Its cancellation was partially blamed on conflict between producers and executives at ABC. As Kevin matured, the producers wanted the storylines to mature, as well. The executives at ABC, though, felt uncomfortable with more explicit content given the time slot.
Other reasons for the show's cancellation were escalating costs and declining ratings. The cast's salary increases, coupled with location shooting (which was due to the producers wanting to reflect Kevin obtaining his driver's license), led to Brush claiming that they were spending $1.2 million an episode.

As the show was in the process of wrapping its final season, a costume designer on the show named Monique Long filed a sexual harassment charge against stars Fred Savage and Jason Hervey. The suit brought forward unwanted publicity to the show. In the end, the case was settled out of court with Savage stating that he was "completely exonerated" and adding that it was a "terrible experience".

In January 2018, Alley Mills said that a "completely ridiculous" sexual harassment lawsuit against Savage and Hervey was a significant factor in the show's cancellation.

Old 08-12-22, 12:01 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by AaronHernandez
I was aware of that and Alley Mills's reaction. When it's a single allegation or a couple of them, certainly there's the possibility of a vendetta on the part of the accuser(s). The more alleged victims come forward, the higher the likelihood of the accused's guilt. Therefore, with now six accusers, I find Savage's innocence improbable. It's just hard to imagine because of the wholesome image he has always projected, like Cosby.
Old 08-12-22, 01:34 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,101 Likes on 797 Posts

Originally Posted by Norm de Plume
I was aware of that and Alley Mills's reaction. When it's a single allegation or a couple of them, certainly there's the possibility of a vendetta on the part of the accuser(s). The more alleged victims come forward, the higher the likelihood of the accused's guilt. Therefore, with now six accusers, I find Savage's innocence improbable. It's just hard to imagine because of the wholesome image he has always projected, like Cosby.
You need to read The Hollywood Reporter article that lays out the charges being made.

There are not six women accusing Savage of some kind of assault. There are six women saying that Savage was quick to anger and would become verbally abusive with yelling and insults, which echoes a charge made about Savage from The Grinder days: that Savage constantly hurled profanities at women employees.

What those six women also claim is that they observed him sexually harassing other women. For example. they claim that Savage made unwanted advances toward a young woman working for the production, but that woman is not accusing Savage of any workplace wrongdoing and, in fact, says that while she was working for the show, Savage was a good friend to her.
She says that after she was no longer working for the show, she attended a party where this happened:
At one point, she went to the restroom. As she was walking out of the stall, Savage entered. “I started laughing, like, ‘What are you doing? This is a women’s bathroom,’” she says. She says he approached her with “just like, dead eyes” and pushed her against a wall. “I said, ‘Please, don’t do this.’ I meant ruining the friendship. I was pleading, not from fear so much, but this was no going back.” At that point, she says, “He put his mouth on mine very forcefully. He went for the top of my pants. I brushed him away. Then he put his mouth on mine again, grabbed my hand, and pulled it on his groin area. I was pulling back. He stopped very angrily. I shoulder-checked him so I could get out.”
Make what you will of that, but she never reported his behavior to the police, and it didn't happen in the workplace, and she was no longer his employee.

The other charge again is not being made by "the victim," but involves Savage's behavior with a woman he was having an affair with, and how he treated her when the relationship went south. Again, all the charges about Savage's bad behavior towards this woman are what other people observed and what their impressions were.
Norm de Plume (08-12-22)
Old 08-12-22, 04:51 PM
DVD Talk Legend

^ Thanks. See, that's what I get for not reading the details before commenting.
Old 06-15-23, 08:34 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 724 Likes on 590 Posts

Season 2 premiered last night Wed 6/14/2023

Strange it is airing in the Summer and not the Fall or a mid-season replacement show or maybe something to fill time later this year if the strike continues?

Guess ABC does not have faith in the show.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.