Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

The Wonder Years (ABC) - from EP Fred Savage and Lee Daniels - premieres 9/22/21

Community
Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

The Wonder Years (ABC) - from EP Fred Savage and Lee Daniels - premieres 9/22/21

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-20, 01:36 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,641 Likes on 2,613 Posts

https://deadline.com/2020/07/the-won...ge-1202979955/

ABC has handed a pilot production commitment to The Wonder Years, a new iteration of the network’s 1980s family comedy-drama. It comes from Dave executive producer Saladin K. Patterson, Empire co-creator Lee Daniels, the original series’ breakout star Fred Savage and 20th Century Fox TV.Written by Patterson inspired by his experiences growing up in Montgomery, Alabama, the new incarnation of The Wonder Years chronicles how a Black middle-class family in Montgomery, Alabama in the turbulent late 1960’s —the same era as the original series — made sure it was The Wonder Years for them too.

The approach is reminiscent of the successful current reimagining of the classic family sitcom One Day at a Time with a Latinx family.

The Wonder Years has a pilot production commitment. If the pilot script is approved for pilot production by ABC, the sign-off will also trigger the opening of a mini writer’s room in preparation for a possible series pickup.

Savage will direct the potential pilot. He and Patterson executive produce the half-hour project with Lee Daniels Entertainment’ Daniels and Marc Velez.

Neal Marlens, who co-created the original series with Carol Black, will be a consultant. 20th TV, which owns the rights to the 1988 series, is the studio. Part of Disney TV Studios, 20th TV has overall deals with Daniels, Patterson and Savage.

ABC has been actively pursuing reboots and revivals in the past couple of years, with Roseanne, which led to spinoff The Conners; NYPD Blue and New York Undercover, piloted last season; and thirtysomething(else) this season.

ABC just passed on the thirtysomething sequel, originally picked up to pilot. Thirtysomething and The Wonder Years aired on ABC at the same time in the late 1980s-early 1990s. In fact, the two won the Emmy award for drama and comedy series, respectively, in the same year, 1988, for their first seasons.

At ABC, the new Wonder Years is looking to join The Goldbergs, long considered a spiritual successor to The Wonder Years.

Created by Marlens and Black, the original The Wonder Years ran for six seasons on ABC from 1988-1993. The coming-of-age dramedy took place from 1968-1973 and was narrated by Daniel Stern as an adult version of Kevin Arnold, played by Savage, a teenager in a suburban middle-class family, who recalled growing up during the turbulent social times. Dan Lauria co-starred as his father Jack, Alley Mills as his mother Norma, Jason Hervey as his brother Wayne, Olivia d’Abo as his sister Karen, Josh Saviano as his best friend Paul Pfeiffer, and Danica McKellar as his girlfriend Winnie Cooper.

At age 13, Savage became the youngest actor ever nominated for an Emmy as Lead Actor in a Comedy Series. The show was also awarded a Peabody Award in 1989 for “pushing the boundaries of the sitcom format and using new modes of storytelling”. In all, the series won 22 awards over the course of its run out of 76 nominations.

Patterson is an executive producer on FX’s breakout new comedy series Dave. Prior to that, he was showrunner of TBS’ The Last O.G., starring Tracy Morgan and Tiffany Haddish. He spent three seasons as co-executive producer of CBS’ mega hit, The Big Bang Theory, which he joined after serving as a Consulting Producer on another hit CBS/Chuck Lorre comedy, Two and a Half Men. His extensive credits also includes stints on USA Network’s Psych, Fox’s The Bernie Mac Show and NBC’s Frasier.

Daniels recently co-created and served as executive producer on the Fox/20th TV series Empire and Star. He has drama project Our Kind of People with Karin Gist, which is heating up for a pilot pickup at Fox.

Starting out as an actor, Savage has focused a lot of his attention on directing for the past couple of decades. His recent directing credits include the ABC comedy series Modern Family, The Conners and Single Parents.

Old 07-08-20, 02:50 PM
Suspended

Received 101 Likes on 87 Posts
re: The Wonder Years (ABC) - from EP Fred Savage and Lee Daniels - premieres 9/22/21

Reboot FAMILY MATTERS with a white cast. oops! No we can’t! That’s racist!
Old 07-08-20, 03:18 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts
re: The Wonder Years (ABC) - from EP Fred Savage and Lee Daniels - premieres 9/22/21

Originally Posted by Gizmo
Reboot FAMILY MATTERS with a white cast. oops! No we can’t! That’s racist!
That just makes you sound racist. Plus Family Matters has no real concept. It's simply a family sitcom. If you can't find one of those featuring a white family, you're not looking hard enough.

The initial thought of rebooting The Wonder Years doesn't sound too appealing at first glance... until I read the concept which I'm down for. Sounds like a great idea for a show.
The following 3 users liked this post by Michael Corvin:
albert_m (10-21-21), majorjoe23 (07-08-20), zoomgirl (03-16-21)
Old 07-08-20, 03:26 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 483 Likes on 319 Posts

Originally Posted by Michael Corvin
The initial thought of rebooting The Wonder Years doesn't sound too appealing at first glance... until I read the concept which I'm down for. Sounds like a great idea for a show.
Absolutely. Reading the thread title I assumed it was going to try being the same thing only set in the 80s. I'm much more interested in seeing the same time period, only with a different family in a different part of America.
Old 07-08-20, 07:38 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 731 Likes on 533 Posts

Originally Posted by Crocker Jarmen
Absolutely. Reading the thread title I assumed it was going to try being the same thing only set in the 80s. I'm much more interested in seeing the same time period, only with a different family in a different part of America.
Like The Goldbergs?
Old 07-08-20, 08:07 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 799 Likes on 567 Posts

Terrible idea. The premise sounds good, but why appropriate the name? Call it something else. It's only going to suffer in comparison.
Old 07-08-20, 11:05 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Loved the original. I dig the concept for the reboot. I'm down. I just hope it goes for the same kind of tone as the original.
Old 07-09-20, 05:50 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 724 Likes on 590 Posts

Hollywood needs new writers badly.
Old 01-29-21, 04:51 PM

Received 4,585 Likes on 3,104 Posts

ABC is officially turning back the clock to the 1960s: The Alphabet network has ordered a pilot for a reboot of The Wonder Years from executive producer Lee Daniels (Empire), TVLine has learned.

The new take on the 1988-93 series will be set during the turbulent ’60s, as the original was, but this time will center on a Black middle-class family from Montgomery, Alabama, who “made sure it was The Wonder Years for them too,” per the official description. Original star Fred Savage will serve as an EP along with Daniels and will also direct the pilot. Neal Marlens, who co-created the original Wonder Years with Carol Black, will serve as a consultant.
https://tvline.com/2021/01/29/the-wo...daniels-black/
Old 01-29-21, 06:41 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,156 Likes on 902 Posts

Kind of surprised that it’s going to be set in the sixties again. I figured it might be updated to the eighties or nineties.
Old 01-29-21, 09:18 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3,211 Likes on 2,071 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike86
Kind of surprised that it’s going to be set in the sixties again. I figured it might be updated to the eighties or nineties.
I’m glad it’s not. I’ve had just about enough 80s nostalgia from TV and movies lately.
Old 01-29-21, 09:34 PM
Premium Member

Received 701 Likes on 466 Posts

Yeah, and The Goldbergs (as mentioned above) have that covered and is similar.
Old 01-31-21, 02:11 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 398 Likes on 321 Posts

I haven't watched The Wonder Years for in years, but why the comparissons to The Goldbergs? The Wonder Years had light themes and funny moments, but to me it was more of a drama and definitely not a sitcom like The Goldbergs.
Old 01-31-21, 03:11 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,156 Likes on 902 Posts

I can see the comparison. The Goldbergs is more of a sitcom, but it definitely feels like it was influenced by The Wonder Years.

Both are period set shows centering around a family told through the eyes of the youngest child. The eras of the shows are different, as are the tones, but there are similarities.

I guess I can see why the updated version of The Wonder Years isn’t going to be a later era the more I think about it. The 80’s are done to death as far as nostalgic trips into the era with numerous show and films. Plus the fact that this will be told from the perspective of an African American family it will be different.
Old 03-15-21, 06:47 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 290 Likes on 215 Posts
"The Wonder Years" reboot

ABC finds new star of 'The Wonder Years' revival (msn.com)

This show will be set in 1968 just like the original. If this show is will also be narrated by the character's present day counterpart, I could see this working if the use Morgan Freeman.
Old 03-15-21, 07:07 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Re: "The Wonder Years" reboot

Interesting. Though I’m not sure a black kid growing up in the Deep South in the 60s would describe that time as “wonder years”.

Definitely a premise with a lot of potential though.
The following users liked this post:
Cusm (05-19-21)
Old 03-15-21, 07:32 PM
DVD Talk God

https://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk/65...niels-abc.html

Already a thread. The news of its development has been out since last summer. But the casting of the lead is new.
Old 03-15-21, 07:36 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 290 Likes on 215 Posts

Originally Posted by GoldenJCJ
Interesting. Though I’m not sure a black kid growing up in the Deep South in the 60s would describe that time as “wonder years”.

Definitely a premise with a lot of potential though.
I feel like this reboot will be a lot more political and less innocent than the original. It would be kind of neat if they could do a digital crossover with the original show where you could have some of the original characters or side character appear in the in the background if there could be a reasonable reason why the character would be in the same town as the originals. I feel like this will be more of a reboot in name only like One Day at a Time and the only similarity is that it focuses on a 12 year old kid in 1968 and their present day counterpart narrates the story.

I always felt like Everybody Hates Chris was similar to a Wonder Years Reboot that was set in the 1980's instead of the late 1960's.
Old 03-16-21, 12:25 PM
Suspended

Because Mixed-ish is doing so well, let’s do another one 30 years before!

ABC had/has so many shows from other time periods and none really pop. Why they keep trying is beyond me.
Old 03-16-21, 12:53 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 217 Likes on 192 Posts

Originally Posted by movieguru
I feel like this reboot will be a lot more political and less innocent than the original. It would be kind of neat if they could do a digital crossover with the original show where you could have some of the original characters or side character appear in the in the background if there could be a reasonable reason why the character would be in the same town as the originals. I feel like this will be more of a reboot in name only like One Day at a Time and the only similarity is that it focuses on a 12 year old kid in 1968 and their present day counterpart narrates the story.

I always felt like Everybody Hates Chris was similar to a Wonder Years Reboot that was set in the 1980's instead of the late 1960's.
and there's an animated "Everybody Hates Chris" reboot in development.
Old 03-26-21, 01:14 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 917 Likes on 677 Posts

Don Cheadle will be the narrator of the reboot.
Old 04-09-21, 02:08 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 917 Likes on 677 Posts

Old 04-09-21, 05:40 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Is that Dulé Hill? He’s always great.
Old 05-14-21, 03:49 PM
DVD Talk God

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/tv...rs-1234953624/

This was officially picked up to series for next season
Old 05-14-21, 04:44 PM
Suspended

Originally Posted by DJariya
https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/tv...rs-1234953624/

This was officially picked up to series for next season
They canceled Mixed-ish for this. This might last half a season

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.