TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

TV shows being edited for content due to social issues

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-20, 01:14 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,936 Likes on 1,497 Posts
Re: TV shows being edited for content due to social issues

Originally Posted by PhantomStranger
The one thing with older television shows is that producers often had rights Hollywood simply doesn't hand out anymore in contracts. Pretty much any show made before the late 1980s have all these clauses where the producer and/or his company have final say over almost everything about their show. Since these shows are still making money for the original producers (more likely their estates these days), Hollywood studios don't have as much leeway tampering with older productions and/or pulling them from the market.

I'm pretty sure the Dukes of Hazzard would already have been permanently shelved if not for these contractual differences.
The studios don't have any say on whether to distribute these or not? Editing I can understand, but they have to keep them continually available for some reason?
Old 07-01-20, 01:29 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,097 Likes on 794 Posts

Originally Posted by whotony
I don’t know who Black Bart is.

And you have the nerve to call yourself a DVD TALK LEGEND!?!?!
The following users liked this post:
whotony (07-17-20)
Old 07-01-20, 01:32 PM

Received 1,913 Likes on 1,128 Posts

Not saying one way or the other if this should be happening, but I have a question: do things change for people who would receive royalties on these episodes that are pulled from circulation? How does that work?
Old 07-01-20, 01:33 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by story
Not saying one way or the other if this should be happening, but I have a question: do things change for people who would receive royalties on these episodes that are pulled from circulation? How does that work?
I assume they wouldn't get royalties because the episodes aren't airing? Or am I misunderstanding your question?
Old 07-01-20, 01:49 PM

Received 1,913 Likes on 1,128 Posts

Right, like, if 99 out if 100 episodes air, or 99 out of 100 are on disc, and now that person doesn't earn royalties on that episode, what happens? Do they no longer get compensated for the work because someone else wants to take it out of the lineup? Could someone say, "Um, hey, my livelihood"? Maybe it's not a big deal, I've seen some royalty checks are literally for pennies, more spent on postage than what the check amount itself. Or maybe that's the rules of the road for a contract because the creators or studio do what they want to do. Again, I'm not saying whether this should happen. I'm genuinely curious if this angle has been explored.
Old 07-01-20, 04:33 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 78 Likes on 63 Posts

I do think this is funny how studios, actors and producers are trying to clean up their professional past by getting rid of the evidence of their racist/racial humor.

They profited by reinforcing and perpetuating racist stereotypes and racist imagery. Then, years later after they’ve made their careers, “oh, I’m removing these because I didn’t know it was wrong at the time.” But you did know it was wrong because people complained back then and you dismissed their complaints.

What contemporary shows have humor that can legitimately, not sarcastically, be considered offensive and/or promote negative stereotypes? Because most of these retroactive band-aids and apologies don’t do much to change the affect it had in society.

Old 07-01-20, 04:36 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by brayzie
I do think this is funny how studios, actors and producers are trying to clean up their professional past by getting rid of the evidence of their racist/racial humor.

They profited by reinforcing and perpetuating racist stereotypes and racist imagery. Then, years later after they’ve made their careers, “oh, I’m removing these because I didn’t know it was wrong at the time.” But you did know it was wrong because people complained back then and you dismissed their complaints.

What contemporary shows have humor that can legitimately, not sarcastically, be considered offensive and/or promote negative stereotypes? Because most of these retroactive band-aids and apologies don’t do much to change the affect it had in society.
I'm thinking mainly of the 30 Rock and Community episodes, was there a big outcry when they aired? I don't remember it.
Old 07-01-20, 04:56 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by fujishig
I'm thinking mainly of the 30 Rock and Community episodes, was there a big outcry when they aired? I don't remember it.
If there was a big enough outcry, I would doubt it for those two shows.

Actually, yeah, it did get some criticism in 2012. But the Washington Post made sure to cite a number of white or non-black writers who praised the bravery and brilliance of the blackface episode.

As did Kimmy Schmidt in 2016.

Usually a big outcry would affect their profits and they’d act right accordingly.
Notice they removed the blackface episodes but not the “brown face” when Alec Baldwin paints his face brown and plays a Latino. So “race-changing make up” is bad...but not always, apparently.

Sarah Silverman was confronted about her racist Asian joke on Bill Maher’s show, by Guy Aoki and she dismissed his complaints throughout the entire episode, mocking him.

Tina Fey was asked about her racial humor by the time of the Kimmy Schmidt show and she said she didn’t care.

Last edited by brayzie; 07-01-20 at 06:12 PM.
Old 07-01-20, 06:43 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 723 Likes on 590 Posts

Originally Posted by DJariya
It's $145 for the complete series and 2 movies on Amazon.

https://www.amazon.com/Dukes-Hazzard...s%2C225&sr=8-1

Hurry buy it now!!! You know you're freaking out and getting itchy to buy it before it's gone for good. You're going to regret it if you don't act fast!!! You hesitated on 30 Rock, now it's gone for good. Huuuurry now!!! Spend the money.

I already have 30 Rock and I think I won the Dukes of Hazzard probably stashed somewhere in a storage crate but they did not come with the box and just the sealeed cases stuck together and wrapped in shrinkwrap.

Last edited by JeffTheAlpaca; 07-01-20 at 06:50 PM.
Old 07-01-20, 06:46 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 723 Likes on 590 Posts

I wonder if Comedy Central will still do those comedy roasts since that kind of comedy is probably outlawed now?

Old 07-01-20, 09:11 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,462 Likes on 930 Posts

I have some random thoughts.

When I was a kid we took a vacation in Canada. I saw Stepin Fetchit on TV, and I thought he was hilarious. My dad told me that he wasn't. I didn't understand that he played the worst stereotypes of Black people. It was a good thing that children of my generation (in the USA) weren't exposed to an actor who played lazy, stupid, superstitious, cowardly Black minstrel-show characters. It doesn't matter that he was hugely successful in his day, and he was a brilliant comedian. The effect would have been inculcating subtle racism into a new generation.

Mrs Danger's father loved All in the Family. He believed that Archie Bunker spoke truths that no one else dared say on television. I'm sure he wasn't the only one.
Old 07-01-20, 10:18 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Nick Danger

Mrs Danger's father loved All in the Family. He believed that Archie Bunker spoke truths that no one else dared say on television. I'm sure he wasn't the only one.
I wouldn’t be surprised if other people thought that way at the time. You could argue he humanized white supremacists. You wouldn’t produce a show like that today, so why was it okay back then?

Old 07-01-20, 11:12 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,462 Likes on 930 Posts

Why wouldn't we produce a show like that today? Cartman says a lot of the same things that Archie Bunker did.
Old 07-02-20, 12:54 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Nick Danger
Why wouldn't we produce a show like that today? Cartman says a lot of the same things that Archie Bunker did.
South Park is a cartoon show on cable. “All in the Family” was a prime time live-action sitcom on network television, CBS to be exact. So South Park is not a show like All in the Family.

Last edited by brayzie; 07-02-20 at 01:45 AM.
Old 07-02-20, 06:19 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 246 Likes on 175 Posts

Originally Posted by brayzie
I wouldn’t be surprised if other people thought that way at the time. You could argue he humanized white supremacists. You wouldn’t produce a show like that today, so why was it okay back then?
Archie was portrayed as an ignorant fool. Today you can't make fun of anybody. Hogan's Heroes portrayed Nazis as having the brains of rat turds. Probably couldn't do that today either.
Take Beverly Hillbillies and Green Acres. Those couldn't get made today because of the way rural people are displayed, yet the city folks were the ones portrayed as fools. As dumb as Jethro was, he was smarter than any of the Beverly Hills city folk.
Old 07-02-20, 07:35 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 196 Likes on 168 Posts

Originally Posted by rw2516
Archie was portrayed as an ignorant fool. Today you can't make fun of anybody. Hogan's Heroes portrayed Nazis as having the brains of rat turds. Probably couldn't do that today either.
Take Beverly Hillbillies and Green Acres. Those couldn't get made today because of the way rural people are displayed, yet the city folks were the ones portrayed as fools. As dumb as Jethro was, he was smarter than any of the Beverly Hills city folk.
The fews scenarios still left that hollywood can portray as a fool, are autistic/asperger geniuses like a Sheldon Cooper.
Old 07-02-20, 08:31 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by morriscroy
The fews scenarios still left that hollywood can portray as a fool, are autistic/asperger geniuses like a Sheldon Cooper.
Well that and husbands on sitcoms.
Old 07-02-20, 01:16 PM

Wonder how soon the "dumb blonde" caricature will be eliminated from tv/movies, and be replaced with the assertive fighter type of character like Wonder Woman, Sarah Connor, etc ...
JeffTheAlpaca (07-02-20)
Old 07-02-20, 01:21 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Wonder how soon the "dumb blonde" caricature will be eliminated from tv/movies, and be replaced with the assertive fighter type of character like Wonder Woman, Sarah Connor, etc ...
I did think it was interesting that in the past few years there have been a bunch of "dumb Asians" like really really dumb as if to go against the stereotype: notably The Good Place and Single Parents, or even Mindy Kaling's character in The Office. And then you have the ones that just lean into the stereotypes with no shame like Two Broke Girls.
Old 07-02-20, 05:11 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by rw2516
As dumb as Jethro was, he was smarter than any of the Beverly Hills city folk.
Well, he was a big, good-looking guy who lived in a Beverly Hills mansion, and he couldn't get laid to save his life, so I'm not sure about what you said.
Old 07-02-20, 05:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Just saw where the episode of Mad Men where Roger wear's blackface will not be pulled because the episode set in the 60s is historically accurate about portraying the existence of racism.

Apparently Mad Men viewers have been deemed intelligent enough to figure out that just because a character on a TV show is doing something that is not a message to the audience that it is right.
Old 07-02-20, 10:02 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 810 Likes on 684 Posts

Originally Posted by fujishig
The studios don't have any say on whether to distribute these or not? Editing I can understand, but they have to keep them continually available for some reason?
The producers have iron-clad contracts with studios. Producers could sue for damage and breach of contract if the studio permanently shelved the show, hurting the producer's income stream from it.

This applies only to television. Hollywood studios have absolute control over theatrical productions. Hollywood thought television was completely disposable product with zero shelf life in the medium's early days, so each show's producers ended up retaining far more rights and power over their shows. Sometimes all a Hollywood studio may own for a specific show is distribution rights and not the show itself.

That is why the issues with the Simpsons and 30 Rock are much more likely to be permanent. The producers themselves are leading the charge to shelve certain episodes. One or two lost episodes isn't going to make a dent in their revenue streams from shows that lasted years and years.
Old 07-02-20, 10:14 PM

The producers have iron-clad contracts with studios. Producers could sue for damage and breach of contract if the studio permanently shelved the show, hurting the producer's income stream from it.
What is an example where the producers sued and won where an "iron clad" contract was violated by permanently shelving a show?
Old 07-02-20, 10:28 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 810 Likes on 684 Posts

What is an example where the producers sued and won where an "iron clad" contract was violated by permanently shelving a show?
Before now, I don't think Hollywood has ever shelved an entire show actually generating revenue. But these are strange times we are living in now...
Old 07-02-20, 10:39 PM

Before now, I don't think Hollywood has ever shelved an entire show actually generating revenue. But these are strange times we are living in now...
If no examples.

Do you have a link or citation about these sort of "iron clad" contracts for tv shows?
Fist of Doom Jr (07-02-20)

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.