DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   TV Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk-14/)
-   -   The Challenge: Total Madness (MTV) -- premieres 4/1/20 (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk/649994-challenge-total-madness-mtv-premieres-4-1-20-a.html)

windom 03-04-20 12:08 PM

The Challenge: Total Madness (MTV) -- premieres 4/1/20

The new season starts April 1st per Josh's Twitter.

dex14 03-04-20 12:25 PM

Re: The Challenge: Total Madness (MTV) -- premieres 4/1/20

https://cimg4.ibsrv.net/gimg/dvdtalk...eb8ccff896.jpg

We've seen two war of the worlds -- and now The Challenge is about to be total madness.

Season 35 of the hit series will begin on April Fool's Day 1 -- and in the clip above, Tori warns that the "game has changed," and (appropriately) host TJ Lavin alludes to the "biggest twist" in the show's existence. And what's so funny, CT?

"If you're not good here, you won't be good out there," Mattie advises, as she points to her head during the first portion of the statement. And by the looks of the intense competition and the interpersonal relationships, she is completely correct.

What does host TJ Lavin have up his sleeve for the group? And how does six-time champion Johnny Bananas describe his surroundings? Watch the entire first look, share your thoughts and stay with MTV News for more Total Madness updates. Also, take a look at the entire cast -- including Survivor, The Amazing Race and Big Brother alums -- below!

VETERANS

Aneesa Ferreira, 13th Challenge

Ashley Mitchell, 7th Challenge

Cory Wharton, 7th Challenge

Chris "CT" Tamburello, 17th Challenge

Dee Nguyen, 3rd Challenge

Jenna Compono , 8th Challenge

Jennifer West, 2nd Challenge

Johnny "Bananas" Devenanzio, 20th Challenge

Jordan Wisely, 6th Challenge

Josh Martinez, 3rd Challenge

Kailah Casillas , 5th Challenge

Kyle Christie, 5th Challenge

Mattie Breaux, 2nd Challenge

Melissa Reeves, 3rd Challenge

Nany Gonzalez , 9th Challenge

Nelson Thomas, 6th Challenge

Rogan O’Connor, 3rd Challenge

Stephen Bear, 3rd Challenge

Tori Deal , 4th Challenge

Tula “Big T” Fazakerley , 2nd Challenge

Wes Bergmann, 13th Challenge

ROOKIES

Asaf Goren, Big Brother Israel, So You Think You Can Dance

Bayleigh Dayton, Big Brother

Christopher Jordan "Swaggy C" Williams, Big Brother

Faysal Shawn "Fessy" Shafaat, Big Brother, American Ninja Warrior

Jay Starrett, Survivor

Jennifer Lee, Amazing Race

Kaycee Clark, Big Brother

lwhy? 03-04-20 02:11 PM

You all beat me to it. I've had other things going on this week if you've been following the news. I'm looking forward to the new season. I'm interested to see how Team Young Buck and Big Brother do against the Vets.

lwhy? 03-04-20 09:22 PM

Here's the full trailer for the new season:

lwhy? 03-18-20 03:05 PM

A new Super Trailer was released today:

leeta 03-19-20 07:42 AM

Were they able to finish filming this?

dex14 03-19-20 07:44 AM

Yes.

Season 36 was to start in a couple of weeks though, so I'm sure that is postponed.

lwhy? 03-19-20 08:14 AM

I wonder if they shot a reunion? They usually don't shoot those until a few weeks before the finale airs.

dex14 03-19-20 08:53 AM

Yea, like you said, they don’t shoot it until closer to the finale. So, no it wouldn’t have been yet.

lwhy? 03-19-20 10:10 AM

Originally Posted by dex14 (Post 13707392)
Yea, like you said, they don’t shoot it until closer to the finale. So, no it wouldn’t have been yet.

I'm just glad we're getting a new full season. This and the Amazing Race coming back are my two most anticipated upcoming shows. They shot the Amazing Race over a year ago.

Bill Needle 03-19-20 01:54 PM

Yep I'm ready. Bring on the fist fights, crying jags, and defective moral compasses.

lwhy? 03-25-20 08:51 PM

Here's a sneak peak of where they're living this season, an underground bunker.

dex14 04-01-20 08:05 AM

Finally!!

lwhy? 04-01-20 12:23 PM

My body is ready!

Bill Needle 04-01-20 03:00 PM

It is upon us!

Bill Needle 04-01-20 09:55 PM

I noticed they aired a commercial for the Challenge on CBS during Survivor tonight.

Good premier. I like the change of pace with the living arrangements. Nice twist reveal at the end.

dex14 04-02-20 06:09 AM

Corporate synergy.

Bill Needle 04-02-20 05:58 PM

Originally Posted by dex14 (Post 13716688)
Corporate synergy.

Yeah, but they never air commercials for the many MTV dreck shows in CBS prime time. I think it confirms that the company sees the show as a tent-pole franchise that has cross-over appeal and could even outgrow MTV.

dex14 04-02-20 06:27 PM

Originally Posted by Bill Needle (Post 13717204)
Yeah, but they never air commercials for the many MTV dreck shows in CBS prime time. I think it confirms that the company sees the show as a tent-pole franchise that has cross-over appeal and could even outgrow MTV.

True, it has gotten bigger and they've been pulling people from other shows, which has then drawn more eyes. My point was the merger between CBS and Viacom is new, so that is why you'd probably see more of ads like that.

Moving it off MTV... now that would be interesting...

Spiderbite 04-03-20 10:02 AM

Originally Posted by dex14 (Post 13717218)
True, it has gotten bigger and they've been pulling people from other shows, which has then drawn more eyes. My point was the merger between CBS and Viacom is new, so that is why you'd probably see more of ads like that.

Moving it off MTV... now that would be interesting...

Hell, they should. It always seems like MTV doesn't give a shit about The Challenge when they choose to rerun Ridiculousness 23 out of 24 hours a day.

With The Real World and Road Rules long gone and them pulling in people from Big Brother all over the world, various Survivor contestants from everywhere, Ninja Warrior, etc., the MTV connection is nearing extinction with every passing season.

I did love the twist at the end and am kinda surprised they haven't done this sooner. I could have sworn there was a season where there was a similar twist but my memory sucks and they all now run together for me after 35 freaking seasons. :lol:

You do kinda miss the emotional connection with all the newly added members. After watching someone in a full season of Real World and/or Road Rules, you felt like you kinda knew the people and it gave you a stronger connection watching many of them transition to The Challenge. But things change and if they keep having two seasons a year with many of the newbies becoming reoccurring cast members, then you can hopefully get that same kind of connection I described.

Bill Needle 04-09-20 02:12 AM

While watching tonight's episode it became clear from the number of times they went to the blank page named Jenn that she was going to be in trouble. But every time they put her name on the screen and listed "Amazing Race" with it I was confused because even though I've watched every season of the Amazing Race I had no recollection of her, and yet here she is invited to be on the Challenge.

She isn't old enough to have been on so long ago that I forgot her, so I gave up trying to remember who she is and looked her up. She lasted exactly one episode three years ago. Her and her partner were utterly incompetent...a total disaster. There is literally NOTHING about her 10 minutes on The Amazing Race that warrants her selection for the Challenge.

So this begs the question: Who she bangin? There is no other explanation. And now she has bookended her reality show competition career by once again being the first (female) eliminated in essentially the shortest time possible.

Finisher 04-09-20 11:09 PM

Originally Posted by Bill Needle (Post 13720696)
So this begs the question: Who she bangin? There is no other explanation. And now she has bookended her reality show competition career by once again being the first (female) eliminated in essentially the shortest time possible.

Jenn is smokin' hot. There's your explanation. Had zero recollection of her as well.

I'm cool with them broadening their talent pool, so long as they're bringing in good contestants or eye candy which they're pretty much nailing.

Bill Needle 04-10-20 12:48 AM

Originally Posted by Finisher (Post 13721139)
Jenn is smokin' hot. There's your explanation. Had zero recollection of her as well.

I'm cool with them broadening their talent pool, so long as they're bringing in good contestants or eye candy which they're pretty much nailing.

I agree, but if they are just going to bring in random hot girls even as cute as she may be they can still do a lot better than her. And at least bring in one that has a smidgen of personality and can raise her arms above her head without gassing out. She was pathetic.

lwhy? 04-10-20 07:29 PM

I feel that Dee was almost more pathetic than Jenn when she refused to compete against her in the elimination. It was an easy win and her chance to get a red skull. I’m really enjoying this season so far. I really liked the dropping bombs out of a helicopter challenge. Jordan was pretty pathetic though. Cory destroyed him.

JZ1276 04-10-20 11:47 PM

If someone started a drinking game where you took a shot every time one of the cast used the word "literally" you'd end up hammered by the end of the episode.
Also, Jen (West) is really tough to look at. She almost looks like a tranny.

Bill Needle 04-11-20 12:17 AM

Originally Posted by JZ1276 (Post 13721726)
Also, Jen (West) is really tough to look at. She almost looks like a tranny.

(for size)
Spoiler:
http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-tah2dB6lYB...0/PDVD_033.BMP

I don't know what you're talking about. I think she's super hot.

windom 04-16-20 02:57 PM

No comments yet? Pretty unreal to see CT taken out like that. It shows the dangers of putting yourself in. Well, at least he was a winner last season.

What good is having multiple red skulls over having just one?

Bill Needle 04-16-20 04:36 PM

Bad elimination challenge for dad bod. The poor guy could barely stand straight when it was done.

(paraphrasing) "When you guys find it, can somebody send me my back?" - CT

leeta 04-16-20 10:10 PM

Originally Posted by Bill Needle (Post 13725102)
Bad elimination challenge for dad bod. The poor guy could barely stand straight when it was done.

(paraphrasing) "When you guys find it, can somebody send me my back?" - CT

At least he said he would get in fighting shape for next time. It would be good to see him sort of like his old self.

lwhy? 04-17-20 11:58 AM

Originally Posted by leeta (Post 13725276)
At least he said he would get in fighting shape for next time. It would be good to see him sort of like his old self.

He said that when he was eliminated on War of the Worlds and nothing really changed. I'm surprised he lost that elimination. He dominated a similar rope type challenge vs Darrell on Invasion of the Champions. He probably weighed his heaviest the past two seasons though. That and I think he smokes led to his gassing out. I hope Pops takes it seriously now and gets back into fighting shape.

windom 04-17-20 12:47 PM

Remember when Beth was always the "old person" on these shows? I'm sure that CT and Bananas are probably a lot older now than she was on her last season.

I'm trying to remember how Wes got to be on The Challenge. Was he on The Real World or Road Rules. I'm thinking I might remember him on Road Rules.

Bill Needle 04-17-20 01:03 PM

Originally Posted by windom (Post 13725573)
I'm trying to remember how Wes got to be on The Challenge. Was he on The Real World or Road Rules. I'm thinking I might remember him on Road Rules.

Real World - Austin (2005)

lwhy? 04-17-20 02:49 PM

Originally Posted by windom (Post 13725573)
Remember when Beth was always the "old person" on these shows? I'm sure that CT and Bananas are probably a lot older now than she was on her last season.

It looks like Beth was last on the challenge in 2008. She was born in 69. So she was 39 during her last season. https://thechallenge.fandom.com/wiki/Beth_Stolarczyk CT is currently 39. Real World started casting older people so cast rookies started being older. Kaycee Clark on this season is a rookie and She's 32. Jenny West who debuted last season is 33. Rookies are a lot older now that they used to be.

Spiderbite 04-17-20 03:04 PM

I hated seeing CT go out like that since he has been my favorite for years.

Unless it was clever editing, it looked like he had the door open wide enough to squeeze in before Jay got in and I was sitting there screaming at the screen..."Go on in!" Was there a rule that the door had to be opened completely or have nothing at all on it that I missed? Or was CT just that slow?

I don't think there is any advantage to having two skulls other than you eliminate one more person who may make it to final. Plus, it should put some people on alert now and no longer thinking that Jay is a lay-up and that will hopefully have different people going in instead of every guy's challenge being Jay vs. someone.

I knew CT was toast when they had every single person making comments about how CT was playing smart and dominating the challenge. I knew he was toast even though it looked close because of that.

I will admit it is fun seeing Bananas and Wes joining forces and getting along. That Scraggy dude and his girl have to go though. How can two people be both dull and obnoxious at the same time?

Anyone think Rogan would have beaten Jay on that challenge? I don't.

dex14 04-17-20 03:05 PM

Originally Posted by Spiderbite (Post 13725666)
Was there a rule that the door had to be opened completely or have nothing at all on it that I missed?

Yes.

Spiderbite 04-17-20 03:10 PM

Originally Posted by dex14 (Post 13725668)
Yes.

Okay. Thanks. I knew I must have missed something like that.

windom 04-17-20 03:41 PM

Originally Posted by Spiderbite (Post 13725666)
That Scraggy dude and his girl have to go though. How can two people be both dull and obnoxious at the same time?

I assume you didn't see Swaggy C and Bayleigh on Big Brother. Their only potential is that they provide good drama. Hopefully, we get to see Bayleigh go off on someone like she did on Big Brother:

Spiderbite 04-17-20 04:01 PM

Yeah, I have never watched Big Brother more than a few episodes.

I watched the very first season a little and just found it dull and repetitive. Tried a few years later and the format hadn't really changed so I just never could get into it.

JZ1276 04-23-20 12:28 AM

Big T is so sexy.

lwhy? 04-23-20 12:38 AM

Cold War has to be one of the more dangerous weekly challenges in recent history right? Dee is quickly becoming the new Cara.