Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

The Mandalorian: Chapter 5: The Gunslinger (S1E5) - 12/6/19

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-19, 01:18 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,156 Likes on 902 Posts
Re: The Mandalorian: Chapter 5: The Gunslinger (S1E5) - 12/6/19

I agree that most of what was in this episode really wasn’t fan service. As I said in an earlier post, and as Abob Teff reiterated, seeing locales and creatures/species from a planet in the Star Wars universe we’ve visited and we know exist there doesn’t equate to fan service. Those are things established by previous films that exist on Tatooine.

The most fan service moments to me, which weren’t even major deals really were a couple lines of dialogue. The line about Peli Motto having the high ground and the other about her being worth a lot to me (which seems like something a bounty hunter would say anyways and doesn’t have to throw back to Boba Fett just because he said it once).

Last edited by Mike86; 12-08-19 at 03:07 PM.
Old 12-08-19, 01:39 PM
DVD Talk Legend & 2021 TOTY Winner

Received 746 Likes on 370 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike86

The most fan service moments to me, which weren’t even major deals really were a couple lines of dialogue. The line about Peli Motto having the high ground and the other about her being worth a lot to me (which seems like something a bounty hunter would say anyways and doesn’t have to throw back to Boba Fett just because he said it once).
Repeated film dialogue for no good reason one of my biggest issues with the EU, totally takes me out of the moment and feels like fan fiction.
Old 12-08-19, 03:05 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Made more sense to me to have Mandalorian go to Tatooine as it has been a hub for underground workers since the republic.
Old 12-08-19, 03:24 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 49 Likes on 38 Posts

What a poop episode.
Old 12-08-19, 03:25 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by JoeyOhhhh
Made more sense to me to have Mandalorian go to Tatooine as it has been a hub for underground workers since the republic.
Yeah. Tatooine is an established place for criminals in this universe so going back there makes sense. Even if we find out that it’s changed somewhat from what it once was. I could see more complaints about other planets to be honest like Hoth or Endor.
Old 12-08-19, 05:26 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,743 Likes on 1,889 Posts

Yeah. Tatooine is an established place for criminals in this universe so going back there makes sense. Even if we find out that it’s changed somewhat from what it once was. I could see more complaints about other planets to be honest like Hoth or Endor.
Absolutely.

Tatooine, despite its backwater reputation, was the home to Jabba the Hutt, and it also seemed to be sort of a way station for smugglers, fugitives, and other sketchy characters."Hive of scum and villainy."

It shouldn't be surprising that Mando would stop here while he's on the lam from the guild.
Old 12-08-19, 06:27 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3,212 Likes on 2,072 Posts

Originally Posted by bluetoast
At all the complaints about no plot advancement (over the last few weeks). This is clearly not that type of show. This is the plot: He’s on the run and having adventures of the week.
This is breaking that mold by being more of an adventure of the week type show. Not that it may not be building to something, but that’s not the sole focus.
The mental gymnastics people go through to defend this show is silly. It’s possible to say you enjoy the show while also admitting that the plot lines are simple and unoriginal.
Old 12-08-19, 07:02 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by GoldenJCJ
The mental gymnastics people go through to defend this show is silly. It’s possible to say you enjoy the show while also admitting that the plot lines are simple and unoriginal.
I’m defending the show sure, but it’s not really mental gymnastics. It’s the truth. Some people seem disappointed in the fact that the show isn’t more serialized, which by now it’s evident this isn’t that type of show. It’s much more like a lot of classic sci-fi shows where it’s episodic.

I’ve never said anything about it being original. It’s pretty basic, but that doesn’t really bother me. It’s a fun show. Is it groundbreaking? No, but it’s an entertaining way to spend a half hour of my week and is giving me far more enjoyment than Star Wars has in a long time. So yeah I probably am somewhat forgiving of it.
Old 12-08-19, 07:10 PM
DVD Talk Hero

It is impossible to please Star Wars fans.

The porridge is either too hot or too cold, and the bed is always too hard or too soft. And someone breaks a chair.
Old 12-08-19, 07:12 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Yes, because Star Wars is known for its complex and byzantine plots.

Or, to borrow a line from the TLJ defenders, it's a story for children about space wizards with laser swords.
Old 12-08-19, 07:18 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 275 Likes on 207 Posts

I forgot, this is DVDTalk where every statement is a hardcore defense or an attack, and we’re all against each other, with no in-between. I fail to see what mental gymnastics I took to say that the show has a threadbare plot.
Old 12-08-19, 07:28 PM
DVD Talk Legend

First nobody hates Star Wars more than it’s fans, and now they’re doing mental gymnastics to rush to it’s defense. Can’t fucking win with some people.
Old 12-08-19, 07:44 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Goldilocks and the Three Wookies.
Old 12-08-19, 08:11 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 259 Likes on 152 Posts

That just seems like semantics to me. I don’t personally see fan service as an automatically bad thing, but some of you seem to be using a definition that says otherwise. I do think this was fan service, but was done tastefully. Bad fan service, to me, is more like making Anakin the creator of C3PO or having Yoda and Chewbacca becoming war buddies in ROTS.
Old 12-08-19, 08:21 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,641 Likes on 2,613 Posts

And some people actually want David Filoni to become the head of Lucasfilms?

The episode was okay, but it was nothing spectacular. The guy is still learning the ropes of making live action TV. He's simply not even close to being ready to run a creative division, let alone direct a Star Wars movie.

That would be a shame if that was Ming-Na Wen's only appearance. I felt like that was a waste and to be taken out like that. Hopefully she isn't dead.

Old 12-08-19, 09:12 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Maybe not the head, but I would take anything by Filoni over the shit we’ve gotten from the Disney sequel films thus far. Also this was his first go at live action directing. I don’t think he did that bad considering that. I would still say he along with Favreau should at the least be consultants if nothing else.

Last edited by Mike86; 12-08-19 at 09:48 PM.
Old 12-08-19, 09:40 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 870 Likes on 392 Posts

Well, he went to Tatooine because he needed to repair his ship after the opening space fight (which was a cool opening).
Otherwise it completely contradicts his reasoning for going to Sargon in Chap 4, "Looks like there's no star port, no industrial centers, no population density. Real backwater skug hole. Which means it's perfect for us."
Even if he finally gets that the fobs are being tracked, he wouldn't intentionally set down in a known place where bounty hunters frequent.

I thought he would go to Bespin to get repairs.

My only eye roll moment was that they mentioned womp rats two weeks in a row.

'I can bring you in warm or I can bring you in cold.'
'That's my line.'

My favorite moment was when they were watching the Tusken Raiders through the binocs, we half expected them to come popping into view and scaring them like Luke. But Mando says, "Why don't you tell them yourself?" and they're just standing there hanging out.
Old 12-09-19, 06:23 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 325 Likes on 243 Posts

It's always interesting to come here and see the reactions. I was rather "meh" on the first three episodes, but loved the last two - which seem to have been disliked by those who loved the first three.
Old 12-09-19, 07:26 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 382 Likes on 307 Posts

I found this episode pretty uninspiring. I am looking for an overall arc instead of a week to week "go here, do that" procedural. I'd love to have more character development too... we get to know some interesting characters, and poof, they're gone. I know Carino will be back but hell, we don't really even know Mando after 60% of the season being over. Nobody to root for yet aside for an adorable baby Yoda.
Old 12-09-19, 08:39 AM
Admin

Received 466 Likes on 306 Posts

This was the weakest episode for me of the 5 so far. I liked the all the references to the original movies, the Cantina, the same table where Han shot Greedo, the Tusken Raiders, etc. The storm troopers heads on pikes was pretty nasty and one of those things you'd expect to see after an empire falls. I liked that shot the same as I liked the crashed star destroyer in the beginning of The Force Awakens. Just kind of tells the story of the passage of time without having any dialogue.
Old 12-09-19, 01:07 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,245 Likes on 856 Posts

Originally Posted by DVD Josh
What a poop episode.

You mean banta pudu ... get with it.
Old 12-09-19, 06:22 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 243 Likes on 178 Posts

Originally Posted by IDrinkMolson
Even if he finally gets that the fobs are being tracked, he wouldn't intentionally set down in a known place where bounty hunters frequent.
And leave the exit ramp to his ship wide open with an unattended baby Yoda inside...
Old 12-09-19, 07:38 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3,212 Likes on 2,072 Posts

Ok, maybe I was a little dramatic with my “mental gymnastics” comment but there are definitely some viewers who are watching this through Star Wars colored glasses. These episodes have been almost 100% unoriginal and uninspired and if they were from any other series/franchise, they wouldn’t get a fraction of comments coming to their defense.

We’re 5 episodes in and I have yet to see anything that had me guessing what was going to happen next. I mean, was anyone surprised that Mando has a crisis of conscience and went back for Baby Yoda? Did anyone think Mando wouldn’t help the innocent farmers on that planet? Or that Baby Yoda was actually going to be left there? Was anyone surprised that the young, wannabe bounty hunter was going to try to turn on Mando? Of course not, these are storylines we’ve all seen a thousand times before.

Of course, what do I know, I’m one of those people that think the short runtimes ARE a detriment to the story telling. You simply can’t tell a quality story in 23 minutes. Or, if you can, this particular series certainly isn’t doing it.

I don’t think it’s too much to ask the creators of this show to show a modicum of originality when writing this show and not treat us all like a bunch of simpletons just because it’s a Star Wars story.
Old 12-09-19, 08:39 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts

Originally Posted by Big Boy Laroux
So I really didn't want to resurrect the HDR conversation, but I have to... I hadn't really noticed any issues on the episodes before this one, but on this one, the desert scenes looked awful. The sand dunes had obvious gradients, especially red. The sky as well. I had to turn off HDR on my TV for it to look normal/good again.

Wasn't my TV, cause I watched some other HDR content (not Disney+) and it looked good. Anyone else experience that?
I had some brightness issues where certain scenes would dim and get brighter. As far as I can tell it's ONLY been on the Mandalorian and only dark scenes (racing across the dunes at night in Chapter 5 and in the jungle battle in Chapter 4). I wonder if that stems from this BS HDR nonsense.
Old 12-09-19, 11:45 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 962 Likes on 669 Posts

Another great episode in my book. Not sure I really understand the complaints about too many references. Yes, the episode takes place on Tatooine so we see some of the common things associated with it: Tusken Raiders, Banthas, Dewbacks, and some familiar droids (though in this universe those droids could be anywhere). It didn’t seem like overkill to me. There’s a difference between references for the sake of having them and things that exist in the established universe.

Storyline was good overall I thought. Could kinda tell that the other bounty hunter was going to turn on Mando. Seems like the end and whoever that was checking on the target may be part of the next episode(s). Maybe that will lead to the introduction of Esposito’s character.
I agree. People are making way too big a deal. This is just one episode. I enjoyed the call backs to Tatooine. Nothing wrong with that.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.