DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   TV Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk-14/)
-   -   Black Lightning (CW) -- Season 3 Thread -- Premieres 10/7/19 (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk/648825-black-lightning-cw-season-3-thread-premieres-10-7-19-a.html)

DJariya 10-07-19 04:46 PM

Black Lightning (CW) -- Season 3 Thread -- Premieres 10/7/19

https://cimg7.ibsrv.net/gimg/dvdtalk...2904937007.jpg

MONDAY, OCTOBER 7

SEASON PREMIERE

BLACK LIGHTNING

"The Book of Occupation: Chapter One: Birth of Blackbird" - (9:00-10:00 p.m. ET) (TV-14, DLV) (HDTV)

SEASON PREMIERE - We find Jefferson Pierce (Cress Williams) like never before, in the hands of the ASA with his wife Lynn (Christine Adams) as Agent Odell (guest star Bill Duke) tightens his grip on the Pierce family, leaving Jennifer (China Ann McClain) abandoned and Freeland without Black Lightning and Thunder. But Anissa (Nafessa Williams) secretly defies Odell in her alter ego as Blackbird with the able tactical and technical support of Gambi (James Remar). Marvin Jones III and Damon Gupton also star. Directed and written by Salim Akil (#301). Original airdate 10/7/2019.

Read more:Listings - BLACK LIGHTNING on The CW | TheFutonCritic.comhttp://www.thefutoncritic.com/listings/20190919cw04/#ixzz61ht2Qfy0

Black Lightning will be part of the big CW crossover.

Seems like this is the least popular CW DC show next to Supergirl.

Koby 10-07-19 05:00 PM

Re: Black Lightning (CW) -- Season 3 Thread -- Premieres 10/7/19

Originally Posted by DJariya (Post 13620051)
Seems like this is the least popular CW DC show next to Supergirl.

It's by far the best one though since Arrow went downhill starting with season 3, while The Flash went downhill starting with season 2. Supergirl has been terrible since Season 2 and Legends of Tomorrow is just a parody of itself at this point. Batwoman's pilot didn't have anything new or interesting to add to the fray, just more of the same.

Just hoping season 3 of Black Lightning doesn't mark it's downfall. Especially since it's officially joining the Arrowverse with the crossover this season and because all of these Arrowverse shows have just continued in a downwards spiral for several seasons.

I'm planning on watching Legends of Tomorrow, Supergirl, Batwoman, and the Flash up to the crossover event and dropping them all. While Arrow I'll finish it up since it'll only have a couple episodes to go until it's finale. Only one I plan to continue watching is Black Lightning and that's really only if this season doesn't take a massive dive.

Giantrobo 10-07-19 05:02 PM

The new costume looks good. I'm looking forward to the new season :up:

DJariya 10-07-19 05:07 PM

Originally Posted by Koby (Post 13620059)
It's by far the best one though since Arrow went downhill starting with season 3, while The Flash went downhill starting with season 2. Supergirl has been terrible since Season 2 and Legends of Tomorrow is just a parody of itself at this point. Batwoman's pilot didn't have anything new or interesting to add to the fray, just more of the same.

Just hoping season 3 of Black Lightning doesn't mark it's downfall. Especially since it's officially joining the Arrowverse with the crossover this season and because all of these Arrowverse shows have just continued in a downwards spiral for several seasons.

I'm planning on watching Legends of Tomorrow, Supergirl, Batwoman, and the Flash up to the crossover event and dropping them all. While Arrow I'll finish it up since it'll only have a couple episodes to go until it's finale. Only one I plan to continue watching is Black Lightning and that's really only if this season doesn't take a massive dive.

Its good, but nobody talks about it especially here. It hardly gets any media coverage and I think the CW advertises it the least. If you think it’s one of those shows where you watch it and have absolutely nothing to say, then you’re not really helping it. But I know some here think you’re over praising its quality, then your a shill.

Eric F 10-07-19 09:21 PM

Originally Posted by DJariya (Post 13620066)
Its good, but nobody talks about it especially here. It hardly gets any media coverage and I think the CW advertises it the least. If you think it’s one of those shows where you watch it and have absolutely nothing to say, then you’re not really helping it. But I know some here think you’re over praising its quality, then your a shill.

I watched the show last season and thought it declined quite quickly in quality. By the end of last season it was no better than any of the other WB/DC shows, and that made me sad because at the beginning it was far better.

Giantrobo 10-08-19 01:13 PM

Originally Posted by DJariya (Post 13620066)

Dvdtalk is one of THE WORST places when it comes to these shows. In other groups and social media pages, DC based ones in particular, while the same type of Haters found here exist, there is also more of a balance in terms of people who LOVE these shows. So there is a lot of great back and forth about what people like and don't like.

Here's it's very few of us who enjoy the shows, and the rest who even bother to post hate watch then come here to post why they hate the shows or why they are gonna give up after the crossover.

Eric F 10-08-19 01:57 PM

Originally Posted by Giantrobo (Post 13620530)
Dvdtalk is one of THE WORST places when it comes to these shows. In other groups and social media pages, DC based ones in particular, while the same type of Haters found here exist, there is also more of a balance in terms of people who LOVE these shows. So there is a lot great back and forth about what people like and don't like.

Here's it's very few of us who enjoy the shows, and the rest who even bother to post hate watch then come here to post why they hate the shows or why they are gonna give up after the crossover.

You crack me up. :rolleyes::lol:

The threads are fairly consistent on every forum I read, while the regular fanboys/girls exist, for the most part people lament the general decline in the Berlanti DC shows. I don't know, I find DVDTalk genrally pretty qood on giving credit where credit is due. If there is a good episode we'll laud it, but that really doesn't happen all that much these days.

I am really looking forward to the crossover, but I do plan on dropping all the DC/WB shows at the end of the season (when Arrow is through). There is just so much better quality TV out there these days.

Who knows? Maybe I'll come back if there's some new series that gets amazing reviews.

I do really enjoy Titans. What network is that again? :lol:

Giantrobo 10-08-19 04:48 PM

Originally Posted by Eric F (Post 13620563)
You crack me up. :rolleyes::lol:

The threads are fairly consistent on every forum I read, while the regular fanboys/girls exist, for the most part people lament the general decline in the Berlanti DC shows. I don't know, I find DVDTalk genrally pretty qood on giving credit where credit is due. If there is a good episode we'll laud it, but that really doesn't happen all that much these days.

I am really looking forward to the crossover, but I do plan on dropping all the DC/WB shows at the end of the season (when Arrow is through). There is just so much better quality TV out there these days.

Who knows? Maybe I'll come back if there's some new series that gets amazing reviews.

I do really enjoy Titans. What network is that again? :lol:

Like I said, while Haters and Fanboys/Girls do exist on other forums it's more of a balance. Certainly a better balance than here on dvdtalk where the majority are miserable, negative, and unhappy about the CW DC shows. BTW, not even arguing that any of you are wrong about what you don't personally like. Add to the fact that there just aren't that many here who participate on the forum and...well..

Anyway, do you. No one is asking you to like anything you're not capable of liking. :up:

DWilson 10-09-19 09:32 AM

This show seems to be creating it's own little universe, -something more like the late "Colony" on USA, and I can appreciate that, though I don't see how they'll fit in a cross-over. Unfortunately, I found the pace of the first episode stolid and the general tone unpleasant.

will travel 10-10-19 01:20 AM

Cress Williams posts an image on himself as BLACK LIGHTNING at the controls of the Waverider.

https://www.cbr.com/black-lightning-...-crisis-image/

DJariya 10-11-19 12:37 AM

Breaking News - Actor, Singer, Host Extraordinaire Wayne Brady Joins "Black Lightning" as Gravedigger | TheFutonCritic.com

Wayne Brady will play "Gravedigger"

and if you've never heard of him, the character is a real DC character.

https://dc.fandom.com/wiki/Gravedigger

DJariya 10-20-19 04:32 PM

I just finished season 2 on Netflix last night. Had fallen behind and was trying to get caught up for season 3.

I’m confused why a few here say that they hated season 2. Yeah it had a few slow filler episodes. But the last 3 to 4 episodes were awesome and had a great soundtrack. The soundtrack for this show is killer. Some really good dynamics between Black Lighting and Tobias in the finale. And I liked how they developed his daughters more. And at least Tobias is now behind bars in a black site prison. I also thought Bill Duke’s character sort of hinted about the looming crisis in the final cliffhanger.

Alright now I can finally get started on season 3 as I have those 2 episodes recorded.

i guess for the very few who watch this show here, it’s not compelling enough to talk about as two weeks have aired and no one has talked about it at all.

DJariya 10-21-19 01:15 AM

I'm now caught up with season 3. I have to admit, I was kind of lost. I felt like I missed 2 episodes. Duke's character Odell told Jefferson and his family that there was a looming crisis with Markovians and then it ended.

The season started out months later and I was kind of lost as to why Jefferson and Lynn was being detained by the ASA. Seems like the Markovians are a fictionalized evil Eastern European group loosely based on the 80s Russians.

A little surprised they brought back Khalil. That was cold how he murdered his mother at the end of the 2nd episode.

If you don't watch this show paying completely full attention, you would be completely confused as to what's going on. It almost felt like a different show.

Eric F 10-21-19 03:39 AM

I watch. It’s interesting out of the CW shows because it takes place in its own little universe. I also had a difficult time following what was going on. I still sort of do.

lisadoris 10-21-19 04:57 AM

I too caught up on S2 right before the premiere. My issue with S2 is the runaway teen storyline. It lasted too long and it wasn't really what I thought the series was going to be about. Halfway through it is when I bailed.

That jump from S2 to S3 felt like a jump. I was happy we finally saw some Marvovians because I was beginning to think that Bill Duke was making them up so he could build his human weapons. He's really good at playing an effective yet sociopathic ass.

mwbmis 10-21-19 08:27 AM

Originally Posted by DJariya (Post 13627139)
I'm now caught up with season 3. I have to admit, I was kind of lost.

If you don't watch this show paying completely full attention, you would be completely confused as to what's going on. It almost felt like a different show.

That was my complaint, and why I quit watching after season 2. This is cribbed from my end of season post in that thread. "To me this show is just so all over the place. It feels like story lines are developed and then dropped over and over again. Characters are introduced and then disappear for four or five episodes and then are back." I had a couple of examples.

It's too bad, because there are things about this show that I liked, but watching it became too much of an effort, and it's just not good enough to require effort.

Eric F 10-21-19 09:15 AM

There was a really interesting storyline with Lala in the first season- I have no idea what he's doing now.

mwbmis 10-21-19 09:38 AM

Originally Posted by Eric F (Post 13627239)
There was a really interesting storyline with Lala in the first season- I have no idea what he's doing now.

That's a good example from season 2. He was missing in so many episodes that I figured his story line must have been resolved, and i just didn't remember it. Then he popped up again towards the end of the season.

Eric F 10-21-19 01:20 PM

Originally Posted by mwbmis (Post 13627251)
That's a good example from season 2. He was missing in so many episodes that I figured his story line must have been resolved, and i just didn't remember it. Then he popped up again towards the end of the season.

He's in the new season, just not sure where his character fits in. The whole Tattooed Man plot where he has to redeem himself for the deaths of the people he killed- and they're literally haunting him, is pretty much gone now. It was never really resolved (if it was I missed it).

Giantrobo 10-21-19 04:43 PM

Originally Posted by DJariya (Post 13627139)
I'm now caught up with season 3. I have to admit, I was kind of lost. I felt like I missed 2 episodes. Duke's character Odell told Jefferson and his family that there was a looming crisis with Markovians and then it ended.

The season started out months later and I was kind of lost as to why Jefferson and Lynn was being detained by the ASA. Seems like the Markovians are a fictionalized evil Eastern European group loosely based on the 80s Russians.

A little surprised they brought back Khalil. That was cold how he murdered his mother at the end of the 2nd episode.

Jefferson is THE META to have. His body has stayed Meta without the breakdown like the others. He is KEY to making Green Light Metas work in a stable way. Odell wanted him and his family all under protection to keep the Markovians from getting him. He and Lynn agreed to be locked up in exchange for the freedom of the Girls.

Khalil and La La are popular characters. That said, clearly their stories aren't over.

DJariya 10-21-19 04:59 PM

Originally Posted by Giantrobo (Post 13627548)
Jefferson is THE META to have. His body has stayed Meta without the breakdown like the others. He is KEY to making Green Light Metas work in a stable way. Odell wanted him and his family all under protection to keep the Markovians from getting him. He and Lynn agreed to be locked up in exchange for the freedom of the Girls.

Khalil and La La are popular characters. That said, clearly their stories aren't over.

Thanks that does clear things up.

Koby 10-21-19 05:32 PM

Honestly I didn't really have many issues with S2, and well Black Lightning was the only DC show on TheCW that I enjoyed last season, but here we are in Season 3 and I feel like it's just been a mess thus far. They're also pulling Black Lightning into the Arrowverse with the cross-over event; which is going to air half of it then take a month off before airing the second half. >_> I'm dropping all Arrowverse at the end of the cross-over, except I'm going to finish up Arrow since it's only going to have like one or two episodes after that... and depending on how the rest of this season of Black Lightning goes, I may not be back for season 4.

Shame the DC Universe service apparently isn't doing too well. Sucks that Swamp Things won't get another season too.. but Titans and Doom Patrol are great and far more enjoyable than the Arrowverse imo; and I have too much to watch anyways so I gotta make some cuts with shows that I'm just not enjoying.

DJariya 12-10-19 01:16 AM

So tonight's episode of Black Lightning was indeed part of the crossover. It ended on a cliffhanger leading into part 3 tomorrow.

The anti matter storm on Crisis is a background element to tonight's episode. Jefferson's entire family and Gamby were all taken out by it.

Koby 12-10-19 02:00 AM

Guess I'll have to wait to watch 09 till next month then so see it all in order.

Tom Banjo 12-10-19 02:13 AM

Did anyone catch which Earths each Jen is from? I thought I saw Earth-1 and Earth-2 listed but missed the third one, and was a little confused on which Jen was from which. I was surprised to see that Earth-1 (unless I read it wrong) apparently has/had it’s own Black Lightning that has never been mentioned before.