Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Re: The Expanse (Now on Amazon) -- Season 4 Thread -- Premieres 12/13/19

This episode especially the space stuff gave me a serious B5 vibe
Old 12-13-19, 10:24 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 30 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by Red Dog
Hope Amazon has a good recap of where things left off. Been so long.
There's a 15-minute recap hosted by Kevin Smith that quickly runs through the first three seasons.
Old 12-14-19, 05:40 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by spainlinx0
I downloaded the 4K UHD version to my phone so I can watch on my commute. It's weird. The show seems to be in 2 different aspect ratios. When they are in space, it's 1.85:1 and when they are on another planet it goes to 2.35:1.

I'm on the third episode and it feels like they haven't missed a step. I'm enjoying it.
Yeah, it seems all the Roberta .... oops (looks around nervously) Bobbie story line is in a different aspect ratio. Also the Bobbie story line is not from the novels, but from the novella "Gods of Risk".
WARNING! The following link may contain spoilers.
https://expanse.fandom.com/wiki/Gods_of_Risk
Old 12-15-19, 09:59 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 487 Likes on 286 Posts

That was a great season. I burned through it, and I can’t believe I have to wait for the resolution to that cliffhanger! I might have to just buy the books at this point.
Old 12-15-19, 10:42 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 29 Likes on 19 Posts

I am only 2 episodes in, great so far. Man, in the first episode
Spoiler:
when Avasarala says "Holden, don't put your dick in it, its fucked enough already" and then Amos looks up and says "that's good advice", I laughed pretty hard. Especially at Holden's expression.

Old 12-15-19, 02:20 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 59 Likes on 47 Posts

My major takeaway from this season is boredom. The conflict on the planet? A couple of episodes ok, but the whole season watching angry, stupid people shoot at each other? This shouldn't have been the season-long plot. I don't care about Avasarala's political woes, and only a little about Bobbie being maneuvered into being a criminal. We could be exploring the universe in the Rocinante and instead we're stuck on a single planet in what looks like a budget-preserving version of the infamous BBC backlot.

Then there's the writers getting stupid about physics. No, you can't just pull a plate up against a wall and expect to be sealed against an ocean of water. Even if you could, the wall itself isn't perfectly smooth, so the ocean will drown them because it would be coming in through the rather large channels in the external walls. Naomi is dying in a 1G environment but somehow survives a rocket launch with no ill effects?
Old 12-15-19, 05:57 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 134 Likes on 97 Posts

Gotta be careful with these threads with binge shows now. I’ve only watched the first ep, but it was good to get back into the story. I wish we’d been given more background on the two ships and the people that went to the planet. I guess the main guy with a leg issue is private security to support the medical/science ship!

Also, this show looked good before, but 4K HDR makes it look even better!
Old 12-15-19, 05:57 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 90 Likes on 77 Posts

Awesome season, loved every minute of it that I ended up binging it all in a few days and now have an extremely long wait for the next.
Old 12-15-19, 09:22 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 280 Likes on 233 Posts

Folks, if the current season goes on sale can someone please make a note of it in this thread instead of, or at least in addition to one of the other threads devoted to streaming bargains? I just want to make sure I do not miss the chance to buy the season. Thanks in advance!
Old 12-16-19, 11:33 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 445 Likes on 312 Posts

I binged 7 episodes over the weekend. I'm digging it so far, but I do sorta agree with randian's post above, as when we left off with season 3, we had a promise of unlimited locations and adventures, but instead we get trapped on this one boring (albeit, interestingly mysterious) planet, and not much else going on with the side-stories.
Old 12-16-19, 12:49 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 487 Likes on 286 Posts

I did not expect the whole season to be on that planet, and personally I didn't like the election plot too much, but it still feels well put together. I'm still just as curious about the proto-molecule storyline, but I'm sad that Miller might be gone.
Old 12-17-19, 12:33 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

This season turned out better than I expected. The book was IMO the weakest so far and I really didn't think it would translate to the screen. They cut away a lot of the slow moving drama and kept the overall plot and events. The books are written in a first person and each chapter is from the POV of the primary character, much like Game of Thrones. The show does away with that and just focuses on the Roci crew for the most part. In the books Elvi and Basia were two of the primaries and only had a small part on the tv show.

I think next season will be much better, if the books are any indication.
Old 12-20-19, 10:34 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 87 Likes on 64 Posts

This season was fantastic. The only negative I can think of was that last episode makes you want more. They are in the middle of shooting season 5 so hopefully we won't be waiting as long for the following season.
Old 12-23-19, 03:00 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Short Wired article + chat.

https://www.wired.com/story/the-expa...as-never-seen/
Old 12-23-19, 11:53 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,020 Likes on 630 Posts

Just finished binging this over the last few days. I thought it was great. Maybe not as good as season 3, but I still really liked it.

At first I was somewhat disappointed that the Rocinante crew was stuck on the one planet the whole time, but the other stories (Bobbie on Mars, and Drummer and Ashford cruising around in their ship) helped to keep the focus from being too narrow.

I was really sorry that Ashford died because David Strathairn is always fantastic. I'm glad that Drummer is still out there, at least.

I really loved Amos this season, though it sucked that in the end he had to kill his girlfriend. He was already kind of fucked in the head and I fear this will not help.

How old is Naomi supposed to be? The actress is in her early thirties. Naomi's son looked at least in his late teens.

Can't wait for season 5!
Old 12-24-19, 01:27 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 90 Likes on 77 Posts

Originally Posted by Cellar Door
The actress is in her early thirties. Naomi's son looked at least in his late teens.
If she had him when she was 17, he could be 17 and she would be 34.
Old 12-26-19, 07:20 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 917 Likes on 677 Posts

Rather than bumping an old thread, I'll use this one.

Started up this show last weekend and binged a good bit. I'm half way through season two. Great show so far; although the two actors I was really happy to see in the show are gone. D:

Glad I waited so I could binge this quickly. It's a great show to go back to back.
Old 12-28-19, 09:22 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 134 Likes on 97 Posts

Just finished the season. I agree season 3 was better, but this season wasn’t bad. I feel like the previous season had more momentum or sense of purpose.

This season felt like it was more of a rearrange the pieces on the board, and setup what’s next.

I definitely get like Ashford was coming to a close after the scene with Drummer and the bottle of alcohol. Speaking of, she’s going to take those terribly since it was her decision. Equally she’ll feel she needs to go after the father/son combo which will put her right in the path of Naomi.

I did feel like the Earth and Mars plots were a bit weak. I didn’t much care, but I think they setup the new order of the solar system for season 5.Hopefully we see Bobby regroup with our quartet next season.

The plant stuff was all a bit meh until the last two episodes. Really sucks about Amos’ girlfriend. I was hoping she’d see right and turn on Mertrie.

Can’t wait for season 5! Here’s hoping it’s not another year.
Old 12-30-19, 01:01 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

The election stuff I could have done without
Old 12-31-19, 12:36 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 383 Likes on 244 Posts

Originally Posted by spainlinx0
I downloaded the 4K UHD version to my phone so I can watch on my commute. It's weird. The show seems to be in 2 different aspect ratios. When they are in space, it's 1.85:1 and when they are on another planet it goes to 2.35:1.

I'm on the third episode and it feels like they haven't missed a step. I'm enjoying it.
That's actually intentional. One "day" on Ilus is approximately 30 standard hours, which is 25% longer than an Earth Day. Corey explains in one of the appendices that the exo-solar worlds eventually switch over to 24h timekeeping to "break" from Earth/Mars/Belt, requiring each of them adopt longer/shorter seconds to ensure that 60 of them per local minute, an 60 of those per local hour, adds up right. When showing action on Ilus, increasing the length of a second by 25% results in the number of scanned pixels per second also increasing by 25%. Since the # of lines on your screen is fixed, increasing the # of pixels per second (for a fixed pixel size) results in more pixels per line. Your screen does not support 2.31:1 (which would be a true 25% increase), so it goes with the closest thing, 2.35:1.

Be glad they're not shooting scenes from Jupiter. The 10h local "day" would result in a 0.78:1 aspect ratio. Lol.

Spoiler:
j/k

Last edited by kenbuzz; 12-31-19 at 12:41 PM.
Old 01-02-20, 06:55 AM
DVD Talk Legend

How much trouble will I have jumping into Book 5 after only seeing the series? Finished up S4 last night and I don't want to wait to get more of the story.
Old 01-02-20, 10:06 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Noonan
How much trouble will I have jumping into Book 5 after only seeing the series? Finished up S4 last night and I don't want to wait to get more of the story.
Probably not much. I would be more concerned with missing the previous books. There are differences, especially season 4 and the books are great in their own right.
Old 01-02-20, 10:07 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Ayre
Probably not much. I would be more concerned with missing the previous books. There are differences, especially season 4 and the books are great in their own right.
I did order the full series but I was hoping to not have to read the first 4 to begin with. I would want to go back and read them after though.

Maybe I'll see if any sites list out differences between the two to help prepare.
Old 01-02-20, 11:44 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 383 Likes on 244 Posts

Just binged S4, wrapping it up last night. Had the captions on for the entire run because of the dialects, most notably Belter, and to pick up on anything that I might have missed.

Today at work, a, "Ya Bossmang" slipped out before I caught myself. Bossmang and I had a nice chuckle, because he recognized where that came from.
Old 01-02-20, 12:10 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by kenbuzz
Just binged S4, wrapping it up last night. Had the captions on for the entire run because of the dialects, most notably Belter, and to pick up on anything that I might have missed.

Today at work, a, "Ya Bossmang" slipped out before I caught myself. Bossmang and I had a nice chuckle, because he recognized where that came from.
Spoiler:
Pour out a 40 for our boy Klaes.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.