DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   TV Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk-14/)
-   -   The Conners (ABC) Season 2 Thread (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk/648739-conners-abc-%97-season-2-thread.html)

Daytripper 09-27-19 10:47 PM

The Conners (ABC) Season 2 Thread

I thought the Season 2 premiere was pretty good. Save for the scene where that woman came to the Conner's house about Harris selling her son a pot cookie. Kind of dumb. Especially going into the house to take something worth $200. I like seeing the reoccurring supporting characters now and then from the original "Roseanne". Bev, Crystal, Chuck, Anne-Marie. Would really like to see Nancy again. I'm guessing Arnie is out of the question. I hope this show continues to do well enough in the ratings to be around for a little while. I'm really enjoying it. And last, I want that Lobo Lounge shirt that Dan was wearing!

Daytripper 10-02-19 07:59 PM

Re: The Conners (ABC) Season 2 Thread

Thanks Mods for changing the title. Was going to ask if you could do that. Really enjoyed episode #2 as well this week. Jackie's obsession with Ben is fucking hilarious. Getting lost in thought talking about his beard. And the look she gave him when he said Beverly Rose had her eyes. Metcalf truly is a talented comedic actress. Did anyone else recognize Meagan Fay playing Austin's grandmother? She played Kathy Bowman on the original "Roseanne". The snooty stick up her ass next door neighbor and mom of DJ's best friend.

bluesix 10-02-19 08:13 PM

Lecy Goransen continues to be the best thing on this show! I hope they continue to give her a decent storyline where she is more than just second fiddle to Darlene. Love the scenes with her baby when she is alone and her apology to her in the opening episode was heartbreaking.

The writers must know what a great actress she is. I hope they give her more to chew on.

I'd love to see her character fall off the wagon and get her baby taken away from her but I doubt the writers are that daring to go there on a sitcom.

Daytripper 10-02-19 08:21 PM

Originally Posted by bluesix (Post 13617663)
Lecy Goransen continues to be the best thing on this show! I hope they continue to give her a decent storyline where she is more than just second fiddle to Darlene. Love the scenes with her baby when she is alone and her apology to her in the opening episode was heartbreaking.

The writers must know what a great actress she is. I hope they give her more to chew on.

I'd love to see her character fall off the wagon and get her baby taken away from her but I doubt the writers are that daring to go there on a sitcom.

I so agree with you about Goransen. She's my favorite. I love the look she gives people sometimes before she says something. And is it me or does Fishman seem less wooden this season? And sporting a stylish haircut too.

Paff 10-02-19 08:30 PM

Lecy had great delivery of a line in the premiere, that won't seem funny at all when it's typed out, but I'll do it anyway.

Darlene: Harris was premature, and she turned out fine
Becky: No she didn't!

Matto1020 10-03-19 08:51 AM

Originally Posted by Daytripper (Post 13617657)
Thanks Mods for changing the title. Was going to ask if you could do that. Really enjoyed episode #2 as well this week. Jackie's obsession with Ben is fucking hilarious. Getting lost in thought talking about his beard. And the look she gave him when he said Beverly Rose had her eyes. Metcalf truly is a talented comedic actress. Did anyone else recognize Meagan Fay playing Austin's grandmother? She played Kathy Bowman on the original "Roseanne". The snooty stick up her ass next door neighbor and mom of DJ's best friend.

KATHY BOWMAN!!! That's where I recognized her from! It was bugging me all night!

GuessWho 10-03-19 09:52 AM

I guess Jerry Garcia Conner is still fishing in Alaska. ;)

Double_Oh_7 10-03-19 11:06 AM

Originally Posted by GuessWho (Post 13617896)
I guess Jerry Garcia Conner is still fishing in Alaska. ;)

Along with Jackie's son, Andy -rolleyes-

jacob_b 10-03-19 12:01 PM

Originally Posted by Double_Oh_7 (Post 13617941)
Along with Jackie's son, Andy -rolleyes-

Curious if they can't get the actors from Jackie's past or what the issue is on that one.

DWilson 10-03-19 01:11 PM

I never watched the original show, though I have a general knowledge of it. Don't know anything about these two kids, -how old would they be in this time-frame?

Paff 10-03-19 01:24 PM

Originally Posted by DWilson (Post 13618011)
I never watched the original show, though I have a general knowledge of it. Don't know anything about these two kids, -how old would they be in this time-frame?

The show went off the air in 1997. Even if both kids were born the day of the final episode, they'd be 22 now.

GuessWho 10-03-19 02:05 PM

Originally Posted by DWilson (Post 13618011)

Jerry was born on Halloween 1995, would be 24 later this month.
https://roseanne.fandom.com/wiki/Jerry_Conner

Jackie's son Andy was born in a March 1994 episode and would be 25 now.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...93%E2%80%9394)

windom 10-03-19 03:05 PM

I may have missed some lines but did Jackie mention anything to Becky about how it went when she gave birth?

Double_Oh_7 10-03-19 09:56 PM

Originally Posted by jacob_b (Post 13617978)
Curious if they can't get the actors from Jackie's past or what the issue is on that one.

What actors? She broke up with her baby daddy... he was long gone by the end of the show. And Metcalf's own baby played Andy. You don't need any of them anyway. Just say he's overseas or something, but it's bizarre to not mention him at all.

Coral 10-03-19 10:44 PM

I suspect The Conners no longer acknowledge Jerry's existence even though he was mentioned in the Roseanne revival, and Jackie's kid was never going to exist in either revival.

I think Jackie having a kid (even if the kids was just living elsewhere) would make her seem less pathetic, which is not what they wanted for her character. Which also explains why she's still not married. It would be ridiculous if they only started mentioning the kid now since he would've realistically been brought up at some point many in the previous 2 revival seasons. We've seen that happen in other shows (ie. Cosby's oldest daughter) and it was dumb then as well.

Josh-da-man 10-03-19 10:50 PM

Originally Posted by GuessWho (Post 13618039)
Jerry was born on Halloween 1995, would be 24 later this month.
https://roseanne.fandom.com/wiki/Jerry_Conner

Jackie's son Andy was born in a March 1994 episode and would be 25 now.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...93%E2%80%9394)

If we're using that scale, though, Harris still wouldn't be in high school unless she's been held back a lot.

GuessWho 10-03-19 10:52 PM

Jackie having a kid (even if the kids was just living elsewhere) would make her seem less pathetic, which is not what they wanted for her character. Which also explains why she's still not married.
Unless they reference some tragic death in his young/teenage years as the point where she went kinda crazy afterwards..

Josh-da-man 10-04-19 08:09 PM

Maybe Jackie and Andy are estranged, like he went to live with Fred at some point.

mickey65 10-05-19 06:51 AM

This show is actually pretty good and I'm not missing Roseanne at all. Looks like Darlene is in a big mess. I'm sort of feeling that Ben's time is limited on the show now. He's going to move away with out her and she'll take back up with David - who will be back to being a regular on the show (now that Big Bang Theory has been cancelled).

barelypure 10-05-19 11:18 AM

Originally Posted by mickey65 (Post 13618876)
This show is actually pretty good and I'm not missing Roseanne at all. Looks like Darlene is in a big mess. I'm sort of feeling that Ben's time is limited on the show now. He's going to move away with out her and she'll take back up with David - who will be back to being a regular on the show (now that Big Bang Theory has been cancelled).

If they keep Ben and he and Jackie become an item making it even more awkward at family gatherings would be the easy way out and give more ideas for creative.

Daytripper 10-08-19 10:46 PM

I thought this week's episode was great. It was both funny and very sweet. And I love Katey Sagal. I hope she becomes a weekly regular as Dan's new mate.

Josh-da-man 10-09-19 04:19 AM

Dan Conner and Peg Bundy hooking up... :lol:

I actually think the show is a vast improvement without Roseanne. Without her sitting in the kitchen popping off one-liners, it really lets the other characters, esp. Darlene and Becky, to stand on their own. With Roseanne around, it felt like they were still "kids" even though they're both middle-aged and Darlene had two kids of her own.

Really, this is the best the show has been since the early seasons of Roseanne.

mwbmis 10-09-19 07:14 AM

While the character was effective in the original run, Roseanne herself was never much of an actress. Twenty years later without any additional acting jobs, whatever storytelling skills she had before weren't really there any longer. It's one thing for Michael Fishman to not be able to act (he's more or less a continuity extra with couple lines a week); it's quite another for the central character to be that bad. Last year the show struggled a little at the start because it was a big unexpected change.. This year it's hit the ground running.

I haven't really watched traditional situation comedies in years. I watched the first reboot season primarily for nostalgia reasons and idle curiosity. Now, I'm watching the show because I like it. Goodman is such a pro.

Edit to add...the one thing about the show that isn't really working for me is Jackie, and it pains me to say it because I know Metcalf is a good actress. The character is just too broad. I see and understand what they are trying to do; Jackie is broken and overcompensating for Roseanne's absence, but Jackie isn't a real person right now; she's a clown. They need to dial the character down a notch or two.

GuessWho 10-09-19 12:27 PM

now that Big Bang Theory has been cancelled
There's a big difference between ending by choice and being cancelled.

Coral 10-09-19 12:49 PM

Originally Posted by Josh-da-man (Post 13620935)
Dan Conner and Peg Bundy hooking up... :lol:

I actually think the show is a vast improvement without Roseanne. Without her sitting in the kitchen popping off one-liners, it really lets the other characters, esp. Darlene and Becky, to stand on their own. With Roseanne around, it felt like they were still "kids" even though they're both middle-aged and Darlene had two kids of her own.

When the show came back, it was hard to believe Dan would still want to be with someone like Roseanne. In a similar way that I wonder why Carrie would be with Doug on King of Queens or George being with a number of women on Seinfeld (both mainly for the big difference in attractiveness though) - I ask that about Dan with Roseanne. He's not a hunk, although I think he's a better looking person than her - but for him to want to be with someone so annoying and off-putting all these years stretches plausibility. The bar chick (aka Peggy Bundy) seems to be a MUCH nicer person for Dan. It's an actual relationship I can root for.