Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

Do you like self contained procedural-type episodes? (Yes/No)

TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV
View Poll Results: Do you enjoy self contained, plot of the week, procedural type shows?
Yes
36.00%
No
36.00%
Sometimes, but it really depends on what the premise is
28.00%
Voters: 25. You may not vote on this poll

Old 06-25-19, 05:49 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,634 Likes on 2,607 Posts

There seems to be a general dislike or disinterest in this forum for self contained, plot of the week, crime of the week, mystery of the week, monster of the week, procedural episodes in this forum.

I know in general there are way too many fucking shows on TV and most of you simply don't have a lot of time to watch most of them.

But, I would really like to know why you just don't like this type of format? Because it's just too predictable and not smart enough TV for you? Do you just have to weave out this type of show because there is too many of them? Or do you simply prefer serialized type shows that are grittier and darker?

Or have you simply grown bored and tired of it and they never add anything new to the format that makes it fresh or interesting enough for you?

I thought The Rookie on ABC and FBI on CBS were some of the best new shows last season and yes they were procedurals. But, I'm guessing a lot here never bothered with them.
Old 06-25-19, 05:55 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 162 Likes on 124 Posts
Re: Do you like self contained procedural-type episodes? (Yes/No)

I grew up reading comics, I like serialized continuity. I remember how Fringe started out vs how it was at the end of the 1st season and going forward and the show was like night and day to me.
Old 06-25-19, 06:22 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 188 Likes on 105 Posts

I guess I'd have to say sometimes, as some of my favorite sci-fi shows, Star Trek and the X-Files, were mostly procedural. I much prefer the monster-of-the-week X-Files episodes to the ongoing alien abduction plot, which grew to be way too convoluted and tedious.
Old 06-25-19, 06:45 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,151 Likes on 900 Posts

I like some procedural type shows. I like things like the various Law & Order shows once in a while and am a big fan of the various Star Trek shows.
Old 06-25-19, 06:49 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,365 Likes on 927 Posts

I have zero problem with them. I've watched many of them. Currently FBI, The Rookie, in the past, stuff like L&O, Numbers and many others. What I do have a problem with, is taking a source material that is better suited to a shorter season, and serial seasons.
Old 06-25-19, 06:53 PM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,173 Likes on 4,202 Posts

I don't watch shows like that and haven't in years (last one I watched was CSI in the early 2000's). I won't go as far as saying that I never would, but as of now I don't watch them so I have to answer "No"
Old 06-25-19, 06:53 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 33 Likes on 32 Posts

Always prefer serialized shows. If it's a procedural, I prefer it to have some sort of overall arc as well, i.e. iZombie. Even Elementary tends to have a somewhat loose arc every season. But those are both ending. Blacklist and Blindspot are also examples of a procedural/serialized mix I can enjoy. But just straight up L&O/CSI-type stuff isn't for me. I watched Castle for maybe 3 seasons but got bored with it.

Even with X-Files, I know I'm in the minority, but the conspiracy plot always intrigued me more than the case of the week.
Old 06-25-19, 07:17 PM

Received 4,558 Likes on 3,093 Posts

I’ve never been into them. The last one I had any connection to was Lethal Weapon, but I dropped it early in the second season. And that was before all the drama with the show. They just getting boring and repetitive.

They’re disposable fluff. In this day and age of peak TV, stuff like that is not something I want to waste my time on. This also ties into me essentially cutting out most network TV in general.

I’ve never seen a single episode of L&O, CSI, NCIS, etc. No desire whatsoever.
Old 06-25-19, 08:26 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,151 Likes on 900 Posts

Sometimes I like a procedural show for the fact that they don’t require a commitment to necessarily watch in a certain order or keep up with them.

Serialized shows are either great or can get to be a chore. I’ve actually found myself dropping a lot of serialized shows for the fact that if I drop off for a while and they stack up I don’t find the time to go back.
Old 06-25-19, 08:47 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

Generally I shy away from them, but I wouldn't completely rule them out
Old 06-25-19, 09:00 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 478 Likes on 350 Posts

Most of my favorite episodes of Castle and Bones are self-contained, one off episodes.
Old 06-26-19, 05:36 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 87 Likes on 66 Posts

I don't have a problem with procedural shows as a concept, only the fact that most of them are really bland and boring, doing the same things over and over again, with only a tiny amount of character growth/development and/or consequences, if any at all.
FBI, The Rookie, L&O, Hawaii Five-O, NCIS, Bones, Blue Bloods, etc, etc.: Fucking yawn.
Old 06-26-19, 06:30 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 324 Likes on 242 Posts

Thing is, the majority of procedurals on TV these days STILL have serialization to them, so I don't have a problem with the ones I like...as long as the characters grow over time and things that happen in episodes don't conflict with character traits that have been established in earlier episodes. I'm hard pressed to think of any TV series now that isn't somewhat serialized (other than anthology shows)...even half hour sitcoms seem to have some sort of callbacks to earlier shows/character arcs. Compare that to some of the shows in the 70s and 80s, where there was zero connection to plots from episode to episode.
Old 06-26-19, 05:00 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,015 Likes on 839 Posts

Depends on the show. I liked Castle and Scorpion when they were on, but didn’t mind missing an episode because it was rarely critical. Even The Good Wife had a bit of a Case of the Week feel.

When I’m choosing an older show to catch up on, however, I never pick an episodic procedural.

ETA: I just reread the OP and remembered that I need to finish off The Rookie.
Old 06-26-19, 05:11 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 90 Likes on 77 Posts

I tend to enjoy more serialized shows with an overarching story rather than episodic procedurals.

I don't think I'm watching anything not serialized at the moment.
Old 06-27-19, 11:14 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 263 Likes on 191 Posts

I like them but I like the others as well. So I probably should have voted it sometimes...