TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Big Little Lies (HBO) -- Season 2 Thread -- premieres 6/9/19

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-19, 08:09 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 293 Likes on 213 Posts
Re: Big Little Lies (HBO) -- Season 2 Thread -- premieres 6/9/19

Originally Posted by JeffTheAlpaca
Maybe that ending sets up for season 3 if they do one.

Spoiler:
So the Zoe Kravitz character broke and the other ladies will confirrm she murdered him?
So, if there is another season, it will be another mostly court room story line. To show how broken Bonnie is. With her abusive past, etc. I can see HBO wanting for this to continue. Especially since the ratings were bigger this season. With the right writers and possibly Jean-Marc Vallee back in the director's seat full time, not an editor, I'd give it a shot.
Old 07-25-19, 05:50 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 90 Likes on 70 Posts

I thought it was a really strong Season 2, but that finale was a total dud. I hate that this happens in TV and Movies as so many of them just can't stick the landing, and you just don't care about what comes next. I think they did a great job with the micro story this season and dealing with the issue of 'abuse' with the different characters. But they dropped the ball on the macro story as the 'murder investigation' was just one big tease to get another season.
Old 07-26-19, 06:22 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 90 Likes on 70 Posts

Originally Posted by DJariya
sometimes I question why I still hang out here where it seems like this forum is barely hanging on by a thread. Or most of the posters here simply are too lazy to share their thoughts anymore.
I agree, but the problem with TV discussion in 2019 is binge watching and the 'Season' Threads. For example, I binged the show in the past 2 weeks, so I couldn't talk about each episode week to week with you guys. Since I got behind, I didn't venture in this thread because I feared any spoilers as I knew many people were ahead of me. If we went back to 'episode' threads, then I would have commented after everyone with no worries of spoilers. Now I understand that this forum doesn't get as much traffic as it did years ago so 99% of the shows don't get an episode thread like Game of Thrones or The Walking Dead, but it's a big reason why I don't comment until I finish watching the show. I did the same for Stranger Things as I didn't venture into the Season 3 thread until I finished the whole season.
Old 07-28-19, 04:25 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 293 Likes on 213 Posts

https://www.yahoo.com/entertainment/...160054049.html
Old 12-09-19, 10:48 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 195 Likes on 157 Posts

When I started watching season 1, I couldn't wait to get to the next episode. But season one, like the book, was kind of a closed loop that didn't require a second season. I thought this season of television kind of bore that out. Sure there were some fun moments, but it all felt so unnecessary. I had to make myself watch the last few episodes
Old 04-29-20, 02:12 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 274 Likes on 202 Posts

Blasted through the 2 seasons of this and thought it was fantastic. Incredible acting by most involved. Streep as usual was great and I have to admit I was hoping she would be offed at the end.

Dern really shined in season 2. I don't know what awards were won etc but she earn a supporting actress emmy for sure.
Old 04-29-20, 02:22 PM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,305 Likes on 4,312 Posts

Originally Posted by d2cheer
Blasted through the 2 seasons of this and thought it was fantastic. Incredible acting by most involved. Streep as usual was great and I have to admit I was hoping she would be offed at the end.

Dern really shined in season 2. I don't know what awards were won etc but she earn a supporting actress emmy for sure.
Season 2 will be eligible for Emmys this Summer. It just missed the cutoff for last season - and that was probably intentional as it will be competing in the Best Drama Series categories instead of Limited Series where it competed and cleaned up for Season 1, and HBO didn't want it running against GoT. For the first season, Dern won Best Supporting Actress, Skarsgard won for Supporting Actor, Kidman won for Best Actress (Reese was also nominated), and the series (and EP Reese) won for Best Limited Series.

I would expect Dern and Streep to battle for Best Supporting Actress in a Dramatic Series. Not sure if it will be in the mix in any other categories this year.
Old 04-29-20, 11:01 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 66 Likes on 55 Posts

I recently bought the DVD set for this (since DISH dropped HBO on my TV), and really enjoyed it. Of course the first season was a little better, but season 2 held up pretty well - after the slow start from the first episode.
Old 04-29-20, 11:48 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 277 Likes on 209 Posts

Originally Posted by d2cheer
The award she won was playing the exact same character in Marriage Story and winning an Oscar.