DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   TV Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk-14/)
-   -   America's Got Talent (NBC) -- Season 14 Thread -- premieres 5/28/19 (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk/647750-americas-got-talent-nbc-season-14-thread-premieres-5-28-19-a.html)

dex14 05-28-19 06:58 AM

America's Got Talent (NBC) -- Season 14 Thread -- premieres 5/28/19

https://cimg4.ibsrv.net/gimg/dvdtalk...e73d7b03c7.jpg

<iframe width="676" height="380" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/kcAWdel032U" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

"AMERICA'S GOT TALENT"

"AUDITIONS 1" ORIGINAL

05/28/2019 (08:00PM - 10:01PM) (Tuesday) : Summer's #1 show, "America's Got Talent," returns with Simon Cowell and Howie Mandel joined by new judges Gabrielle Union and Julianne Hough alongside new host Terry Crews. In the season premiere, variety acts of all types and contestants of all ages audition for the chance to win the $1 million prize. The Golden Buzzer is back giving five lucky acts the chance to go directly to the live shows at the Dolby Theatre in Los Angeles to compete for America's vote. TV-PG DL

Michael Corvin 05-28-19 08:56 PM

Re: America's Got Talent (NBC) -- Season 14 Thread -- premieres 5/28/19

Watched the first hour. Union and Hough are pretty reserved compared to Mel and Heidi. Hopefully they open up up some more as the season gets rolling. #BuzzerBadass was pretty funny. Terry Crews had more enthusiasm, charisma and charm in the first 10 minutes than Tyra did in an entire season. She won't be missed.

As for the acts... First hour was decent. I wasn't too hip on Shin Lim 2.0. Something about that act was very hokey. Seemed like a lot of store bought trickery in the table and cards and less traditional slight of hand trickery. I hate dance acts, but the Mumbai group was pretty good. The different culture, music and style helped them stand out. The other memorable one was Sophie? Sophia? The girl who sang about being bullied. Powerful song from someone so young. Not the strongest musically or vocally, but the content carried her through.

fiver 05-28-19 10:39 PM

I assume this will be up on Hulu tomorrow. I know I won't miss Mel B or Heidi, but I don't know the background of these two new judges. Are they likely to be good additions?

DWilson 05-28-19 11:39 PM

Originally Posted by fiver (Post 13557025)
I assume this will be up on Hulu tomorrow. I know I won't miss Mel B or Heidi, but I don't know the background of these two new judges. Are they likely to be good additions?

Julianne Hough is a terrific dancer, -she joined "Dancing With The Stars" in it's fourth season, and won (with her celeb partner) her first two seasons. She eventually returned to the show as a judge for several seasons. She's also a singer and actress, appearing in the "Footloose" remake and "Rock of Ages" and some Nicholas Sparks adaptation.

Bill Needle 06-11-19 10:01 PM

The guy in the animal outfits was probably the funniest thing on the show in years. Of course Howie was the only one who saw it for what it was, though Simon was finally won over. I told the wife that I guess they needed to save room for another 13 year old singer, and guess who is up next? A 13 year old singer. If we weren't watching it live she wouldn't have believed I hadn't seen it already.

I used to set the show above other similar shows because it wasn't just another parade of singers and they gave some credit for originality and outside the box thinking. I also was glad they dumped the two middle judges, but the new ones are honestly no better. The show has fully devolved into being just another trite and predictable piece of over-produced garbage where having a story (no matter how flimsy and embellished) counts more than actual talent. What a shame.

JeffTheAlpaca 06-12-19 05:34 AM

Terry Crews should host the Oscars

I wonder how long these guys will last?

whotony 06-21-19 03:36 PM

The coconuts guys were pretty terrible. He clearly has a see thru mask.

im just catching up on the last two eps.
i just watched the Animal Guy in his walrus costume.
He did this on The Gong Show too.
That Guy is defiance of the funniest acts this show has ever had.

They need to figure out a way to bring him back.

I really liked the magician that opened that episode too.
Was a pretty standard act with the appearing Beer glasses hpbut he has a great stage presence.

Ep 3 was a great one. The Japanese woman dancer was a riot.

Michael Corvin 06-23-19 06:52 PM

Man, the fourth episode was pretty strong. Sos Petrosyan, thecard magician who had the Linkin Park backing track was pretty entertaining. Adem Show (the Mortal Kombat dance contortionists) were also very cool. The poodle act was entertaining enough for one round at least. Then there were a few terrible joke acts but where the episode really shone was musicians:

Ansley Burns - the young girl Simon cut off doing Aretha and had to go acapella
Marcin - Amazing guitarist in the vein of Rodrigo y Gabriela
Voices of Service - came on strong but were followed by two even stronger acts later in the episode
Beryam - the beatboxing quartet from France were gold buzzer worthy. That was entertaining as hell.
Detroit Youth Choir - choirs are typically one dimensional (we've had a few decent ones but none unique enough to win) these kids were fun and added something unique to what can typically be pretty by-the-numbers. Totally worthy of the buzzer.

Josh-da-man 06-25-19 10:22 PM

Did they actually give that goofball dancer Julianne's golden buzzer? I was kind of unclear on that; it seemed sort of scripted.

And I'm so bored with those shadow dancers who do stories about soldiers leaving their family to go off to war or show a lifetime in two minutes (shadow is a kid, meets girl, marries her, has kid, that kid grows up, get married, parents are old now). And they found one that managed to combine both of those mawkish plots.

whotony 06-25-19 11:25 PM

They were pretty clear the golden buzzer didn’t count.

I hate thise shadow shows too. Boring.

windom 06-26-19 12:23 AM

I think I hate most of the acts at this point.
1. Shadow performers
2. Kid dancers
3. Choirs
4. Card trick magicians
5. Animal acts
6. "Slowed down" singers
7. Overweight dancers
8. Comedians with some quirk

DWilson 06-26-19 06:38 AM

Originally Posted by Josh-da-man (Post 13569873)
Did they actually give that goofball dancer Julianne's golden buzzer? I was kind of unclear on that; it seemed sort of scripted.

They said a couple of times that the buzzer wasn't official, and maybe they'll stick to that.

Rob V 06-26-19 07:39 AM

Was the virtual reality act a thing worthy of $1M? It certainly didn't translate to anything cool on TV.

Brian Gentz 06-26-19 08:18 AM

Originally Posted by Rob V (Post 13569954)
Was the virtual reality act a thing worthy of $1M? It certainly didn't translate to anything cool on TV.

I'm waiting for it to come out that Simon or some other producer is an investor in their company.

Josh-da-man 06-26-19 02:35 PM

Now that I've seen the whole thing instead of the last half hour or so...

Yeah, the VR thing seemed more like something off of Shark Tank than an actual talent. They were basically selling a product. Kind of baffling to have on a "talent" show. I was also thinking someone has a stake in it.

I thought the singer with the guitar was awful. Just completely boring, like the kind of shit you can hear at any open mic at donut shops and coffee shops all of the country. Getting tired of Simon telling singers to stop singing and pick a different song. Comes off as pre-planned, and makes it seem like they're trying to turn it into American Idol. Especially when they're using to push some doughy, flacid WGWG.

Overall, this has to be the lamest bunch of "talent" they're amassed. Shin Lim 2.0. Bunch of boring singers. Some not ready for primetime comics. More dancing dogs.

Sethward was the most memorable act they've had, and they didn't let him through.

Michael Corvin 06-26-19 09:29 PM

After a decent showing last week, this week was a total dud. I just finished watching and the only two acts I remember are the 10 year old opera girl and the South African choir.

whotony 06-27-19 02:39 PM

Yeah that was a bad ep

whotony 07-10-19 07:36 PM

Ep 7.
Started off awful.

FF’d throughnthe first 20 minutes or so.
The prop comic magician was funny but they never showed the vote so I guess he was out.
The woman tap dancers, whippers and Clackers was great. One of the most original things I’ve seen on the show.

I dislike mentalists. Don’t buy that act even a little bit. I feel like these guys were on Fool Us. Seemed familiar.

Ive started to forward right through all the singers and huge dance/singing groups.

Bill Needle 07-11-19 05:51 PM

Originally Posted by whotony (Post 13576602)
I dislike mentalists. Don’t buy that act even a little bit.

It's because mentalist acts do not require any actual talent to perform.

Ive started to forward right through all the singers huge dance/singing groups.

The bigger an act is the more it returns to the mean. The larger the choir, the more it sounds exactly like every other large choir.

Michael Corvin 07-13-19 10:15 AM

Started episode 7. I enjoyed the Swedish guitarist that sang Imagine. The husband/wife "strength" act was good.

The only other one that seemed interesting so far was:

Ep 7.
Started off awful.

FF’d throughnthe first 20 minutes or so.
The prop comic magician was funny but they never showed the vote so I guess he was out.
The woman tap dancers, whippers and Clackers was great. One of the most original things I’ve seen on the show.

I dislike mentalists. Don’t buy that act even a little bit. I feel like these guys were on Fool Us. Seemed familiar.

You're referring to the Argentinian group, right? Their performance was fantastic, however their outfits and ridiculous makeup clashed with what we were watching. It looked like a typical American dance group appropriating a musical style/dance from another country.

Mentalists were pretty dull. I'm not sure if they were on Fool Us, but Penn & Teller just revealed how some mentalism is done on a recent show. Penn basically called them out too basically saying they hate when those acts come on because there is zero skill involved.

Eric F 07-13-19 11:40 AM

I haven’t watched the show in a while, but I watched this week’s episode and it seems like the standard for getting through to even the first round is way down. Most of the individual singers with instruments are no better than any of the singers I see at local coffee houses or open mics- the Nordic singer who performed Imagine was a prime example of this.

Michael Corvin 07-13-19 04:16 PM

It's just the first round. They're super lenient during the auditions. Most of the "coffee house" acts (and joke acts, and marginal talent) get weeded out pretty quick.

windom 07-13-19 10:04 PM

The new judges are super boring. I know not everyone liked Mel B. and Heidi but at least they brought some personality to the panel and would criticize the acts (esp. Mel B.). Hopefully, they'll be better on the live shows.

mphtrilogy 07-15-19 02:58 PM

Kind of a weak season for sure.. not too many standouts that i can recall.. still a fun show tho...

Michael Corvin 07-15-19 10:10 PM

Yeah, this season is lacking big time.

I gotta say, for all the bitching and moaning about singers, the show would be dreadfully boring without them. Take the last two episodes, basically the most entertaining ones were singers.

Eric F 07-18-19 02:19 PM

Not really digging the show this season. I find most of the singers to be coffee house/open mic quality at best. The show is more interested in building their personal stories then their actual talent.

DWilson 07-18-19 02:25 PM

Originally Posted by Eric F (Post 13580137)
Not really digging the show this season. I find most of the singers to be coffee house/open mic quality at best. The show is more interested in building their personal stories then their actual talent.

No matter the level of the talent, they're always going to sell the personal stories, because in general, that's how these shows work these days.

whotony 07-19-19 06:39 PM

I watched this last night and dont remember anyone from the ep.

I've never seen Hough in anything but DWTS and I have a little bit of a crush on her on this show.

whotony 07-31-19 09:59 AM

Well another terrible episode.

A guy who does terrible voices goes through and a fat guy who runs around banging a tambourine goes through.

At least there was a beautiful red head woman sitting behind Simon to keep me interested during the show.
Thiught she might be Jaime Ray Newman.

DWilson 07-31-19 10:30 AM

Originally Posted by whotony (Post 13586680)

A guy who does terrible voices goes through and a fat guy who runs around banging a tambourine goes through.

I agree that if you analyze each voice they're not all that good, but he certainly knows how to sell it in the moment. The tambourine act I just don't get. Of course, if more of the singers went through, people would be complaining about that, too. I've always look at the acts with the mind-set "Would I pay a premium to see this act" or "Could this act headline a show" (since that's the basis of the series), and I can't say I've seen much (if anything) this season that fits the bill.

Rob V 07-31-19 12:59 PM

The show is fresh out of ideas. Those acts that could headline have been done time and time again... so now it's just good singers or people with a horrible back-story. This is the first season in ages that we've mostly avoided due to the lack of interesting acts.

Goldberg74 07-31-19 10:19 PM

Yup... mostly throw away acts this year.

Only a few bright spots.

Brian Gentz 08-14-19 12:43 PM

I still don't get how guy doing a medley of ok to bad impressions of movie quotes is so impressive to the judges.

Feels like Kodi Lee had this thing won after the first audition episode.

DWilson 08-14-19 01:36 PM

Originally Posted by Brian Gentz (Post 13593440)
I still don't get how guy doing a medley of ok to bad impressions of movie quotes is so impressive to the judges.

Feels like Kodi Lee had this thing won after the first audition episode.

As I've said before I'll give him points for "packaging", -he hits so many so quick that its hard to realize how mediocre they are. I think he creates more of an experience that feeds off the audience's good will toward the films than his actual talent. That being said, I thought last night's performance was his weakest, wasting a lot of time with the "Aliens" material. I thought he'd be called out and I was surprised when the panel seemed delighted.

I'll be curious about this vote, since they're pitting several of their "quirkiest" singers against each other. The "Wild Card" was the least impressive, though I'm glad Simon actually let her finish a song.

JeffTheAlpaca 08-14-19 06:35 PM

Originally Posted by Rob V (Post 13586780)
The show is fresh out of ideas. Those acts that could headline have been done time and time again... so now it's just good singers or people with a horrible back-story. This is the first season in ages that we've mostly avoided due to the lack of interesting acts.

How many other shows have blindfolded Sikhs crushing watermelons with axes?

How far can Bir Khalsa go without getting hurt?

whotony 08-14-19 07:01 PM

The voice guy might be the worst act they have let through the show this far.

The blindfold guy is clearly using a see through blindfold. They are also terrible.

who would pay to see these bits.

Michael Corvin 08-15-19 11:31 AM

We're about 1.5 episodes behind and this season is just hot garbage.

They could honestly just have skipped most of the judge cuts and gone straight to the golden buzzer acts.

I do live the acoustic guitar kid from Poland(?). Dude is phenomenal but I doubt voters would ever vote an instrumentalist to the finals, let alone win.

whotony 08-15-19 04:21 PM

This season is a joke.
That voice guy, who Howie said he has been watching for 20 years, is awful.

Goldberg74 08-16-19 10:44 AM

Originally Posted by DWilson (Post 13593465)
That being said, I thought last night's performance was his weakest, wasting a lot of time with the "Aliens” material.

I laughed my head off when Julianne leaned in to Simon and told him, “it’s Jurassic Park“... I just shook my head.

i do not enjoy his act.

JeffTheAlpaca 08-17-19 09:27 AM

Sophie Pecora a local girl from Danville did not advance