Reload this Page >

America's Got Talent (NBC) -- Season 14 Thread -- premieres 5/28/19

TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Old 05-28-19, 06:58 AM

"AMERICA'S GOT TALENT"

"AUDITIONS 1" ORIGINAL

05/28/2019 (08:00PM - 10:01PM) (Tuesday) : Summer's #1 show, "America's Got Talent," returns with Simon Cowell and Howie Mandel joined by new judges Gabrielle Union and Julianne Hough alongside new host Terry Crews. In the season premiere, variety acts of all types and contestants of all ages audition for the chance to win the $1 million prize. The Golden Buzzer is back giving five lucky acts the chance to go directly to the live shows at the Dolby Theatre in Los Angeles to compete for America's vote. TV-PG DL

Old 05-28-19, 08:56 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Re: America's Got Talent (NBC) -- Season 14 Thread -- premieres 5/28/19

Watched the first hour. Union and Hough are pretty reserved compared to Mel and Heidi. Hopefully they open up up some more as the season gets rolling. #BuzzerBadass was pretty funny. Terry Crews had more enthusiasm, charisma and charm in the first 10 minutes than Tyra did in an entire season. She won't be missed.

As for the acts... First hour was decent. I wasn't too hip on Shin Lim 2.0. Something about that act was very hokey. Seemed like a lot of store bought trickery in the table and cards and less traditional slight of hand trickery. I hate dance acts, but the Mumbai group was pretty good. The different culture, music and style helped them stand out. The other memorable one was Sophie? Sophia? The girl who sang about being bullied. Powerful song from someone so young. Not the strongest musically or vocally, but the content carried her through.
Old 05-28-19, 10:39 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I assume this will be up on Hulu tomorrow. I know I won't miss Mel B or Heidi, but I don't know the background of these two new judges. Are they likely to be good additions?
Old 05-28-19, 11:39 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by fiver View Post
I assume this will be up on Hulu tomorrow. I know I won't miss Mel B or Heidi, but I don't know the background of these two new judges. Are they likely to be good additions?
Julianne Hough is a terrific dancer, -she joined "Dancing With The Stars" in it's fourth season, and won (with her celeb partner) her first two seasons. She eventually returned to the show as a judge for several seasons. She's also a singer and actress, appearing in the "Footloose" remake and "Rock of Ages" and some Nicholas Sparks adaptation.
Old 06-11-19, 10:01 PM
DVD Talk Legend

The guy in the animal outfits was probably the funniest thing on the show in years. Of course Howie was the only one who saw it for what it was, though Simon was finally won over. I told the wife that I guess they needed to save room for another 13 year old singer, and guess who is up next? A 13 year old singer. If we weren't watching it live she wouldn't have believed I hadn't seen it already.

I used to set the show above other similar shows because it wasn't just another parade of singers and they gave some credit for originality and outside the box thinking. I also was glad they dumped the two middle judges, but the new ones are honestly no better. The show has fully devolved into being just another trite and predictable piece of over-produced garbage where having a story (no matter how flimsy and embellished) counts more than actual talent. What a shame.
Old 06-12-19, 05:34 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Terry Crews should host the Oscars

I wonder how long these guys will last?