Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Game of Thrones (S8E05) -- 78 minute episode -- “The Bells” -- 5/12/19

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-19, 05:03 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 395 Likes on 283 Posts
Re: Game of Thrones (S8E05) -- 78 minute episode -- “The Bells” -- 5/12/19

OMFG over 610,000 people have now signed the change.org petition to redo this season... This is so ridiculous.
https://www.change.org/p/hbo-remake-...petent-writers

conversely only one person (E unit I presume) has signed the petition to keep it as it is...
Old 05-16-19, 05:27 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 90 Likes on 77 Posts

I wouldn't mind them returning to re-do the series from where it diverged from the books once the books are completed. Anime has occasionally did that, such as with Fullmetal Alchemist where half way through they passed the manga and came up with an anime-original plot to continue it and then they returned with Fullmetal Alchemist Brotherhood to tell the story based on the manga years later when the manga completed.

But the chances of that happening is almost zero, especially so considering that Martin will likely take another 10 years to complete the books and the actors will have aged considerably in that time.

So what we have here is all that we're getting. If you want a different take: read the books. Stop crying.
Old 05-16-19, 05:29 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,667 Likes on 1,039 Posts

Originally Posted by dvdjunkie32
I wonder if HBO is nervous that the finale will be poor received so this doc a week later will make ppl appreciate the sacrifice. lol
"The Long Night" broke the viewing record for the show. Then a bunch of "fans" got online and bitched that it was too dark and not enough people died. "The Bells" then broke "The Long Night" record. The finale will too. "The fans" are just the ones being vocal and starting petitions. The vast majority of the viewers were just fine with it, I'm sure. And HBO is fine with it too. They've gotten so much publicity about this show that EVERYONE will be tuning in for the last one. And yes, I'm sure "the fans" will be pissed again as they almost always are for some reason or another. HBO is LOVING all of this.

Old 05-16-19, 05:34 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,029 Likes on 848 Posts

I have some issues with the season, but generally I’m fine with it. No, it’s not what it used to be, but that’s the way it goes. At least the recent conversation has been about the story and not TV calibration and coffee cups.
Old 05-16-19, 08:32 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 314 Likes on 201 Posts

Originally Posted by ScHoLaR oF SMuT
arya in the guise of messandie actuallly does not need to convince grey worm or his queen of ANYTHING...she merely has to fuck them up with messandei's face and surprise-shock-and stab the prickless prick to death in order to gain access to killing his queen dani.
Despite some of the cheesy shit the writers have given us the past couple of seasons, the idea that Arya would have somehow obtained Missandei's face as being her "smart" move to get the upper hand on Grey Worm / Dany... would certainly take the cake.
Originally Posted by ScHoLaR oF SMuT
*and make note she is riding BACK to winterfell upon that white steed covered in life blood, dust and ash ALL of which symbolize impending death similar to the white blood and gut splattered horsie depicted in the book of revelations 6:1-2 that the king of the parthians rode when he slaughtered the jews of babylonia..
Old 05-16-19, 08:51 PM
DVD Talk Hero - 2023 TOTY Award Winner

Received 2,174 Likes on 1,223 Posts

Old 05-16-19, 09:29 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Second star to the right and straight on 'til morning.
Received 1,077 Likes on 676 Posts

I just want to send a big thanks to Game of Throne thread regulars and posters. I was THAT person who hadn't seen a frame of this show or really knew anything about it until Season 8 began, all my friends were posting their excitement on Facebook and, finally, after finding a used copy of Season 1-7 on bluray, I started watching.

That was April 22nd. I just finished "The Bells" today.

After watching each ep I'd go into the DVDTalk thread and skim for comments, thoughts, complaints, etc. going alllllll the way back to Season 1/Ep. 1. I didn't post because I didn't want to bump a shit load of threads. Suffice to say, wow, what a journey. I don't know how you all did it having to wait in between seasons or even a week for the next episode.

It was great reading your comments on the show over the last few weeks of binging. Glad I get to watch the finale, at least, as it airs.
Old 05-16-19, 10:19 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by T-bone22
Despite some of the cheesy shit the writers have given us the past couple of seasons, the idea that Arya would have somehow obtained Missandei's face as being her "smart" move to get the upper hand on Grey Worm / Dany... would certainly take the cake.

Mmmmmmmm......pls send me your biggest. fattest, juiciest cut of meat.. *for my husky puppy Stinkadonis, when arya goes bugshit Sunday Bloody Misssundei in the final episode.
hahaa somehow silliness is lovely. from house of stark to king tyril's murderous shit-house, tv-game of thrones shall always have a super special place in my heart for a lifetime

do enjoy the episode sunday! *and remember always take time to stop and enjoy the finer 'cheese' in life

<iframe width="700" height="394" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/TbwroS0YP54" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Old 05-16-19, 11:13 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 585 Likes on 423 Posts

Originally Posted by ViewAskewbian
I just want to send a big thanks to Game of Throne thread regulars and posters. I was THAT person who hadn't seen a frame of this show or really knew anything about it until Season 8 began, all my friends were posting their excitement on Facebook and, finally, after finding a used copy of Season 1-7 on bluray, I started watching.

That was April 22nd. I just finished "The Bells" today.

After watching each ep I'd go into the DVDTalk thread and skim for comments, thoughts, complaints, etc. going alllllll the way back to Season 1/Ep. 1. I didn't post because I didn't want to bump a shit load of threads. Suffice to say, wow, what a journey. I don't know how you all did it having to wait in between seasons or even a week for the next episode.

It was great reading your comments on the show over the last few weeks of binging. Glad I get to watch the finale, at least, as it airs.
Nice! I forget when I started watching, but it was a few seasons in, so I did just what you did. Binged and read the threads. But I caught up at least a season or two ago.
Old 05-16-19, 11:36 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 234 Likes on 167 Posts

If you like the petition now there's a Twitter hashtag #RemakeThe8
Old 05-17-19, 12:02 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 93 Likes on 74 Posts

There are not going to be any remakes and the books, if they ever come out, are not going to deviate from the series ending.

Old 05-17-19, 02:28 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 234 Likes on 167 Posts

I find reading about the fallout as fascinating as the eps themselves.

I myself don't really worked up over TV shows or movies.
Old 05-17-19, 11:10 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 67 Likes on 58 Posts

I wonder if Daenerys' vision in the "House of the Undying" from way back in Season 2 showed her ultimate fate:

- Dany enters the ruined throne room covered in what looks like snow or ashe falling around her and she gets close to the Iron Throne but does not touch it, indicating that she'll never sit on it as a ruler

- Dany then crosses over into the lands beyond the Wall

- Dany enters a tent with Drogo and her child with him, both dead so this vision maybe indicates her own death to join them in the afterlife
Old 05-17-19, 11:35 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 585 Likes on 423 Posts

Originally Posted by dhmac
I wonder if Daenerys' vision in the "House of the Undying" from way back in Season 2 showed her ultimate fate:

- Dany enters the ruined throne room covered in what looks like snow or ashe falling around her and she gets close to the Iron Throne but does not touch it, indicating that she'll never sit on it as a ruler

- Dany then crosses over into the lands beyond the Wall

- Dany enters a tent with Drogo and her child with him, both dead so this vision maybe indicates her own death to join them in the afterlife
Not only that, but the throne room looks destroyed, just like it might "currently" look like after she laid waste to the city.
Old 05-17-19, 11:45 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,958 Likes on 1,516 Posts

Well, that and all the ashes. But I doubt they were thinking that when they made season 2, what's the description like in the books?

I was also thinking that it could symbolize her being close to attacking Kings Landing (and we see here that she would have easily beaten Cersei), then being sidetracked to go up North past the wall because of Jon.

And then it made me thing of how useless the latter part of the last season was. IIRC, Jon and team went up North to capture a wight to prove to Cersei that they were a threat worth uniting for. Dany lost a dragon over it (which of course was turned and roasted the wall). Because Cersei betrayed them anyway, the net of that was what, Jaime coming to fight with them? Man the rewatch after this is all over is going to have me shaking my head over and over, isn't it? Jon Snow and his stupid plans. If he just realized the plot armor he had, he would have known they didn't need Cersei to beat the White Walkers.

Last edited by fujishig; 05-17-19 at 11:51 AM.
Old 05-17-19, 11:47 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 930 Likes on 686 Posts

Originally Posted by fujishig
Well, that and all the ashes. But I doubt they were thinking that when they made season 2, what's the description like in the books?
The warlock Pyat Pree persuades Daenerys Targaryen to seek answers in the House of the Undying. Inside, she passes through many rooms containing visions before she reaches the chamber of the Undying.[2]
  1. A beautiful, naked woman being ravished by four little men who resemble the dwarf servitor.
  2. A feast of slaughtered corpses holding cups, spoons, and food, with a dead man with a wolf's head sitting on a throne wearing an iron crown, apparently foreshadowing the Red Wedding.
  3. Daenerys' childhood home with the red door in Braavos.
  4. A throne room with dragon skulls on the walls where a king resembling Aerys II Targaryen sits on a barbed throne and appears to give the order to burn the Red Keep during the Sack of King's Landing.
  5. A room where a silver-haired man (presumably Rhaegar Targaryen) names his son Aegon, says the child is "the prince that was promised", then plays a harp.
  6. A "splendor of wizards" who falsely claim to be the Undying of Qarth and offer to teach Daenerys the secret speech of dragonkind.
Upon reaching the chamber of the Undying, Daenerys is spoken to in a barely perceptible whisper. The Undying call her "mother of dragons" and "child of three" and tell her some prophesies, saying "three fires must you light... one for life and one for death and one to love... three mounts must you ride... one to bed and one to dread and one to love... three treasons will you know... once for blood and once for gold and once for love..."

The Undying show Daenerys many more visions before attacking her and being slain by Drogon[2]:
  1. Viserys Targaryen's gruesome death.
  2. A tall lord with copper-skin and silver-gold hair beneath a banner of a fiery stallion, with a burning city in the background (this may be a glimpse at what Rhaego's future would have been).
  3. A dying prince (likely Rhaegar Targaryen) mutters a woman's name with his last breath, rubies flying from his chest.
  4. A blue-eyed king who casts no shadow (possibly Stannis Baratheon) raises a red sword in his hand.
  5. A cloth dragon sways on poles amidst a cheering crowd.
  6. A great stone beast takes wing from a smoking tower, breathing shadows.
  7. Daenerys's silver trots through grass to a darkling stream under a sea of stars.
  8. A corpse standing at the prow of a ship with bright eyes and grey smiling lips.
  9. A blue flower growing from a chink in a wall of ice, filling the air with sweetness. (This could indicate Jon Snow's true parentage and potential kinship to Daenerys)
Old 05-17-19, 12:06 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 67 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by fujishig
And then it made me thing of how useless the latter part of the last season was. IIRC, Jon and team went up North to capture a wight to prove to Cersei that they were a threat worth uniting for. Dany lost a dragon over it (which of course was turned and roasted the wall). Because Cersei betrayed them anyway, the net of that was what, Jaime coming to fight with them?
The net of that mission was they discovered that killing a White Walker also killed every Wight that he rose from the dead and they figuring out that killing the Night King would kill the entire army of the dead and was the best strategy to win that war.

(Of course, it would've been better if they found this out in the Season 5 "Hardhome" episode and not needed the ridiculously dangerous "Bring Back a Wight" mission to finally figure it out.)
Old 05-17-19, 12:55 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by jpcamb
OMFG over 610,000 people have now signed the change.org petition to redo this season... This is so ridiculous.

conversely only one person (E unit I presume) has signed the petition to keep it as it is...
850 000+ have signed now. No doubt it passes a million
This petition has been the best and most entertaining thing of this season of GOT
Old 05-17-19, 01:52 PM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 680 Likes on 456 Posts

I think this season is mediocre at best, but that petition is ridiculous. Celebrities mocking the petition on social media are getting slammed. How dare we be allowed to hate their hate!
Old 05-17-19, 04:22 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 244 Likes on 155 Posts

Originally Posted by jpcamb
At this point I'd laugh my ass off if HBO decided to shelve the last episode completely.
Old 05-17-19, 04:53 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,824 Likes on 1,134 Posts

I hope the last scene in the finale is the kid from St. Elsewhere shaking a Snow globe with a destroyed King's Landing in it...
Old 05-17-19, 05:03 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,264 Likes on 842 Posts

I can understand why some obsessive fans who have been consumed by the show for 8+ years would get pissed, but yeah that petition is dumb and will achieve nothing.

Me, I can't claim a long relationship with GOT because I watched seasons 1-7 last year. And with no more book material, after the season 7 silliness, I fully expected much of the same in S8. It's worse, and I bitched about some of it, but I've also learned to lower my expectations. It could end with undead Hodor as the new night king or Bronn sitting on the throne with everybody else dead looking right at the camera saying: "Even better than Lord of Highgarden", and I'd be fine with it.
Old 05-17-19, 05:28 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,264 Likes on 842 Posts

Here's an interesting take on what went wrong in S7-8:

In fact, the souring of Game of Thrones exposes a fundamental shortcoming of our storytelling culture in general: we don’t really know how to tell sociological stories.

At its best, GOT was a beast as rare as a friendly dragon in King’s Landing: it was sociological and institutional storytelling in a medium dominated by the psychological and the individual.
This structural storytelling era of the show lasted through the seasons when it was based on the novels by George R. R. Martin, who seemed to specialize in having characters evolve in response to the broader institutional settings, incentives and norms that surround them.

After the show ran ahead of the novels, however, it was taken over by powerful Hollywood showrunners David Benioff and D. B. Weiss. Some fans and critics have been assuming that the duo changed the narrative to fit Hollywood tropes or to speed things up, but that’s unlikely. In fact, they probably stuck to the narrative points that were given to them, if only in outline form, by the original author. What they did is something different, but in many ways more fundamental: Benioff and Weiss steer the narrative lane away from the sociological and shifted to the psychological. That’s the main, and often only, way Hollywood and most television writers tell stories.
(more)

https://blogs.scientificamerican.com...me-of-thrones/
Edited: And it's that sociological storytelling that makes "The Wire" so great.

Luckily for The Wire, creative control never shifted to the standard Hollywood narrative writers who would have given us individuals to root for or hate without being able to fully understand the circumstances that shape them. One thing that’s striking about The Wire is how one could understand all the characters, not just the good ones (and in fact, none of them were just good or bad). When that’s the case, you know you’re watching a sociological story.
As as the article also points out, a different institution was the main focus of each season.

Last edited by eXcentris; 05-17-19 at 05:47 PM.
Old 05-17-19, 11:55 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Luds
850 000+ have signed now. No doubt it passes a million
Narcotics...it's an ugly thing.
Old 05-18-19, 09:22 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 395 Likes on 283 Posts

seeing the petition is over 966K reminds me of this quote from one of my favorite movies somehow....

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.