Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Cobra Kai (YouTube) -- Season 2 Thread -- premieres 4/24/19

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-19, 07:17 AM

Received 4,584 Likes on 3,103 Posts
Re: Cobra Kai (YouTube) -- Season 2 Thread -- premieres 4/24/19

Originally Posted by DJariya
and who would have guessed that Billy Zabka would be the best actor on this series?
Zabka should be (and I'm sure is) completely in debt to these writers. The stuff he is being given is fantastic.
Old 04-25-19, 09:06 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

First I'm going to start out with a bit of a rant. I was on the other current home media forum browsing around, and it was full of people saying they don't want to pay for YouTube, saying they refuse to watch it if season 1 isn't on Blu-Ray, one guy saying he won't pay for it but he's going to torrent it. Sigh. Guess people need to realize that if you don't pay for a show to watch it when it initially airs, there is no incentive to renew it, and Blu-Ray sales don't matter if people don't get YouTube premium. Morons.

Anyway, I haven't finished yet as I just finished episode 6 because I had to force myself to stop. Really, really enjoying this season so far and it's been fantastic, but I don't want to get into spoiler territory. The only real weakness I see so far is that the show is carried by Zabka and Machio( with Zabka really doing the heavy lifting) and bringing in Martin Kove has been a great addition. The problem is, when it tries to focus on the kids, they just aren't as interesting. The second biggest complaint is it's still painfully obvious that none of the cast have any martial arts experience and it shows in some of the sloppiness of the fight scenes. I can't wait for the next several episodes.
Old 04-25-19, 09:12 AM

Originally Posted by robin2099
The second biggest complaint is it's still painfully obvious that none of the cast have any martial arts experience and it shows in some of the sloppiness of the fight scenes.
That's not exactly true. Some of the kids did have training before they were on the show. Especially the one who plays Hawk. You can definitely tell he is the fastest and most intense. Wait until you see the finale.

Overall, I do agree some of the fights are a little slow and clunky, but it is understandable. This isn't some HK action film.
Old 04-25-19, 12:34 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,640 Likes on 2,613 Posts

First I'm going to start out with a bit of a rant. I was on the other current home media forum browsing around, and it was full of people saying they don't want to pay for YouTube, saying they refuse to watch it if season 1 isn't on Blu-Ray, one guy saying he won't pay for it but he's going to torrent it. Sigh. Guess people need to realize that if you don't pay for a show to watch it when it initially airs, there is no incentive to renew it, and Blu-Ray sales don't matter if people don't get YouTube premium. Morons.
Yup,

Cobra Kai could not have been made without the financial support of YouTube or it's subscribers. One of the creators, Jon Hurwitz, said that on his Twitter feed a year ago when someone asked why do I have to pay to watch this?

There's so much quality shows now than ever before and most of it could not have been made without the support of it's subscribers. People moan and groan about so many freaking streaming services taking all my money. Well, you know, fuck them. That's the world we live in now. If you claim you can't afford $10-11 for a month, you must be doing something wrong with your checkbook. Don't have fast food for a few weeks. Cut back on the Starbucks. There you have the money. If you don't support your favorite content legally, it can't get made. Don't be some entitled dickhead who thinks entertainment should be free.

Anyways, that's my rant.
Old 04-25-19, 12:39 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by candyrocket786
Martin Kove explains it here:
Spoiler:

Yeah, I saw him last summer in Carmel. He is busy promoting Porsches and doing a documentary on his dad.

As for season 2 it felt like a long movie; just like the first. Sort of like a second part of a trilogy. I hope they don't go beyond a third season and just give us a good ending. The only thing I didn't like about is that fat dude. He reminded me of Bulk from Power Rangers. So, fucking irritating.
Old 04-25-19, 01:58 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 78 Likes on 63 Posts

First I'm going to start out with a bit of a rant. I was on the other current home media forum browsing around, and it was full of people saying they don't want to pay for YouTube, saying they refuse to watch it if season 1 isn't on Blu-Ray, one guy saying he won't pay for it but he's going to torrent it. Sigh.
I can imagine being disappointed that this isn't coming to Blu-Ray. And that you can't just watch this on regular network TV, cable, or even Netflix. And that you have to pay for yet another subscription service that might not have any other worthwhile shows on it.
But damn, if you want to see a show that badly, don't you think the people who worked so hard to produce it should be compensated for it?

Guess people need to realize that if you don't pay for a show to watch it when it initially airs, there is no incentive to renew it, and Blu-Ray sales don't matter if people don't get YouTube premium.
Exactly.
Another thing that people don't realize is that some shows like this probably wouldn't have gotten made if the only options were network television and cable.

Yup,
There's so much quality shows now than ever before and most of it could not have been made without the support of it's subscribers.
Totally agree.

People moan and groan about so many freaking streaming services taking all my money. Well, you know, fuck them. That's the world we live in now. If you claim you can't afford $10-11 for a month, you must be doing something wrong with your checkbook.
No, I can definitely sympathize with their overall complaints.
It's weird to see CBS, WarnerBros, and Disney creating their own paid, streaming platforms when they already own television networks and cable channels. If you want to check out these new talked about shows, paying for AmazonPrime, Netflix, Hulu, YouTubePremium, CBS All-Access etc, on top of your cable and internet bill...that adds up.

That's still no excuse to use torrents and cheat the content-creators out of making a living. If you think it's too pricey, simply don't watch it.
But people like that are just looking for an excuse to get something for nothing. Like people who pay to see one movie but then see another one, justifying it because the theater "charges too much for food and drink." If the food was free, they still would've snuck into a 2nd movie.

Last edited by brayzie; 04-25-19 at 05:15 PM.
Old 04-25-19, 02:42 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 230 Likes on 158 Posts

Yeah.. that shit annoys me. I've had YT premium since Season 1 and it's been completely worth it.

I assume these are the same morons that still pirate music.
Old 04-25-19, 05:24 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 731 Likes on 533 Posts

Another solid season filled with even more nostalgia, but in a tasteful, not over the top way. Very interested to see where this heads.
Spoiler:
If Johnny and Daniel can put aside their differences and combine forces to go against Kreese. I don't know how Robbie stays out of juvenille detention after that.
Old 04-25-19, 05:50 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 178 Likes on 111 Posts

I watched the whole thing in one sitting yesterday. I'm still loving the show. My thoughts:

Spoiler:
- The acknowledgment and flashbacks of the other movies in the series. Although I'd like to see more characters from the sequels interact with characters from the original, it was still a nice nod to everyone involved.

-That last episode. So over-the-top, but so much fun. I thought that fight would never end, not that I wanted it to...

-Amanda (Daniel's wife) continues to be the most grounded in reality and I think she's an excellent character. If they do get Elisabeth Shue back, I think Daniel's better off with what he has now and just hope she doesn't cause problems for them. Kinda liked Johnny and Carmen, too, but I don't see how that could work out.

-The OG Cobra Kais made their presence known. They actually made me feel bad for Tommy, which is crazy because depending on him and Dutch, I found them to be insufferable during the original movie. I kind of hope we can see more of Bobby down the line. This was one of my favorite episodes, especially how the Cobra Kais reacted to Johnny working with Kreese. Tommy and Johnny talking at the campfire was bittersweet and one of my favorite scenes. RIP, Tommy. You've got your bodybag.

The scene with Daniel confronting Johnny at his own dojo after the desecration of Miyagi's house was superb. It's the one time in the season I felt Daniel was totally justified with his reaction.

The dinner scenes with Daniel/Amanda/Johnny/Carmen. I thought Daniel and Johnny might actually forge a friendship, but they blew it the very next episode.

Dislikes:

-Daniel was kind of a dick at points during the season, to his wife, his co-worker, and Johnny and Robby at the end. But he wouldn't be Daniel if he didn't have a temper and hardly ever saw things clearly.

-While I enjoyed the Tommy "goodbye" storyline, I hate that we didn't get a reaction from Daniel and Kreese. Johnny just comes home and doesn't talk about it with anyone. Doesn't even tell Kreese one of his former students has died.

-The "takeover" at the end was kind of lame. They could have just written that Terry Silver still owned the copyright to Cobra Kai and had a legal reason for Kreese taking over rather than everyone just turning on Johnny and pushing him out of his own business. It didn't make any sense at all.

The Samantha/Torry feud felt so forced just to give Samantha an adversary. While the actress is cute enough, it was clear during their fight scenes that Peyton List was far more skilled then her.

Overall, I love this show and can't wait to see more. Fantastic show.

As for the future of the show, I don't want a recast of Ali. If they can't get Shue, don't bring her back, but they hinted they might have inked a deal.

Old 04-25-19, 05:57 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by devilshalo
Another solid season filled with even more nostalgia, but in a tasteful, not over the top way. Very interested to see where this heads.
Spoiler:
If Johnny and Daniel can put aside their differences and combine forces to go against Kreese. I don't know how Robbie stays out of juvenille detention after that.
Spoiler:

I think it would hurt the story if Robby doesn't get arrested or incarcerated in some type of juvenile facility.

I agree on the 80s nostalgia. Although I love it, I thought it was a little unrealistic a teenage guy like Miguel would use Roxette's "Listen to Your Heart." No Rihanna or The Weekend? But then I remembered that Johnny got Miguel hooked on 80s music in season 1, so it makes sense.

And I agree with all the praise that Zabka is getting here. The scene where he gets emotional talking about his son, and then at the end...that was very believable.
Old 04-25-19, 09:59 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Finished the season because I really, really wanted to get to episode 10. Overall, I really enjoyed it. If season 1 was a 5/5 for me, then I would give season 2 a 4.5/5. I agree that Zabka really carries this show, but I think that Machio is somewhat being underrated as well. I really buy into them both as well developed characters, with Machio's struggle to try and live up to Mr. Miyagi's legacy, and Johnny seeing the negative effect that Kreese was having on his students. I also appreciate how they still have fun at Johnny's expense and don't try to turn him into a cool guy. For me, the biggest weakness is still the kids, but by the final episode most of them grew on me. Not sure how I feel about Peyton List's character though since she seemed to only exist to be a foil to Samantha. I will give the cast credit too, they really stepped the fight choreography up in episode 10.

Spoiler:
I will say that if they don't bring back Elizabeth Shue, then I think it would be hard to accept seeing that character come back. I also was bummed that Terry Silver or Mike Barnes didn't show up at Cobra Kai.

But man I look forward to a third season. Lots of unresolved questions that I can't wait to see how they decide to answer,
Old 04-26-19, 11:18 AM

Ok, here's a theory about how that character could fit in to Season 3 and a connection to a new Season 2 character...

Spoiler:
<iframe width="676" height="380" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/s7SxX5oa0Kg" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

IDK, about the daughter part... It was said Ali was in Denver. Unless they've moved back? Or there is a different relation, like aunt.
Old 04-26-19, 02:26 PM
DVD Talk Hero

^ Interesting theory....

Of the whole thing, IMO Dmitri is an annoying, mouthy dickhead that doesn't know when to shut up. I get why Hawk got tired of his shit.
Old 04-26-19, 03:38 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

I enjoyed this season as much as the first and this is not a complaint but the entire series is basically a dramatic version of Three's Company, one misunderstanding after the next... And I can't believe I've been the only one to comment on Macchio's Trump comb-over.
Old 04-26-19, 04:45 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Finished last night. Great follow up to the first season.

I hope they make it as a trope of the show to have Daniel and Johnny have a meal somewhere, almost bond, and have everything gained blown to hell the next day.
Old 04-28-19, 06:57 PM
Banned

Received 376 Likes on 295 Posts

I'm watching this and it's sad and awesome at the same time. We have two late-middle aged men replaying their youth. It's both brilliant and tragic.
Old 04-29-19, 11:03 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

this show has to be the most surprising show in history. Who would have thought a movie from the 80s with shitty acting can lead us to them 30 years later and make me give a shit.

this show is so good and worth the subscription.
Old 04-29-19, 11:10 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

oh and some highlights that had me going:

Spoiler:
  • The hilarious part in the last episode when the two little kids got picked up and taken by the principal
  • The older student guy in Cobra Kai.
  • The tension between Johnny and Daniel at Johnny's apartment
  • Teaching the geeky kid all the old methods of Daniel's training

so many more but just a well done show.
Old 04-29-19, 11:36 AM
Banned

Now I have to go and rewatch the 2nd and 3rd movies because I barely remember either of them (other than they sucked).

The more I watch the more I think they're both idiots.

Last edited by Eric F; 04-29-19 at 11:49 AM.
Old 04-29-19, 01:36 PM
DVD Talk God

I agree that 3 sucked for the most part, but it had moments.

But, I totally disagree about 2. It was a good follow up to the 1st movie and I loved the setting in Okinawa, Japan giving some of Miyagi's backstory. Some of that movie was referenced in the show. Part 2 was actually a huge box office hit and made more money than the 1st movie.
Old 04-29-19, 03:50 PM
Banned

But, I totally disagree about 2. It was a good follow up to the 1st movie and I loved the setting in Okinawa, Japan giving some of Miyagi's backstory. Some of that movie was referenced in the show. Part 2 was actually a huge box office hit and made more money than the 1st movie.
I don't really remember it. I'll rewatch them after I grab the 4k UHD of the first one. That's the one where he broke the ice, correct?
Old 04-29-19, 03:55 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by Eric F
I don't really remember it. I'll rewatch them after I grab the 4k UHD of the first one. That's the one where he broke the ice, correct?
Yes
Old 04-29-19, 06:51 PM
DVD Talk Hero

As much as I love KK2, I still have a problem with rewriting Miyagi's history a bit with Yukie still pining after him after he had a wife and child. Unless they got married rather quickly before they both die in childbirth, it made no sense for Yukie to continue waiting if Sato was there.
Old 04-29-19, 10:19 PM
Banned

Just finished it.

Spoiler:
WTF is wrong with that school? Do they not have security? Do they not call the police if multiple-student fights break out?

Last edited by Eric F; 04-29-19 at 10:24 PM.
Old 04-30-19, 12:06 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by devilshalo
As much as I love KK2, I still have a problem with rewriting Miyagi's history a bit with Yukie still pining after him after he had a wife and child. Unless they got married rather quickly before they both die in childbirth, it made no sense for Yukie to continue waiting if Sato was there.
Now you're telling me that Mr. Miyagi had this great love BEFORE he met his other great love who died giving birth? Yeah, right.
And did they forget that Daniel was supposed to be the first non-family member to be taught Miyagi-Do? But now Sato too?
But yeah, still an great sequel. And Kumiko was a better match for Daniel than Ali.

The Karate Kid was like the kid-friendly version Rocky, which itself was a drama.
Then The Karate Kid Pt II turned the story into an over-the-top actioner, much like Rocky IV did the Rocky series.

The only thing I liked was how intense Mike Barnes was as a villain. But everything else about that movie was awful.
​​​​​​​

Last edited by brayzie; 04-30-19 at 12:18 AM.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.