Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Cobra Kai (YouTube) -- Season 2 Thread -- premieres 4/24/19

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-19, 04:02 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 742 Likes on 544 Posts
Re: Cobra Kai (YouTube) -- Season 2 Thread -- premieres 4/24/19

At this point, why not have Chozen come back and try to kill Daniel for dishonoring him in their fight to the death and Johnny has to defend LaRusso. If Chozen hasn't already committed seppuku.
Old 05-01-19, 04:49 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 202 Likes on 135 Posts

I think I'd rather see Hilary Swank fall in love with Kreese.
Old 05-02-19, 07:57 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Finished the last 2 episodes last night. I agree that for the most part it's a great season.

On the down side...

Spoiler:

- the whole Daniel and johnny become pals and 2 seconds later shit hits the fan was already used in S1, now again in S2, let's not make this a seasonal thing. If they team up in S3 let it stick.
- Kreese taking over that way was pretty lame, but for Johnny's storyline it still works.
- The entire 10th episode was stupid. Over the top is a kind way to put it. At this point, Tory and Hawk aren't redeemable characters, they're basically comic book henchmen.

And about S3
Spoiler:

- Ali coming back makes sense in all ways described above, either saving Miguel, being a love interest for either Johnny and/or Daniel, or being related to Tory.
- Robby going to juvy and being a common point where Daniel and Johnny can bond seems like the direction to take
Old 05-02-19, 06:51 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,704 Likes on 2,662 Posts

Old 05-02-19, 08:47 PM

Received 4,658 Likes on 3,153 Posts

Duuuuh.
Old 05-03-19, 12:25 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 292 Likes on 217 Posts

Originally Posted by Eric F
Just finished it.

Spoiler:
WTF is wrong with that school? Do they not have security? Do they not call the police if multiple-student fights break out?
It doesn't seem like the police even exist in the universe this series takes place except when there is a teenage party. No matter where the fights occur, no one thinks to call the police or they are just too busy hanging out at Dunkin Donuts or 7-11.
Old 05-03-19, 05:33 AM

Just finished it.

Spoiler:
WTF is wrong with that school? Do they not have security? Do they not call the police if multiple-student fights break out?
Originally Posted by movieguru
It doesn't seem like the police even exist in the universe this series takes place except when there is a teenage party. No matter where the fights occur, no one thinks to call the police or they are just too busy hanging out at Dunkin Donuts or 7-11.
The police are there at the end, so obviously they were called.
Old 05-03-19, 09:20 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by dex14
The police are there at the end, so obviously they were called.
They weren't called during the bar fight unless it was off scene. They fight a bunch of guys in the bar, damaging the businesses property, and a few minutes later they are off camping rather than being arrested. Same with the fight at the ball. The police don't seem to bother to look for anyone after a fight ven though there would have been cameras all over the mall and possibly the bar.
Old 05-03-19, 09:23 AM

They weren't called during the bar fight unless it was off scene. They fight a bunch of guys in the bar, damaging the businesses property, and a few minutes later they are off camping rather than being arrested. Same with the fight at the ball. The police don't seem to bother to look for anyone after a fight ven though there would have been cameras all over the mall and possibly the bar.
There are hundreds of bar fight scenes that exist within movies and TV, rarely ever do they follow up with a scene regarding the police.

Would you prefer everyone just be arrested and this turn into a juvenile detention show? Or just end the show entirely with everyone in prison?

Last edited by dex14; 05-03-19 at 09:28 AM.
Old 05-03-19, 11:55 AM
Banned

Received 376 Likes on 295 Posts

What about the kid who had his nose broke/fractured by Creese? The parents don't notice enough to try and figure out what's going on?
Old 05-03-19, 12:06 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 231 Likes on 159 Posts

There are hundreds of bar fight scenes that exist within movies and TV, rarely ever do they follow up with a scene regarding the police.

Would you prefer everyone just be arrested and this turn into a juvenile detention show? Or just end the show entirely with everyone in prison?
Still one of the best ones...

I can only imagine how the ending of this film would've turned out if the team was arrested and had to do time.
Old 05-03-19, 12:26 PM

What about the kid who had his nose broke/fractured by Creese? The parents don't notice enough to try and figure out what's going on?
You really want to spend more time with that annoying character AND his parents??? That's the show you want to watch?

Nobody seemed to give a shit and pay attention to Laruso's son. Should we have a bunch of scenes with him too?
Old 05-03-19, 11:06 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Seems like you can just go down to your local public high school and easily enroll someone else's child into that school without either of the parents permission or without CPS getting involved.
Old 05-04-19, 02:11 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 357 Likes on 274 Posts

Just binged season 1 and 2 and I loved it. At some points, I didn’t know who to root for.

My thoughts:

Spoiler:

The only thing I didn’t like was the cement trunk part. That just seemed way over-the-top, even on a fictional TV show.

The Cobra Kai bro reunion was one of my fav episodes and the body bag ending was deeeep.

Old 05-04-19, 07:03 AM

Seems like you can just go down to your local public high school and easily enroll someone else's child into that school without either of the parents permission or without CPS getting involved.
So.... do you actually have a review of the season? Or are you just going to threadcrap with dumb nitpicks?
Old 05-06-19, 09:11 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

So.... do you actually have a review of the season? Or are you just going to threadcrap with dumb nitpicks?
I don't see how nitpicks or complaints about the logic of the stories is threadcrapping. If the title of the thread was "Post only your complementary or positive thoughts about Cobra Kai season 2", then it may be considered threadcrapping. since this thread was just created to talk about the second season of the show, all comments about the show, good or bad, should be allowed.
The following users liked this post:
whotony (04-21-20)
Old 05-06-19, 09:18 AM

I don't see how nitpicks or complaints about the logic of the stories is threadcrapping. If the title of the thread was "Post only your complementary or positive thoughts about Cobra Kai season 2", then it may be considered threadcrapping. since this thread was just created to talk about the second season of the show, all comments about the show, good or bad, should be allowed.
You really want to have a a discussion about the intricacies of registering a kid for school in a thread about Cobra Kai? Ok... cool...

It's not like you've said anything else about the show. Did you actually like it? Hate it? etc.
Old 05-06-19, 10:30 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 78 Likes on 63 Posts

The police don't seem to bother to look for anyone after a fight ven though there would have been cameras all over the mall and possibly the bar.
This whole time I never noticed that. I was so caught up in the story that I overlooked that, as well as the Threes’s Company-like misunderstandings.

The show is supposed to have some degree of realism. The show is going to have karate action scenes every so often, so bringing in the cops even once is gonna have viewers thinking, “why don’t they jut call the cops this time too?” And then, no fights, no show.

But after the huge brawl in the school, and the serious tone it took with Miguel possibly paralyzed and Sam getting her arm full of stitches I expect police to get involved. Robby to either be apprehended by police and put in YA or be on the run. I’m pretty sure Miguel’s mom would press charges.

I assumed he was exaggerating the broken nose and stitches because we didn’t see stitches. If not, then it doesn’t make sense his parents wouldn’t call the cops on Kreese.

Nobody seemed to give a shit and pay attention to Laruso's son. Should we have a bunch of scenes with him too?
Daniel’s son is awful but it’s weird they write him into the show but completely ignored him for this entire season. Even I was wondering “doesn’t he have another kid?” After watching season 1 I thought the writers were going to have Daniels son be jealous of Robby, but nope.
Old 05-06-19, 10:52 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by brayzie

I assumed he was exaggerating the broken nose and stitches because we didn’t see stitches. If not, then it doesn’t make sense his parents wouldn’t call the cops on Kreese.

I assume he didn't tell his parents about it because of peer pressure- but he didn't seem like the type of kid who wouldn't complain to his parents about everything, he was actually threatening to call the police to his friends at one point. Any adult who touched a kid (unless in self-defense) would have an assault charge for sure. It's one of the things I found a bit shocking on the show- that they let something like that go.

As far as the police showing up at the end of the fight scene, was that actually the police? I got the impression that was school security- who was conveniently missing during that whole 5min+ scene. Time for the parents to sue the school, school board and security company I guess...
Old 05-06-19, 01:04 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,704 Likes on 2,662 Posts

https://www.vudu.com/content/movies/.../title/1104474

You can now own Cobra Kai season 1 on digital for $15.
Old 05-06-19, 02:00 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I assume he didn't tell his parents about it because of peer pressure- but he didn't seem like the type of kid who wouldn't complain to his parents about everything, he was actually threatening to call the police to his friends at one point. Any adult who touched a kid (unless in self-defense) would have an assault charge for sure. It's one of the things I found a bit shocking on the show- that they let something like that go.

As far as the police showing up at the end of the fight scene, was that actually the police? I got the impression that was school security- who was conveniently missing during that whole 5min+ scene. Time for the parents to sue the school, school board and security company I guess...
What really seemed odd about the whole fight sequence was when the girl made the announcement on the loud speaker, they all seemed to know right away which hallway in the school the fight was automatically going to take place in. That and this hallway seemed to be vacant of any teachers in those classrooms in that hallway that would have tried to breakup the fight.
Old 05-06-19, 02:09 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

You really want to have a a discussion about the intricacies of registering a kid for school in a thread about Cobra Kai? Ok... cool...

It's not like you've said anything else about the show. Did you actually like it? Hate it? etc.
I never said I didn't like the show. It's a lot better than I or most others expected it to be when it was first announced. I thought the best episode was the one with his old high school buddies. Wish they would do more like that one and play more off the nostalgia from the movies.

My main issue was the last episdoe was just over the top and had a lot of issues in the story that really didn't seem logical. Like Johnny losing Cobra Kai for instance. Sure the landlord owned the property and it was a "handshake deal", but you can't just kick out a tennant, or turn over someone else's physical assets that were in the property without going through legal procedures. It would be assumed Johny registered the Cobra Kai business with the local town so it doesn't make sense for the landlord to go in there and say to Reese "Ok, the business, business name, and all the physical assets on the property are now yours even though Johnny already paid a month+ rent in advance". And why would a landlord find a homeless man living in a shelter a better renter than Johnny, who at the very least had a real home that he rented to live in.
whotony (04-21-20)
Old 05-06-19, 02:34 PM
Banned

I never said I didn't like the show. It's a lot better than I or most others expected it to be when it was first announced. I thought the best episode was the one with his old high school buddies. Wish they would do more like that one and play more off the nostalgia from the movies.

My main issue was the last episdoe was just over the top and had a lot of issues in the story that really didn't seem logical. Like Johnny losing Cobra Kai for instance. Sure the landlord owned the property and it was a "handshake deal", but you can't just kick out a tennant, or turn over someone else's physical assets that were in the property without going through legal procedures. It would be assumed Johny registered the Cobra Kai business with the local town so it doesn't make sense for the landlord to go in there and say to Reese "Ok, the business, business name, and all the physical assets on the property are now yours even though Johnny already paid a month+ rent in advance". And why would a landlord find a homeless man living in a shelter a better renter than Johnny, who at the very least had a real home that he rented to live in.
On top of that, Johnny didn't have to leave- there was no way to prove he wasn't the proper tenant as there was no paperwork to prove otherwise. Good luck throwing me out if something like that happens...
whotony (04-21-20)
Old 05-06-19, 07:01 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 849 Likes on 557 Posts

Watched both seasons in about two days and loved both. Can’t wait to see where season 3 goes. Only thing I didn’t much care for was the obnoxious fat guy. That dude sucks.
Old 05-06-19, 07:23 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 78 Likes on 63 Posts

It would be assumed Johny registered the Cobra Kai business with the local town...
When Johnny first opened up Cobra Kai I thought, wait, isn't Cobra Kai owned by Terry Silver, Kreese, and Mike Barnes?

...so it doesn't make sense for the landlord to go in there and say to Reese "Ok, the business, business name, and all the physical assets on the property are now yours even though Johnny already paid a month+ rent in advance". And why would a landlord find a homeless man living in a shelter a better renter than Johnny, who at the very least had a real home that he rented to live in.
The scene where Johnny comes back and Kreese is in his office, on the phone, with his 'Nam photo on the wall, I immediately assumed Kreese was talking to a lawyer or someone that deals these kind of matters so as to get the dojo back in his name. That was enough for me at the time to believe Kreese could wrestle control of it from Johnny.

For me, the "handshake deal" was harder to believe.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.