Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

The Orville (S2E11) -- "Lasting Impressions" -- 3/21/19

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-19, 10:54 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Re: The Orville (S2E11) -- "Lasting Impressions" -- 3/21/19

Ms. Melasnus pointed out to me this morning this show is getting more and more SOAPISH.
And the best of the Star Treks' episodes had a high degree of Adventure to 'em....something in short supply in The Orville.
I think she makes a good point...
Old 03-28-19, 12:54 PM
Banned

Received 376 Likes on 295 Posts

Originally Posted by melasnus
Ms. Melasnus pointed out to me this morning this show is getting more and more SOAPISH.
And the best of the Star Treks' episodes had a high degree of Adventure to 'em....something in short supply in The Orville.
I think she makes a good point...
First rule of the wife club...

Last edited by Eric F; 03-28-19 at 01:59 PM.
Old 03-28-19, 03:59 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 67 Likes on 58 Posts

Incredibly belated recap and review by JP of Egotastic Funtime

Old 03-28-19, 04:30 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 67 Likes on 58 Posts

They released Leighton Meester's complete song performance as a video:

The song is titled "That's All I've Got To Say" and was the theme to "The Last Unicorn" (and is also known for being performed by Art Garfunkel)
Old 03-28-19, 04:32 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,101 Likes on 797 Posts

Originally Posted by Bill Needle
Add in any consumable you can imagine just for the asking and you have an unlimited supply of the only two things that coaxed humans out of the caves.
If we could just figure out a way to eat pastrami and watch TV while we're having sex . . .
Old 03-29-19, 11:58 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 961 Likes on 668 Posts

Originally Posted by fiver
A couple problems I'm starting to have with The Orville:

1. I'm glad they abandoned the total comedy aspect of the first few episodes - they just weren't funny to me, very strained. However, as a science fiction show, few of the ideas are very original - and, even if borrowed, they could go beyond Next Gen as a source.
2. Television Sci-fi has come a long way since the heydey of Next Gen: Babylon 5, DS9, Farscape, Firefly, and others were vastly superior to most of what TNG had to offer. While Next Gen wasn't really a bad show, I don't really want to go back there, and it is much harder to watch it with any seriousness now. Perhaps Discovery isn't it either as a lot of people didn't like the changes they made or the oppressive atmosphere of the show, but that shouldn't mean an ST clone has to go back to the same plots over and over again
3. This season has gone to the well on 'family' plots many more times than not it feels like - and that was always the WORST part of TNG, not the best....I can't believe Seth McFarlane wants to emulate that part of TNG this badly. Someone mentioned the Geordi episode, which is true, but I also kept thinking of the Minuet holodesk episode.

I'm the random internet guy that's going to tell you you're wrong

Yeah there have been a lot of Sci-fi which has been instrumental in changing the format of shows from an episodic to a serialized format which has resulted in a more dramatic flashier style. But I still contend that the absolute best of Star Trek are the episodes that need no prior knowledge of ships, species or even characters to enjoy. Episodes like The City of the Edge of Forever, Measure of a Man, The Inner Light, and The Visitor. Don't depend on serialized story telling or splashy special effect. They depend on thoughtful writing and execution of an interesting idea that transcends the confines of the Sci-fi world in which it inhabits. Personally I absolutely love the more "quiet" episodes. The ones that take the time to develop the characters and let you know a little more insight into who they are. As much as I love The Best of Both Worlds and the spectacle and suspense that came with that epic two parter it was the episode directly after that Family that I think is really unique to Star Trek and TNG specifically. To spend a whole episode to show how the experience really effected Picard and to provide a glimpse into Worf's childhood and parents are the kind of episodes that really elevates TNG as my favorite TV show.

In a similar vein, but to a lesser degree, I appreciate that Orville has some quiet episodes as well that focus on the characters, or a sci-fi premise and takes the time to develop that. I know I'm probably in the minority but I really like those type of episodes. It really makes you believe that the world they create is one that is that much more believable.
Old 03-30-19, 12:06 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 961 Likes on 668 Posts

Originally Posted by Goldberg74
This is probably my most favorite episode so far. Felt so sorry for Malloy... such a great concept (even if borrowed).
Originally Posted by Tom Banjo
Brilliant episode. I knew that guy looked familiar but didn’t realize he was Tuvok.
Bortus brings the funny. Definitely my favorite character.
as for the main story, that bordered on some Black Mirror shit, and actually made me tear up a bit. Never thought The Orville would do that to me.
Originally Posted by printerati
I agree that this is the best episode to date, so well executed from start to finish. The Dick Van Dyke line had me rolling.
Originally Posted by JTH182
I came here to post the same thing. I'm glad others feel the same way, since you can never tell with the internet, lol. Even though it was completely predictable, it was still heart wrenching to watch. It helps that I find Leighton Meester irresistibly cute.
Originally Posted by dhmac
I liked the episode a lot. Yeah, I noticed the obvious similarities to some Star Trek holodeck episodes but I thought the twist with the ex-boyfriend gave this episode something of its own to work with. And that Gordon deleting the old boyfriend from the program had the unintended effect of ruining Laura's personality was a nice depiction of how a large part of a person's personality is an accumulation of life experiences, and subtracting certain major experiences would change the person's personality.

Even though I don't want this show to get into the bad habit of using the environmental simulator (holodeck) as a plot crutch as the Star Trek series tended to do (particularly TNG), i think this episode handled it right.
Wow, I'm surprised how many people agree that this was a really good episode. I appreciate these quieter more character focused episodes. I think a large part of it was how absolutely attractive Leighton Meester was in this. She nailed the whole cute friend you want to take to the next level thing down to a T.

I thought it was interesting having his real life wife give him advice on his on screen holographic girl friend. I don't know what Scott Grimes is like in real life but if he's anything like he was in this episode I can kind of see how he played the nice guy angle to land Palicki.
Old 04-11-19, 12:38 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 481 Likes on 353 Posts

Originally Posted by dhmac
I liked the episode a lot. Yeah, I noticed the obvious similarities to some Star Trek holodeck episodes but I thought the twist with the ex-boyfriend gave this episode something of its own to work with. And that Gordon deleting the old boyfriend from the program had the unintended effect of ruining Laura's personality was a nice depiction of how a large part of a person's personality is an accumulation of life experiences, and subtracting certain major experiences would change the person's personality.

Even though I don't want this show to get into the bad habit of using the environmental simulator (holodeck) as a plot crutch as the Star Trek series tended to do (particularly TNG), i think this episode handled it right.
I finally had the chance to watch this episode tonight and I loved it. You hit the nail on the head - the ex boyfriend returning, and the unintended consequences of Gordon deleting him elevated this episode into a more thoughtful level. It was really well written and I love these actors and characters. That's what makes a show great - not the plots or the twists or how clever the scripts are. That makes for great movies or mini-series, but for a TV series to last you have to have great characters that people like, and The Orville has characters that I really like.

I don't get to watch much TV anymore, but the two shows I'm really digging right now are The Orville and The Rookie. Neither one of them is a big ratings hit, so I hope both of them survive for at least another season. (Well, I also love Better Call Saul, but at 10 or so episodes every 18 months that's not a whole lot to follow, unfortunately...)
Old 04-11-19, 03:12 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 87 Likes on 64 Posts

Not sure if this needs to be spoilered:

Spoiler:
Tonight's episode is directed by Jonathan Frakes and guest stars Marina Sirtis