The Orville (S2E11) -- "Lasting Impressions" -- 3/21/19

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-19, 06:43 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 36 Likes on 28 Posts
The Orville (S2E11) -- "Lasting Impressions" -- 3/21/19

I didn't see a post about this.

THURSDAY, MARCH 21

[EDITOR'S NOTE: Audio descriptions for tonight's episodes of GOTHAM and THE ORVILLE are available on the SAP Audio Channel.]

--"THE ORVILLE" - (9:00-10:00 PM ET/PT) CC-AD-HDTV 720p-Dolby Digital 5.1

THE ORVILLE CREW MEMBERS OPEN A TIME CAPSULE FROM 2015 ON AN ALL-NEW "THE ORVILLE" THURSDAY, MARCH 21, ON FOX

Leighton Meester ("Gossip Girl") Guest-Stars

The Orville crew members open a time capsule from 2015 in the all-new "Lasting Impressions" episode of THE ORVILLE airing Thursday, March 21 (9:00-10:00 PM ET/PT) on FOX. (ORV-210) (TV-14 D, L, S, V)

Cast: Seth MacFarlane as Captain Ed Mercer; Adrianne Palicki as Commander Kelly Grayson; Penny Johnson Jerald as Dr. Claire Finn; Scott Grimes as Lieutenant Gordon Malloy; Peter Macon as Lieutenant Commander Bortus; Jessica Szohr as Lieutenant Talla Keyali; J Lee as Lieutenant Commander John Lamarr; Mark Jackson as Isaac; Chad L. Coleman as Klyden

Guest Cast: Leighton Meester as Laura

Read more: Listings - ORVILLE, THE on FOX | TheFutonCritic.com
Listings - ORVILLE, THE on FOX | TheFutonCritic.com

The plot with Bortus and Klyden
Spoiler:
extreme smoking addiction
was hilarious.

Spoiler:
<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script> <script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script> <script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Last edited by Match; 03-22-19 at 06:52 PM.
Old 03-22-19, 06:53 PM
Banned

Received 376 Likes on 295 Posts
Re: The Orville (S2E11) -- "Lasting Impressions" -- 3/21/19

Oh Bortus.

As far as the primary plot with Gordon goes, well, it's official, Seth MacFarlane has no original ideas of his own for this show. Paging Dr Brahms, Dr Leah Brahms...

Last edited by Eric F; 03-22-19 at 09:05 PM.
Old 03-22-19, 09:03 PM

Received 808 Likes on 525 Posts

No comments about Tim Russ guesting in this episode? (He was Tuvok on Voyager.)

Bortus brings teh funny. 😂
Old 03-22-19, 09:04 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Goldberg74
No comments about Tim Russ guesting in this episode? (He was Tuvok on Voyager.)

Bortus brings teh funny. 😂
I noticed. When I first saw him I was looking for pointed ears.
Old 03-22-19, 10:48 PM

Received 808 Likes on 525 Posts

This is probably my most favorite episode so far. Felt so sorry for Malloy... such a great concept (even if borrowed).
Old 03-22-19, 11:20 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 259 Likes on 152 Posts

Brilliant episode. I knew that guy looked familiar but didn’t realize he was Tuvok.
Bortus brings the funny. Definitely my favorite character.
as for the main story, that bordered on some Black Mirror shit, and actually made me tear up a bit. Never thought The Orville would do that to me.
Old 03-23-19, 06:06 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 147 Likes on 94 Posts

I agree that this is the best episode to date, so well executed from start to finish. The Dick Van Dyke line had me rolling.
Old 03-23-19, 11:17 AM
Cool New Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Wireless Telecommunications Facility
Old 03-23-19, 11:36 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 215 Likes on 190 Posts

Originally Posted by printerati
I agree that this is the best episode to date, so well executed from start to finish. The Dick Van Dyke line had me rolling.
I've forgotten, -what was "The Dick Van Dyke line"?
Old 03-23-19, 12:33 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,097 Likes on 794 Posts

Originally Posted by DWilson
I've forgotten, -what was "The Dick Van Dyke line"?
It was a conceptual joke. Malloy apologized for not knowing what Dick Van Dyke was in Pictionary, so you had to imagine what he tried to draw. Sort of begged for a cutaway but Fox would have had to blur it anyways.
Old 03-23-19, 01:34 PM
Banned

The show needs to shift it's focus more on how alien races in the Union are affected by humanity (ie: how nicotine introduced to an alien race can affect them so much) - I find that aspect more interesting than anything on the human side of things.

I had a hard time liking the plots of a lot of episodes (notably this one) when I can't help comparing it to the TNG Geordi Laforge holodeck love affair episode. It's obvious Seth MacFarlane is heavily influenced by TNG. The original ideas he has are great. The Bortus storyline was great. I really wish he'd focus more on his orignal ideas then him trying so hard to pay homage to TNG in every episode.
Old 03-23-19, 04:59 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 117 Likes on 79 Posts

Originally Posted by Goldberg74
This is probably my most favorite episode so far. Felt so sorry for Malloy... such a great concept (even if borrowed).
I came here to post the same thing. I'm glad others feel the same way, since you can never tell with the internet, lol. Even though it was completely predictable, it was still heart wrenching to watch. It helps that I find Leighton Meester irresistibly cute.
Old 03-23-19, 09:26 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 38 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by Eric F
The show needs to shift it's focus more on how alien races in the Union are affected by humanity (ie: how nicotine introduced to an alien race can affect them so much) - I find that aspect more interesting than anything on the human side of things.

I had a hard time liking the plots of a lot of episodes (notably this one) when I can't help comparing it to the TNG Geordi Laforge holodeck love affair episode. It's obvious Seth MacFarlane is heavily influenced by TNG. The original ideas he has are great. The Bortus storyline was great. I really wish he'd focus more on his orignal ideas then him trying so hard to pay homage to TNG in every episode.
A couple problems I'm starting to have with The Orville:

1. I'm glad they abandoned the total comedy aspect of the first few episodes - they just weren't funny to me, very strained. However, as a science fiction show, few of the ideas are very original - and, even if borrowed, they could go beyond Next Gen as a source.
2. Television Sci-fi has come a long way since the heydey of Next Gen: Babylon 5, DS9, Farscape, Firefly, and others were vastly superior to most of what TNG had to offer. While Next Gen wasn't really a bad show, I don't really want to go back there, and it is much harder to watch it with any seriousness now. Perhaps Discovery isn't it either as a lot of people didn't like the changes they made or the oppressive atmosphere of the show, but that shouldn't mean an ST clone has to go back to the same plots over and over again
3. This season has gone to the well on 'family' plots many more times than not it feels like - and that was always the WORST part of TNG, not the best....I can't believe Seth McFarlane wants to emulate that part of TNG this badly. Someone mentioned the Geordi episode, which is true, but I also kept thinking of the Minuet holodesk episode.
Old 03-23-19, 10:25 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,730 Likes on 1,885 Posts

Yeah, very good episode.

Bortus smoking was fucking hilarious.

WTF and Dick Van Dyke were good, too.

And Malloy gets to be the rebound guy and getfriendzoned by his holodeck girlfriend. He managed to out-Geordi Geordi.
Old 03-23-19, 11:33 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 173 Likes on 137 Posts

So Earthlings from Earth were puzzled by Earth technology and culture from 400 years ago despite the fact that a trillion images and a billion hours of video are recorded every year? Would you be perplexed by the meaning of Galileo's telescope? Not to mention the fact that the characters exclusively rely on 20th/21st century musical and pop cultural references.
Old 03-23-19, 11:34 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Bill Needle
So Earthlings from Earth were puzzled by earth technology and culture from 400 years ago despite the fact that a trillion images and a billion hours of video are recorded every year? Would you be perplexed by the meaning of Galileo's telescope? Not to mention the fact that the characters exclusively rely on 20th/21st century musical and pop cultural references.
Tuvok intimated about some sort of calamity that erased most of the historical records, of course the rest of it doesn't make much sense.
Old 03-24-19, 01:25 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

As far as the primary plot with Gordon goes, well, it's official, Seth MacFarlane has no original ideas of his own for this show.
I think we can now just refer to this series as "STorville" or "TREKville."
What a disappointment...
Originally Posted by Bill Needle
So Earthlings from Earth were puzzled by Earth technology and culture from 400 years ago despite the fact that a trillion images and a billion hours of video are recorded every year? Would you be perplexed by the meaning of Galileo's telescope? Not to mention the fact that the characters exclusively rely on 20th/21st century musical and pop cultural references.
There is no cause for you to be logical on this thread, sir.
Old 03-24-19, 09:49 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 616 Likes on 495 Posts

Originally Posted by Josh-da-man
Yeah, very good episode.

Bortus smoking was fucking hilarious.

WTF and Dick Van Dyke were good, too.

And Malloy gets to be the rebound guy and getfriendzoned by his holodeck girlfriend. He managed to out-Geordi Geordi.

The smoking addiction was so great.
Old 03-24-19, 11:22 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by fiver
A couple problems I'm starting to have with The Orville:

1. I'm glad they abandoned the total comedy aspect of the first few episodes - they just weren't funny to me, very strained. However, as a science fiction show, few of the ideas are very original - and, even if borrowed, they could go beyond Next Gen as a source.
2. Television Sci-fi has come a long way since the heydey of Next Gen: Babylon 5, DS9, Farscape, Firefly, and others were vastly superior to most of what TNG had to offer. While Next Gen wasn't really a bad show, I don't really want to go back there, and it is much harder to watch it with any seriousness now. Perhaps Discovery isn't it either as a lot of people didn't like the changes they made or the oppressive atmosphere of the show, but that shouldn't mean an ST clone has to go back to the same plots over and over again
3. This season has gone to the well on 'family' plots many more times than not it feels like - and that was always the WORST part of TNG, not the best....I can't believe Seth McFarlane wants to emulate that part of TNG this badly. Someone mentioned the Geordi episode, which is true, but I also kept thinking of the Minuet holodesk episode.
I get the criticism. I know Trek backwards and forwards, so there is no idea Seth will recycle that I won't recognize, but TNG was 25 years ago and TOS was 50.

I started watching TOS reruns when I was a kid. There is a whole audience for Orville that hasn't seen these stories before, and Orville can be exactly what TOS was for me: an entry into sci-fi TV that is not going to stand up top the kind of logical scrutiny folks around here want to apply, but can still be very entertaining.

I really liked this episode. The A story was very sweet. The B story was humorous. It all held together as a completely entertaining hour of TV.

I saw an online review (not AV Club but something like it) that criticized this as a stand-alone episode you wouldn't bother to rewatch in a future binge. How did that become the standard for what a TV show should be?

Discovery has dark arcs and super-complicated mythology. Episode by episode, Discovery is as fun as a trip to the dentist.

There was a thread asking what shows you want to watch immediately. Orville is that show for me on Thursday nights because by the time I get to sit down in front of the TV, I am just looking to relax and be entertained for a little while.

And nobody has mentioned it yet, Leighton Meester is as sweet as Tupelo honey. YUM!!

Old 03-24-19, 01:51 PM
TGM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 401 Likes on 250 Posts

recycled idea yes, but done so well. I felt for him myself until I remembered that the actor gets to bang the first officer in real life.
Old 03-24-19, 03:03 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Count Dooku
I get the criticism. I know Trek backwards and forwards, so there is no idea Seth will recycle that I won't recognize, but TNG was 25 years ago and TOS was 50.

I started watching TOS reruns when I was a kid. There is a whole audience for Orville that hasn't seen these stories before, and Orville can be exactly what TOS was for me: an entry into sci-fi TV that is not going to stand up top the kind of logical scrutiny folks around here want to apply, but can still be very entertaining.

I really liked this episode. The A story was very sweet. The B story was humorous. It all held together as a completely entertaining hour of TV.

I saw an online review (not AV Club but something like it) that criticized this as a stand-alone episode you wouldn't bother to rewatch in a future binge. How did that become the standard for what a TV show should be?

Discovery has dark arcs and super-complicated mythology. Episode by episode, Discovery is as fun as a trip to the dentist.

There was a thread asking what shows you want to watch immediately. Orville is that show for me on Thursday nights because by the time I get to sit down in front of the TV, I am just looking to relax and be entertained for a little while.

And nobody has mentioned it yet, Leighton Meester is as sweet as Tupelo honey. YUM!!

The >50 crowd has the biggest share for the show (unless I'm reading it wrong) so it's quite likely a big portion, if not most of The Orville's viewers have seen TNG before.
Old 03-24-19, 06:32 PM
DVD Talk Legend

The >50 crowd has the biggest share for the show (unless I'm reading it wrong) so it's quite likely a big portion, if not most of The Orville's viewers have seen TNG before.
That does not surprise me but does not invalidate my point that the show can appeal to others.

I don't know what to say to a Trek fan who watches Orville every week and has nothing but complaints about the lack of originality.
Old 03-24-19, 06:55 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 290 Likes on 215 Posts

Oh Bortus.

As far as the primary plot with Gordon goes, well, it's official, Seth MacFarlane has no original ideas of his own for this show. Paging Dr Brahms, Dr Leah Brahms...
It was more similiar to the Minuette storyline with Riker.
Old 03-24-19, 06:59 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 290 Likes on 215 Posts

Tuvok intimated about some sort of calamity that erased most of the historical records, of course the rest of it doesn't make much sense.
Even that doesn't make sense since the are multiple times the crew has palyed songs and watched movies from the 20th and 21st centuries. That and the holodec computers pretty much accurately recreated 21th Century settings to play out the program with the woman who owned the phone.
Old 03-24-19, 08:52 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I saw very little of TNG so if the plot is recycled I won't know it. I found this one very good. Even Bortus. I saved it and will watch it again.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.