Community
Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Orphan Black: Echoes - spin-off series coming to AMC

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-19, 12:05 PM

Received 4,585 Likes on 3,104 Posts
Orphan Black: Echoes - spin-off series coming to AMC

“Orphan Black” fans could soon have reason to celebrate.

Variety has learned from sources that a new series set in the “Orphan Black” universe is currently in the early development stages at AMC. Temple Street Productions, which produced the original series, is onboard to produce the new series as well.

Sources stressed, however, that this would not be a spinoff or reboot of the original series, but rather a completely new story set in the same world. The producers are currently seeking a writer for the project and are looking to bring in multiple people to pitch different takes on what the show could be.

AMC and Temple Street declined to comment.

News of the development is made all the more interesting by the fact that it is set up at AMC rather than BBC America, which aired the original in the U.S. It is still too early in the process to tell whether the new show would air on multiple networks under the AMC Networks umbrella, but it was recently announced that Season 2 of the critically-acclaimed drama “Killing Eve” would be simulcast on its original network home, BBC America, as well as on AMC.

“Orphan Black” was co-created by John Fawcett and Graeme Manson. The series launched in 2013 and ran for five seasons. It starred Tatiana Maslany as a woman who discovers that she is a clone and that someone is plotting to kill her and her clone “sisters.” Both the series and Maslany’s performance were well-received by critics. She was nominated for three Emmys and a Golden Globe during the show’s run, winning the Emmy for best actress in a drama series in 2016.
https://variety.com/2019/tv/news/orp...mc-1203160818/
Old 03-12-19, 12:13 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 194 Likes on 156 Posts
re: Orphan Black: Echoes - spin-off series coming to AMC

Sounds like a silly idea. After season one the "story" was really convoluted nonsense with only Maslany's performance still making the show watchable (and even she couldn't always save it). I don't see where we need more stories in that universe.
Old 03-12-19, 12:22 PM

Originally Posted by mwbmis
Sounds like a silly idea. After season one the "story" was really convoluted nonsense with only Maslany's performance still making the show watchable (and even she couldn't always save it). I don't see where we need more stories in that universe.
Agreed 100%.
Old 03-12-19, 01:35 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 393 Likes on 281 Posts

the original was a show I gave up on after a few seasons. Why would people want to go back to this story line? who is / was asking for more here?
Old 03-12-19, 01:37 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Good god no. As posted above, the storyline was nonsensical gibberish. I bet the writers room didn't even know what was going on.
Old 03-12-19, 02:07 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,641 Likes on 2,613 Posts

I loved season 1. I hate giving up on shows that I loved, but Orphan Black lost me somewhere in season 2.

I have zero interest in a follow up to something that lost me.
The following users liked this post:
OldBoy (07-28-22)
Old 03-12-19, 02:44 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 813 Likes on 687 Posts

You saved me from writing all that out.
Old 03-12-19, 03:05 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Glad I could help.
Old 03-13-19, 06:34 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 325 Likes on 243 Posts

I agree with you 100 percent. The first season was so much fun...then the showrunners got deep into science and mythology and the show just got dull and uninteresting.
Old 03-13-19, 09:21 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,745 Likes on 1,890 Posts

I generally liked Orphan Black through its five year run and didn’t have much trouble following it. I thought it held together much better than Lost and, while its mythology was complex, it never stepped all over itself like many other projects of similar ambition did. My only real gripes were that the Prolethians were kind of a dead end and the “final boss” sort of came out left field in the final act, but overall I thought it held together quite well.
Old 03-14-19, 06:41 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 45 Likes on 37 Posts

Much like all of you, loved S1 and wanted to stick through all the seasons but....nope...for all the reasons you guys posted.
Old 03-15-19, 01:19 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 39 Likes on 32 Posts

I made it half way though Season 3 and bailed. Season 1 was so good, if they do a follow up, it seems like something better fit to a True Detective/Fargo model versus a longer running series. That could be worth watching
Old 02-05-22, 04:50 PM

The new “Orphan Black” series in the works at AMC has found its writer.

Variety has learned exclusively that Anna Fishko is onboard to write and executive produce the potential new iteration of the series, which was first reported as being in the works back in 2019. A writers’ room for the project is now open, though exact plot details remain under wraps.

It is known, however, that the project is not a reboot of the original show, but rather a new story set in the same world. Boat Rocker Studios, a division of Boat Rocker Media, will produce.

Fishko is no stranger to working with AMC, having been a writer and supervising producer on “Fear the Walking Dead” for the basic cabler during the show’s fourth season in 2018.

Most recently, she worked as a writer and co-executive producer on the Netflix series “The Society,” which had been renewed for a second season before the COVID-related production shutdown led Netflix to cancel the series instead. Fishko’s other credits include “Colony” at USA Network, “The Last Tycoon” at Amazon, and “Tyrant” at FX.

She is repped by CAA and attorney Tara Kole.

“Orphan Black” was co-created by John Fawcett and Graeme Manson. The series launched in 2013 and ran for five seasons on BBC America. It starred Tatiana Maslany as a woman who discovers that she is a clone and that someone is plotting to kill her and her clone “sisters.” Both the series and Maslany’s performance were well-received by critics. She was nominated for three Emmys and a Golden Globe during the show’s run, winning the Emmy for best actress in a drama series in 2016.
https://variety.com/2022/tv/news/orp...er-1235171825/
Old 02-07-22, 09:52 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Tatiana Maslany was the reason the show was even watchable until it got weird in the later seasons and I dropped it. I can't imagine who could bring the same believable range to a character and not be a cartoonish version of themselves. I'm not sure I would watch a reboot.
Old 02-07-22, 01:22 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 45 Likes on 37 Posts

I'm so glad many others feel the way I do about the later seasons. I think I watched up to S3 and it just got too confusing.

Tatiana is such a talent. I don't think a new Orphan Black could replace her charisma and "it" factor of the role.
Old 02-07-22, 03:17 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I'm a little surprised She Hulk starting Tatiana Maslany does not have a thread just yet as it seems to be coming this year according to IMDB
Old 02-07-22, 03:36 PM

Originally Posted by jpcamb
I'm a little surprised She Hulk starting Tatiana Maslany does not have a thread just yet as it seems to be coming this year according to IMDB
It's discussed in the Marvel / Disney+ thread. The Marvel shows have been getting weekly threads when they air.
Old 04-06-22, 11:49 AM

Great Sarah Manning, it’s official! AMC Networks revealed today that Orphan Black: Echoes is planned for AMC+ and the company’s linear networks in 2023.

AMC says the Orphan Black spinoff is set in the near future and “takes a deep dive into the exploration of the scientific manipulation of human existence. It follows a group of women as they weave their way into each other’s lives and embark on a thrilling journey, unravelling the mystery of their identity and uncovering a wrenching story of love and betrayal.”

Ten episodes are planned for the first season of Echoes from Anna Fishko (Pieces of Her), who will also serve as showrunner and executive producer with John Fawcett, the co-creator and director of the original series. David Fortier and Ivan Schneeberg, EPs from Boat Rocker who worked on the original series, return as EPs on Echoes. Katie O’Connell Marsh, Nick Nantell, and Kerry Appleyard will also executive produce for Boat Rocker, which manages the Orphan Black global franchise, including content distribution and consumer products.

“Orphan Black had a remarkable run on BBC America, attracting millions of dedicated and highly engaged fans, captivated by a smart and engrossing story and a star-making and Emmy-winning performance by Tatiana Maslany,” said Dan McDermott, president of entertainment and AMC Studios for AMC Networks, in a statement. “We can’t wait to dive back in with Anna, John and our partners at Boat Rocker and deliver an all-new version of this rich world that is worthy of the #CloneClub.”

“We started our journey down the Orphan Black rabbit hole when Sarah Manning watched Beth Childs inexplicably jump in front of an oncoming train. Since then, a passionate fandom has joined us for a wildly entertaining ride,” added David Fortier and Ivan Schneeberg, Co-Executive Chairmen, Boat Rocker Media. The two also exec produced Orphan Black and will carry on with Echoes. “We’re delighted to be partnering with AMC and Anna Fishko and joining forces again with John Fawcett, to boldly reenter the Orphan Black universe. Once again, we welcome Clone Club along for the ride and look forward to adventuresome new fans taking the leap. Strap yourselves in and hold on!”
https://deadline.com/2022/04/amc-net...es-1234995267/
Old 07-28-22, 01:46 PM
DVD Talk God

Re: Orphan Black: Echoes - spin-off series coming to AMC

Krysten Ritter has signed on

Old 07-28-22, 02:31 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Pointless follow up series that I have absolutely zero interest in hires actress that I really like. Sigh...
The following users liked this post:
jpcamb (08-01-22)
Old 08-30-22, 10:43 AM

Old 10-12-23, 11:21 AM

This is anything but a carbon copy.

#OrphanBlackEchoes, starring Krysten Ritter and Keeley Hawes, premieres in 2024 on AMC, BBC America, and AMC+.
AMC Networks has released the first trailer for Orphan Black: Echoes, an original series set in the Orphan Black universe, starring and executive produced by Krysten Ritter. The teaser was released Thursday at New York Comic Con. The series debuts on AMC, AMC+ and BBC America in 2024.

“What’s wrong with me?” asks Krysten Ritter’s Lucy in the opening scene of the trailer. ” Why don’t I know who I am?” A disoriented Lucy is told she’s “been through a procedure.” We’re not exactly sure what that is, but it’s not good.

Set in the near future, Orphan Black: Echoes takes a deep dive into the exploration of the scientific manipulation of human existence. It follows a group of women as they weave their way into each other’s lives and embark on a thrilling journey, unravelling the mystery of their identity and uncovering a wrenching story of love and betrayal.

In addition to Ritter, Keeley Hawes, Amanda Fix and Avan Jogia also star.

It also was announced today that Kihlstedt (A Teacher, One Mississippi) and Hiroyuki Liao (Barry, The Dropout) have joined the cast as series regulars and Diamond (Better Call Saul, Mosquito Coast) will recur throughout the first season.

Kihlstedt will portray Eleanor, a brilliant, tough as nails, neuroscientist, who is deeply loyal to the people she’s close to, including her wife and their son. Raised by working-class parents, nothing was ever handed to her; she is devoted to her work and gets up every day with a singular focus to make a breakthrough in her research. Liao will play Darros, an extremely powerful self-made billionaire with a troubled rare mushroom farming to improving human biology. Soft-spoken but with an undeniable presence, Darros is a man who always gets what he wants, no matter the cost. Diamond will recur as Tom, the former military, no-nonsense Head of Corporate Security for the Darros Foundation.

Anna Fishko (Fear the Walking Dead) is creator, writer, showrunner and executive producer with John Fawcett, the co-creator of the original series who also directed 17 episodes across all five seasons, on as director and executive producer. David Fortier and Ivan Schneeberg, executive producers from Boat Rocker on the original Orphan Black series, return as executive producers on the new series. Katie O’Connell Marsh, Nick Nantell, and Kerry Appleyard will also executive produce for Boat Rocker.

Kihlstedt is represented by A3 Artists Agency & Untitled Entertainment. Hiroyuki Liao is represented by SMS Talent and Koopman Management. Diamond is represented by Paradigm.
https://deadline.com/2023/10/orphan-...ff-1235570401/
Old 10-12-23, 11:26 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,660 Likes on 1,035 Posts

Love Orphan Black and love Krysten Ritter so I'm in!

Side note - I still think the original show proves that Tatiana Maslany is one of the best actors of all time. What she did on that show was nothing short of incredible.
The following 2 users liked this post by Draven:
[email protected] (10-14-23), Toby Dramit (10-13-23)
Old 03-30-24, 12:26 AM
DVD Talk God

Premieres June 23rd. I've changed my opinion since I originally posted in this thread 5 years ago. I'll give this a try.