TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

NBC's Elvis All-Star Tribute -- 2/17/19

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-19, 09:42 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 218 Likes on 165 Posts
NBC's Elvis All-Star Tribute -- 2/17/19

https://www.billboard.com/articles/n...l-star-tribute

The music world's biggest stars will honor Elvis Presley on Sunday night’s (Feb. 17) Elvis All-Star Tribute. The two-hour concert celebrating the King of Rock 'n' Roll will air from 9-11 p.m. ET/PT on NBC and includes performances by a wide range of artists.

Hosted by Blake Shelton, the evening will encompass each artist re-creating songs from Presley's now-legendary ’68 Comeback Special. Rare footage and interviews with Priscilla Presley and Steve Binder, who directed the original special, will also be featured.

In the exclusive clip below, Shelton covers Presley's spirited "Guitar Man" with an appearance from the King himself. The nearly one-minute snippet has Shelton donning a black leather jacket and electric guitar as he mimics Presley's iconic performance from 51 years ago. Footage from Presley's 1968 special is spliced between Shelton's, and the two trade verses as if collaborating together on a modern-day duet.

"Guitar Man" was originally written and released by Jerry Reed in 1967. Presley covered the track later that year and his version, which featured Reed on guitar, was embraced by both the country and pop genres. In 1981, "Guitar Man" was re-released with an electric arrangement and Presley's original vocals. That version went to No. 1 on Billboard's Hot Country Singles chart and peaked at No. 28 on the Billboard Hot 100 chart, marking his last pop hit.

Phillip Sweet and Kimberly Schlapman of Little Big Town, Darius Rucker, Mac Davis, Don Was, Blake Shelton, Post Malone, Karen Fairchild and Jimi Westbrook of Little Big Town in The 50th Anniversary of the Elvis Comeback Special.

In addition to Shelton's performance, Yolanda Adams, Kelsea Ballerini, Dierks Bentley, Alessia Cara, John Fogerty, Josh Groban and Adam Lambert will take the stage to cover Presley standards. John Legend, Little Big Town, Jennifer Lopez, Post Malone, Shawn Mendes, Pistol Annies, Darius Rucker, Ed Sheeran, Carrie Underwood and Keith Urban will also be featured on the concert special. Mac Davis, who wrote a number of hits for Presley, including “In the Ghetto” and “A Little Less Conversation,” performs “Memories,” a song he and Billy Strange wrote specifically for Presley for the ’68 Special.

A compilation album titled The Best of the '68 Comeback Special, out Friday (Feb. 15) on RCA/Legacy Recordings, coincides with the televised concert and feature original performances from Presley as well as "I Can Dream" with added vocals from Underwood, Mendes, Post Malone, and Shelton. The project features 15 remastered performances from the '68 broadcast as well as three original studio recordings.

Ken Ehrlich is the executive producer of Elvis All-Star Tribute. A complete set list follows:

“Trouble”/”Guitar Man” – Blake Shelton
“Hound Dog” – Shawn Mendes
“Burning Love” – Keith Urban
“Baby, What You Want Me to Do” – Keith Urban & Post Malone
“Jailhouse Rock” – John Fogerty
“Can’t Help Falling in Love” – Ed Sheeran
“Always on My Mind” – Kelsea Ballerini
“Heartbreak Hotel” – Jennifer Lopez
“One Night” – Darius Rucker
“Suspicious Minds” – Blake Shelton
“Love Me Tender” – Alessia Cara
“Memories” – Mac Davis
“A Little Less Conversation” – John Legend
“Are You Lonesome Tonight” – Little Big Town
“Blue Suede Shoes” – Adam Lambert
“Love Me” – Pistol Annies
Hits Medley (“That’s All Right,” “Don’t Be Cruel,” “Blue Suede Shoes”) – Mac Davis, Post Malone, Little Big Town, Darius Rucker & Blake Shelton
Gospel Medley (“How Great Thou Art,” “He Touched Me,” “You’ll Never Walk Alone” – Carrie Underwood & Yolanda Adams
“Little Sister” – Dierks Bentley
“It’s Now or Never” – Josh Groban
“If I Can Dream” – Elvis Presley, Post Malone, Shawn Mendes, Darius Rucker, Blake Shelton, Carrie Underwood

Last edited by dex14; 02-17-19 at 08:11 AM. Reason: click on SOURCE in toolbar, then paste, then SOURCE again
Old 02-16-19, 10:31 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,097 Likes on 794 Posts
re: NBC's Elvis All-Star Tribute -- 2/17/19

Saw the promo for this and thought: Wow! That is a shitload of big-name performers on this show.

In addition to Shelton's performance, Yolanda Adams, Kelsea Ballerini, Dierks Bentley, Alessia Cara, John Fogerty, Josh Groban and Adam Lambert will take the stage to cover Presley standards. John Legend, Little Big Town, Jennifer Lopez, Post Malone, Shawn Mendes, Pistol Annies, Darius Rucker, Ed Sheeran, Carrie Underwood and Keith Urban will also be featured on the concert special. Mac Davis, who wrote a number of hits for Presley, including “In the Ghetto” and “A Little Less Conversation,” performs “Memories,” a song he and Billy Strange wrote specifically for Presley for the ’68 Special.
So that means all those in bold are not performing, but likely just doing some sort of tribute where they talk about how important Elvis was to them.

And I am much less interested, although I do love Alessia Cara.
Old 02-17-19, 06:51 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

re: NBC's Elvis All-Star Tribute -- 2/17/19

Originally Posted by Count Dooku
Saw the promo for this and thought: Wow! That is a shitload of big-name performers on this show.

So that means all those in bold are not performing, but likely just doing some sort of tribute where they talk about how important Elvis was to them.

And I am much less interested, although I do love Alessia Cara.
They will all be preforming. In the link, it tells what artist will be singing.
Old 02-17-19, 09:23 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Re: NBC's Elvis All-Star Tribute -- 2/17/19

I stand corrected. But that info was not in the OP when I posted my comment. (I can read)
Old 02-17-19, 11:32 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Not saying you can't read, but the link was in the OP. A big thank you to Dex 14 for adding the info that was in the link.
Old 02-17-19, 01:15 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Sonny Corinthos
Not saying you can't read, but the link was in the OP. A big thank you to Dex 14 for adding the info that was in the link.
Isn't there a forum guideline about not posting comments that are just instructing people to follow a link to another website?
Old 02-17-19, 01:16 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 549 Likes on 341 Posts

Big Elvis fan and the Comeback Special being one of my favs of his. "If I Can Dream" is also a top 10 favorite song so I don't think that I will be watching this based on the performers. It is like someone asked me my least favorite recording artists and they went with that list to make this show.

I will listen to and watch this instead.

Old 02-17-19, 02:35 PM
Banned

Received 376 Likes on 295 Posts

Notice how there are no blues artists on that list? Considering Elvis appropriated most of his early music from the black blues artists of the time you would think there would be at least one covering one of the songs that made him famous early in his career.

I assume John Fogerty and maybe Blake Shelton will perform one of those early covers like Hound Dog or That's All Right Mama.
Old 02-17-19, 03:12 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 810 Likes on 684 Posts

Originally Posted by stvn1974
Big Elvis fan and the Comeback Special being one of my favs of his. "If I Can Dream" is also a top 10 favorite song so I don't think that I will be watching this based on the performers. It is like someone asked me my least favorite recording artists and they went with that list to make this show.

I will listen to and watch this instead.

This special clearly isn't made for long-time Elvis fans. I own the King's entire recorded output and this list of performers isn't enticing in the least. The first time John Legend heard an Elvis song was when his agent said you have to do this tv special.
Old 02-17-19, 03:47 PM
Banned

Received 376 Likes on 295 Posts

Originally Posted by PhantomStranger
This special clearly isn't made for long-time Elvis fans. I own the King's entire recorded output and this list of performers isn't enticing in the least. The first time John Legend heard an Elvis song was when his agent said you have to do this tv special.
I can't believe they didn't get someone like Gary Clark Jr to perform Hound Dog or something. Not my favorite blues artist (to say the least) but the guy is everywhere.
Old 02-17-19, 04:02 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

If I can Dream from tonight's special featuring Elvis, Post Malone, Shawn Mendes, Darius Rucker, Blake Sheldon and Carrie Underwood.
Old 02-18-19, 10:35 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Beautiful performance of "How Great Thou Art" by Carrie Underwood. It is my favorite hymn.