Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

The Enemy Within (NBC) - Morris Chestnut, Jennifer Carpenter

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-19, 05:39 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 134 Likes on 97 Posts
The Enemy Within (NBC) - Morris Chestnut, Jennifer Carpenter

Erica Shepherd (Jennifer Carpenter), a brilliant former CIA operative now known as one of the most notorious traitors in recent American history, is serving life in a Supermax prison. Against every fiber of his being, but with nowhere else to turn, FBI agent Will Keaton (Morris Chestnut) enlists Shepherd to help track down a fiercely dangerous and elusive criminal she knows all too well. While Shepherd and Keaton have different motivations for bringing the enemy to justice, they both know that to catch a spy... they must think like one.

The cast includes Jennifer Carpenter, Morris Chestnut, Raza Jaffrey, Kelli Garner, Cassandra Freeman and Noah Mills.

"The Enemy Within" was created by Ken Woodruff, who executive produces alongside Matt Corman, Chris Ord and Charles Beeson. Mark Pellington directs and executive produces the pilot. Vernon Sanders also executive produces the pilot. "The Enemy Within" is produced by Universal Television.

CREDITS

Starring
Jennifer Carpenter, Morris Chestnut, Raza Jaffrey, Kelli Garner, Cassandra Freeman and Noah Mills

Executive Producers
Ken Woodruff, Matt Corman, Chris Ord, Charles Beeson, Vernon Sanders (pilot), Mark Pellington (pilot)

Created By
Ken Woodruff

I saw a preview for this the other day, but can’t say I’m familiar with the show. It’s possible it was announced as TBD during upfronts last year, but it doesn’t ring a bell.

Looks like a riff on Blacklist, except from Red’s perspective (with some changes). Think we may check it out, but don’t have a good sense on if it will make it.
Old 02-25-19, 08:17 AM

Received 4,584 Likes on 3,103 Posts
Re: The Enemy Within (NBC) - Morris Chesnut, Jennifer Carpenter

This premieres tonight.
Old 02-25-19, 11:10 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 350 Likes on 269 Posts

Was considering this, then realized I don’t need another “cop” show on my watchlist. Need a show that is more unique.

I agree, it does sound like The Blacklist.
Old 02-25-19, 12:43 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

So it's basically a watered down version of Homeland?
Old 02-25-19, 12:56 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 917 Likes on 677 Posts

I'm giving this a shot. I enjoyed Chestnut in Rosewood; worth the 40min to see if it's any good.
Old 02-25-19, 01:01 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,640 Likes on 2,613 Posts

Morris Chestnut's name in the thread title is misspelled FWIW

I've always like him. He was good in Rosewood and I've thought he was a cool with charisma. We'll see if Jen Carpenter is believable as some big criminal mastermind like Red Reddington. She was very hit and miss for me as Deb on Dexter.
Old 02-25-19, 10:01 PM
MrX
DVD Talk Hero

Received 259 Likes on 195 Posts
Re: The Enemy Within (NBC) - Morris Chestnut, Jennifer Carpenter

I thought it was decent, even though the agent that survived the attack turning out to be double agent was one of the most predictable twists in television history.
Old 02-25-19, 11:24 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 603 Likes on 435 Posts

Blacklist is done after this current season right?
This must be their idea to continue the same type of show.
Old 02-27-19, 12:50 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,640 Likes on 2,613 Posts

Yeah the Pilot was decent. It was well made and it looked like they put some money in this. There are definitely some similarities to The Blacklist. However, unlike Red Reddington, who is some criminal mastermind, Erica Shepherd was a reluctant traitor due to reasons explained in the Pilot.

It does set up a similar Blacklist-type structure with these Sleeper agents they have to find. I also wasn't that surprised the kidnapped agent turned out to be a double agent.
Old 02-27-19, 01:51 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 34 Likes on 26 Posts

I watch so few major network scripted shows that I'd forgotten how paint-by-numbers they are in terms of pacing and plot. I'm going to give it a few weeks but it was so predictable and the action scenes looked like they were pulled out of the '90s.
Old 03-04-19, 09:29 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 134 Likes on 97 Posts

We caught this on demand. It was pretty good, but felt like it needed some more polish, especially from a network pilot.

id have like some more backstory on Erica. I also feel like front loading all the flashback scenes might have give a better baseline and sense of where this lady was vs where she was after 3 years in jail.

Originally Posted by mugwump
I watch so few major network scripted shows that I'd forgotten how paint-by-numbers they are in terms of pacing and plot. I'm going to give it a few weeks but it was so predictable and the action scenes looked like they were pulled out of the '90s.
The car chase scenes were especially bad. You could see how all the different cuts and angles were spliced together in little snippets. The sad thing is that 3 minute car chase probably took 2-3 days to film!

We’ll check out a few more, but our tolerance for these shows dragging on is short. Hopefully since they showed the mole they’ll be quick to uncover after 2-3 episodes. I mean, we have made progress from the 24 days. They’d be on hour 20 before the mole was uncovered!
Old 03-04-19, 11:01 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 196 Likes on 168 Posts

Originally Posted by whotony
Blacklist is done after this current season right?
This must be their idea to continue the same type of show.
Probably more likely this show to replace Blindspot than Blacklist, considering that Blindspot is in its 4th season and is owned by Warner. The Blacklist is owned by Sony and Universal/NBC, where allegedly Universal/NBC has a 50% ownership stake.

The Enemy Within appears to be owned outright by Universal/NBC.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt8390342...?ref_=tt_dt_co
Old 03-04-19, 11:49 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 59 Likes on 47 Posts

It’s ridiculous they didn’t check the phone of the dead guy from the storage unit. That text he received would have instantly revealed the mole.