Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

Roseanne (ABC) -- Season 10 Thread -- premieres 3/27/18

TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Old 03-27-18, 05:34 AM

Received 449 Likes on 311 Posts

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/WLWq6L7hs3w" frameborder="0" allow="autoplay; encrypted-media" allowfullscreen></iframe>

SEASON PREMIERE

ROSEANNE AND DAN'S HOUSE BECOMES FULL AGAIN, WHILE BECKY MAKES AN IMPORTANT DECISION ABOUT HER FUTURE AND ROSEANNE AND DAN'S GRANDSON, MARK, IS BULLIED AT SCHOOL, WHILE BECKY BRINGS ANDREA HOME TO MEET THE FAMILY ON THE ONE-HOUR SEASON PREMIERE OF THE REVIVAL OF ABC'S 'ROSEANNE,' MARCH 27

The season premiere of the revival of "Roseanne" debuts with brand-new, back-to-back episodes on TUESDAY, MARCH 27 (8:00-9:00 p.m. EDT), on The ABC Television Network, streaming and on demand.

"Twenty Years to Life" - During the first half-hour episode of the season premiere, Roseanne and Dan adjust to living under the same roof with Darlene and her two children, Harris and Mark, when Darlene loses her job. Meanwhile, Becky announces she is going to be a surrogate to make extra money; and Roseanne and Jackie are at odds with one another.

Guest starring in this episode are Sarah Chalke as Andrea and Marques Ray as Ramon.

"Twenty Years to Life" was written by Bruce Rasumussen and directed by John Pasquin.

"Dress to Impress" - During the second half-hour episode, Darlene's son, Mark, gets caught with a pocket knife after being bullied on the first day of his new school. Meanwhile, Becky invites Andrea over to meet the family and is nervous to bring her home.

Guest starring in this episode are Sarah Chalke as Andrea, Judy Prescott as Miss Crane and Izzie Leigh Coffey as Girl.

"Dress to Impress" was written by Darlene Hunt and directed by John Pasquin.

The series stars Roseanne Barr as Roseanne Conner, John Goodman as Dan Conner, Laurie Metcalf as Jackie Harris, Lecy Goranson as Becky Conner-Healy, Sara Gilbert as Darlene Conner, Michael Fishman as D.J. Conner, Emma Kenney as Harris Conner-Healy, Ames McNamara as Mark Conner-Healy and Jayden Rey as Mary Conner.

Roseanne Barr is an executive producer, along with Sara Gilbert, Tom Werner, Bruce Helford, Whitney Cummings and Tony Hernandez. The series is from Carsey-Werner Television.
9 episodes
Old 03-27-18, 12:49 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 202 Likes on 163 Posts
Re: Roseanne (ABC) -- Season 10 Thread -- premieres 3/27/18

I was never a huge fan of the original but I watched it enough to be curious about the new season. I have my DVR set up to record the new episodes.
Old 03-27-18, 01:00 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 35 Likes on 26 Posts

I am extremely curious about this revival and as far as the original is concerned I maybe watched a dozen (if that) of the original run. I am aware that folks like Clooney were part of the shows cast, and of course I have seen episodes with the OG Becky and then at least an episode or two with the Sarah Chalke Becky.
Old 03-27-18, 01:40 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 65 Likes on 48 Posts

Roseanne and John Goodman were on Howard Stern today, as I was surprised (and happy) to hear Norm MacDonald is one of the head writers on the show. I loved the Original Roseanne show until it started to get stale (I think when they replaced Becky is when it sort of jumped the shark), but the first few years were great.

I'm anxious to see how they play the Trump politics in the show piting family member against family member. All in the Family is probably the greatest sitcom that dealt honestly with politics and gave both sides equally, as this attempt in the Trump era could be really funny or come off really awkward and grasping at straws. You believed Archie was a Conservative and Meathead/Gloria were a liberals, as hopefully both sides can be authentic in this show.
Old 03-27-18, 07:51 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

Sound seems off tonight.
Old 03-27-18, 08:10 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts

Thought it was great. Didn't really miss a beat.

I found it to be a bit emotional at times....maybe since I use to watch the show with my mom and grandparents when I was a kid.
Old 03-27-18, 08:21 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 257 Likes on 187 Posts

I loved the original run of the series (all but the last couple of seasons) so I was interested in seeing if the new series would be any good. I was pleasantly surprised! I thought all the actors slipped right back into their characters without missing a beat.

The Trump stuff seemed a little out of place yet completely fitting at the same time. “Time to say grace. Jackie would you like to take a knee?”

The show has an odd old school look and feel to it, the way it was filmed, staged, etc. but I think it worked.

And it took 30 years but D.J. is finally not annoying.
Old 03-27-18, 08:36 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts

Very happy with the return so far. The first episode had some footing and pacing issues. And some of the writing felt a little clunky and off. But the second episode worked just beautifully IMO. I laughed several times.
Old 03-27-18, 09:03 PM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

I think the writing was terrific, the acting was what seemed off to me.

Sara Gilbert was outacted by the ten year old playing her son.

Was she even trying? It seemed like she was just standing there reading lines.

Even as a child actress she seemed more emotive. I realize she just hosts a talk show now but jeez, being that she is a producer on the show you'd think she'd make more of an effort.

I was a big fan of the original show and I'm sorry to see this is only 9 episodes but I'm guessing it will get huge ratings and a full season renewal by ABC.

I wonder how committed the cast is continuing on past this first batch of shows...
Old 03-27-18, 09:14 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 118 Likes on 82 Posts

How did they bring Dan back? What was explanation. Not going to watch but was curious.
Old 03-27-18, 09:19 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 257 Likes on 187 Posts

Originally Posted by Deftones View Post
How did they bring Dan back? What was explanation. Not going to watch but was curious.
No explanation. They just started the first episode with a joke about thinking he was dead when he was asleep.

Frankly it was the best way they could have handled it. I stopped watching the show prior to the final season but remember little bits of the terribleness here and there. From what I could tell they basically ignored the final season (winning the lottery, Dan dying, etc.). All for the best, IMO.
Old 03-27-18, 09:30 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by GoldenJCJ View Post
No explanation. They just started the first episode with a joke about thinking he was dead when he was asleep.

Frankly it was the best way they could have handled it. I stopped watching the show prior to the final season but remember little bits of the terribleness here and there. From what I could tell they basically ignored the final season (winning the lottery, Dan dying, etc.). All for the best, IMO.
Honestly, the last two seasons were bad. With the final one being an unwatchable mess. The writing sharply dropped off after Season 7. But completely went off the rails in Season 9. This new season is such a welcome return. If only to make us forget about that last year.
Old 03-27-18, 09:35 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 29 Likes on 25 Posts

Haven’t seen the episode yet, but it’s funny how everyone in the trailer had lines/jokes, except for DJ.
Old 03-27-18, 09:40 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

It seemed to me they were implying the final season was actually that book Roseanne mentioned she wrote with that 50 Shades of Grey/Harry Potter joke.
Old 03-27-18, 09:40 PM
MrX
DVD Talk Legend

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

I liked it. Old and new Becky meeting was the highlight
Old 03-27-18, 10:27 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 202 Likes on 163 Posts

I thought both episodes were pretty good. It felt like everyone basically fell back into their roles naturally if you ask me. Other than being older I thought they all seemed about the same. I thought the first episode went a bit too heavy on the political debate between Roseanne and Jackie but otherwise was pretty good. Its kinda crazy how the show basically looks the same as far as the sets and stuff.
Old 03-28-18, 07:07 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 47 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by GoldenJCJ View Post
I was pleasantly surprised! I thought all the actors slipped right back into their characters without missing a beat.
I thought the same. Pretty cool that so many regulars were back.
Old 03-28-18, 07:28 AM
Suspended

Location: Indianapolis, IN. Welcome back my friends to the show that never ends. We're so glad you could attend. Come inside! Come inside!
Received 550 Likes on 379 Posts

My wife and I were surprised how much we enjoyed these episodes.

Already said but "Jackie would you like to take a knee? was the best line of the evening.
Old 03-28-18, 07:37 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I thought it was pretty bad. All the jokes seemed forced. Actors flubbed their lines and no one cared enough to reshoot those scenes.
Old 03-28-18, 07:54 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by bluesix View Post
I think the writing was terrific, the acting was what seemed off to me.

Sara Gilbert was outacted by the ten year old playing her son.

Was she even trying? It seemed like she was just standing there reading lines.

Even as a child actress she seemed more emotive. I realize she just hosts a talk show now but jeez, being that she is a producer on the show you'd think she'd make more of an effort.

I was a big fan of the original show and I'm sorry to see this is only 9 episodes but I'm guessing it will get huge ratings and a full season renewal by ABC.

I wonder how committed the cast is continuing on past this first batch of shows...

I caught a bit of it last night and that was my impression as well. I felt like I was watching a read through of the script or kids acting out a school play. The Becky character was awful and unconvincing.

I watched some behind the scenes stuff and it is really cool to see John Goodman and Roseanne just slip right back into these roles and have such a friendship off the show even when a lot of people hate Roseanne for her politics and stuff.
Old 03-28-18, 09:23 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Both episodes were excellent. I'm in for the season.
Old 03-28-18, 09:29 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Watched both.

First was just hampered with way too much political crap.

I'll stick around for the next 7. I don't know about a full season...but for now, sure.

After seeing Chalke, I'm really hoping she gets another shot at a show. She's fantastic.
Old 03-28-18, 09:40 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I'm middling on it. I never really seriously watched the original - just a timing thing, I think - but I caught eps here and there. Although if the level of dysfunction and yelling in last night's eps were the same, that might be why I didn't watch the original much.

They definitely hammered the political stuff much more than i expected. A few side gags (Russian dressing, take a knee) would have made the point.

The laugh track or laughing audience was horrible.

There were a few good serious moments - Darlene opening up to Roseanne, Dan supporting Mark while being concerned for him, and the realization that 'if i support your rights, that includes the right to do things I don't like'. And a few great gags (I really like Dan/John Goodman.)

I loved the meta/inside jokes and callbacks to the original series, and definitely liked having the cast back - but evolved (well, maybe just grown). I thought Becky's performance was really not that good, although I thought Darlene was (she was still independent, too-cool, can't-show-anything-bother-me).
Still recording - I try to give a show I'm interested in at least two or three eps past the pilot (except AP Bio, that pilot was awful, insta-delete), but so far I'm very on the fence.
Old 03-28-18, 10:07 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Huge overnight ratings! The overall hour had 18.16 million viewers and a 5.1 in the 18-49 demo (8-8:30 was a 4.9, 8:30-9 was a 5.3).
Old 03-28-18, 10:26 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 118 Likes on 82 Posts

Wow. With those numbers, even if half tune out for the rest of season, it is for sure getting picked up for another season.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.