Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

Most Annoying Unsupporting Wives in TV History ?

Community
Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Most Annoying Unsupporting Wives in TV History ?

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-19, 06:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 799 Likes on 567 Posts
Re: Most Annoying Unsupporting Wives in TV History ?

Originally Posted by cultshock
Oh god yes. Richard usually does a good job of dealing with (or at least humoring) her but the dude has the patience of a saint.
Yeah, Richard has to be the most put-upon, good-natured husband in the history of TV. I always thought he and equally abiding next-door neighbour Elizabeth would be perfect for each other, but upon rewatching episodes lately, I have learned that Elizabeth is married, and her husband works overseas (we never see him).
Old 01-29-19, 09:28 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 290 Likes on 211 Posts

ALL of the real housewives.
Old 01-29-19, 09:41 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Hyacinth Bouquet on KEEPING UP APPEARANCES
Old 02-01-19, 01:27 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2,211 Likes on 1,510 Posts

Originally Posted by Norm de Plume
Yeah, Richard has to be the most put-upon, good-natured husband in the history of TV. I always thought he and equally abiding next-door neighbour Elizabeth would be perfect for each other, but upon rewatching episodes lately, I have learned that Elizabeth is married, and her husband works overseas (we never see him).
Oh yeah, I always forget about Elizabeth's husband.

Coincidentally, I just heard some sad news that Clive Swift, who played Richard, very recently passed away at 82.
Old 02-01-19, 01:47 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 483 Likes on 319 Posts

Originally Posted by cultshock
Oh god yes. Richard usually does a good job of dealing with (or at least humoring) her but the dude has the patience of a saint.

https://www.bbc.com/news/entertainment-arts-47095343
Old 02-01-19, 04:29 PM
DVD Talk Legend

That's sad news. Seemed like a nice guy. I don't remember him in Excalibur or Frenzy, but I do remember his role in the sometimes-overrated Death Line.

"Oh, Richard, don't fall dead of a heart attack! Lying on the ground like that does not befit someone of your social standing. What would the Barker-Finches think if they saw you? I must call Elizabeth and cancel this afternoon's tea. It wouldn't do for her to see you in this disheveled condition."
Old 02-01-19, 05:10 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,468 Likes on 933 Posts

I saw a PBS interview with Patricia Routledge. She said that comedies about snobbery date back to ancient Greek theater. She loved being able to contribute to the genre.

Clive Swift made the show watchable. Richard truly loved Hyacinth. If it weren't for his skills as an actor, Hyacinth would have come across as a monster instead of a figure of mockery.
Old 02-01-19, 09:33 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Nick Danger
Clive Swift made the show watchable. Richard truly loved Hyacinth.
I don't agree that Richard loved Hyacinth at all. What could one possibly love in her? Absolutely nothing. Zero. He was simply bound by the strictures of conservative Anglo-Saxon society and Catholicism to stay in his miserable marriage. He faithfully did her constant bidding, but I never saw a glimmer of love on the part of either of them. She couldn't see past her own nose to acknowledge the concerns of others, and he just tried his best to please her, but often exhibited intense frustration.
If it weren't for his skills as an actor, Hyacinth would have come across as a monster instead of a figure of mockery.
Routledge was equally good in her role, and really, there wasn't a bad actor in the bunch. One of my favs was the woman who played Rose, with her hilariously severe manner of speech and uncontrollable harlotry: "You swine! I'm off men for good!" How many times did we hear that, and then she would meet a Mr. Braidenhall or somebody.
Hyacinth was a monster, but it was hard to hate her. The best thing would have been for everyone to stand up to her and refuse her demands, but then there wouldn't have been a show.