Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Project Blue Blook (History) -- S: Aidan Gillen -- UFO Drama series

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-19, 02:16 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,640 Likes on 2,613 Posts
Project Blue Blook (History) -- S: Aidan Gillen -- UFO Drama series

HISTORY’s upcoming new drama series ‘Project Blue Book’ is based on the true, top-secret investigations into Unidentified Flying Objects (UFOs) and related phenomena conducted by the United States Air Force from 1952 to 1969.

Dr. J. Allen Hynek (Aidan Gillen), a brilliant yet underappreciated college professor, is recruited by the U.S. Air Force to spearhead a clandestine operation called Project Blue Book. Along with his partner, the debonair Air Force Captain Michael Quinn (Michael Malarkey), he is summoned to investigate UFO sightings around the country and use science to discover what really happened. However, when some encounters cannot be explained away and cases remain open, Hynek begins to suspect that he has been duped by the government into a larger conspiracy to cover up the truth. Set against the backdrop of the Cold War and rising Atomic Era, each episode will draw from the actual Project Blue Book case files, blending UFO theories with authentic historical events from one of the most mysterious eras in United States history.

10 episode season

Looks like a period version of X-Files.

Last edited by DJariya; 01-21-20 at 12:47 PM.
Old 01-10-19, 06:52 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 134 Likes on 97 Posts
Re: Project Blue Blook (History) -- S: Aidan Gillen -- UFO Drama series

I heard a few radio ads for this, but haven’t heard or read much else. Anybody else hear if it’s worth checking out?
Old 01-10-19, 10:39 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,743 Likes on 1,889 Posts

Thought it was a bit of a letdown.

I have been fascinated by UFO culture since I was a kid, and this stuff is right up my alley even though I am a skeptic.

I thought the first episode lacked focus and tried to do too many things. Too many characters and subplots were dropped into the first hour to keep track of. This thing was just all over the place with the wife and her friend, and the Hynek’s investigation, and the military conspiracy stuff.

I might bank the episodes on my DVR and binge them when it’s over.
Old 01-10-19, 11:31 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 34 Likes on 26 Posts

I remember watching the original Project Blue Book series back in the late 70s so had to give this new iteration a try. I might give it a few weeks but so far it's a stinker. Since most of the effects were crappy CGI I don't get why they didn't use the actual aircraft that can be seen in the historical case files at the end of the show, a P-51 Mustang, instead of a T-6 Texan trainer that would have had no armament in it with which to engage a UFO. I suppose so they could shoehorn in the whole copycat flight that required a two-seater and ended in an oh so believable crash that ejected the good doctor but left him with nothing more than a scratch on his head. Yes, I'm being nit-picky but it shows how lazy the whole effort seems to be.
Old 01-10-19, 01:28 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I thought about watching this last night, but I passed.

Unless I find a giant spaceship hovering over my city someday, I remain a skeptic.
Too many times "evidence" turns out to be bogus or outright fraudulent.
If an alien species, with the technology needed to get here, wanted to visit Earth we wouldn't know about it unless they wanted us to.
So far I haven't seen anything close to that.
Old 01-19-19, 12:05 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 259 Likes on 152 Posts
Project Blue Book (History) —S: Aiden Gillen, Neal McDonough; Premiered 1/8/19

Project Blue Book is a Canadian-American historical drama television series that premiered on History on January 8, 2019. The main role of Josef Allen Hynek is played by Aidan Gillen, and the series will consist of ten episodes. The series is based on the real-life Project Blue Book, a series of studies on unidentified flying objects.

The series revolves around secret U.S. Air Force investigations into supposed UFO encounters and unexplained phenomenon, undertaken by astrophysicist, and eventual ufologist, Josef Allen Hynek in the 1950s and 1960s.

Anyone else been watching this? 2 episodes have aired so far and I’ve enjoyed it. It has a bit of an X-Files vibe, but in this case it’s a fictionalized account of real people. I’m not uet sure if the stuff they’re researching are based on actually historical events or are just made up for the show.
it’s worth cathing up on if it sounds like something you’d be into.
McDonough plays his typical asshole type of character, but it’s cool to see Gillen play a character cery unlike Littlefinger from GoT.
Old 01-19-19, 12:27 PM
DVD Talk God

Re: Project Blue Book (History) —S: Aiden Gillen, Neal McDonough; Premiered 1/8/19

https://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk/64...ma-series.html

Already a thread in existence. I made it the day before the premiere.
Old 01-19-19, 12:45 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 59 Likes on 47 Posts

I'm rather annoyed that Hynek isn't telling Quinn about the people shadowing them. I understand why Hynek won't mention the symbols, Quinn isn't exactly a flexible thinker yet, but being tailed is evidence of espionage or worse, which would seem to be a very important thing for Quinn to know. Besides, Hynek doesn't have any obvious motive for keeping that a secret. Quinn can protect him if those people get physical, and it's not as if Quinn has any reason to disbelieve somebody might be spying on them.

The Russian spy trying to cozy up to Hynek's wife is a little weird, what is Hynek supposed to have that would interest them? He's a low-level scientist, it's not like they're spying on Oppenheimer.
Old 01-20-19, 03:10 PM

Re: Project Blue Book (History) —S: Aiden Gillen, Neal McDonough; Premiered 1/8/19

Sorry. I specifically did a search for all relevant terms and got zero results.
Old 02-10-19, 02:53 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I love this show. Having two of my favorite Canadian actresses is a bonus. All of which means it’s headed for cancellation.

Last episode Hynek asked if the Air Force had “checked the databases.” I don’t think that’s a term anybody would be using in 1951.
Old 02-10-19, 12:21 PM
DVD Talk God

Renewed for a 2nd season: https://deadline.com/2019/02/project...ca-1202553267/
Old 02-10-19, 01:37 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by DJariya
Great news!
Old 03-19-19, 04:10 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

This is a definite mix of The X-Files and Fringe. I finally got around to the season finale. It was real nasty of Susie Miller to frame the neighbor after Mimi found her bug. I still don't understand what Susie's interest in Blue Book is or why she's going after Quinn since Blue Book is pretty much what it appears to be, with nothing that would really interest the Russians. Finding out the two generals in charge are running off-book black ops experiments on soldiers is at best a minor opportunity for blackmail, and she doesn't yet know about that to take advantage of it.

Last edited by randian; 03-19-19 at 07:23 PM.
Old 03-19-19, 05:03 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 812 Likes on 686 Posts

So the season is worth watching? Truth be told, the pilot didn't overwhelm me.
Old 03-19-19, 07:36 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by PhantomStranger
So the season is worth watching? Truth be told, the pilot didn't overwhelm me.
I really like it, but I'm an X-Files and Fringe fan.
Old 03-20-19, 06:52 AM

It’s ok. If the pilot underwhelmed you, might as well skip it. It’s a lot more of the same with minor mythology progressions. What I actually enjoyed more was reading up on the real cases that were fictionalized for the show.

Of course, I saw a UFO once so am a believer that SOMETHING is going on. That probably skews my perspective.
Old 08-12-19, 03:13 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Are past episodes of this, and other History Channel series, available on any streaming service, 1080i, no commercials?
Old 01-21-20, 12:50 PM
DVD Talk God

FYI, season 2 premieres tonight on History

If you're looking to catch up, you have 8 days to watch season 1 on demand or via the History app. They expire on the 29th.

Like most shows in this forum, this show seems to have no major interest or following here. Probably because there's too much to keep up with.
Old 01-21-20, 01:45 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 67 Likes on 58 Posts

I should see this show. The concept reminds me of the old "Project U.F.O." TV series that aired on NBC back in the late '70s which was like a proto-X-Files mixed with Dragnet, done with '70s-era production values ( https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Project_U.F.O. ). A show I have fond memories of that would most likely look like crap if I saw it today.

Old 01-21-20, 05:54 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,743 Likes on 1,889 Posts

Originally Posted by dhmac
I should see this show. The concept reminds me of the old "Project U.F.O." TV series that aired on NBC back in the late '70s which was like a proto-X-Files mixed with Dragnet, done with '70s-era production values ( https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Project_U.F.O. ). A show I have fond memories of that would most likely look like crap if I saw it today.

I remember this when I was a kid. I was probably four or five, and it was one of the first tv series I remember watching. I remember it being a bit scary and unsettling.

Caught some episodes on youtube a few years ago, and it doesn't hold up terribly well. It's very 1970s in its execution. Very slow-moving.