Community
Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

America's Got Talent: The Champions (NBC) -- premieres 1/7/19

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-19, 09:37 AM

Received 4,584 Likes on 3,103 Posts
America's Got Talent: The Champions (NBC) -- premieres 1/7/19

<iframe width="663" height="373" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/nOtCOYtiYaw" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

AMERICA'S GOT TALENT""THE CHAMPIONS ONE" ORIGINAL01/07/2019 (08:00PM - 10:00PM) (Monday) : In the series premiere, 10 of the most talented, memorable and all-around fan favorite acts from "AGT" and "Got Talent" competitions around the globe will perform for judges Simon Cowell, Mel B, Heidi Klum and Howie Mandel. Two of these renowned acts will move on to the finals - one will receive a Golden Buzzer, and one will be voted through by a panel of "AGT" Superfans. "Brooklyn Nine-Nine" star Terry Crews hosts.
Old 01-08-19, 06:16 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 215 Likes on 190 Posts
Re: America's Got Talent: The Champions (NBC) -- premieres 1/7/19

I haven't watched AGT for several years, but I really enjoyed this episode and will keep up with this series. It was nice to see 10 strong acts, and it's kind of a shame only two could go forward.
Old 01-08-19, 01:28 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 272 Likes on 201 Posts

How did the voting work for this? I know it wasn't live. It seems kind of rigged. I wonder if Susan Boyle only agreed to do it if they guaranteed she made it to the finals. How did that comedian beat any of the other acts?
Old 01-08-19, 02:08 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 266 Likes on 194 Posts

They don't even have all with previous winners. That makes no sense unless they declined to appear.
Old 01-08-19, 03:41 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 603 Likes on 435 Posts

The comedian is really good might be why he went through.

i don’t want to go back and look at the show again but how did the voting work?
If it wasn’t a live show, I don’t remember seeing a phone number or a way to vote anywhere?

Susan Boyle seems like such a cold act.
she doesn’t do anything g and she sings well I guess.

Seems her legend is bigger then what she actually is.
Old 01-08-19, 04:05 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by d2cheer
They don't even have all with previous winners. That makes no sense unless they declined to appear.
They mentioned that not everyone wanted to appear, - and risk losing. If they could have gotten all the winners, they probably would have. I was never clear on how the panel of voters representing all 50 states was assembled and how that worked. Preacher was helped by the fact he had a good set and he went last.
Old 01-08-19, 04:22 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Wasn't the whole thing prerecorded though? Even the vote and vote results?
Old 01-08-19, 04:28 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by windom
Wasn't the whole thing prerecorded though? Even the vote and vote results?
Yes. That's what's a little confusing about the voting method.
Old 01-08-19, 04:49 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,741 Likes on 1,889 Posts

They have a voting app.

This seems more like an exhibition than an actual competition.

I suspect that some previous contestants like Grace Vanderwaal (who just finished touring with Imagine Dragons) or Lindsey Stirling declined to appear because they have good careers going and were either too busy, didn’t need the exposure, or just couldn’t be bothered.
Old 01-08-19, 04:49 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The voting was "a panel of AGT super fans from all 50 states" otherwise known as the producers. I highly doubt they flew in fans from all 50 states or set up a simulcast to these fans.

I went looking for spoilers since it was pre-taped and it appears the finals were voted by the studio audience, so that might be authentic. This all-star cast could have been fun as a real season, as it is they should have just done it as a showcase and no finals or winner.
Old 01-08-19, 08:24 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Yeah I don't really understand what the point of it is. I think it works as a showcase of the 50 most memorable acts from all the talent shows(from the US and winners you have not seen before). But by making it a "competition" it doesn't really make any sense. The show being pre recorded and having two acts go through after being voted for by "AGT Superfans" just makes the whole thing seem rigged. Who are these superfans? How did they vote? It just feels like someone came up with an idea for an exhibition of talent and someone said "nah that will not work. We need a hook". The fun part is seeing how good all these acts are, but the "super fans" and competition part makes it feel cheap.
Old 01-09-19, 06:27 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

It's a competition because that's how you have to frame things these days. Otherwise, it would be a Variety Show, and networks don't have faith in those anymore as a weekly series.
Old 01-09-19, 07:10 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 382 Likes on 307 Posts

How did the mind reading act not move forward?? I have no idea how they could have possibly pulled off that video unless the whole process was edited for TV.
Old 01-09-19, 11:48 AM
DRG
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

It's silly because they promote that 2 acts will be voted through, but since every round is going to have a guaranteed Golden Buzzer, they're all really competing for one spot among the voters each round.
Old 01-09-19, 12:05 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Probably recorded a version for every possibility.
Old 01-11-19, 11:53 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Here's an article about how the voting works: https://www.realityblurred.com/reali...-viewer-votes/
Old 01-11-19, 04:50 PM
DVD Talk Hero

TL;DR — it’s probably rigged. Actually, if they’re not giving out a prize, it’s just an exhibition.

By the way, is anyone else really annoyed the editing during the “danger” acts where they keep cutting to the judges with stupid looks on their faces in the middle of the action? I want to see the sword swallower do a backflip, not a slackjawed Howie Mandel.
Old 01-11-19, 08:35 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Josh-da-man
TL;DR — it’s probably rigged. Actually, if they’re not giving out a prize, it’s just an exhibition.

By the way, is anyone else really annoyed the editing during the “danger” acts where they keep cutting to the judges with stupid looks on their faces in the middle of the action? I want to see the sword swallower do a backflip, not a slackjawed Howie Mandel.
What would be the point of rigging the competition? As for the editing, it's the same complaint I have when watching "So You think You Can Dance", -rather than focus on the dancer(s) for the entirety of the routine, they cut back to judges watching them. I suppose it's just to sell you on the sizzle, and they feel they need to do that. And that's the thing about a lot of things we bitch about here, -it's not done because they're jerks (though they might be) , it's done because they believe it's the most effective way to do something.
Old 01-13-19, 10:02 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 243 Likes on 178 Posts

Terry Crews is such a bizarre choice for the new host.
Old 01-13-19, 12:25 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by DWilson
What would be the point of rigging the competition?
They probably want to have an “all-star” finale or whatever, and want to control who is on it. I’d wager that most, if not all, of the acts who will appear in the finale (especially the golden buzzers) are predetermined.

Thr acts appearing are probably only doing so to increase their visibility, gain gets, and increase their social media popularity. They have all been established on AGT, or have appeared on other xGT programs and are making their American debuts.

It may be unfair to say it’s “rigged” but I don’t think anyone is appearing on this looking to actually win it. They just have to,present it as a competition in order to get people to watch it.

Old 01-21-19, 10:34 PM
DVD Talk Legend

How did a 3 year old win one of these shows? He won South Africa got Talent as a 3 year old dj.
All the kid did was press buttons on a music box.

Stand up who lost to dogs bombed.
Mr Poppycock is just a bad act.
The magician who did the trick with Heidi was decent.
I dislike self injury acts so I can do without those two.
Golden Buzzer for another little singing kid.

tourrettes guy seems to still have the odd accent. he is funny though.
Old 01-21-19, 10:40 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 173 Likes on 137 Posts

While they have done a nice job at bringing in some interesting returning acts, it is incredible how poorly they have chosen which acts to go to the finals. I would have selected none of those chosen so far. In fact, I would have placed all of them in the bottom half of their episodes. The final will be a joke.
Old 01-21-19, 10:48 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I sure hope that DJ kid was better on the South African version, because he wasn't at all impressive here.

They should have brought back that one male singer from last season that Simon kept saying he wanted to work with but then he got arrested for hitting his wife.
Old 01-21-19, 10:59 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Dorenbos was great as usual.

Judges shouldn’t use the gold buzzer until the end of the show, after they all performed..
Old 01-22-19, 01:56 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I’ve noticed that fully half of the acts going to the finale are ones who have never appeared on AGT (Boyle, Ramos, Opera Man), which seems a little suspect to me. Especially Opera Man; I don’t see him being America’s top pick.

As for the acts...

Kid DJ was meh. I’m not someone who is awed by DJs anyway.

The levitation act was good; presumably done with wires? There were so many cuts and shots rrom a distance I couldn’t really get a feel for how it was done.

Cotter bombed. That was like open mic nite at a comedy club in Nebraska.

Poppycock was fun, but sort of a novelty act.

Ryan and Amber were good. I generally like danger acts. Ditto the brother and sister on skates.

Tourettes does have a weird accent. Might be a speech impediment related to his condition?

Dorenbos wasn’t bad. Guessing that was either a forced pick, or the the XO tiles were iPad-like screens.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.