TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Escape at Dannemora (Showtime) D: Stiller, S: Del Toro, Dano, Arquette

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-19, 07:03 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 289 Likes on 214 Posts
Re: Escape at Dannemora (Showtime) D: Stiller, S: Del Toro, Dano, Arquette

Originally Posted by dex14
Her reaction sounds like she is exactly how she is depicted on the show.
Yep. She's a lying sack of shit.

Great series, btw.
Old 01-11-19, 10:28 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Paff
If this thing was released all at once, Netflix-style, I'd binge the shit out of it in one sitting.

Like I saw on another review site, I'm purposely not Googling the real story till after I watch all of this. I too am wondering how close it is to what actually happened. And regarding the security issues, I think it's safe to say that there's no way one person, especially as dim-witted as Tilly is (I remember seeing some articles when it happened and I believe Arquette is playing it pretty close to the real person) could facilitate a 2-prisoner escape unless there were massive security holes facility-wide.
And there absolutely were, as documented in the Inspector General's (Catherine Leahy Scott) extensive and detailed 150+ page report which was largely used as source material for the production. Highly recommend Googling it if so inclined to learn more.
Old 01-12-19, 12:42 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Just finished.. top notch
Old 01-12-19, 12:44 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 45 Likes on 37 Posts

Finished last night. Loved every episode.

More please, Mr. Stiller.
Old 01-16-19, 11:24 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

Just finished this and thought it was excellent. Arquette's performance stood out the most IMO.
It seemed like Matt believed they'd eventually get caught & escaped just for a few days of freedom & after Sweat ditched him he gave up & wanted to get caught.
I can't see any other reason for shooting at the trailer driving by. It didn't even look like he was aiming for it. Seemed like he just took the shots to draw attention to himself then waited it out for the police to show up.
Anyone else see it that way?
Old 01-16-19, 11:31 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by johnnysd
Tilly is such a worthless human being, and the others are just evil.
At least Sweat apologized to the cop after shooting & running him over... twice.

Old 01-17-19, 10:07 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 949 Likes on 723 Posts

Originally Posted by JZ1276
Just finished this and thought it was excellent. Arquette's performance stood out the most IMO.
It seemed like Matt believed they'd eventually get caught & escaped just for a few days of freedom & after Sweat ditched him he gave up & wanted to get caught.
I can't see any other reason for shooting at the trailer driving by. It didn't even look like he was aiming for it. Seemed like he just took the shots to draw attention to himself then waited it out for the police to show up.
Anyone else see it that way?
No, I think he was just drunk and exhausted. Drunk people tend to focus on one thing, in his case, carjacking. Watch a drunk person try to do a simple task like light a cigarette. They'll work at it for like 15 minutes straight and not just give up like a sober person would when failing at a task. He had carjacking on his mind the moment he found the rifle. Plus, Matt was like the proverbial dog who finally catches the car but doesn't know what to do with it. He had one plan after escaping, which was to meet Tilly. When that fell through, he just wandered around drunk. His attempt to shoot the car was a lame attempt by a newcomer at carjacking.

I was also thinking about this, oddly enough: a lot of people often say that in The Blair Witch Project, it was "the witch" who forced the trio to travel in circles. I thought they just acted like lost people in the woods. While Matt and Sweat did not travel in a circle, they clearly did not go very far (even in real life) considering the amount of time they were in the forest, proving that most people just don't navigate well in the wilderness.
Old 01-04-20, 01:45 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 87 Likes on 64 Posts

Finally got around to watching this. Saw it in a span of a few days. Great mini-series, I have to say though, the series works better with the episode 6 placement. I did find myself rooting for them to escape then you see the shit they did that feeling turns around quickly (though there was a tiny part of me that wanted to see Sweat escape). Kudos to Ben Stiller, the cast and the entire production.