Community
Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Escape at Dannemora (Showtime) D: Stiller, S: Del Toro, Dano, Arquette

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-18, 07:24 AM

Received 4,585 Likes on 3,104 Posts
Escape at Dannemora (Showtime) D: Stiller, S: Del Toro, Dano, Arquette

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/RVbOjP1Ziec" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

SHOWTIME has announced the premiere date for the new limited series ESCAPE AT DANNEMORA on Sunday, November 18 at 10 p.m. ET/PT. Directed and executive produced by Emmy winner Ben Stiller, ESCAPE AT DANNEMORA is an eight-hour limited series starring Academy Award(R) winners Benicio del Toro and Patricia Arquette and Golden Globe nominee Paul Dano. The announcement was made today at the Television Critics Association's summer press tour by David Nevins, President and CEO of Showtime Networks Inc. ESCAPE AT DANNEMORA is based on the stranger-than-fiction prison break in upstate New York in the summer of 2015 which spawned a statewide manhunt for two convicted murderers, aided in their escape by a married female prison employee who carried on months-long affairs with both men. Del Toro plays convicted murderer Richard Matt, an artistic yet intimidating force within the prison, who masterminds the escape. Arquette plays Tilly Mitchell, a working class wife and mother who supervises the prison tailor shop and becomes sexually involved with both men, ultimately agreeing to hide hacksaw blades in frozen hamburger meat to help them get out. Dano plays David Sweat, a convicted cop-killer who may have genuine feelings for Tilly and becomes a reluctant partner in Richard Matt's plot. The cast also features Golden Globe and Emmy nominee Bonnie Hunt, acclaimed actor Eric Lange and Emmy nominee David Morse. Produced by SHOWTIME, ESCAPE AT DANNEMORA is written and executive produced by Brett Johnson (Mad Men) and Oscar nominee Michael Tolkin (The Player), who met while working as writers on RAY DONOVAN. In addition to Stiller, Johnson and Tolkin, Bryan Zuriff (Steve Jobs, RAY DONOVAN), three-time Academy Award nominee Michael De Luca (The Social Network, Fifty Shades of Grey) via Michael De Luca Productions, and Nicky Weinstock for Red Hour Productions serve as executive producers.

PRINCIPAL CAST INFORMATION:
· Benicio del Toro as Richard Matt
· Bonnie Hunt as Catherine Leahy Scott
· David Morse as Gene Palmer
· Eric Lange as Lyle Mitchell
· Jeremy Bobb as Dennis Lambert
· Michael Beasley as Murder
· Michael Imperioli as Andrew M. Cuomo
· Patricia Arquette as Tilly Mitchell
· Paul Dano as David Sweat

CREW INFORMATION:
· Ben Stiller as EP/DIR (Pilot)
· Brett Johnson as CRTR/EP
· Bryan Zuriff as EP
· Michael De Luca as EP
· Michael Tolkin as CRTR/EP
· Nicky Weinstock as EP
7 episode limited series
Old 11-18-18, 09:31 AM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,207 Likes on 4,234 Posts
Re: Escape at Dannemora (Showtime) D: Stiller, S: Del Toro, Dano, Arquette

Awesome, I love true crime stories and will definitely watch this. I remember that case. Weird as hell. Love the cast in this. Can't go wrong casting David Morse in a prison movie.
Old 11-18-18, 07:45 PM

I watched the first ep On Demand. I thought it was great.
Old 11-20-18, 07:12 AM
Enormous Genitals

Location: a small cottage on a cul de sac in the lower pits of hell.
Received 583 Likes on 335 Posts

Yeah, it was very well done. I'm glad they're doing this as a limited series instead of a single movie so they can take the time to develop the characters.

The music choices are great so far as well.
Old 11-26-18, 12:37 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Watched the first Ep, will stick around .. pretty solid.
Old 11-28-18, 05:18 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 725 Likes on 591 Posts

Good performances and Paul Dano is underrated.

If only Paul Dano was nailing the True Romance Patricia Arquette in this show.
Old 11-28-18, 09:50 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 949 Likes on 723 Posts

I'm enjoying the hell out of this, but then again I'm a sucker for any prison escape movie, especially if it's based on a true story.
Old 11-28-18, 09:24 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Bandoman
Yeah, it was very well done. I'm glad they're doing this as a limited series instead of a single movie so they can take the time to develop the characters.

The music choices are great so far as well.
Watched the first two episodes. It's been great so far. Yes the music has been top notch too. Definitely some undertones for the song choices relating to Tilly.
Old 12-02-18, 08:45 PM
MrX
DVD Talk Hero

Received 259 Likes on 195 Posts

I work in a correctional facility and the fact that she was going in that back room, and closing the door, didn’t set off alarm bells all over the place is hard to believe.
Old 12-05-18, 07:27 AM

This show is excellent
Old 12-05-18, 07:36 AM

Originally Posted by MrX
I work in a correctional facility and the fact that she was going in that back room, and closing the door, didn’t set off alarm bells all over the place is hard to believe.
Well... it is based on a true story.
Old 12-05-18, 09:53 AM
DVD Talk Legend

If this thing was released all at once, Netflix-style, I'd binge the shit out of it in one sitting.

Like I saw on another review site, I'm purposely not Googling the real story till after I watch all of this. I too am wondering how close it is to what actually happened. And regarding the security issues, I think it's safe to say that there's no way one person, especially as dim-witted as Tilly is (I remember seeing some articles when it happened and I believe Arquette is playing it pretty close to the real person) could facilitate a 2-prisoner escape unless there were massive security holes facility-wide.
Old 12-10-18, 10:28 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 618 Likes on 497 Posts

Watched the first 3 episodes over the weekend. Really really good.
Old 12-12-18, 10:00 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Oof. If I didn't have claustrophobia before, this latest episode sure gave it to me. Wow that was an intense effect. Who knew Ben Stiller was that good of a director?

That said, can anyone explain the plastic bag and the fan? I couldn't quite figure out what he was doing with that.
Old 12-12-18, 10:03 AM

Originally Posted by Paff
Oof. If I didn't have claustrophobia before, this latest episode sure gave it to me. Wow that was an intense effect. Who knew Ben Stiller was that good of a director?

That said, can anyone explain the plastic bag and the fan? I couldn't quite figure out what he was doing with that.
Yea, I started to wince during that sequence. I don't like the feeling of being constricted.
Old 12-16-18, 06:06 PM

Props to Stiller on the opening shot in this week’s episode.
Old 12-16-18, 06:10 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 922 Likes on 776 Posts

i really thought it was another named Ben Stiller, but then you never know. well done Ben...
Old 12-18-18, 08:02 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 725 Likes on 591 Posts

Tilly's Mitchell's taste in music whenever she turns the radio on
Old 12-19-18, 05:30 AM

Originally Posted by dex14
Props to Stiller on the opening shot in this week’s episode.
Yeah that was great.

This has been one of the best shows of the year imho
Old 12-19-18, 10:09 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Yeah, I can't believe we're still on page 1 of discussing the show here. It's fantastic. A lot of shows I half-ass watch, as in I'll be checking my phone or posting here while it's on, but Escape at Dannemora holds my complete and total attention for the entire hour (which tends to seem like around 20-25 minutes tops, but it is indeed an hour)
Old 12-19-18, 10:01 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 849 Likes on 592 Posts

I binged the first 5 episodes and now have to patiently wait for each episode to air. Ugh.

This is a really good show. It's amazing that I've only heard about it on this forum, and I've yet to see any mention of it anywhere else.

This is definitely one of those shows where I think is best consumed in binge-fashion.
Old 12-20-18, 05:47 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Same. My wife and I watched the the 5 episodes in the last 3 days, and we are hooked.

I still remember the story from a few years back. I'm guessing they took some artistic liberties with the real story, but I don't want to google anything until the series ends.
Old 12-22-18, 04:49 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 45 Likes on 37 Posts

I'm impressed with every aspect of this show. Stiller's direction is fantastic, the leads (especially Arquette...wow!) are stellar and the writing is solid.

Hope to see Stiller more in the Director's Chair in the future. He's got a keen eye for visual shots and lighting.
Old 12-23-18, 04:44 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

‘Escape At Dannemora’ Showtime Series Subject Calls Director Ben Stiller “A Liar”
Spoiler:

A former prison worker who helped two inmates escape is angry with director Ben Stiller about her portrayal in his Showtime series, Escape At Dannemora, which details the strange story.

Joyce “Tillie” Mitchell, 54, whom the tabloids nicknamed the “Shawskank,” was convicted of helping killers David Sweat and Richard Matt escape from the Dannemora Correctional Institute. Mitchell was allegedly romantically involved with both.

The two sawed their way through the walls of the prison with hacksaw blades purchased by Mitchell and smuggled into the prison. Their attempted escape ended with one inmate shot dead and the other recaptured.

She later claimed she did it because she feared the two, not – as prosecutors allege – because she was in love with them.

Mitchell is now serving a seven-year sentence for her role in the 2015 prison break, which resulted in a 23-day, $20 million manhunt involving 1,500 law enforcement officers. She pleaded guilty to promoting prison contraband and facilitating criminal activity. She is eligible for early release in June 2019; if she serves her maximum sentence, she’ll be out in June 2022.

She gave her first interview to the New York Post since the Showtime series began airing in November.

“I never had sex with them,” she said. “Ben Stiller is a son-of-a-bitch liar, just like the rest of the world. He doesn’t care about the truth. All he cares about is making millions off me. He’s an idiot.”

Mitchell said she didn’t accept visitors whose names she didn’t recognize, but allowed the Post reporter in because she was curious about her Showtime portrayal.

“I wish I could take it all back. If I had to do it over, I would have told somebody,” she said of her role in the escape. “At that point, I had to do it. I was stupid. They took advantage of my kindness.”

Patricia Arquette plays Mitchell in the series. Arquette didn’t visit her in prison for research, which remains a sore point for Mitchell. “The truth doesn’t sell,” Mitchell said. “Everyone thinks I’m just a whore who wanted it.”

The Showtime series portrays exactly that, depicting Mitchell as a lovelorn, middle aged woman who had regular sex with the two inmates in a storeroom of the prison sewing shop. The inmates in the Showtime series are played by Benicio Del Toro and Paul Dano.

Mitchell told investigators she was “caught up in the fantasy” of helping the escapees and creating another life. She now claims she doesn’t remember saying that.

Although she is mad at her portrayal, Mitchell hasn’t seen the show. Her details come from the guards at the Bedford Hills prison and husband, Lyle, a frequent visitor. “He comes to visit me every two weeks. He will be here on Christmas Day,” she said.

Mitchell said she hasn’t had any contact with her fellow escapee Sweat, who is serving a life sentence at Five Points prison in Romulus, NY.

She’s also planning a book: “Then the truth will come out.”

https://deadline.com/2018/12/escape-...ar-1202525389/
Old 12-23-18, 04:58 PM

Her reaction sounds like she is exactly how she is depicted on the show.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.