TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

The Conners (ABC) — Season 1 Thread — premieres 10/16/18

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-18, 01:46 PM
DVD Talk Ruler

Received 1,280 Likes on 731 Posts
Re: The Conners (ABC) — Season 1 Thread — premieres 10/16/18

Originally Posted by windom
This was the 2nd highest rated show of the night, but a certain "news" source is reporting that The Conners was "beaten by everything" last night. This false report seems to be getting picked up by a lot of other places.
I hadn't heard anything about the ratings.. I though the show was doing OK but obviously not where it was when Rosanne was on it.

Single episode orders are never good. Last week they ordered 4 more if I'm not mistaken which was a decent sign (not a good as a full order but it means they believed in continuing to invest in it). A single order is usually a finale. Or, maybe, they got Rosanne to come back to wrap up the season? Never know..
Old 10-31-18, 02:17 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by windom
This was the 2nd highest rated show of the night, but a certain "news" source is reporting that The Conners was "beaten by everything" last night. This false report seems to be getting picked up by a lot of other places.
People on the right spreading fake news? Shocking.

The show is far better this season for the simple fact that the one note, cackling Roseanne isn't on it.
Old 10-31-18, 04:04 PM
DVD Talk Ruler

Received 1,280 Likes on 731 Posts

Originally Posted by hdnmickey
People on the right spreading fake news? Shocking.

The show is far better this season for the simple fact that the one note, cackling Roseanne isn't on it.
Well we watched it last season as my wife is a fan on the original show and we thought it was pretty good.. we've been watching this season as well but not enjoying it as much so far. Some folks say it's the writing.. maybe..
Old 10-31-18, 05:17 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 290 Likes on 211 Posts

The premiere's ratings got a bump:

https://variety.com/2018/tv/ratings/...rs-1202998660/

And the ratings bumped up a little from last week too, making it the second highest rated show of the night:

https://tvbythenumbers.zap2it.com/da...y-oct-30-2018/
Old 11-02-18, 01:12 AM

Received 46 Likes on 36 Posts

I'm enjoying the show and I don't see what difference having the Roseanne character would have made to this season's episodes. She wouldn't have added or made any episode better or worse for me.

What it comes down to is the writing and this season just isn't as strong as last years. I suspect the novelty of exploring where these characters ended up so many years later has quickly worn off and now they are left with the usual sitcom cliche plots to try to make interesting.

I wish they wouldn't waste Laurie Metcalf who seems to have devolved back to the 'wacky jacky' character of the past. Adding big name guest starts like Mary Steenburgen or Matthew Broderick is just wasted when they are used so badly for a handful of lines.

Seeing Mary Steenburgen play the friend who supplied the opioids that killed the Roseanne character I couldn't help but think how great it would have been if they added her to the cast permanenty. She had great chemistry with John Goodman and they could easily bring her in as Dan's new love interest.

Sara Gilbert continues to be the weakest element. Her monotone delivery sucks the air out of the room and her character is the least interesting.

The surprise for me is Lecy Goransen's Becky. To me she is the best thing on the show right now. She does so much with the few things they give her right down to her facial expressions. Knowing her backstory as the 'smart sister/good girl' who was supposed to go on to great things and how she ended up as a trampy waitress with ugly tattoos makes her that much more tragic and funnier. I hope they find more for her to do.
Old 11-02-18, 07:03 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 66 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by bluesix

The surprise for me is Lecy Goransen's Becky. To me she is the best thing on the show right now. She does so much with the few things they give her right down to her facial expressions. Knowing her backstory as the 'smart sister/good girl' who was supposed to go on to great things and how she ended up as a trampy waitress with ugly tattoos makes her that much more tragic and funnier. I hope they find more for her to do.
I have to agree with this. Becky has been my favorite on the show lately and loved what they did with her character starting last season.
Old 11-02-18, 10:59 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 849 Likes on 592 Posts

I also think the Becky character's the best character on the show, although sometimes the actress tries too hard in her acting. I like the character because she's comfortable with how pathetic her life is.

It seems that Darlene and Becky are just the modern day Roseanne and Jackie.
Darlene seems to be the center of the show, and Becky is the lonely, single and desperate sister.
Old 11-02-18, 05:19 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I don't mind Sara Gilbert at all. She's not a dry as she was 20 plus years ago, but I think she's doing a fine job. But like a few of you here, Lecy Goransen has turned out to be my favorite. And if I can just add, she looks really really good. Has the body of someone half her age. Great genes!
Old 11-02-18, 08:35 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,245 Likes on 856 Posts

Just caught up on the "Halloween" episode ... what a waste of time. It was possibly the most bland thing I have watched in a long time.

I guess my issue is this ... the show has no direction for the characters.

I thought Becky's alcoholism was going to go somewhere, but nobody seemed to care this week.

Darlene keeps looking for a job, but there is no repercussion from her being unemployed.

David was back ... and he's gone, no big deal.

The world seems to have accepted Mark (even though I hate the performance the actor is giving).

No issues for DJ and his wife and daughter ... nothing about being a mixed-race couple. No PTSD from the war. Yawn.

Jackie is Jackie. Dan is Dan.

There is no conflict that the characters are working to resolve. Any real hard-core issues they have mentioned they have retreated from even quicker.
Old 11-02-18, 11:40 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Abob Teff
Just caught up on the "Halloween" episode ... what a waste of time. It was possibly the most bland thing I have watched in a long time.

I guess my issue is this ... the show has no direction for the characters.

I thought Becky's alcoholism was going to go somewhere, but nobody seemed to care this week.

Darlene keeps looking for a job, but there is no repercussion from her being unemployed.

David was back ... and he's gone, no big deal.

The world seems to have accepted Mark (even though I hate the performance the actor is giving).

No issues for DJ and his wife and daughter ... nothing about being a mixed-race couple. No PTSD from the war. Yawn.

Jackie is Jackie. Dan is Dan.

There is no conflict that the characters are working to resolve. Any real hard-core issues they have mentioned they have retreated from even quicker.
Great observations all around. I agree that the direction is all over the place. But addressing Becky's alcoholism, Darlene's unemployment and David's sudden absence seems a bit premature. We're only three episodes in on the new season. Let's see how it all plays out. I also agree with you about the actor who plays Mark. I find his style to be too Disney Channel. And it's unrealistic that he would be so accepted and not bullied in a town like Landford. Now that could make for some great television. Regarding DJ and his African American wife, I don't think either will ever be properly addressed. Sadly. They are more like props at this point.
Old 11-03-18, 07:52 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 217 Likes on 192 Posts

It's a sitcom and like a sitcom, if it's around long enough, it will deal with each of these things eventually. However, each of these things will be important for one episode and resolved to some extent, and not brought up until they need it again.
Old 11-13-18, 09:46 PM

Another meh episodes - but one that will make the Republicans explode with the anti-Trump and church talk. Becky is the only one on the show I like by this point...
Old 11-13-18, 10:03 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by mickey65
Another meh episodes - but one that will make the Republicans explode with the anti-Trump and church talk. Becky is the only one on the show I like by this point...
I liked everything but the meeting scene that Dan went to. Agree with you that Becky is the stand out so far this season. Goransen is really shining. But I also think there is great chemistry with Goodman and both daughters. And Metcalf made me laugh out loud twice. When she went after the guy in the MAGA hat and her outfit in church.
Old 11-20-18, 07:33 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I thought tonight's show was great! Best one of this and last season (so far).
Old 11-20-18, 09:59 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 55 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by Daytripper
I thought tonight's show was great! Best one of this and last season (so far).
Was there a scene missing or something? They went from Dan thinking Becky was sick because of a hangover to them congratulating her on the pregnancy. Weird.
Old 11-20-18, 10:07 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Double_Oh_7
Was there a scene missing or something? They went from Dan thinking Becky was sick because of a hangover to them congratulating her on the pregnancy. Weird.
!? No. Becky came into the house to announce some big news. Specifically letting Dan know that she wasn't sick from being hungover. Telling everyone she was pregnant.
Old 11-20-18, 10:11 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 55 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by Daytripper
!? No. Becky came into the house to announce some big news. Specifically letting Dan know that she wasn't sick from being hungover. Telling everyone she was pregnant.
Weird I must have totally spaced out during that .
Old 11-20-18, 11:01 PM

Becky is now even more White trashy with the added baby from a co-worker...
Old 11-20-18, 11:42 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 849 Likes on 592 Posts

I don't like Becky being preggers. Feels like the typical lazy writing to drum up some story lines and drama. Maybe she'll wind up losing the baby to add to her already sad life of losing her husband and more recently mom.
Old 11-21-18, 07:04 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

End of series is just Becky committing suicide.
Old 11-27-18, 11:04 PM

Another solid episode from Lecy Goranson tonight.

At first I thought they were going to go down the path of her having a baby with the lesbian couple which felt very 'late series Roseanne' and I was so glad when they turned it around with her guilt over her alcoholism.

Very nice moment with Becky and Darlene bonding at kitchen table.

I feel like this show has turned the corner and found its footing without Roseanne's shadow hanging over it.

While they keep cramming Darlene's life as the 'A' storyline to follow, I still see her one-note flat acting style as the weakest part of every episode.

The other weak spot continues to be Aunt Jackie. They just don't seem to know what to do with her but since its Laurie Metcalf they try to find a way to give her screen time. I HATE the over the top way she is acting this season but I suppose she has always been that way on this show and Roseanne's character somehow balanced her out. Hopefully the writers find something more for her to do.
Old 11-27-18, 11:39 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Another solid episode from Lecy Goranson tonight.

At first I thought they were going to go down the path of her having a baby with the lesbian couple which felt very 'late series Roseanne' and I was so glad when they turned it around with her guilt over her alcoholism.

Very nice moment with Becky and Darlene bonding at kitchen table.

I feel like this show has turned the corner and found its footing without Roseanne's shadow hanging over it.

While they keep cramming Darlene's life as the 'A' storyline to follow, I still see her one-note flat acting style as the weakest part of every episode.

The other weak spot continues to be Aunt Jackie. They just don't seem to know what to do with her but since its Laurie Metcalf they try to find a way to give her screen time. I HATE the over the top way she is acting this season but I suppose she has always been that way on this show and Roseanne's character somehow balanced her out. Hopefully the writers find something more for her to do.
Metcalf's "over the top" acting has been dialed way back during this entire season of "The Conners". It was much worse during the "Roseanne" revival last Spring. I think she's doing a great job. And Gilbert's acting is also fine. Why do you think Darlene's story line is being crammed? She was a huge part of the original "Roseanne" the last few years. So her story deserves to continue and be mostly the center of attention. But the character of Becky is also becoming more interesting. And I agree with you about is Goranson. She is the very best thing about this show at this point. I think her performance deserves an Emmy nomination at the very least. I will also agree that while I miss the character Roseanne, the show is truly surviving without her.
Old 11-28-18, 04:25 PM

You are probably right. I am being too hard on Sara Gilbert. I think its mainly from having watched her on 'The Talk'. If you watch her on that show where she is basically being herself and then watch her on Conners you realize she is playing Darlene as herself, which is fine.

I think Darlene always got the most attention on the original show because she was seen as the daughter that Roseanne, as a Mom, identified with most. It also didn't hurt that Lecy got replaced by Sarah Chalke and the Becky character was sidelined for a while.

I wholeheartedly agree with you that Lecy deserves some recognition. I remember seeing her give a decent performance in 'Boys Don't Cry' 20 years ago and wondering if her movie career would take off. Hopefully the writers continue to give her some meat to work with. Playing an alcoholic single mother on a sitcom where you are supposed to be funny is challenging but she is going to need more of those kitchen table scenes to get her awards consideration going up against Kimmy Schmidt and Mrs. Maisel.
Old 11-29-18, 11:32 PM
DVD Talk Legend

You are probably right. I am being too hard on Sara Gilbert. I think its mainly from having watched her on 'The Talk'. If you watch her on that show where she is basically being herself and then watch her on Conners you realize she is playing Darlene as herself, which is fine.

I think Darlene always got the most attention on the original show because she was seen as the daughter that Roseanne, as a Mom, identified with most. It also didn't hurt that Lecy got replaced by Sarah Chalke and the Becky character was sidelined for a while.

I wholeheartedly agree with you that Lecy deserves some recognition. I remember seeing her give a decent performance in 'Boys Don't Cry' 20 years ago and wondering if her movie career would take off. Hopefully the writers continue to give her some meat to work with. Playing an alcoholic single mother on a sitcom where you are supposed to be funny is challenging but she is going to need more of those kitchen table scenes to get her awards consideration going up against Kimmy Schmidt and Mrs. Maisel.

First, I agree that Lecy was very memorable in "Boys Don't Cry". But then you never heard from her again. Until now. If I can be honest, I never got the appeal of "Kimmy Schmidt". And while I thought "Mrs. Maisel" was a really good show, I felt the performance by the lead actress seemed really forced.

I've never seen "The Talk", so I don't know what kind of host Sara Gilbert is. And while I'll agree that as an actress Gilbert doesn't have a huge range, she was quite good on "The Big Bang Theory". And her one guest spot on "Will & Grace" was really funny. But she has a way nailing deadpan lines when playing Darlene that really suits her.
Old 11-30-18, 07:25 AM

Well, you never know. The show may limp into a second season. I really like Becky on the show. Not too thrilled with the budding romance with Darlene and her boss tho.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.