TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

The Conners (ABC) — Season 1 Thread — premieres 10/16/18

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-18, 07:55 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 290 Likes on 211 Posts
Re: The Conners (ABC) — Season 1 Thread — premieres 10/16/18

Originally Posted by OldBoy
never saw any other episode, but didn't hate this at all. don't know if i'll stick with it, but it was pretty entertaining and like everyone said, great cast that still holds together well...
I love these characters and the actors have tremendous chemistry.
Old 10-16-18, 07:56 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by JackoOnHisBacko
Hmm, didn't expect that to be her cause of death.
And yes, Goodman does look bad.
Why? Semmed like the obvious option after coving her addiction, and getting more pills illegally, during the last short season.
Old 10-16-18, 08:04 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 215 Likes on 190 Posts

I was pretty much done with this about half-way through, -it just didn't engage me.
Old 10-16-18, 08:06 PM

Received 49 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by hdnmickey
Why? Semmed like the obvious option after coving her addiction, and getting more pills illegally, during the last short season.
Because I really didn't see much of the last season, and definitely didn't see her getting any pills illegally.

With the episode title "Keep on truckin'", I was just expecting it to be a random vehicular accident.
Old 10-16-18, 08:49 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,244 Likes on 855 Posts

Really?

Old 10-16-18, 08:51 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Because I really didn't see much of the last season, and definitely didn't see her getting any pills illegally.

With the episode title "Keep on truckin'", I was just expecting it to be a random vehicular accident.
Ok, you’re excused.
Old 10-16-18, 08:52 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 846 Likes on 591 Posts

Roseanne's absence had absolutely no negative effect on the show. In fact, I thought this was better than all the episodes last season.

I always found Roseanne Barr and the Roseanne character annoying, so her not being on the show automatically gives the shows score and extra point. Barr's a piece of shit, so I hope her career is over.

Also, Goodman's lost a good amount of weight - but there's something off about him. He looks to be struggling a bit when he's walking and just looks like he's battling a sickness of some sort. He's only 66 years old, so it's possible all those years of abuse to his body is causing problems for him now despite the weight loss.
Old 10-16-18, 08:58 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Daytripper
Save for the rearranging of the kitchen scene with the coffee maker, Metcalf has dialed the overacting way back. But even that scene was not as over the top as last year.
Actually, that kitchen scene finally made me realize what Metcalf has been doing with the character. I thought the over-the-top acting has always been horrific and wondered how she could be the actress that she is. Then the character goes through spells of normalcy. That scene emphasized the manic nature of Jackie though — when she is having an episode is when the character gets super-wacko.
Old 10-16-18, 09:26 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,729 Likes on 1,884 Posts

Originally Posted by Coral
Roseanne's absence had absolutely no negative effect on the show. In fact, I thought this was better than all the episodes last season.

I always found Roseanne Barr and the Roseanne character annoying, so her not being on the show automatically gives the shows score and extra point. Barr's a piece of shit, so I hope her career is over.
It’s a bit like Seinfeld, where the title character is the least interesting character, but is the lynchpin that holds all of the other characters together.

There’s really no way to do Seinfeld without Jerry Seinfeld, but I think The Conners can pull off Roseanne without Roseanne Barr because of the familial relationship. It will be interesting to see if they can keep it up.
Old 10-16-18, 09:54 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3,201 Likes on 2,066 Posts

For some odd reason I think the producers are purposely making Dan look sickly on the show. I’ve seen recent interviews with Goldman and he doesn’t look nearly as bad as they have him looking on the show.

I mostly enjoyed the episode but the timeline of her death seemed a little off. They said she had died 3 weeks ago but the family was talking about her nonstop as if it had just happened a few days prior. Then the kid who had to make a choice about which boy to sit next to on the bus was apparently a conversation that hadn’t been finished with Roseanne, seemingly almost a month ago, but was apparently an urgent matter now.
Old 10-16-18, 10:24 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 846 Likes on 591 Posts

Originally Posted by GoldenJCJ
I mostly enjoyed the episode but the timeline of her death seemed a little off. They said she had died 3 weeks ago but the family was talking about her nonstop as if it had just happened a few days prior. Then the kid who had to make a choice about which boy to sit next to on the bus was apparently a conversation that hadn’t been finished with Roseanne, seemingly almost a month ago, but was apparently an urgent matter now.
I noticed that as well.
If it had been only a few days since she died, the characters would be in the deepest stage of mourning and wouldn't be spitting out jokes like they did - which is death for a comedy. So they had to make it longer period of time.
However, they still needed some exposition as well and have the characters go through their grieving process for the audience - so we can see the affects.
Old 10-16-18, 10:52 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 66 Likes on 55 Posts

I thought it was pretty good and I'll keep watching. Just like in the last season and this...I really like that "old school" vibe to it, making it feel like season 4-5. I'm so glad they have the original Becky on this one. I like how her and Darlene snipe back and forth at each other. It wasn't like that with the "other" Becky.

I also like Becky the way she's turned out - it gives her more of an "edge" now.
Old 10-16-18, 10:57 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 40 Likes on 25 Posts

If you watched last season, how could you not expect that? I think everyone called that was going to be the cause.

Yeah, but would she return? I bet she wouldn't. She feels royally fucked over. Not only by the network, but the cast too. None came to her defense after the tweet. Goodman, Metcalf and Gilbert have all reached out to her recently. She hasn't responded.
Where is the source that they reached out and she didn't respond? I know Gilbert went off on her as did some of the newer cast members. However, Goodman never spoke bad about her like the others did. He very much never threw Roseanne under the bus at least in public. I think Metcalf stayed pretty silent as well. You can't really come to the defense for her with that tweet, either. I mean, you can say she isn't a racist but she obviously has a huge agenda against the left and is known to have quite the mouth.

While Roseanne is a HUGE part of the overall show, she isn't the make or break character. I do feel that is Goodman and the reason I say that is if you go off the later episodes during the first run, when Goodman was out of the show due to an affair (not sure the real reason, maybe he was making movies?), I felt the show kind of went downhill focusing on just Roseanne and then of course how much money they got. I do feel her character is an important part, especially for Jackie's character because an entire series of just Jackie might be too much.
Old 10-17-18, 12:04 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by jacob_b
If you watched last season, how could you not expect that? I think everyone called that was going to be the cause.

Where is the source that they reached out and she didn't respond? I know Gilbert went off on her as did some of the newer cast members. However, Goodman never spoke bad about her like the others did. He very much never threw Roseanne under the bus at least in public. I think Metcalf stayed pretty silent as well. You can't really come to the defense for her with that tweet, either. I mean, you can say she isn't a racist but she obviously has a huge agenda against the left and is known to have quite the mouth.

While Roseanne is a HUGE part of the overall show, she isn't the make or break character. I do feel that is Goodman and the reason I say that is if you go off the later episodes during the first run, when Goodman was out of the show due to an affair (not sure the real reason, maybe he was making movies?), I felt the show kind of went downhill focusing on just Roseanne and then of course how much money they got. I do feel her character is an important part, especially for Jackie's character because an entire series of just Jackie might be too much.

Where is the source? It's been everywhere online. And on TV. All three actors said they've done this. Hell, even Roseanne herself acknowledged that Goodman said some nice things about her and she basically said that he doesn't know her.

https://www.nbc.com/access/video/ros...tmates/3807519
Old 10-17-18, 07:30 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 366 Likes on 266 Posts

Still a great show. Not sure if we'll get more than a season or two.
Old 10-17-18, 09:34 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I liked it well enough. This show has never really had amazing actors (except Goodman), but I sort of cringed every time DJ, his wife, and his daughter had lines.
Old 10-17-18, 10:17 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Where is the source? It's been everywhere online. And on TV. All three actors said they've done this. Hell, even Roseanne herself acknowledged that Goodman said some nice things about her and she basically said that he doesn't know her.

https://www.nbc.com/access/video/ros...tmates/3807519
I can't pull anything up from the link you posted, but here is your quote:

Yeah, but would she return? I bet she wouldn't. She feels royally fucked over. Not only by the network, but the cast too. None came to her defense after the tweet. Goodman, Metcalf and Gilbert have all reached out to her recently. She hasn't responded.
You said NONE came to her defense. So I leave you with this article that proves you completely lied or don't know the facts:

https://variety.com/2018/tv/news/ros...rt-1202918854/

Here's the quote:

“I thank John Goodman for speaking truth about me, despite facing certain peril from producers and network,” Barr tweeted Monday.

What did John say?

“I was surprised at the response,” Goodman said about Barr’s tweet. “And that’s probably all I should say about that. … I know for a fact that she’s not a racist.” (Here's the link for said tweet:
)

However, Goodman also admitted that he had previous sent Barr an email thanking her for relinquishing her rights to the show so a spinoff could happen, but she never responded. “She was going through hell at the time,” he said. “And she’s still going through hell.”

This article was in August. So, as I pointed out, Goodman did come to her defense. Roseanne thanked him.

And you also said Roseanne said John does NOT know her (I bolded that quote for you up there). Again not true. Here's a video right here where Roseanne said John DOES know her and she cried when he supported her:

A little fact checking will go a long way for you.
Old 10-18-18, 12:21 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I can't pull anything up from the link you posted, but here is your quote:

You said NONE came to her defense. So I leave you with this article that proves you completely lied or don't know the facts:

https://variety.com/2018/tv/news/ros...rt-1202918854/

Here's the quote:

“I thank John Goodman for speaking truth about me, despite facing certain peril from producers and network,” Barr tweeted Monday.

What did John say?

“I was surprised at the response,” Goodman said about Barr’s tweet. “And that’s probably all I should say about that. … I know for a fact that she’s not a racist.” (Here's the link for said tweet: https://twitter.com/therealroseanne/...44303638343680)

However, Goodman also admitted that he had previous sent Barr an email thanking her for relinquishing her rights to the show so a spinoff could happen, but she never responded. “She was going through hell at the time,” he said. “And she’s still going through hell.”

This article was in August. So, as I pointed out, Goodman did come to her defense. Roseanne thanked him.

And you also said Roseanne said John does NOT know her (I bolded that quote for you up there). Again not true. Here's a video right here where Roseanne said John DOES know her and she cried when he supported her: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZSs0VIDO2Sk

A little fact checking will go a long way for you.
What's up with your snide and condescending attitude? Calling someone a liar. I meant no one came to her defense right after her tweet. And I don't know what happened with that link, but try this

https://people.com/tv/sara-gilbert-l...roseanne-barr/

A little fact checking will go a long way with you too.

I am fully aware of John Goodman's nice comments about Roseanne these past many weeks. But he was silent the first several after the tweet. I will go look for that online article I read where Roseanne said Goodman didn't know her.

Edit: So apparently links are no longer accepted on DVDTalk. Because that's not working either. But here is the article from People:

Exclusive

Sara Gilbert and Laurie Metcalf Have Reached Out to Roseanne Barr — But She Hasn't Responded Yet

Julie Jordan
October 05, 2018 08:20 AM

As they prepare for the premiere of their Roseanne spin-off, The Conners, Sara Gilbert, John Goodman and Laurie Metcalf are grateful to their former costar, Roseanne Barr, for allowing the show to proceed without her.

“That was a very big deal,” Goodman, 66, tells PEOPLE in this week’s issue. “To give us a chance.”

Barr agreed to have no involvement with the spin-off after the hit Roseanne reboot was canceled by ABC in May following a racist comment she made about a former White House advisor.

While the new show will address the absence of Barr’s character, who reportedly will be killed off, in a manner befitting the original series, the loss has been a process for the cast both on-screen and off.

“Sara and I had this scene in the first show where we addressed the grief,” recalls Metcalf, 63. “Sometimes when you’re an actor and you have to go to that place, you substitute something, but in this case there was no need to do that, because it was there. And it was real. And still makes me choke up, because that part of it’s been really hard.”

Although none of them have spoken to Barr since her tweet in May, both Gilbert and Metcalf have reached out to the comedian but haven’t heard back “yet,” says Metcalf.

Gilbert, 43, hopes any sadness the cast feels will be channeled “in an honest way into the show,” she adds. “And our show has always been able to deal with heavy topics, particularly for a sitcom. It’s been kind of built into the mix.”

Last edited by Daytripper; 10-18-18 at 12:44 AM.
Old 10-18-18, 12:41 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 290 Likes on 215 Posts

I've only seen the first episode of the new reboot last year and missed the rest of the episodes of that season. My wife and I just watched the "series premiere" of The Connors tonight. The first episode of the reboot last year went overboard with the politics. i don't know how the other episodes were, but the first one was a little too much. This new episode didn't have any of the politics. Hopefully it will stay like that.

The worst part about this show though is the acting. It feels like the actors are just deadpanning every line and it doesn't feel realistic and pulls you out of it.
Old 10-18-18, 06:11 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 215 Likes on 190 Posts

Originally Posted by movieguru
I've only seen the first episode of the new reboot last year and missed the rest of the episodes of that season. My wife and I just watched the "series premiere" of The Connors tonight. The first episode of the reboot last year went overboard with the politics. i don't know how the other episodes were, but the first one was a little too much. This new episode didn't have any of the politics. Hopefully it will stay like that.

The worst part about this show though is the acting. It feels like the actors are just deadpanning every line and it doesn't feel realistic and pulls you out of it.
As I recall, they pretty much dropped the politics after the first episode, -maybe a line or two here or there, -though it retained a certain amount of being "Message-y", but if you were fine with The Connors you'd be fine with the other episodes. The acting was the problem there, too.
Old 10-18-18, 08:23 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Breakfast with Girls
I liked it well enough. This show has never really had amazing actors (except Goodman), but I sort of cringed every time DJ, his wife, and his daughter had lines.
Agreed. But on the flip side I think the actors that kids that play Darlene's kids are solid. I suspect that after this first episode we will see the show all but drop DJ and his family again in favor of the adults and Darlene's kids. They sure did during the short previous season.
Old 10-18-18, 07:23 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 273 Likes on 171 Posts

Audrey & Rusty Griswold reunion next week
Old 10-18-18, 11:10 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

What's up with your snide and condescending attitude? Calling someone a liar. I meant no one came to her defense right after her tweet. And I don't know what happened with that link, but try this

https://people.com/tv/sara-gilbert-l...roseanne-barr/

A little fact checking will go a long way with you too.

I am fully aware of John Goodman's nice comments about Roseanne these past many weeks. But he was silent the first several after the tweet. I will go look for that online article I read where Roseanne said Goodman didn't know her.

Edit: So apparently links are no longer accepted on DVDTalk. Because that's not working either. But here is the article from People:

Exclusive

Sara Gilbert and Laurie Metcalf Have Reached Out to Roseanne Barr — But She Hasn't Responded Yet

Julie Jordan
October 05, 2018 08:20 AM

As they prepare for the premiere of their Roseanne spin-off, The Conners, Sara Gilbert, John Goodman and Laurie Metcalf are grateful to their former costar, Roseanne Barr, for allowing the show to proceed without her.

“That was a very big deal,” Goodman, 66, tells PEOPLE in this week’s issue. “To give us a chance.”

Barr agreed to have no involvement with the spin-off after the hit Roseanne reboot was canceled by ABC in May following a racist comment she made about a former White House advisor.

While the new show will address the absence of Barr’s character, who reportedly will be killed off, in a manner befitting the original series, the loss has been a process for the cast both on-screen and off.

“Sara and I had this scene in the first show where we addressed the grief,” recalls Metcalf, 63. “Sometimes when you’re an actor and you have to go to that place, you substitute something, but in this case there was no need to do that, because it was there. And it was real. And still makes me choke up, because that part of it’s been really hard.”

Although none of them have spoken to Barr since her tweet in May, both Gilbert and Metcalf have reached out to the comedian but haven’t heard back “yet,” says Metcalf.

Gilbert, 43, hopes any sadness the cast feels will be channeled “in an honest way into the show,” she adds. “And our show has always been able to deal with heavy topics, particularly for a sitcom. It’s been kind of built into the mix.”
Because you are a liar unless you can show the article where Roseanne said Goodman did not know her where she very vocally said he did. And the reason Goodman didn't go out the second after her tweet is because the man suffers from depression. He talked about how he was depressed for the first month or so after the show got canceled. Got to remember her suffered from a very big drinking problem as well. If you saw the TMZ photos of Goodman when it was first announced the show got canceled, he looked awful. He stayed very silent but he never, at any time, attacked Roseanne like the other cast members. Her TV kids, yeah, they went after her. But you just cannot say the entire cast did when Goodman never made any bad remarks about her.
Old 10-19-18, 09:09 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 290 Likes on 215 Posts

Originally Posted by GoldenJCJ
For some odd reason I think the producers are purposely making Dan look sickly on the show. I’ve seen recent interviews with Goldman and he doesn’t look nearly as bad as they have him looking on the show.

What also didn't really make sense, except for plot, was when Jackie went to Dan to tell him about the autopsy results. It appeared the daughters were acting as the executors for Roseanne and Jackie was not. Yet the coroner calls Jackie to telll her that Roseanne died of an overdose. Doesn't seem logical as I doubt they have a home phone anymore, so the coroner would call a cell phone of one of the daughters and not Jackie. I would suspect that giving out that information to Jackie would be a HIPPA violation as well.
Old 10-19-18, 10:33 AM

Received 4,579 Likes on 3,099 Posts

Because you are a liar unless you can show the article where Roseanne said Goodman did not know her where she very vocally said he did. And the reason Goodman didn't go out the second after her tweet is because the man suffers from depression. He talked about how he was depressed for the first month or so after the show got canceled. Got to remember her suffered from a very big drinking problem as well. If you saw the TMZ photos of Goodman when it was first announced the show got canceled, he looked awful. He stayed very silent but he never, at any time, attacked Roseanne like the other cast members. Her TV kids, yeah, they went after her. But you just cannot say the entire cast did when Goodman never made any bad remarks about her.
Mod note: Please refrain from name calling.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.