DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   TV Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk-14/)
-   -   Hawaii Five-O (CBS) -- The Season 9 and beyond... Thread (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk/645355-hawaii-five-o-cbs-season-9-beyond-thread.html)

DJariya 09-28-18 01:28 AM

Hawaii Five-O (CBS) -- The Season 9 and beyond... Thread

https://i.postimg.cc/rFWnwTt2/H50.jpg

AFTER STEVE'S CIA AGENT FRIEND IS KILLED, MCGARRETT LETS HIMSELF BE CAPTURED BY THE GROUP HE THINKS IS RESPONSIBLE AND ENDURES A TORTUROUS SENSORY DEPRIVATION TANK TO FIND THE KILLER, ON THE NINTH SEASON PREMIERE OF "HAWAII FIVE-0," FRIDAY, SEPT. 28

The Episode, Titled "Cocoon," Is a Retelling of the Original Series' Pilot Episode and Was Written by the Late Leonard Freeman, Creator of the Original "Hawaii Five-O," and Current Executive Producer Peter M. Lenkov

Mark Dacascos Returns as McGarrett's Nemesis, Wo Fat

"Ka ?owili ?oka'i" - After Steve's CIA agent friend is killed, McGarrett lets himself be captured by the group he thinks is responsible and endures a torturous sensory deprivation tank to find the killer. Also, Tani wrestles with whether or not she will tell McGarrett about the murder weapon she found at Adam's house, on the ninth season premiere of HAWAII FIVE-0, Friday, Sept. 28 (9:00-10:00 PM, ET/PT) on the CBS Television Network.

The episode, titled "Cocoon," is a retelling of the original series' pilot episode and was written by the late Leonard Freeman, creator of the original "Hawaii Five-O," and current executive producer Peter M. Lenkov. Mark Dacascos returns as McGarrett's nemesis, Wo Fat.

("Ka ?owili ?oka'i" is Hawaiian for "Cocoon")

REGULAR CAST:

Alex O'Loughlin (Steve McGarrett)
Scott Caan (Danny "Danno" Williams)
Chi McBride (Lou Grover)
Ian Anthony Dale (Adam Noshimuri)
Jorge Garcia (Jerry Ortega)
Meaghan Rath (Tani Rey)
Beulah Koale (Junior Reigns)
Taylor Wily (Kamekona)
Dennis Chun (Sgt. Duke Lukela)
Kimee Balmilero (Noelani Cunha)
RECURRING CAST:

Mark Dacascos (Wo Fat)
Rosalind Chao (Governor Mahoe)
Shawn Thomsen (Pua Kai)
GUEST CAST:

Rochelle Aytes (Greer)
Jack Coleman (Miller)
Roger Yuan (Kang)
Lamont Thompson (Kray)
Susan Park (Rosemary)
Erik Chang (Tech)

WRITTEN BY: Leonard Freeman and Peter M. Lenkov

DIRECTED BY: Bryan Spicer

22 episode 9th season

dvd-4-life 09-28-18 05:19 AM

re: Hawaii Five-O (CBS) -- The Season 9 and beyond... Thread

Is this the last season?

Any word of a crossover episode with Magnum PI ?

DJariya 09-28-18 07:20 AM

Originally Posted by dvd-4-life (Post 13416105)
Is this the last season?

Any word of a crossover episode with Magnum PI ?

No not the final season.

And no crossover planned right now although they are in the same universe.

dvd-4-life 09-28-18 04:24 PM

I need to get caught up on last season.

One good reason too have CBS All-Access.

MLBFan24 09-29-18 10:24 PM

I found it annoying that they changed the opening credit fonts and put the episode title on screen. But after reading the original post, it sounds like they are trying to mimic the original series for the season premiere episode. I guess I'm really picky haha

DJariya 09-30-18 08:16 PM

Mark Dacascos appearing in the premiere as Wo Fat made no sense. His character has been dead for a few seasons and he ended up being a hallucination.

:lol: at Steve and Jr. burying the money that Kamekona invested into their business. Talk about ridiculous.

Roger Yuan is a pretty badass martial artist. He would have kicked McG's ass in reality with no trouble.

MLBFan24 09-30-18 11:27 PM

Originally Posted by DJariya (Post 13417441)

Roger Yuan is a pretty badass martial artist. He would have kicked McG's ass in reality with no trouble.

I had trouble remembering where I’ve seen him before, so I had to look it up. Shanghai Noon! Haven’t watched that movie in a long time. Might have to pop in the DVD this week.

DWilson 09-30-18 11:35 PM

Originally Posted by DJariya (Post 13417441)
Mark Dacascos appearing in the premiere as Wo Fat made no sense. His character has been dead for a few seasons and he ended up being a hallucination.

:lol: at Steve and Jr. burying the money that Kamekona invested into their business. Talk about ridiculous.

The episode was a "remake" of the original pilot and Wo Fat was the villain of the piece, so they felt obligated to include him in some fashion.

MLBFan24 10-22-18 12:19 PM

Finally dumped this show. The major crime of the week always seems to be the secondary plot lately. Lots of unnecessary filler takes up a majority of the episodes. Disappointing, but I guess I should expect that in the ninth season.

RichC2 10-22-18 12:21 PM

This is already in Season 9? What the fuck time. Stop it.

DJariya 10-22-18 12:24 PM

Originally Posted by MLBFan24 (Post 13430224)
Finally dumped this show. The major crime of the week always seems to be the secondary plot lately. Lots of unnecessary filler takes up a majority of the episodes. Disappointing, but I guess I should expect that in the ninth season.

Well from day 1 it’s been about the Steve and Danny bromance.

This isn’t 24: Hawaii.

:lol: I think that’s what you were expecting.

alfredog1976 05-09-19 03:07 PM

Back for Season 10
https://deadline.com/2019/05/hawaii-...an-1202611115/

DJariya 05-09-19 03:09 PM

It might end up running longer than the original series.

I still watch it, but I'm not surprised this thread has been dead for months. The show isn't serialized and long season procedurals never bring out any discussion here.

There were rumors that Alex O'Loughlin was going to bail after his contract expired after season 8 (that didn't happen), but I guess living and working in Hawaii plus the yearly raises will keep him. He and Caan apparently get cuts from the profits of this show.

E Unit 05-09-19 03:18 PM

If only the original minority cast members got that love. I guess that’s why they left.

I loved this show, but there’s just too many damn episodes each season. Makes me appreciate the 6-10 episode seasons Netflix and other streaming services do. I’ll probably catch up someday. I bailed somewhere during season 5.

DJariya 05-09-19 03:52 PM

Originally Posted by E Unit (Post 13547900)
If only the original minority cast members got that love. I guess that’s why they left.

I loved this show, but there’s just too many damn episodes each season. Makes me appreciate the 6-10 episode seasons Netflix and other streaming services do. I’ll probably catch up someday. I bailed somewhere during season 5.

The current 9th season is 25 episodes. This show has produced 25 episodes per season since season 5. I'm guessing that's a huge chore to commit to for you and many others here.

alfredog1976 05-09-19 03:59 PM

Originally Posted by DJariya (Post 13547891)
It might end up running longer than the original series.

I still watch it, but I'm not surprised this thread has been dead for months. The show isn't serialized and long season procedurals never bring out any discussion here.

There were rumors that Alex O'Loughlin was going to bail after his contract expired after season 8 (that didn't happen), but I guess living and working in Hawaii plus the yearly raises will keep him. He and Caan apparently get cuts from the profits of this show.

I watch the show regularly and do still enjoy it, like the characters and the action, though it can be "CSI: Hawaii" at times. And the backdrop of Hawaii definitely does not hurt the eye :)

I guess that plot point about
Spoiler:
Adam (or someone else) killing his sister has been shelved

E Unit 05-09-19 07:54 PM

Originally Posted by DJariya (Post 13547916)
The current 9th season is 25 episodes. This show has produced 25 episodes per season since season 5. I'm guessing that's a huge chore to commit to for you and many others here.

For me alone, no. But splitting TV show watching with my wife, well, we have to pick and choose. Shows that are shorter in general are almost always chosen over stuff like Five-O. Although I really do miss it. Binging it later will be fun as hell since I'll probably have to watch 50-75 episodes to get caught up. We just finished watching the entire series of Catastrophe which was all of 24 episodes at 30 minutes each. Way more attractive to cover something like that vs the never ending saga of Steve McGarrett and company.

Original Desmond 02-01-20 11:52 PM

Not sure there is a Season 10 thread

Katrina Law welcome addition

But when a show has an episode about a dog with PTSD and Danny meeting a girl, banging her in the toilet and she dies in a car accident in the same episode, they are stretching for new storylines

alfredog1976 02-03-20 12:54 PM

Originally Posted by Original Desmond (Post 13681020)
Not sure there is a Season 10 thread

Katrina Law welcome addition

But when a show has an episode about a dog with PTSD and Danny meeting a girl, banging her in the toilet and she dies in a car accident in the same episode, they are stretching for new storylines

Yeah this was a mediocre episode, I was dozing off a lot during this episode.

DJariya 02-03-20 01:01 PM

I didn't bother creating a season 10 thread because not enough people in this forum support this show regularly anymore and I figured no one cared.

Yes, Katrina Law is a nice addition.

I have kept up with season 10 including the Magnum crossover.

alfredog1976 02-12-20 02:11 PM

Re: Hawaii Five-O (CBS) -- The Season 9 and beyond... Thread

Thought this past episode was good....Ian Anthony Dale's directorial debut

Joe Schmoe 02-16-20 10:40 AM

Junior was MIA in the 2/14/20 episode. Did they offer an explanation? I don't like that Steve allowed Dale's character back on the team after he quit with no explanation, then allowed him to stay on the team after he broke that suspect out of Five-O HQ to trade him for Lou's niece without anyone's knowledge or permission. His behavior has been too erratic and selfish for me to believe that Steve would tolerate it.

Original Desmond 02-16-20 10:58 AM

Yeah i'm not sure how they can redeem Adam from all of this

Unless he's being doing it all with Steve's blessing from day one, that would be a cheap way out

The cast is a titch too big at the moment, i'd get rid of Danny and be done with it

Joe Schmoe 02-16-20 11:29 AM

Originally Posted by Original Desmond (Post 13688896)
Yeah i'm not sure how they can redeem Adam from all of this

Unless he's being doing it all with Steve's blessing from day one, that would be a cheap way out

The cast is a titch too big at the moment, i'd get rid of Danny and be done with it

I'd get rid of Quinn. She wasn't needed to begin with. I still enjoy Steve and Danny's bickering (most of the time), but sometimes it seems like the writers have to stretch to find ways to make them argue about something. They could probably do away with Adam and it wouldn't hurt the team. I wouldn't miss Food Truck Guy or his cousin either.

IDrinkMolson 02-16-20 12:09 PM

Originally Posted by Joe Schmoe (Post 13688887)
Junior was MIA in the 2/14/20 episode. Did they offer an explanation? I don't like that Steve allowed Dale's character back on the team after he quit with no explanation, then allowed him to stay on the team after he broke that suspect out of Five-O HQ to trade him for Lou's niece without anyone's knowledge or permission. His behavior has been too erratic and selfish for me to believe that Steve would tolerate it.

At the end of the Magnum crossover, Junior got called up on reserves. Secret mission doesn't know when he'll be back. This happened on the Magnum PI episode, so if you didn't watch that, that's what happened.