DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   TV Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk-14/)
-   -   Hawaii Five-O (CBS) -- The Season 9 and beyond... Thread (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk/645355-hawaii-five-o-cbs-season-9-beyond-thread.html)

DJariya 04-04-20 02:09 AM

Re: Hawaii Five-O (CBS) -- The Season 9 and beyond... Thread

Tonight was the series finale. I loved it. Perfect ending for Steve McGarett. I guess he's taking an indefinite leave of absence to enjoy himself and figure things out, which works for me. The only real thing that was keeping him in Honolulu was the underlying mystery of why his father was killed and that was wrapped up. I loved how it tied in heavily to the pilot episode and I enjoyed the flashbacks and new footage. Basically everything came into full circle for McGarrett.

The final goodbyes got me choked up. Especially when Tani said goodbye. McG took a chance on a very raw and unproven academy drop out and I'm happy the character grew. Lou's goodbye was very emotional as I recall he and McG was adversaries when he 1st came to HPD and then eventually became friends.

Also, I really liked the Lincoln Cole character, who was introduced in the penultimate episode that had Chuck Norris. Chuck's role ended up being really small, but he was Cole's CO. The Cole character was a badass and he had some great hand to hand combat and action scenes. Looks like he could have been a new member of the team had the show continued.

Glad they brought back Michelle Borth for that cameo at the end. I've always liked her and I felt like she and Steve always had a connection.

I know most here tapped out of H50 years ago because it was very rocky creatively at times and with so many shows on the air, it's hard for many of you to stick with shows that don't always stay consistently good. So I understand if you just couldn't stick with it all 10 years. That's your choice. But, I stuck with it for all 10 years and to me it was more than just your standard cop show, it was the characters and family aspect that kept me coming back.

Since Magnum PI takes place in the same universe and is only in season 2, I suppose we could see some of these characters guest star from time to time. I know the ME is a recurring guest start on Magnum.

Too bad they couldn't have brought back Chin and Kono in some capacity, but they are off doing other shows and didn't leave on the best of terms either. It would have been nice if Chin came back for 1 more because Steve took a chance on him when he was accused of being a dirty cop and then became an important part of the team.

COACH2369 04-04-20 08:52 AM

Great final episode last night.
This has been a show that I have enjoyed from day 1 and enjoyed it until the end.
Yes, there were times that I thought it was a tad ridiculous, but it was still "fun" to watch.
They did a great job introducing new characters and making them part of the team.
I was going to have a problem if the writers teased the whole Tani/Junior thing and never had them together....
The ending was great. Nothing was forced like having Danny's kids show up out of nowhere or him meeting someone.
I think the Cole character would have made a great addition to the show as well.
Finally, the last scene in the airplane with Catherine was perfect....and then Steve getting that text from Danny was perfect.
Time to go back and rewatch the series.

Joe Schmoe 04-04-20 11:14 AM

I stuck with the series all 10 years and will miss it. The finale was good but not perfect. I liked that Michelle Borth was kept out of the opening credits, so her cameo was a welcome surprise. I didn't like how the show teased that Steve was becoming more and more dissatisfied over the last few weeks only to have him leave his ohana for parts unknown. This show always stressed how important his extended family was to him, so I don't believe he would leave them, especially after Danny's near-death experience. It was like: Glad you made it, bro, but I'm outta here anyway. I could have accepted him leaving his friends if we had been told he did so specifically to find Catherine, but since she surprised him on the plane it means he could have been going some place else rather than to find her. I was also disappointed he left Eddie behind.

I wish Danny had been given more to do in the last two episodes rather than play the victim. The final two were originally supposed to air together until CBS decided to break them up. That means Danny would have got his ass beaten in the first hour and then really got his ass beaten in the second hour. I wish he had had more closure, whether he'd been promoted to the new head of the Five-O task force, he remarried his ex-wife, or some other life-changing event. Instead, he came off as weak and aimless without Steve in his life. Did the writers think the audience would believe there was even a chance he'd die in the finale? I guess his shooting was meant to show just how much Steve cared about Danny (despite their years of constant bickering), but for me it reinforced my earlier point that it's hard to believe Steve would just walk away from his friend after he almost died.

I never cared for Jerry or the two cousins who frequently appeared on the show (one of whom owned the shrimp truck), but I think they should have been there to say goodbye to Steve. They were certainly more deserving of this honor than Lincoln. I liked his character, and he would have made a good edition to the team had there been a Season 11, but he was so new that his presence at the end felt out of place. I was surprised at how much screen time he got in the final two episodes, and it made me think the producers at one time were toying with the idea of him replacing Steve had the show continued without O'Laughlin. I didn't expect to see Chin Ho or Kono in the finale given how unhappy the actors were when they quit the series, and that's fine because I think it would have been unrealistic for their characters to fly to Hawaii just to see their former boss take off on a trip.

When Steve started showing signs that he was no longer happy with his life, I figured it meant he was ready to settle down and put his years of adventure behind him. Now that Catherine is back in his life, I'm hoping he'll do just that and they'll make it work for good this time. At least we got to hear him say "book 'em" one last time.

barelypure 04-04-20 12:59 PM

Why didn't they try to trace the phone of the henchman Daiyu Mei called to learn her whereabouts?
Why did Steve give his weapon to Cole, a busboy? I don't remember him being deputized.
If Cole was able to find Katherine that fast to decode the cipher why didn't Steve reach out to her long before then?
How was Danny able to recover so fast from a GSW to the chest?
These are just normal problems that have been common throughout the show. Tho I did enjoy watching each episode over the 10 seasons. They generally played fast and loose with the facts.
I will now confess 1 mistake I made long ago. I had predicted that McBride would kill the show as he'd done to countless other shows. The cast was stronger than his negative voodoo and for that I'm grateful.
I wish they would consider a spin off where Danny is in charge but that wouldn't work as he hates being in Hawaii away from his family and is why he's absent several episodes each year.
Could Cole take up the reins and keep the mojo going, maybe. I'd like to see them at least try.

DJariya 04-04-20 01:38 PM

COACH2369 04-04-20 04:00 PM

I always forget that Steve is Australian.....also didn't know the actor who played Junior also had an accent.

Would love to see a reboot/spin off of sorts with some of the current cast..

DJariya 04-04-20 05:58 PM

Originally Posted by COACH2369 (Post 13718233)
I always forget that Steve is Australian.....also didn't know the actor who played Junior also had an accent.

Would love to see a reboot/spin off of sorts with some of the current cast..

I had look it up. Beulah Koale is from New Zealand, hence the accent.

Joe Schmoe 04-04-20 08:43 PM

10 years ago, didn't the governor ask Steve to form this task force? I think it would have been a fitting ending if during this season the governor had warned him a few times about breaking too many rules and then finally ended the task force after Steve went too far. Oh well.

MLBFan24 04-05-20 01:37 PM

I watched the final two episodes just for old times sake. I only wasn’t familiar with Katrina Law’s character, as I dropped the show before her debut.

what happened to Kamekoa and Jerry?

Instead of giving the cipher to Wo Fat’s wife, they could have fabricated a fake cipher. Just reorganize the symbols and print on new paper. Wo Fat’s wife would have never realized it at the exchange point. If she knew what it said, she wouldn’t need the cipher. Nobody could verify it at the exchange point, as it could easily be said they don’t know how to solve it.

But overall, watching the final two episodes did give me some good nostalgia. This was the first “action” show I picked up after “24” ended.

DJariya 04-05-20 01:42 PM

Originally Posted by MLBFan24 (Post 13718601)

Kamekona just wasn't featured in the episode.

Jerry quit 5-O after nearly getting killed at the beginning of the season.

MLBFan24 04-05-20 01:45 PM

Originally Posted by DJariya (Post 13718603)
Kamekona just wasn't featured in the episode.

Jerry quit 5-O after nearly getting killed at the beginning of the season.

Thanks for the info. I wanted to see the shrimp truck haha

Paff 04-05-20 05:26 PM

I'll try not to thread-poop too much, this was the first ep of H5-0 I watched since DDK and Grace Park left, and I realized how little I missed it. Kinda regret the amount of time I spent watching it in the first place.

Joe Schmoe 04-05-20 09:06 PM

Originally Posted by MLBFan24 (Post 13718601)

Jerry was shot in the Season 9 finale cliffhanger (although we didn't know for sure at the time if anyone had been shot). In Season 10, he appeared only in the premiere, which is when he quit Five O. Although he wasn't in the finale, Kamekona still owned the shrimp truck as well as a restaurant he took over from Steve and Danny.

Noonan 04-06-20 08:41 AM

Came back for the finale after not watching for a few seasons. I was surprised to see so much of the story revolve around that guy who just showed up last week. Seems like CBS may be testing him for a lead role in new show?

I was also curious what happened to Jerry and the restaurant. Pretty sure it was still being built when I stopped watching. I'm glad the characters got closure after all these years but I agree that Steve wouldn't have just left everyone behind. They're his family.

MLBFan24 04-06-20 10:11 AM

Originally Posted by Joe Schmoe (Post 13718750)
Jerry was shot in the Season 9 finale cliffhanger (although we didn't know for sure at the time if anyone had been shot). In Season 10, he appeared only in the premiere, which is when he quit Five O. Although he wasn't in the finale, Kamekona still owned the shrimp truck as well as a restaurant he took over from Steve and Danny.

Thanks, I was wondering about the restaurant too (other than what was mentioned in the finale about Steve and Danny not being involved anymore)

Original Desmond 04-12-20 12:33 AM

Nice to end with a what if with Steve and Catherine, will they live happily ever after

No Kamekona in the finale which was weird

Yeah looked like they were setting up the new guy to replace, i would have given the show a shot with him as lead, would give more screentime to the rest of the team

Orbi-Wan Techno 04-12-20 08:08 PM

Wife was sniffling and dabbing her eyes with tissue as the episode ended. Well done, Five-0. Well done...

morriscroy 07-10-20 10:45 AM

Heh.

https://variety.com/2020/tv/news/pet...er-1234700376/

Wonder if this is the underlying reason why H50 was recently cancelled.

If Lenkov's productions are now no longer "protected" (ie. by the older Moonves CBS regime), then this might mean the MacGyver and Magnum PI reboots are also vulnerable to abrupt cancellations.

Kdogg 07-10-20 06:30 PM

Originally Posted by morriscroy (Post 13770278)
Heh.

https://variety.com/2020/tv/news/pet...er-1234700376/

Wonder if this is the underlying reason why H50 was recently cancelled.

I saw it more of a conclusion than a cancellation. The physical toll on Alex O'Loughlin was just too much for him and they couldn’t figure out how to continue with Caan as the lead.