Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Better Call Saul (S4E08) -- "Coushatta" -- 9/24/18

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-18, 10:40 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,027 Likes on 726 Posts
Re: Better Call Saul (S4E08) -- "Coushatta" -- 9/24/18

^Yeah, but that's a lot of people with (presumably) families to just completely disappear.

I wouldn't rule it out, but it seems like it would be difficult.

Gus has been known to be cautious but which is more cautious? Attracting attention by having a bunch of people just disappear, or letting them go home and hope they don't say anything. Then again, they have no idea where they are working, do they?
Old 09-25-18, 10:57 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,728 Likes on 1,884 Posts

Originally Posted by andicus
^Yeah , but that's a lot of people with (presumably) families to just completely disappear.

I wouldn't rule it out, but it seems like it would be difficult.

Gus has been known to be cautious but which is more cautious? Attracting attention by having a bunch of people just disappear, or letting them go home and hope they don't say anything. Then again, they have no idea where they are working, do they?
They’re already “disappeared” aren’t they? Nobody, outside of Mike and Gus and probably some people at Madrigal, have any idea where they currently are or what they’re doing.

Ziegler probably sealed his own fate, if not the fate of the laborers. The reason Gus took him on was because the first guy was bragging about the tunnel he built. And if Ziegler, who’s all-in at this point, lacks discretion, then he’s probably never going back to Deutschland.
Old 09-26-18, 12:09 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 846 Likes on 591 Posts

I can see one or two of the workers, or even Ziegler being buried for fucking up... but I really don't see Gus offing all of them. None of the workers know where they are (although wouldn't they have found out while at the strip club?), and didn't they all fly out to the same airport (together or not)? So it would draw a lot of attention and suspicion that a bunch of guys all flew to the same airport at the same time and all disappeared forever. Even if the airport was in a different city/state than the cleaners - there'd be an investigation... and Gus doesn't want that. Gus is smart and safe.
Old 09-26-18, 02:34 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 88 Likes on 67 Posts

This episode didn't really work for me. I found the scam too silly and unbelievable. Seems like a lot of trouble for someone we just "met" last week, because he needs to play a role in Breaking Bad. And I believe much less that Kim would come up with the whole thing. Her "turn" feels sudden.
Old 09-26-18, 07:16 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 259 Likes on 152 Posts

Probably a dumb question, but this construction project is what eventually becomes Walter’s underground lab, right? I’ve been assuming so, but feel like I missed a bit of conversation somewhere that spellled it out.
Old 09-26-18, 07:24 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 90 Likes on 77 Posts

Originally Posted by Tom Banjo
Probably a dumb question, but this construction project is what eventually becomes Walter’s underground lab, right? I’ve been assuming so, but feel like I missed a bit of conversation somewhere that spellled it out.
Yes, it becomes the lab that WW cooks at in BB.
Old 09-26-18, 07:56 AM

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

it's gonna crush me to see Kim's downfall...
Old 09-26-18, 08:31 AM

Received 99 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by Coral
I can see one or two of the workers, or even Ziegler being buried for fucking up... but I really don't see Gus offing all of them. None of the workers know where they are (although wouldn't they have found out while at the strip club?), and didn't they all fly out to the same airport (together or not)? So it would draw a lot of attention and suspicion that a bunch of guys all flew to the same airport at the same time and all disappeared forever. Even if the airport was in a different city/state than the cleaners - there'd be an investigation... and Gus doesn't want that. Gus is smart and safe.
Yeah, I thought about that too. I believe they all flew into Denver, but yeah they would be able to find out where they really were while at the strip club. They're investing so much time on that storyline, something has to go wrong at some point.
Old 09-26-18, 09:32 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 173 Likes on 137 Posts

I don't think Gus (and certainly not Mike at this point) is into arbitrarily murdering people that aren't at least in "the game." He knows that is bad for business and leads to scrutiny. He is not a one man show and has to work with other people and organizations. Serious people (like Gus himself) will not tolerate working for or with a psychopath for very long.

Also, you see some extra bustling around the old laundry plant and it barely registers in your brain. But your husband goes to America to work for a few months and never comes home you start asking questions. I can't see them considering disposing of the crew unless a much more serious threat of exposure comes along, though the show certainly gives the impression that is coming in some fashion.
Old 09-26-18, 11:21 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 67 Likes on 58 Posts

This may end up being my favorite episode of the season. And I liked the total contrast between Kim's and then Jimmy's approach to Huell's case:

- Kim tried the completely legal above-the-board approach with the "Shock and Awe" of her legal team to try to intimidate the prosecutor into backing down on Huell's case. It failed miserably.

- While Jimmy tried the fraudulent "Slipping Jimmy" approach with the fake hometown support for Huell. And it worked like a charm.

And afterwards I like that Jimmy thought Kim would disapprove of his "Slipping Jimmy" con man behavior - mirroring what Chuck thought of him - but was surprised that she loved it.
Old 09-26-18, 03:49 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,027 Likes on 726 Posts

^Except that was Kim's idea, once the legit approach failed.
Old 09-26-18, 03:53 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Gunde
This episode didn't really work for me. I found the scam too silly and unbelievable. Seems like a lot of trouble for someone we just "met" last week, because he needs to play a role in Breaking Bad. And I believe much less that Kim would come up with the whole thing. Her "turn" feels sudden.
Are you talking about Huell? Jimmy has been working with him since he pick-pocketed Chuck.

As for Kim, this started when she was playing at scams pretending to be Giselle.
Old 09-26-18, 04:33 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 73 Likes on 48 Posts

I loved the scam. It was a lot of fun.
Old 09-26-18, 07:05 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,728 Likes on 1,884 Posts

Originally Posted by Geofferson
Yeah, I thought about that too. I believe they all flew into Denver, but yeah they would be able to find out where they really were while at the strip club. They're investing so much time on that storyline, something has to go wrong at some point.
That field trip to the strip club seemed like a huge risk. Not only would they at least know details, if not the name, of the club, it would be really easy to find out where they were, and all of that secrecy and subterfuge goes out the window.

It’s possible, and probably likely, that the workers were brought into the country on pretenses; Madrigal would certainly have the resources to set them up with fakes work visas and passports. Those dozen people never get back home, there’s no paper trail, and they just fall off the face of the Earth.

Or they could claim they left on a private plane for Germany, and that plane vanishes without a trace over the ocean, and that’s that. If Malaysia can lose a commercial plane, a missing Learjet should be a piece of cake.
Old 09-26-18, 08:44 PM

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

didn't they all fly out to the same airport (together or not)? So it would draw a lot of attention and suspicion that a bunch of guys all flew to the same airport at the same time and all disappeared forever. Even if the airport was in a different city/state than the cleaners - there'd be an investigation... and Gus doesn't want that. Gus is smart and safe.
Agreed !! They are here on a work visa. Therefore, I'm sure Gus had them processed in on a green card / work visa through one of his companies or through the chemical / pharmaceutical company.

There is NO way any of them can just "disappear" - Why would Gus want interpol, the FBI, or local police sniffing around his establishments, looking into a 'fake' project they were working on (when no one would have even seen them), etc.

The only thing they can do is to send them home, and if they started talking back home... possibly have someone take care of them back in Germany. But if they killed them in Germany, their friends would definitely talk to police etc. back home - in their 'safe' home country -Germany in Europe -

They have nothing to hide. They were working on a project. A secrete project, but nothing they were doing was illegal to their knowledge (for all they know they were building a bunker for some eccentric rich guy, or for the CIA, a bank etc.). They would sing like birds if anything happened to someone, because they have nothing to hide, and they are back home in another country and they are 'safe'.

Gus would not want an international investigation etc...

Let's not turn this into the Soprano's - where every week Tony / Gus is going to whack this guy or that guy.

Last edited by CPA-ESQ.; 09-26-18 at 08:52 PM.
Old 09-27-18, 01:23 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 68 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by andicus
^Except that was Kim's idea, once the legit approach failed.
The legal approach was a good alibi, too. Like why would she be part of some scam? She was already trying to intimidate them with a bunch of lawyers!
Old 09-29-18, 07:18 AM
Suspended; also need updated email

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Good news for us is Bryan Cranston and Aaron Paul's movie careers haven't really taken off

Off the back of BB, the likes of Godzilla and Need for Speed haven't launched them into A list nirvana

They are getting good solid work, but not leading man in big movies

So that's good for us. They are not too big to return to the small screen in BCS
Old 09-29-18, 08:13 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 846 Likes on 591 Posts

Originally Posted by Original Desmond
Good news for us is Bryan Cranston and Aaron Paul's movie careers haven't really taken off

Off the back of BB, the likes of Godzilla and Need for Speed haven't launched them into A list nirvana

They are getting good solid work, but not leading man in big movies

So that's good for us. They are not too big to return to the small screen in BCS
I don't see they could bring in Walter and Jesse into the pre-BB era. The only thing they could do when they're about to end this era is make reference to there now being a new quality line of meth on the market that's blue.

However, there may be opportunity in the post-BB era (the Cinnabon timeline) for a Jesse appearance because he's probably still alive and we could see what's happened to him (prison probably). Walter's dead, so that ain't happening.
Old 09-29-18, 09:04 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 443 Likes on 310 Posts

I honestly don't care to see Walter or Jessie in BCS. Maybe Jessie, but even then, all their interactions with Saul were already documented in BB, no need to bring that up again.
Old 09-29-18, 06:16 PM
Suspended; also need updated email

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

All of you saying, "i don't want to see Walt or Jess in BCS" blah blah blah

Trust me, if they do appear, even a small cameo, you will be jumping out of your knickers along with everyone else
Old 09-29-18, 06:40 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 90 Likes on 77 Posts

I don't want BCS to just jump over that time period, because there was a lot going on from Sauls perspective that we didn't see as his story wasn't the focus in BB. Thus I feel there is still a lot of potential elements to be shown during that time period before jumping to Cinnabon Jimmy, but at the same time, I don't want them spending 4 seasons rehashing just what we've already seen in BB either. A season or half a season should be plenty I'd think to go over that time period of things we didn't get with Saul. I think it would be sweet to get some Jesse and WW cameos though.
Old 09-29-18, 06:58 PM
Banned

Received 72 Likes on 54 Posts

I don't see they could bring in Walter and Jesse into the pre-BB era. The only thing they could do when they're about to end this era is make reference to there now being a new quality line of meth on the market that's blue.

However, there may be opportunity in the post-BB era (the Cinnabon timeline) for a Jesse appearance because he's probably still alive and we could see what's happened to him (prison probably). Walter's dead, so that ain't happening.

Didn't Saul go into hiding several months before Walter died?

And if so, isn't it theoretically possible that Walter is still alive when we see Saul working at the Cinnabon?

And if so, isn't it theoretically possible that they could show Walter killing Saul to prevent Saul from telling the cops that Skyler is not as innocent as Walter had tricked the police into thinking on his last phone call with her - the one where the police were listening?
Old 09-30-18, 02:05 AM

Received 100 Likes on 80 Posts

Originally Posted by grundle
Didn't Saul go into hiding several months before Walter died?

And if so, isn't it theoretically possible that Walter is still alive when we see Saul working at the Cinnabon?

And if so, isn't it theoretically possible that they could show Walter killing Saul to prevent Saul from telling the cops that Skyler is not as innocent as Walter had tricked the police into thinking on his last phone call with her - the one where the police were listening?
We do not know definitively Walter is dead. do we? I know Cranston thinks alive