Originally Posted by hdtv00
Sigh...
Sigh x 2
Old 07-23-18, 12:45 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Re: Buffy reboot in development

Originally Posted by lisadoris
A sequel makes way more sense than a reboot given what happened in the finale.
Agreed.
Old 07-23-18, 05:06 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 155 Likes on 118 Posts

Originally Posted by Josh-da-man
So is the rest of the cast.
If he has his head on straight Nicholas Brendon would be a perfect watcher.
Old 07-23-18, 05:21 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 551 Likes on 343 Posts

If it were a continuation of the original series you would have to explain what happened to the Angel characters in the alley at the end of that show.
Old 07-23-18, 06:53 PM

Originally Posted by stvn1974
If it were a continuation of the original series you would have to explain what happened to the Angel characters in the alley at the end of that show.
There are comic book continuations for both series. If this is not a reboot they can just pickup from there.
Old 07-24-18, 02:32 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Kdogg
If he has his head on straight Nicholas Brendon would be a perfect watcher.
We know THAT'S not going to happen...
Old 07-24-18, 04:34 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 182 Likes on 155 Posts

SMG as the watcher???
Old 07-24-18, 05:53 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,731 Likes on 1,885 Posts

I still want a Faith series.
Old 07-24-18, 04:02 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 810 Likes on 684 Posts

When they said diverse, they meant it.

The current rumor at the moment is that Angel won't be Irish in this reboot.

Spoiler:
They are looking at Angel having a Muslim background, probably played by someone with Middle Eastern heritage.

Don't shoot me, I am only the messenger.
Old 07-24-18, 04:04 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 162 Likes on 124 Posts

Originally Posted by PhantomStranger
When they said diverse, they meant it.

The current rumor at the moment is that Angel won't be Irish in this reboot.

Spoiler:
They are looking at Angel having a Muslim background, probably played by someone with Middle Eastern heritage.

Don't shoot me, I am only the messenger.
I don't have a problem with it as long and they give him a good backstory. If it's just a generic
Spoiler:
Muslim guy
to pair up with their
Spoiler:
black slayer
it'll suck all kinds of ways.
Old 07-24-18, 04:55 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by melasnus
We know THAT'S not going to happen...
Wow, I had no idea until I looked up his Wikipedia entry after this comment. Yikes.
Old 07-25-18, 12:13 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Timber
I don't have a problem with it as long and they give him a good backstory. If it's just a generic
Spoiler:
Muslim guy
to pair up with their
Spoiler:
black slayer
it'll suck all kinds of ways.
A politically correct Buffy?
FanFuckingTastic.
Old 07-26-18, 07:30 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,639 Likes on 2,612 Posts

The showrunner of the potential series said in a tweet today it’s probably going to be a continuation of the show with a new slayer not a reboot of the character and show.

Old 07-26-18, 07:36 PM

Originally Posted by DJariya
The showrunner of the potential series said in a tweet today it’s probably going to be a continuation of the show with a new slayer not a reboot of the character and show.

https://twitter.com/monicabreen/stat...07356964278272
Here's a link. https://www.tvguide.com/news/buffy-t...s-to-backlash/

I think most fans would get behind it. I would.
Old 07-26-18, 09:44 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 34 Likes on 30 Posts

A continuation would be better. A Reboot of the universe could work if it's not using all the same characters. (Charmed is not doing that) Do a new thing with the same place.
Old 07-26-18, 09:50 PM

Received 93 Likes on 59 Posts

Originally Posted by DJariya

https://twitter.com/monicabreen/stat...07356964278272
I'm relieved... and intrigued.

Old 07-26-18, 10:23 PM

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

And Giles needs to be transgender hispanic.
And Willow a gay midget, who later realizes she is straight.
Old 07-27-18, 12:38 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 280 Likes on 233 Posts

The freakout that this new Buffy show might reflect some of the social conditions of the time that we currently live in is cracking me up. Huge fan, but I am oftentimes glad that I am not one of those fans who feel betrayed by every decision taken by a show runner that does not comport with how I would have done things on the show if only they listened to me. Good grief.
Old 07-27-18, 06:57 PM
Suspended; also need updated email

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Reboots rarely work but continuations like Fuller House, Cobra Kai etc at least have a chance
Old 07-27-18, 08:42 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

I feel like more reboots have worked than continuations have ever been attempted.
Old 07-28-18, 08:18 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 810 Likes on 684 Posts

Twenty years ago on television, they would have simply made SMG the Watcher for a new slayer in a lightly updated version of the original.

One of the problems with a continuation is that most of the television fans aren't aware of the multiple seasons of continuity they ran with in the comic books. Written by Whedon and other former Buffy writers, they are supposed to count as much as the original tv episodes if you go by what Whedon has said over the years.
Old 07-28-18, 09:49 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If it's a continuation of the original series, how is it that they are only going to focus on one slayer?

Spoiler:
since all the potentials were turned into full blown slayers in the series finale.

I've read the comics and found my favorite part was
Spoiler:
the return of Dracula, who consoled Xander after his slayer girlfriend was killed.

And to be honest, there is no way they can recreate the comradery of the original Scoobie gang. I read that the new Buffy would also tackle social issues of the day, which I doubt they can match or top what the original Buffy did. I'm hoping that I'm wrong, but this sounds like a money grab and nothing more, which is their right but isn't there any other ORIGINAL
properties they can try and do? Not saying they won't succeed and I'm kinda hoping they do, but I doubt it but I'll wait for actual footage before I lose all hope. Heck, it might be as good as the rebooted BSG was in comparison to the original,then again, I was kinda interested in the Charm reboot and then I saw the trailer and I marked it off my list to watch lol. And I'm sure I'm not the demo they will be shooting for and many of today's kids probably don't even know who or what Buffy is/was.
Old 07-30-18, 04:04 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 280 Likes on 233 Posts

Originally Posted by pelenor
And I'm sure I'm not the demo they will be shooting for and many of today's kids probably don't even know who or what Buffy is/was.
Winner, winner, chicken dinner! If huge fans of the original series like myself can keep an open mind then the studio would love to have folks like myself as a viewer, but if the OG BTVS fans declare they will not give the reboot/continuation a chance because no Whedon, SMG, etc., then I suspect the folks behind this proposed reboot/continuation will still sleep like a baby.

The showrunners of this new BTVS do not owe old-school BTVS fans a single thing, after all it is not as if the fans made the show rather it is the show that turned some viewers into occasionally annoying critters who worship at the altar of Joss Whedon.

To the woman who put out the tweet trying to reassure og fans I say don't bother trying too hard because trying to please Browncoats is most likely a losing game (the only way to win is not to play the game, thank you Wargames), you just do your own thing and if it is entertaining I will give it a more than fair shot at staying on the air.

I think that enough years have passed that there is a whole new generation of sci fi/fantasy/horror fans to potentially keep a new BTVS afloat.

Speaking of that other reboot that will be airing soon, I grew up watching the original Charmed as it aired all the way to the end and I love the show, but the shade the OG actors threw at the reboot made me sad.

I very much plan to give the new Charmed a shot and with so much to watch if it really is a chore to view I will walk away, but with the pilot not even having aired I find it frustrating that actresses that I like tried to strangle the baby before it could leave the crib.
Old 07-30-18, 07:31 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Inhumans99
Speaking of that other reboot that will be airing soon, I grew up watching the original Charmed as it aired all the way to the end and I love the show, but the shade the OG actors threw at the reboot made me sad.

I very much plan to give the new Charmed a shot and with so much to watch if it really is a chore to view I will walk away, but with the pilot not even having aired I find it frustrating that actresses that I like tried to strangle the baby before it could leave the crib.
The only real issue I have with the Charmed reboot is that it doesn't seem to strike any new ground and looks like a rehash of the original except with actress' of color. I have no problem with that, I just wish they would would have done a more clever or unique reboot ala BSG, which showed the Cylons looking like humans. But again, I will probably watch the show cause I love horror/scifi/fantasy and any support to GOOD shows I can give I will. Speaking of reboots, Isn't it time for a reboot of Highlander?
Old 07-31-18, 12:29 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

meh.. I've always been a huge fan of the show and I've tracked/watched all the different star's projects as they went off to different stuff over the years. I don't know that there are all that many new story lines to tell after something like 12 combined seasons of Buffy + Angel. Even when the show was on on the air it got pretty hit or miss story line wise. Looking back it's easy to just remember the really good eps but there was a lot of stinkers in the seasons too.

Then again those of us who watched all those eps back in the day are well past the market demo that networks really care about all that much. So if they are shooting for viewers under 25 then maybe whatever was done back in 2000 doesn't really mater.
The bottom line is we all know why it's being reworked/rebooted.

Krusty: "They drove a dump truck full of money up to my house! I'm not made of stone!"

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.