Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

Zachary Quinto revives another Nimoy franchise: In Search Of...

Community
Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-18, 10:17 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 31 Likes on 21 Posts

I was obsessed with this show as a kid. Absolutely loved it. The news actually came out in January but I only learned of it now because History just ran a promo for it. I really hope he does it justice. World mystery shows are a favorite of mine but Ancient Aliens made a mockery of it.

https://deadline.com/2018/01/history...se-1202273461/

History is bringing back In Search Of, based on the iconic 1970s franchise, as a 10-episode docuseries, hosted and executive produced by Emmy-nominated Zachary Quinto (Star Trek, Snowden).

The new series, from Propagate Content, Universal Television Alternative Studio and Before the Door Pictures, will examine unexplained phenomena from all over the world. UFOs and paranormal mysteries remain relevant as the Pentagon recently acknowledged a secret UFO program which investigated sightings of UFOs from 2007 – 2012.

From the mythical to the scientific, each episode will follow Quinto as he investigates a different subject within a dynamic theme – such as alien encounters, mysterious creatures, UFO sightings, time travel and artificial intelligence – and searches for the truth to some of the world’s greatest mysteries. In Search Of will explore enigmas told through the eyes of witnesses and scholars with a personal connection to the phenomenon and include immersive demonstrations and experiments that contextualize each episode’s theme.

Quinto executive produces with Propagate Content’s Ben Silverman, Howard Owens and Brett-Patrick Jenkins, and Eddie Schmidt. Zachary Behr is executive producer for History.

The original In Search Of series aired from 1977-1982 and was hosted by Rod Serling and later by Leonard Nimoy, following Serling’s death.

“I am so excited to be reimagining ‘In Search Of’ and exploring new questions and phenomena with all of the advancements in science and technology from which we have benefitted in the past forty years since the original series first aired,” said Quinto. “In the spirit of my late dear friend Leonard Nimoy, we intend to honor and perpetuate his endless curiosity about the world – and universe – in which we live. Our director Eddie Schmidt and our partners at Propagate, Universal Television Alternative Studio and FremantleMedia International have ignited the process with enthusiasm and intelligence, and History is the perfect home for this unique and compelling series.”

“In the ‘70s and ‘80s, the legendary Leonard Nimoy captivated viewers by transporting them through the world of unsolved mysteries and paranormal phenomena,” said Eli Lehrer, Executive Vice President of Programming, History. “To this day, the investigations conducted in this series remain relevant and a source of public obsession. Now with Zachary’s passion and prevalence in the science fiction genre, the groundbreaking series is back for a new audience.”

In Search Of joins History’s long-running nonfiction series Ancient Aliens and upcoming scripted series Blue Book, which will chronicle the true top secret U.S. Air Force-sponsored investigations into UFO-related phenomena in the 1950s and ‘60s known as “Project Blue Book.”

FremantleMedia International distributing the series globally.
Old 07-19-18, 11:14 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 272 Likes on 201 Posts
Re: Zachary Quinto revives another Nimoy franchise: In Search Of...

Just in: Zachary Quinto to direct "Three Men and a Baby" remake.
Old 07-20-18, 09:44 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 393 Likes on 281 Posts

god I haven't even thought of the show in 10 years or more. I have trouble seeing this as anything more than a history channel filler show these days though...
Old 07-20-18, 02:35 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 812 Likes on 686 Posts

The original with Nimoy is one of my favorite shows. So many "supernatural" shows in the 1980s and 1990s ripped the original In Search Of off for subject matter. Nimoy had a perfect delivery for this kind of material. I was so happy when they finally released a complete DVD set of the series.

I'm not sure these type of shows work that well anymore in today's social climate. General audiences are so cynical about everything that all the hope and wonder these shows deal in gets tarnished right out of the gate.

Last edited by PhantomStranger; 07-21-18 at 03:28 PM.
Old 07-20-18, 05:07 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 241 Likes on 152 Posts

I enjoyed In Search Of... when I was a kid. Along with movies like Chariots of the Gods and books on the unexplained. But I was a kid, and gullible enough to buy stories about bigfoot, and ghosts, and UFO's. For a kid interested in things like ancient Egypt and dinosaurs, the world was a mysterious place. Now? Not so much, sadly.
Old 08-03-18, 03:15 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 31 Likes on 21 Posts

Well I saw one episode and it was disappointing. The Superhumans episode basically ripped off the old Stan Lee's Superhumans show. I'll try one or two more episodes before writing it off.
Old 08-03-18, 03:21 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 618 Likes on 497 Posts

Originally Posted by PhantomStranger

I'm not sure these type of shows work that well anymore in today's social climate. General audiences are so cynical about everything that all the hope and wonder these shows deal in gets tarnished right out of the gate.
I think the exact opposite. Given the prevalence of alternate facts, fake news, and conspiracy nutiness in this day and age, an In Search Of... reboot would probably be very popular.
Old 08-03-18, 03:22 PM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 680 Likes on 456 Posts

Originally Posted by Jason
I enjoyed In Search Of... when I was a kid. Along with movies like Chariots of the Gods and books on the unexplained. But I was a kid, and gullible enough to buy stories about bigfoot, and ghosts, and UFO's. For a kid interested in things like ancient Egypt and dinosaurs, the world was a mysterious place. Now? Not so much, sadly.
Quick aside, but Chariots of the Gods is one of the films in the Amazon digital 99 cent sale. Loved it and the similar films as a kid at Saturday theater matinees, sure it won’t hold up, but worth the plunge for nostalgia.
Old 08-03-18, 04:27 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

When is this going to air? Looks interesting...
Old 08-03-18, 04:42 PM
Premium Member

Received 700 Likes on 466 Posts

Originally Posted by mphtrilogy
When is this going to air? Looks interesting...
Season 1
1. 1-1 20 Jul 18 Aliens
2. 1-2 27 Jul 18 Superhumans
3. 1-3 03 Aug 18 Monsters of the Deep
4. 1-4 10 Aug 18 Artificial Intelligence
5. 1-5 17 Aug 18 Time Travel
Old 08-04-18, 01:09 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,743 Likes on 1,889 Posts

Originally Posted by PhantomStranger
The original with Nimoy is one of my favorite shows. So many "supernatural" shows in the 1980s and 1990s ripped the original In Search Of off for subject matter. Nimoy had a perfect delivery for this kind of material. I was so happy when they finally released a complete DVD set of the series.

Originally Posted by Red Dog
I think the exact opposite. Given the prevalence of alternate facts, fake news, and conspiracy nutiness in this day and age, an In Search Of... reboot would probably be very popular.
I think that stuff like In Search Of... worked better in the 1970s when we weren't completely inundated with this kind of stuff. We've had years of Ancient Aliens and Finding Bigfoot, Oak Island has been made into a multi-season series where they occasionally find a button or piece of rock that might have something carved into it, and we've just had years and years of this stuff.

I used to be into this pseudoscientific unexplained stuff when I was a kid... Bigfoot, UFOs, Loch Ness Monster... and it was fun to find books on these subjects filled with blurry photo and crude sketches and watch In Search Of... on Saturday afternoons. And the idea that there was all of this mystery in the world was exciting, but I became older and more skeptical, and the people behind these new series like Moneymaker, Birnes, and Tsoukalo, tend to come off a bit I Want to Believe.
Old 08-04-18, 04:26 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 812 Likes on 686 Posts

Agree with Josh, paranormal subjects have been exhaustively covered from every angle over the past three decades by entertainment and news. There is so little mystery left in topics like Bigfoot that this type of show has lost some luster.

I gave Quinto's show a couple of episodes to interest me. There was no real attempt to spice up the presentation and Quinto wasn't trying to sell the mysteries he presented. Literally a no-name host could have done the same job just as effectively.
Old 08-04-18, 09:05 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 603 Likes on 435 Posts

Nimoy seemed to be part of the original show. He seemed invested in it.
Quinto is more of an uninformed witness expressing disbelief about everything.

I watched the fish episode and it was just more History channel bloat like Ancient Aliens.

There’s nothing here that’s in the spirit of the Nimoy show.
Old 08-04-18, 10:31 PM
Banned

Received 376 Likes on 295 Posts

The first show should star Denver Riggleman.
Old 08-04-18, 10:59 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer/Moderator

Location: Formerly known as L. Ron zyzzle - On a cloud of Judgement
Received 1,835 Likes on 1,230 Posts

The original series was formative for me, but I’ll agree with others, that times have changed and whatever impact this show may have now (for a variety of reasons) is dulled.

FWIW I read recently Quinto is working on a docu for Netflix titled I Am (Also) Spock.